Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

She could serve as a good grounding tool or emotional stake for future stories. Since she actually is a regular citizen, rather than a world traveling hero, she can have personal stakes on the line should any future threat target her hometown, threatening friends and family. Her plight could be played up to raise tension, or even cause a point of friction between the heroes, or something a villain could even exploit.

Other than that, she could also serve as a face-piece to local level militias. Depending on how long they want to stick to the Forces formula, those regional teams will need someone to speak on their behalf from time to time.

Tangle seems like a fun character. Her status as a normie gives her a lot of possibilities that most of the cast does not have access to.

She can be used for development, since that can't happen with the game cast, unless they learn a lesson but don't change their personality, Tangle could be that character who matures, I was just hoping that issue 4 would introduce a couple of side-plots for her or Blaze, or drop some chairman hints, but no I guess :/

Really, characters like Cream, Big and the Chaotix are also pretty much normies. A lot closer to Sonic in acquaintance than most characters yes, but still regular citizens who work for pretty localised goals. Tangle wouldn't be much different to them in status. 

Yes, even Cream back in Sonic Advance 2 referred to the famous Mr. Sonic, like the citizens today.

18 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Really, characters like Cream, Big and the Chaotix are also pretty much normies. A lot closer to Sonic in acquaintance than most characters yes, but still regular citizens who work for pretty localised goals. Tangle wouldn't be much different to them in status. 

Difference is: Tangle is a citizen but she's useful in a fight, even though I did enjoy that war scene in Forces where everyone was fighting, including the Chaotix (I love them).

1 hour ago, Sega DogTagz said:

She could serve as a good grounding tool or emotional stake for future stories. Since she actually is a regular citizen, rather than a world traveling hero, she can have personal stakes on the line should any future threat target her hometown, threatening friends and family.

Eh? There are a few characters that are just citizens... and It would actually be interesting to see them interact with them more often. For example I think I mentioned in this thread, seeing shadow interact with people who thought he was a bad guy for months might be weird. And everyone else has their own personal stakes. They have friends, some characters even have family, or people close enough they see them as family. That doesn't really make her special in any regard. 

Her plight could be played up to raise tension, or even cause a point of friction between the heroes, or something a villain could even exploit.

Unless its some needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few type shit I doubt it.

Other than that, she could also serve as a face-piece to local level militias. Depending on how long they want to stick to the Forces formula, those regional teams will need someone to speak on their behalf from time to time.

Why not... just instead of one character....just make multiple characters who do that for whatever respective militia is speaking. Relegating that to one character makes the world seem incredibly small. And can make that one character annoying...quickly.

Tangle seems like a fun character. Her status as a normie gives her a lot of possibilities that most of the cast does not have access to.

You have named none. 

It will be interesting to see if Shadow wants revenge against Eggman for using his hologram and tampering his public image.

8 hours ago, DabigRG said:

I reeeally gotta get to reading Archie's stuff. Cause from I remember of that arc, I don't remember anything of that ilk.

Buying the IDW Sonic issues has made me go and start reading up on the Archie Sonic comics from the beginning. Alot of it really holds up, especially the old artwork from before around issue #50. I find the Archie continuity very interesting, especially when they have to do their own spin on whatever game tie-in they have to do. I'm at around #110, and I find the Sally/Nicole thing interesting because at this point Nicole is still nothing but a computer with the body of a calculator.

4 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

There is something that can be done with her and Tails, I just can't figure out what.

Overall I still don't feel her enough to tell what I 'want' (other than to get her).

I would think you could do some fun exchange where they talk about how they use their individual tails.

1 hour ago, silvereye27 said:

I'm at around #110, and I find the Sally/Nicole thing interesting because at this point Nicole is still nothing but a computer with the body of a calculator.

You've still got quite a way to go before it even begins to crop up, then. 

2 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

It will be interesting to see if Shadow wants revenge against Eggman for using his hologram and tampering his public image.

That might be. But I don't think that would be it. Shadow seems like a recluse if anything. And Imagine the only time he cares about his public image if it impacts his ability to do his job, or it messes with his psyche.

Random People thinking he's a bad guy probably would do nothing to stop him. But making it difficult to help people, because they don't want to be helped by him, or are actively trying to harm him and his associates would probably do more.  And feed into the " i'm a monster " thing. Though if it came to that, I don't think he would go fight egg man for that. 

He would just leave. I feel like rouge would try and contact him one day... and she just wouldn't be able to reach him him and that would be it. She would probably assume why he did it, get pissed about it and then figure out what she does from there. In a bit to protect his friends, and also not deal with people who have no interest in his help

8 hours ago, Sonic Fan J said:

Shipping aside, but not veering off of Tangle, what do you guys hope to see out of her (hopefully) inevitable meetings with the rest of cast in the future? As I loved seeing her as the energetic but in over her head goofball that she was introduced as that's what I'm hoping to see more of out of her. Just seeing her reactions to the rest of the cast and the general absurdities that go with them (an eight year old as smart as Doctor Eggman, everything Amy has become because of a crush, the world's last echidna and guardian of an artifact that could doom the world, everything about Shadow, etc. etc.).

Eh, not sure what I would look for from her, still. Her characterization isn't really too defined and she's just kind of a gimmick character at the moment. I would need to see and learn more about her before I have an idea what to think in that regard, among others.

