Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

15 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Ray was in STC?

Only in StCO, as a cameo (most of them by me :D)

29 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

But, it also had FFs as highly important rather than Mighty and Ray, no Heavy nor Bomb whatsoever, the Echidnas were implied to have left for space rather than died out, Super Sonic... 

Mighty was one of the core member of the Chaotix, the second most important group in STC. Also, I don't remember any of the StC FF taking the spotlight and/or have important, long arcs about them like Sally did.

Heavy and Bomb, heh, IMO are not important at all in the Sonic franchise.

Super Sonic was an interesting twist of the core concept. It added tension and drama. And it gave something unique to StC, a character easily identifiable with the comic. Whether you like the idea or not, it's still unique.

The echidnas were supposed to be out there, yeah. That still makes Knuckles the (almost) last of his kind. I prefer that to "He's the last of his kind. Here, have an entire, futuristic city full of them, now let's talk about echidna politics" :huh:

IMO, there's no "best comic". Both Archie and StC have stellar artists, bad artists, great stories, dull stories, unique ideas, lame ideas... And IDW will have that too.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Nice Smile 1

3 hours ago, Mayor D said:

Holy God. It always throws me off seeing how friggin big the Fleetway comic was. I'm so used to American Comics. 

• Thumbs Up 3

6 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

So, what are y'all's hopes for Issue 4? The art is certainly better.

Eh, it'll be okay

1 hour ago, Ernest-Panda said:

I’m looking forward to finally seeing Blaze in something again.

Even though it might be a heavily sidelined role.

• Fist Bump 1

Or a role that fans might overreact against like they did ignoring everything Blaze was capable of in Archie comics simply because she was outsmarted or legitimately outgunned.

No, I’m not letting them live this shit down for a while. They know better than that.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Nice Smile 1

4 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

So, what are y'all's hopes for Issue 4? The art is certainly better.

I'm expecting to enjoy it and find some of the complaints odd. Just like the past few issues. 

5 hours ago, SaberX said:

Btw, did anyone saw the preview of the Issue 4? I find weird that Tangle do her thing with badnicks and make them explode. Isn't that suppose to harm her tail?

No more weirder than Tails being able to fly without his tails getting tangled. 

• Nice Smile 1

40 minutes ago, Razule said:

No more weirder than Tails being able to fly without his tails getting tangled. 

That should just about cover any questions about the logic affiliated with these meter tall anthropomorphic in nutshell.

As for what I'm hoping to get out of issue 4, that would be what issue 2 gave me in spades. Great banter which defines Sonic's relationship with the characters he interacts with (Tangle and Blaze in this case) as well as strong action and hopefully the first semblance of a plot that will give Sonic's meanderings some direction and turn this story into an adventure. In short, not much, but very important. I expect to be entertained regardless as all 3 issues thus far have managed that much, but then again Forces entertained me to an extent as well so...

I'm trying to lower my expectations for this issue, but here are my hopes

1) Since we have 3 heroes maybe we can fight something harder than Egg Pawns. For example, let the "Chairman" use one of Eggman giant robots, even if he'll control it from distance (obvious place for Sonic to comment that Eggman should think of it years ago).

2) Reveal Chairman identity or at very least give us some development, rather than vague talking

3) There is a reason why Blaze is here. Not excuse. A reason. She didn't fall through Genesis Portal or came to visit, something is actually happening.

Honestly, I don't give a damn fourth Chaos Emerald if Blaze overshadows Tangle or vice versa.

• Chuckle 1

6 hours ago, SaberX said:

Btw, did anyone saw the preview of the Issue 4? I find weird that Tangle do her thing with badnicks and make them explode. Isn't that suppose to harm her tail?

Her tail might be especially durable. I mean, that would fit with the stretchiness.

It would be kinda funny if she got singed from that though.

13 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

2) Reveal Chairman identity or at very least give us some development, rather than vague talking

I'm not expecting that, but only because I suspect it's closely linked to what Eggman's been up to, which is gonna be covered in #5 - 6. I'd love it if there was a substantial hint though, or maybe straight up reveal it to the audience even if Sonic doesn't know what's going on yet. That'd be a reasonable enough cliffhanger before the book enters a standard monthly schedule.

I'm still really not sure what I'm expecting with this book. 

I expected it to be different to Archie but it's simply not taking the kind of risks it should. It feels like a tame and carefully scrutinized product. It's not pleasing me at all, especially since I can't help but feel this is a regression of the kind of work I know this team is capable of. It tries to do new things yet the new things feel old. Rough and Tumble didn't impress at all. They had this good story of being outsiders who did a service to the people then expected them to kiss their feet but then they turned out to be weak and Sonic literally can always get himself out of a bind because he's perfectly awesome. God, he's too perfect. I hate him. Rough and Tumble don't impress me and are easily going to be forgotten if they don't get any pathos or motivations beyond being bullies and the only reason I'm ambivalent more than pure disliking them is because at least there wasn't a huge Mystery Box thing with them like there was with Infinite. Infinite is a joke of a character who should have absolutely been so much better than he was. 

