Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

31 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

If Sticks is accepted, is there a chance Zooey can appear too with SEGA's authorization??

No need to make her a full lover of Tails, but have them have some moments like Knouge.

I would rather not. Honestly, Zooey as bland love interest as you can get.

Personally I don't want anyone from Boom in IDW, only Sticks, maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabe Lyric & D-feakt if Flynn has reeeeally good ideas for then.

17 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Personally I don't want anyone from Boom in IDW, only Sticks, maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabe Lyric & D-feakt if Flynn has reeeeally good ideas for then.

D-fekt is a very cool and interesting character too!

On 5/16/2018 at 12:55 PM, Ernest-Panda said:

New issue 5 cover.

(this actually cover A despite what’s listed)

Is it just me or does this looks like Chronicles's art style?

1 hour ago, VEDJ-F said:

I do not like the implication that I would read issue 3 and not immediately go "Well what the fuck time to grill Ian on this".

Uh...what?

52 minutes ago, GentlemanX said:

Theoretically as Sega owns Zooey. But unlike Sticks, the rest of Boom's original characters weren't designed by Sonic Team, making their use beyond Boom unlikely. In the same way Manic or Chris are technically owned by Sega and legally free to use, but Sega will likely mandate they can't be used beyond titles under the Underground, X,or Boom branding.

Well, Manic is an automatic no-no anyway.

54 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Not to mention she's not that many steps away from being older Tails in a dress.

17 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Well, Manic is an automatic no-no anyway.

Well, so is Chris, if the first SDCC is any indication. 

21 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Well, so is Chris, if the first SDCC is any indication. 

I was referring to the mandates and regional legal issues, but okay.

Do y'all think we should have character development in IDW Sonic, regardless of mandates (assuming they are still there)?

• Fist Bump 1

3 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Do y'all think we should have character development in IDW Sonic, regardless of mandates (assuming they are still there)?

Yes, mainly to try and establish original characters.

I'm not sure you can ever really develop Sonic's character. However, I think he can learn lessons or morals from whatever story is being told. I don't think there is neccesarily anything wrong with Sonic being a static character, arguably he is more like a centrepiece to focus stories, other characters, action and adventure around.

I think there are ideas you could work with. In issue #2 Amy and Sonic argue over him not wanting to return to others to work with the resistance. Perhaps you could follow that up with something happening, his absence leads to the resistance suffering a major defeat, and that his attitude can lead to things going wrong.

Sorry I'm waffling.

16 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

In a sense, definitely yes.

Sonic should be Sonic and Tails should be Tails can be done in a way that allows their characters to learn and behave a little differently between adventures, but is somewhat catered to how they would react to things.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, DabigRG said:

In a sense, definitely yes.

Sonic should be Sonic and Tails should be Tails can be done in a way that allows their characters to learn and behave a little differently between adventures, but is somewhat catered to how they would react to things.

I hope that SEGA is kind enough to allow that. (I still can't believe how anal they can be sometimes.)

Sonic can have character development, he just faces the same hurdles that any outsourced license faces in that you don't want to develop him so much that he no longer represents what it was that made him the attractive character he was in the first place.

Take Sonic's arrogance for example. Its easy to put pen to paper and write up a tale where Sonic jumps to conclusions, is a bit too hasty in his actions and suffers the consequences (like in Lost world). Sonic can learn from that encounter, grow from it - develop - but at the same time as a writer you don't want to remove it as a core part of who he is. You can't push that brash arrogance away just for the sake of developing the character.

The next time you want to show that specific character flaw, you have to get a tad more creative. Instead of him jumping to collisions, its him over-estimating himself (several fights against Metal). The next time its under-estimating someone else (like in Lost World... again lol). The time after that he gets baited by someone preying on his pride. In each instance, Sonic can grow as a character, develop - but never exactly escape the underlining status quo of who and what Sonic is. He can change, react to these situations with more class and understanding, but so long as the writer remains one step ahead, he can remain the same Sonic we all know and love while also learning valuable lessons.

IDW is a new series and dosn't have a 200 issue back catalog to worry about. The can essentially start this process from scratch if they so desired. They will have a ways to go before we have to start worrying about developing a development cycle for Sonic as a character. It'll take time for stakes to raise and event to go down before that even becomes a problem

• Thumbs Up 4

More like not good for connected storytelling.