5 hours ago, Jack the Maniac said:

Difference is: Tangle is a citizen but she's useful in a fight, even though I did enjoy that war scene in Forces where everyone was fighting, including the Chaotix (I love them).

Implying that the actual playable recurring characters, who are capable of aerial attacks, tag-team moves, super strength, durability, ninja techniques, whirlwinds, and frikkin firebreath, aren't useful in a fight, are we?

25 minutes ago, Razule said:

I wonder if it'll have anything to do with GUN.

I'm hoping we hear from GUN in general. Two Worlds or not, their complete absence and lack of mention was odd, considering the stakes and players involved.

5 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

Don't forget the original normie of the franchise: Amy, character that is driven by her own personal goal that often leads to her getting involved with the bigger stories where despite contributing, is still more focused on the people she interacts with than with the more grand (and kind of generic) goal of saving the world.

I don't mind having normies in the franchise, since I feel they balance off the characters that hail from unreachable places (Silver, Blaze) or who have lore (Knuckles) and backstories (Shadow) to offer a more grounded and relatable perspective closer to the everyday mortal, showing that anyone can be a hero and how it is them who face more personal stakes and how what is simple and even easy for the stronger, more skilled characters is actually challenging to them.

However, like with any character, I feel that there is a need to offer something that makes them unique as that will be what allows for their contributions to stand out (otherwise, they not only become just "one more" character, but can overlap and affect existing ones, a situation I don't think is fair to either side). With Tangle, I feel they still need to show what is it that her character is going to contribute with not only in terms of abilities (which was already shown on her comic debut), but what I think is the most important aspect: her personality and character interactions with both heroes and badguys.

4 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

Meh. What I really want to see is Shadow looking for Infinite. In hands of the competent writer, this could be a really interesting plot.

7 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

I would say she's less, at least they have a bigger roles/background

Chaotix - detectives, have ties to each other.

Cream - kid, has a pet Chao and mother.

Big - fisherman, his best buddy is a frog.

Tangle - citizen. That's it.

Heck, I know how each of their house looks like but for Tangle I just know she lives in a generic looking city. (I know, I know, we just met her).

1 hour ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Meh. What I really want to see is Shadow looking for Infinite. In hands of the competent writer, this could be a really interesting plot.

I would say she's less, at least they have a bigger roles/background

Chaotix - detectives, have ties to each other.

Cream - kid, has a pet Chao and mother.

Big - fisherman, his best buddy is a frog.

Heck, I know how each of their house looks like but for Tangle I just know she lives in a generic looking city. (I know, I know, we just met her).

Plus ninja training and strict(?) sheltered upbringing.

1 hour ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Wait, she lived in that city?

So I just read issue 4. Not bad. The story is extremely slow atm still and honestly I do not see it hitting the ground running hard till at least issue 20 maybe or 25.

As for tangle and blaze. I mean reading it 4 times people are really, really ,really digging to make someone saying wow your cool basically to equate to omg i love you lets make out. Seriously in no way does this issue even come close to hinting at anything and more so its just that rabid side of the fanbase that likes drawing fan fics all the time.

Also in terms of artwork. 2,4,1,3 in terms of how good the artwork was. Yet again I will say I hope we see more of issues 2 artist.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Plus ninja training and strict(?) sheltered upbringing.

Wait, she lived in that city?

Not city, "village". They're animal-people, they live in villages.

Just now, Razule said:

Okay, did Tangle live in that village?

13 minutes ago, Razule said:

The city in Sonic Forces begs to differ.

7 hours ago, Razule said:

I wonder if it'll have anything to do with GUN.

4 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

I don't think that would be interesting. There's nothing infinite could do to shadow at this point he couldn't stop. Shadow literally being removed from the plot for no reason is an admission of this. Along with that, there's no reason for him to care about infnite. He has no beef, infinite has beef with him. If infinite was looking for him, it would make more sense, infinite is another jerk who tried to take over the world and lost and some other jerk he beat the shit out of. The onus is on infinite to try and find him.  And I doubt as mentioned above shadow cares about his public image for that to be a reason to find him. 

No you might be like " well gun might send them to arrest him " one, they don't seem like the arrest squad, they seem like the destroy squad. But two, gun exists.... in human land. And probably doesn't really care about infinite and probably wont be mentioned at all. So that's not a thing. Especially given the synopsis of the plot seems to be more so about shadow trying to kill eggman for something. And I know goddamn well he ain't working knuckles, he barely works for gun as is. 

And I dunno , lastly Shadow's a cool interesting character. I rather he not waste his time with infinite who is not. Along with that, there is a good chance if infinite does come back he has no jewel. And if he has no jewel, then he's just some asshole who is worth even less time. I wouldn't be surprised if Sega Mephilies-ed, infnite. 

So I'm gonna have to dissagree hard. Its no reason for shadow to look for infnite. And infinite isn't that interesting. Sometimes you make mephilies, it happens. Rough and Tumble in pages were more interesting that infnite was in an entire video game.

I would be more interested in seeing the aftermath of being framed, or seeing where he went during that point in sonic forces plot he was removed because if he literally went directly to sonic would have solved the problem after the first level in the game.