I still also can't get a read on the characterizations of the core cast either. Sonic is the loner free spirit who wants to help people and fight for and with his friends. Tails is still the little brother best friend (though brother more means best friend these days than anything actually meaningful). Amy is growing up and quite mature being in between her Sonic Boom character and the girl who still crushes on Sonic but the confusing part is when Sonic interacts with her. He either can't be assed to give to try to be accommodating for her given that she plays off more as a mature young girl who has a crush but doesn't let it cloud her judgement. Then he has the gall to ask her to join his little detective game after telling her to keep the Resistance stuff from him? God, I'd call you perfect if you weren't being such a dick. Knuckles is confusing to read because I can't tell if he's slow and dumb or actually just too serious for his own good. 

I can't wait for them to drop the mystery box and have them get to the point of who this mystery villain is. For a new book that's supposed to be straightforward they're sure teasing and beating around the bush about who the new villain is. I get this enough with J. J. Abrams, can we please not have this be aggravating in a Sonic book? I was more happy and taken aback when Archie revealed Wendy Witchcart and Naugus as the villains of an arc straight up instead of teasing that shit like they're doing right now in the IDW Book. This is kind of exhausting more than anything. When the villain finally gets revealed can Sonic snark about it being "wow, so unexpected, a Metal Sonic/other Robotnik/Super Badnik". 

I keep seeing it praised that Sonic isn't joining the Resistance. Why? Sonic wasn't a soldier as a Freedom Fighter. If the Freedom Fighters can be compared to anything, it's the Avengers. They do things as a team, but a lot of the time each member is either doing their own thing or doing a thing in a group. Sonic is a free spirit, yes, but remember that this is the guy who loves his friends and the freedom of people. This guy is a social butterfly and is more than happy to work with people. Saying that he was a soldier as a Freedom Fighter is disingenuous and feels really dismissive of what was actually a good set up. Sonic Heroes would like a word here too. Especially since the Sonic of this book has also gone through the last 20 years of games. This is part of why this book is so infuriating. 

It both expects to have the games as the backdrop while also keeping the games total lack of continuity or that they've simply hit the reset button on the character arcs to retell them. This is so old. I'm so old. Am I too old for this? It feels like I'm too old for this. Except I loved when Archie was doing new stuff in its final years. It took all of the ideas of previous Sonic work, remixed them, did new stuff alongside the new takes and introduced a lot of fun new places and characters and stories. Champions is still a huge highlight of the previous book for being consistently fun. Eggman's Dozen was a great Robotnik story featuring a surprising return for an obscure villain with new backstory with a sibling relationship with Naugus. The way they retold Unleashed may have bothered me at first but then gradually grew bigger and more interesting and exciting. Here in the IDW book it's teasing the idea of a story than just straight having the story. The first two issues were just being in a new city and bashing up robots and chatting it up with a friend, next book. It doesn't help that none of the locations stand out from one another either whereas in the Archie book all of the places had an identity and distinct role to play. Here it's just the world at war story of Sonic Forces with none of the interesting stuff Archie had. What gives? 

Why is this so infuriating?  It feels like they're trying to make the scope larger when it's just coming off as filler until the actually fun stuff happens. I mean, okay. That's how a lot of comic books with long running stories start. Maybe though, I expected something like the IDW Ninja Turtles but now it's Sonic and that universe and they get to play with that stuff more. Instead it feels like nothing is happening but the War. Not even the stories with the Freedom Fighters felt like this in Archie. There was variety to what happened then. 

This is so frustratingly boring. It's serviceable, yes, but it's so boring. 

9 hours ago, SaberX said:

It actually looked like it did hurt her a little; she seemed to recoil from the explosions.  Nonetheless, whenever the characters roll through exploding badniks in the games, it doesn't seem to do them much damage, so I think there's simply a quietly selective rule about what actually hurts people in this series.

9 hours ago, SaberX said:

Isn't that suppose to harm her tail?

3 hours ago, Sonic Fan J said:

That should just about cover any questions about the logic affiliated with these meter tall anthropomorphic in nutshell.

When you get down to it a character spin dashing is just slamming their body into something just imagine the backaches.

14 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Holy God. It always throws me off seeing how friggin big the Fleetway comic was. I'm so used to American Comics. 

I still don't know how the store those things properly! Major barrier to collecting them on top of being American.

I don't really have any expectations right now. I'm just along for the ride. Three issues in the book needs room to grow and establish itself, but the concern Tails displayed, and everything I'm hearing about Amy's interaction with Sonic, more of that. Oh, I know when I saw issue three was a 2V2 throw down with Sonic and Knuckles I was hoping they'd catch some of that enthusiastic tag-team synergy they displayed in the OVA and a few times in Sonic X.