It would be a whole different matter if it were disconnected a la the Boom route.

2 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Another thing I hope is that this trope doesn't happen: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/StatusQuoIsGod
Apparently, according to TV Tropes, there was (maybe is) a mandate that said NOTHING could change without SEGA's permission. That's also not very good for storytelling.

Nothing about the SEGA characters can change without permission. Mis-remembering the wording of the mandates causes them to seem more overblown than they really are. 

Sonic can't bawl and be over-emotional = "Sonic can never emote at all beyond being a cheese machine even when Eggman is destroying everything and everyone he knows and loves and must crack jokes and Nike smile even while Tails is in pieces before his very eyes"

Sonic always has to win = "Sonic can literally never be challenged and he can never lose anything at all, consequences don't exist"

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 2

In all fairness, it is Sega...you know, the king of making extremes?

I don't think that characters need to have some personal growth or a life-changing experience on every single adventure that they have. Just show some of the layers of their personalities, play their dynamics (which Ian does pretty well already) and have their characters, how they act and behave to different situations be what pushes the story that is set by the plot.

Personally, having the characters feel like they're believable, counts much more than them developing. People need to realize that these characters need to remain more or lessconsistent for as long as the franchise lasts. For example Tails can't grow too much or else he becomes something else... but at the same time, they can't remain static or else they risk regressing them, again, like what has happened to Tails in the last few games.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

16 minutes ago, Skull Leader said:

Personally, having the characters feel like they're believable, counts much more than them developing. People need to realize that these characters need to remain more or lessconsistent for as long as the franchise lasts. For example Tails can't grow too much or else he becomes something else... but at the same time, they can't remain static or else they risk regressing them, again, like what has happened to Tails in the last few games.

Honestly, I'd that said regression came more from trying way too hard to give him a progressed yet flawed character-driven arc and then pressing the fuck outta the backpedal when people obviously hated it.

6 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Another thing I hope is that this trope doesn't happen: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/StatusQuoIsGod
Apparently, according to TV Tropes, there was (maybe is) a mandate that said NOTHING could change without SEGA's permission. That's also not very good for storytelling.

I mean

This is the same thing Archie had in both of its runs. I don't really agree with some of the stuff Sega might have imposed in the past, or some of the seemingly arbitrary limits they set on Archie like not allowing the use of Omega or Cream for so long, but... this is a licensed comic. At worst right now, IDW probably has to uphold the classic/modern split and two world nonsense, but that's whatever. I don't think you give the creative team enough credit; they have worked within those limitations for so long and made some really good and memorable stories all the same. It'll be fine. And I say that as someone who's pretty ambivalent about this book and the franchise in general at this point.

• Thumbs Up 6

Yeah. For as much as I do tout the words "character development" a lot, I do ultimately think it's more a matter of making sure they feel layered and dynamic that'll win the day in the end. Having interesting characters and working off that angle to create some really great character interactions will do a lot for your story on it's own. Development doesn't even have to mean that they morph into a completely new person as the book goes along. It could just boil down to some hard won victories and learning to appreciate laying back and taking it easy every once in a while. 

Just don't be likeable really. All the character development in the world isn't going to help you if I don't like you after all.

Everything else, we'll figure out as time goes on.

12 hours ago, Razule said:

Nothing about the SEGA characters can change without permission. Mis-remembering the wording of the mandates causes them to seem more overblown than they really are. 

Sonic can't bawl and be over-emotional = "Sonic can never emote at all beyond being a cheese machine even when Eggman is destroying everything and everyone he knows and loves and must crack jokes and Nike smile even while Tails is in pieces before his very eyes"

Sonic always has to win = "Sonic can literally never be challenged and he can never lose anything at all, consequences don't exist"

THANK YOU! God it bugs me how everyone misinterprets what the Mandates actually say.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

-When will sneak peaks of issue 5 come?

-When will issue 8 solicits come?

-No one knows.

-No one knows.

If anyone knew, they'd have said already. There's no point asking when here as it's random and sometimes spread across comic sites.