Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Issue 5 was ok, but too predictable. Right from the start, I could tell Eggman was only faking his amnesia. Seriously, this trope has been done way too many times with Eggman, where he acts like nothing's wrong, only to reveal at last minute he was faking the whole time. Did we really need a whole comic with that as the plot? 

Despite how simple and predictable it was, the artwork was still nice, and the surprise at the end was ok, but overall, it was probably the most forgettable issue of the comics so far. 

9 minutes ago, SpongicX said:

Seriously, this trope has been done way too many times with Eggman, where he acts like nothing's wrong, only to reveal at last minute he was faking the whole time. Did we really need a whole comic with that as the plot? 

I'm gonna assume this is mainly a comic thing (and Chronicles), because the games have never went with this...

Even Colors barely because the idea was dropped immediately...

I'd say Colours counts (and is likely what Sonic is referring to when he said Eggman's tried that sort of thing before) even if the game didn't really do anything with it. Other than that though, I can't think of anything else.

Spoiler

On another note, I think the cubes during the flashback where he arrives in the village indicates that Eggman was stuck in Null Space (which works since that's where the final boss took place and we don't see what happened to him afterwards), rather than this being a replica or anything. It's plausible I guess, but 1) is there even a Ruby in existence anymore and if not what else would cause this and 2) blah blah Ockham's razor etc.

SzoF7ub.png

Also I guess whoever's in charge of the Empire right now didn't (and still doesn't) even know Eggman was there? Makes me wonder even more what they're even trying to do with the badniks, since "find Eggman" was one theory...

• Thumbs Up 3

Issue 5 is the first issue since 2 where I finally felt some interest in what was going on and where the story was going. Issues 1-4 were a way too prolonged Issue 1 where nothing really happened and it's not like we got to learn much of the world they were building and the character intros were just kind of... there for the most part. 

I don't think I can really criticize anything besides it being a story that's doing its best to salvage a pretty poor game that Sega will insist was a success when the only good part of it was the OC maker and gameplay. 

So onto all of the positives with spoilers: 

Spoiler

So I was hoping the comic would be done with introducing one or two characters at a time and they finally are it seems. We got introduced to five Sonic characters and their intros all made sense to the narrative flow of the story. Sonic wants to know where The Eggman is and the Chaotix found him. But it turns out he has amnesia and that it's taken form as a kindly Kintobor styled persona named Mr. Tinker. I don't think he's faking it either even with those last two pages being extremely forboding. 

For once this whole Badnik squad attacking the city wasn't the primary focus. The real story was on the character writing and story and it was great this time. Yardley brought out everyone's personality with their pencils and Flynn had a ton of fun writing these characters in a very natural way. 

Also wow? Way to get a little political and actually say something, Flynn. Sonic having to make a hard call about whether or not to throw Eggman in jail or let him go scott free while he has amnesia was a bit intense. He was actually considering Robotnik's War Crimes but then weighing that the guy is more a mental case than a criminal here and needs good people to help him out. This was very smart writing and wow, Sonic might actually know how to deal with people who have mental illnesses. I'm amazed at that. 

Now that just leaves Issue 6 with the cliffhanger ending of this issue. Wow, they're going to make this Heroes Fighting One Another trope work naturally to the story. This story is everything Forces should have been. I'm legitimately hooked now. 

A great job was done on this issue. Congrats, now I'm no longer upset about the Freedom Fighters and Egg Bosses being missing. It just took you getting over than introduction phase. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I just read it and...

Spoiler

It's very interesting. I'm not at the point where I'm going to just assume what I feel is obvious considering the way this issue handled the situation. It's a bit of a balancing act with a plot point like this. It takes a bit of skill to sell this situation in a way that doesn't make everyone look like an idiot. I'd say the one thing I wish they'd do was clarify a bit more what tests and observations they did on Eggman a bit more. If it's just, "we watched him when he thought he was alone and he did nothing", then that's not really enough. All that could mean is that it isn't time to act on anything just yet.

That, however, leads into the question of why he'd need to wait at all though. Not to mention the fact that Orbot and Cubot know nothing and that there's still someone in Eggman's seat. There's also the fact that he let the name "Eggmanland" slip out of his mouth when I know for certain he wouldn't say something like that directly to Sonic if he was trying to keep himself hidden and was pulling a ruse.

Also, it's interesting seeing Shadow here with this specific motivation in mind. My head-canon kind of saw him with a little more respect for Eggman than some of the other characters. I guess I still like to imagine the Team Dark from SA2 could still potentially reunite for the sake of adhering to the convenience of a specific, yet to be written plot. 