Here's something I'm a bit confused about: how come the Hooligans can be directly name-dropped in this universe, but Mighty and Ray are regulated to the classic universe?

It's not like Team Hooligans is an official term. Ian practically invented everything we take as fact about 2/3rds of that team by now, and he's pretty good at finding the edge cases of what he can and can't do, like saving Uncle Chuck from the chopping block by just dropping the family title, and he's said a few times now that the fanbase is a tad banal in their understanding of the regulations. On one hand he may be getting away with it because it's a small winking reference in dialog only, on the other I don't know how set in stone whose stuck where really is.

1 hour ago, FFWF said:

It actually looked like it did hurt her a little; she seemed to recoil from the explosions.  Nonetheless, whenever the characters roll through exploding badniks in the games, it doesn't seem to do them much damage, so I think there's simply a quietly selective rule about what actually hurts people in this series.

I don't think enemies are suppose explode, specifically because the spinning...it's like the difference of why the animal pops out of the shark missile badnik in Hydrocity Zone when you jump on it and it doesn't when the enemy runs into you then explodes normally.

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but something unusual I just noticed about the mystery villain....

Spoiler

....he seems to be in a different location every time we see him - his chair is completely dissimilar in each issue. The first issue has him in a fairly generic high backed Eggman chair; the second had him in a more ornate version with a slightly different profile and Orbot and Cubot were present; while in the third, the chair is completely different, being sleek and curved instead of angular.

Either he's moving around a lot or he's somehow in multiple places at once - if he's even physically present at all, the chairs seem curiously empty, with not even a partial silhouette of an occupant ever visible; I would have thought someone like Eggman Nega would have been at least partially visible even if shrouded.

I'm beginning to wonder if there's just a communicator in each of the chairs and he's directing each base remotely or if there's something else weird going on, like multiple Infinite illusions working simultaneously or Brotherhood of Metallix style Metal Sonic copies all synced together.

• Thumbs Up 4

11 minutes ago, Nestor said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but something unusual I just noticed about the mystery villain....

Hide contents

....he seems to be in a different location every time we see him - his chair is completely dissimilar in each issue. The first issue has him in a fairly generic high backed Eggman chair; the second had him in a more ornate version with a slightly different profile and Orbot and Cubot were present; while in the third, the chair is completely different, being sleek and curved instead of angular.

Either he's moving around a lot or he's somehow in multiple places at once - if he's even physically present at all, the chairs seem curiously empty, with not even a partial silhouette of an occupant ever visible; I would have thought someone like Eggman Nega would have been at least partially visible even if shrouded.

I'm beginning to wonder if there's just a communicator in each of the chairs and he's directing each base remotely or if there's something else weird going on, like multiple Infinite illusions working simultaneously or Brotherhood of Metallix style Metal Sonic copies all synced together.

Perhaps it's just from  a lack of communication between the artists, meaning an

Spoiler

inconsistent chair.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, SaberX said:

Noo, really? Whats next? Knuckles gliding?

Look, if you both guys doesn't really have interest on answering then don't. At least wouldn't waste my time reading "anthromorphic in a nutshell" type of posts.

Dude nobody is being rude to you, like at ALL. If you can't stomach even these simple, innocuous replies then maybe you shouldn't be positing these types of questions, especially ones that invite these precise replies.

If someone's tone of voice implies the question or asker being dumb then I can understand the frustration, but nobody's been doing that from what I see.

• Thumbs Up 4

They are not rude.

They answered your question. If Sonic doesn't get hurt on his back or Tails's tails don't get intermingled, then Tangle's tail will not hurt.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Nestor said:

Hide contents

I just watched "Game Theory" so I would love to dissect it to the smallest detail.... but I think Marco is right. It's probably just artists inconsistency.

Infinite's identity taught me not to jump to overanalyze stuff. (At least, not with things that I'll be soon proven wrong.)

On 19/04/2018 at 12:10 AM, Irish David said:

Is it just me or does the art look a bit off in this issue? Don't get me wrong, I love Jennifer's work but something about it doesn't look right, It might be the colours or the lines but I just can't put my finger on it. It didn't spoil my enjoyment of this issue, I like Rough and Tumble, I like them a lot. Hopefully we can get more character development for them in the future. Now onto the final issue of the month and a certain ring tailed lemur's first appearance. Oh and a Team Hooilgan reference :clap_tone2:

Ok, I’m going to retract my issues with the artwork in #3. I picked up the physical version of #3 yesterday and the artwork is better than the digital version I downloaded on Wednesday, I knew something didn’t look right but must have been the way the digital version looked because in the flesh I really liked it.