Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

1 hour ago, Ernest-Panda said:

I already brought it up a few posts back.

What I want to know is what is it doing being sold in a UK retailer like FP?

Ahhhh I didn’t see that. Forbidden Planet have been importing stuff like this for years and I’m glad they do.

Even though we don't have the online number, I guess we can use those numbers to compare with post-reboot sales - which is a time where online stuff was already a thing, so it serves as a "thermometer".

So, remember that bundle that was sold at the SEGA shop, we now know how that T-Shirt looks like

(and i regret not being able to buy it...)

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Fist Bump 1

5 hours ago, NikoS said:

So, remember that bundle that was sold at the SEGA shop, we now know how that T-Shirt looks like

(and i regret not being able to buy it...)

Considering Tangle has MERCHANDISE, I wouldn’t be too surprised if a game appearance is soon enough. 

It's hard to say if Tangle is viable for a game appearance, but there's certainly a lot going for her right now.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well there is that Sonic racing game coming out. That would be a good way to introduce her, with maybe a little info or biography box you sometimes get in games, which explains she is from the comic. If it also means anything, I believe the last Sonic and Mario Olympics title had Sticks in it, although maybe not a great comparison when Boom was given a far bigger initial push.

I don't know, I don't think it would hurt for Sega to try and give the comic a new push, maybe try and get some brand new readers in with the comic only a few issues in. I have no idea how likely it is or how much they care, but I don't think it would hurt.

I have cometh with a new cover for issue 5.

latest.png

Eggman: Now with 40% more egg-shape.

• Promotion 5

Okay this lack of Shadow + Team Dark official fan promotion in this series is pissing me off, same for lack of Silver and sometimes Blaze. Why won't Sega see that the modern character have as much of a big fan following than the Classic 4 and Eggman? I don't understand why Shadow is held back recently being as popular as he is, he should be on Tails/Knuckles level by now as a default focus in being a main character in official material outside of Sonic and Eggman. revealing him last out of suspense is bad for business, he like Vegeta for christs sake, he makes the money much more than the other side cast does.

32 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

latest.png

Jamal Peppers must've drawn and colored this. Did you get this from the group?

34 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

latest.png

Should be Shadow's sillouette. It is his debut.

2 minutes ago, Dash Speed said:

Should be Shadow's sillouette. It is his debut.

Shadows appearing in issue 6 actually.

• Chuckle 1

1 minute ago, Fusion-Ellipsis said:

Shadows appearing in issue 6 actually.

Makes it worse since usually Shadow showing up in anything is treated as big deal that should carry on for more than just one issue. Unless 6 has more pages, I feel they won't do him or Rouge justice.

37 minutes ago, Fusion-Ellipsis said:

Slightly bigger version of the cover:

tumblr_p8lp6q7KK31udzlioo1_r1_400.jpg

...Who the fuck is "Amash"?

3 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Jim Amash. He's an inker. He worked on the Archie Sonic comics too I think.

24 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

21 minutes ago, Fusion-Ellipsis said:

Jim Amash. He's an inker. He worked on the Archie Sonic comics too I think.

Jim Amash was one of the more prolific inkers on the Archie book from around 2006 onward (probably a bit earlier than that). At least up until Terry Austin took over the main book from #200-onward. Amash remained on Universe for most of its run.

I personally love how he inks Tracy's work and I couldn't be happier they're working together again.

Also, who did this cover? ....did they get Spaz?

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

latest.png

Wide Egg

1 hour ago, Dash Speed said:

Makes it worse since usually Shadow showing up in anything is treated as big deal that should carry on for more than just one issue. Unless 6 has more pages, I feel they won't do him or Rouge justice.

Personally I think that a good character should not have trouble with displaying what they are about in as little as a single issue, just like how a good actor would be able to effectively convey their acting in just a few shots.

Secondly, I don't think that a character being popular should warrant any kind of special treatment. Either they can stand on their very own merit or they can not. Frankly, I detest the idea of other characters with better potential to be ignored because of popularity based favoritisms.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Fist Bump 1

My current beef is that we haven't seen any covers with the characters of 5/6 on them because of Eggman dominating the promotion. I can imagine a #6 variant eventually being revealed showing at least Shadow because he's a featured part of the conflict and the issue is like 6/7 weeks away. Can't guarantee the same for the Chaotix debut. 

2 hours ago, Dash Speed said:

Personally I would like for him to show up casually as well and not just as a ~huge deal~.

I disagree heavily that they're "holding back on Shadow," especially not any more than the rest of the cast. Even putting aside things like how they never shied away from him being featured in Archie, to stuff like Episode Shadow, it makes no sense in the context of this book. Rather than looking at the issue #s as if they matter, it'll be roughly three months into IDW Sonic's run. For something like a comic, I'd say that's pretty darn fast.

As for not appearing on any covers, uh. Admittedly, it'll be surprising if he isn't on at least one. But it's not a huge issue to me either. I remember when people thought Tangle or Blaze (I can't remember lol) would overshadow the other because one was...ahead of the other on a cover or two...and look, I don't know how much experience y'all have with comics, but I've learned that covers should generally not be taken that seriously.

• Thumbs Up 7

17 minutes ago, Celestia said:

Personally I would like for him to show up casually as well and not just as a ~huge deal~.

I disagree heavily that they're "holding back on Shadow," especially not any more than the rest of the cast. Even putting aside things like how they never shied away from featuring him in Archie, to stuff like Episode Shadow, it makes no sense in the context of this book. Rather than looking at the issue #s as if they matter, it'll be roughly three months into IDW Sonic's run. For something like a comic, I'd say that's pretty darn fast.

As for not appearing on any covers, uh. Admittedly, it'll be surprising if he isn't on at least one. But it's not a huge issue to me either. I remember when people thought Tangle or Blaze (I can't remember lol) would overshadow the other because one was...ahead of the other on a cover or two...and look, I don't know how much experience y'all have with comics, but I've learned that covers should generally not be taken that seriously.

Shadow being the most plot oriented and story heavy character in the series not a huge deal, can I have some your pot? Shadow is bigger than anyone outside of Sonic, Tails and Eggman as a story heavy character, and he gets zero chances to tie to those three on a casual basis in new stories because they are nostalgia biased plots. 

Thats not really the case with Sonic, when it comes to advertising popularity for the series. When it narrows down to it, the characters that have less popularity have more promotion debuts than the actual popular characters, it comes off as the official sources trying to push said characters into being on the spotlight with Sonic and by proxy trying to make characters more famous and iconic as said popular characters. Look at Amy, she's not any where as popular as Sonic, Tails, knuckles and Shadow is but she's in every promotional advertisment before the real big players in some game or some comic are revealed alongside the new characters, this is apparent with Shadow and even Rouge since she's pretty much one of the most popular furry sex symbols in the series.