I won't immediately jump to saying Rouge is relegated to sidekick again since she's literally done and said nothing but it wouldn't surprise me.

Also, Vector's very serious here. He only really got a bit of a goofy wind when he reacted to Charmy falling on his head. I didn't mind that of course. I love it when they play up Vector's serious side, so long as he continues to feel more balanced. Charmy and Espio got their own cool moments too.

Already talked about this but, the part where he's riding on the motobug and high-fiving Cubot is magnificent. 

No matter where this story goes, I wish it were canon for the sake of those two moments alone. That and whatever happens here will be better than what the Sonic Team of today can come up with regardless.

Also...

Spoiler

Mr. Tinker did nothing wrong.

tumblr_inline_p9jv3bNpHB1rhuj6j_540.jpg

Does this color scheme look familiar to anyone? :)

16 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

N’aaaw the letters page ❤️

tumblr_inline_p9jg2zdk3y1rnzwt4_500.jpg

Aw....

Pfffft, the cliffhanger for the last issue was setting up this reveal. 

1527647110997.jpg

He really did fix everything, first time I legit laughed at this comic lol.

Eggman having amnesia is really interesting, that is if he has amnesia at all. I really want to believe that Eggman intentionally gave himself amnesia somehow to gain the trust of Sonic and then when he slowly regains his memory, he'll betray Sonic.

It's kinda like what Light Yagami did in Death Note, but maybe Sonic isn't as clever as that series.

Then again, I don't see why Eggman would slip-up at the last second after keeping a perfect act for days.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Cuz said:

Well, that doesn't exactly bode well.

1 hour ago, Celestia said:

I'd say Colours counts (and is likely what Sonic is referring to when he said Eggman's tried that sort of thing before) even if the game didn't really do anything with it. Other than that though, I can't think of anything else.

Eh, sounds like Boom Bitterness.

1 hour ago, Celestia said:

Hide contents

On another note, I think the cubes during the flashback where he arrives in the village indicates that Eggman was stuck in Null Space (which works since that's where the final boss took place and we don't see what happened to him afterwards), rather than this being a replica or anything. It's plausible I guess, but 1) is there even a Ruby in existence anymore and if not what else would cause this and 2) blah blah Ockham's razor etc.

SzoF7ub.png

Also I guess whoever's in charge of the Empire right now didn't (and still doesn't) even know Eggman was there? Makes me wonder even more what they're even trying to do with the badniks, since "find Eggman" was one theory...

That does make the most sense.

13 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

tumblr_inline_p9jv3bNpHB1rhuj6j_540.jpg

Does this color scheme look familiar to anyone? :)

tumblr_inline_p9jg2zdk3y1rnzwt4_500.jpg

Aw....

Oh, I knew it reminded me of something!

I hope they run with this for a few more issues and not just have Eggman reveal himself next month, this storyline actually has some potential and it would allow the writers to work with other villains while Eggman is out of the picture for a while. 

...Sonic's just gotta fight off a murderous Shadow. 

• Thumbs Up 3

26 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

...Sonic's just gotta fight off a murderous Shadow. 

Which would be harder than fighting off a moiderous E-123 Omega?

2 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Which would be harder than fighting off a moiderous E-123 Omega?

Well, if Sonic Heroes and 06 are anything to go by...

Just be happy it's Shadow again.

3 hours ago, StaticMania said:

I'm gonna assume this is mainly a comic thing (and Chronicles), because the games have never went with this...

Even Colors barely because the idea was dropped immediately...

I’m not just talking about the games alone, I’m also referring to Sonic Boom. It doesn’t matter if canon or not, we’ve seen enough of Eggman pretending to act like he’s not evil anymore, and it’s getting old.

4 hours ago, SpongicX said:

I’m not just talking about the games alone, I’m also referring to Sonic Boom. It doesn’t matter if canon or not, we’ve seen enough of Eggman pretending to act like he’s not evil anymore, and it’s getting old.

Well, like I said, I feel as though the comic managed to do a decent job of setting up the possibility that there may be more going on here than him just pretending to act like he's not evil. The whole time I was reading it, I was recognizing what kind of plot it was and focusing more on how they were going to justify the characters not seeing through it if it was an act OR supply sufficient enough red-herrings to support why it wasn't an act.

I think the bit at the very end, ironically, is what helped carry this across the finish line; the part where Mr. Tinker says he hopes Sonic will be able to see Eggmanland one day. If Eggman was indeed just keeping it close to his chest that he was evil, him blurting that out to Sonic, the ONE person he absolutely would make sure not to let it slip that he knew what an Eggmanland was, wouldn't make any sense.

Secondly, there's also the less talked about mystery angle about why he'd HAVE to stay in this village and pretend he wasn't Eggman LONG before the people who'd care the most could show up. He even broke out of the cell and stayed to make it better. At the point where you break out, there's no reason to then pretend you're a nice person.

And third, there's the mysterious person in the chair who I assumed was being revealed as Eggman when I saw him peering through the window at the end of Issue 4, but it didn't hit me that those were supposed to be two vastly different locations and that he didn't just build an underground base in that cabin. 

This is definitely a more interesting set-up than the typical amnesia plot so far. It also helps that I'm not assuming to know where they're going with it. I'm not choosing to treat this as though it's a fact that Eggman is faking before I've seen the reveal of what's going on. It all hinges on what the reveal is before I deem it a complete success of coarse. If it is just that he's faking and none of those plot points actually mean anything then that'd be kind of lame.

• Thumbs Up 4

Eggman letting on that he does not have amnesia makes perfect sense honestly. He can play the amnesia card and act like a frail scared old man any time Sonic tries to call him out on his crap, and basically turn his friends against him by keeping up the good guy shtick. I would enjoy a good guy Eggman for a while kinda like when we had Good Guy Luthor, but I'm pretty sure he's faking it.

I just don't see Shadow killing Eggman all willy nilly like this. Bring him in to custody sure, even if as an amnesiac sure, but straight out destroy? That feels wrong for him I think. I dunno I just can't see him killing the last Robotnik, even if he is evil. I mean Gerald went insane, and basically was gonna do horrible things too, but I don't think Shadow would harm him. Stop his plans sure, incarcerate Eggman despite being an "amnesiac" sure (Even if could be hypocritical XD), but not outright kill (I don't really count the non canon endings in ShTH).

• Thumbs Up 1

I could see it going either way at this point, they established just enough doubt for me. Yeah it'd make sense if he's just lying low in the village (it's possible he found out someone's taken control of the Empire), but it'd be more interesting if it's legit and it took at least a while for him to go back to "normal."

No matter what's going on, I'd love to see an arc later on where Eggman, inspired by his sudden good PR, decides to ruin Sonic's reputation somehow. (...Yes, I'm still bummed that Man of the Year never got a part two, how did you know?)

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, dbzfan7 said:

Eggman letting on that he does not have amnesia makes perfect sense honestly. He can play the amnesia card and act like a frail scared old man any time Sonic tries to call him out on his crap, and basically turn his friends against him by keeping up the good guy shtick. I would enjoy a good guy Eggman for a while kinda like when we had Good Guy Luthor, but I'm pretty sure he's faking it.

I'm not certain that specific angle would make perfect sense. If that slip was intentional, that'd be interesting, but if the angle is that he's trying to make Sonic seem like he's crazy that'll fall in line with a completely different cliche that I'm not too fond of. It's hard to imagine them taking Eggman's word over Sonic's, perceived amnesia or not.

The reason I'm interested in this is because of all the unexplained mysterious elements about it that were dropped to make it feel like there were actual variables to consider, even if one were to assume he was faking. His actions are left open to even more speculation on that front because of that one line. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I'm not certain that specific angle would make perfect sense. If that slip was intentional, that'd be interesting, but if the angle is that he's trying to make Sonic seem like he's crazy that'll fall in line with a completely different cliche that I'm not too fond of. It's hard to imagine them taking Eggman's word over Sonic's, perceived amnesia or not.

The reason I'm interested in this is because of all the unexplained mysterious elements about it that were dropped to make it feel like there were actual variables to consider, even if one were to assume he was faking. His actions are left open to even more speculation on that front because of that one line. 

I think it would. Especially when he has the children on his side. I don't see Sonic trying to take him down, while the village kids are crying about the hedgehog that is beating up a nice old man for all they know. Really wouldn't be the first time this kind of plot happened. I haven't seen Sonic X in a really long time (for a good reason), but I recall this more or less happened there over the whole moon fiasco.

I think it would. Especially when he has the children on his side. I don't see Sonic trying to take him down, while the village kids are crying about the hedgehog that is beating up a nice old man for all they know. Really wouldn't be the first time this kind of plot happened.

I don't think it would. At least I would never say it makes "perfect" sense. I know it wouldn't be the first time that kind of plot has happened, that's why I called it a cliche. It's a typical cartoon tactic that usually isn't written very well or very convincingly. If that were the angle this situation were treading down, they'd need to write it considerably well in order for me to buy it without thinking the other hero characters were acting like idiots. There's also the fact that it's honestly one of the more least interesting of the directions they could take because of how typical it is.

The reason I'm enjoying this amnesia thing is because these actions, taken at face value, actually don't immediately make sense nor are they something that's inherently simple to figure out. Usually, it's a bit more obvious when a person is faking and for a while, as I was reading it, I was worried it might end up being that way, but adding that Eggmanland line in as well as how strange Eggman's actions were upon escaping the cell and the yet to be revealed identity of the person in the chair are just making things writhe with possibility. Eggman faking could still be a possibility but why let it slip for something as silly as a chance to mess with Sonic in a vain attempt to get people to turn on him...? If he's decided he needs to stick around in this village for some reason, why risk it at all? Not saying that you're wrong but it's looking to be something a little more than that on my end. And that's only IF it turns out it was intentional. If it turns out to just be something typical, it's going to feel a little odd.

Also, I don't think Sonic would just immediately resort to beating him up regardless. Seems a little odd.

7 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I don't think it would. At least I would never say it makes "perfect" sense. I know it wouldn't be the first time that kind of plot has happened, that's why I called it a cliche. It's a typical cartoon tactic that usually isn't written very well or very convincingly. If that were the angle this situation were treading down, they'd need to write it considerably well in order for me to buy it without thinking the other hero characters were acting like idiots. There's also the fact that it's honestly one of the more least interesting of the directions they could take because of how typical it is.

The reason I'm enjoying this amnesia thing is because these actions, taken at face value, actually don't immediately make sense nor are they something that's inherently simple to figure out. Usually, it's a bit more obvious when a person is faking and for a while, as I was reading it, I was worried it might end up being that way, but adding that Eggmanland line in as well as how strange Eggman's actions were upon escaping the cell and the yet to be revealed identity of the person in the chair are just making things writhe with possibility. Eggman faking could still be a possibility but why let it slip for something as silly as a chance to mess with Sonic in a vain attempt to get people to turn on him...? If he's decided he needs to stick around in this village for some reason, why risk it at all? Not saying that you're wrong but it's looking to be something a little more than that on my end. And that's only IF it turns out it was intentional. If it turns out to just be something typical, it's going to feel a little odd.

Also, I don't think Sonic would just immediately resort to beating him up regardless. Seems a little odd.

I was using an extreme case. I mean the village loves him, so I don't think they'd take kindly to any harassment to someone who does good for their community. I say it makes perfect sense because it's in character for him to do that. Like I said I believe what I said was basically the plot of that Sonic X episode where he gives power to the world or whatever, and basically turns everyone against Sonic. So the whole playing the good guy shtick while really not being good has been done with Eggman before. So I don't see why it couldn't happen again now.

I am personally routing for it to be a legit case, but I'm pretty certain it's fake.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was using an extreme case. I mean the village loves him, so I don't think they'd take kindly to any harassment to someone who does good for their community. I say it makes perfect sense because it's in character for him to do that. Like I said I believe what I said was basically the plot of that Sonic X episode where he gives power to the world or whatever, and basically turns everyone against Sonic. So the whole playing the good guy shtick while really not being good has been done with Eggman before. So I don't see why it couldn't happen again now.

I am personally routing for it to be a legit case, but I'm pretty certain it's fake.

Okay, but when I said it doesn't make any sense, it wasn't based on a judgement of his character. I think you might have just misunderstood the context of my original post somehow.

I'm saying that based on what we know of the current situation, and not accounting for things that haven't been explained yet, "Eggman letting on that he has amnesia intentionally" doesn't make sense. I pointed that out because him doing that, on it's own, doesn't make sense and that the reason it's a GOOD thing that it doesn't make sense is because it opens up possibilities for explanations as to why he would (if it was intentional) and that could lead to something interesting. 

I'm NOT saying that it CAN'T make sense when they give us an explanation. I'm saying that, on it's own, it currently doesn't and that's great because it lends itself more to speculation as to why he would. That way, when we find out the explanation it WILL make sense.

Also, the plot to that Sonic X episode didn't hinge on people not believing Sonic for no reason. He was hypnotizing people with the Sunshine Balls he was installing all over the place. That's how he was able to reach the level of ridiculous acceptance as to actually become the new president. 

2 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Okay, but when I said it doesn't make any sense, it wasn't based on a judgement of his character. I think you might have just misunderstood the context of my original post somehow.

I'm saying that based on what we know of the current situation, and not accounting for things that haven't been explained yet, "Eggman letting on that he has amnesia intentionally" doesn't make sense. I pointed that out because him doing that, on it's own, doesn't make sense and that the reason it's a GOOD thing that it doesn't make sense is because it opens up possibilities for explanations as to why he would (if it was intentional) and that could lead to something interesting. 

I'm NOT saying that it CAN'T make sense when they give us an explanation. I'm saying that, on it's own, it currently doesn't and that's great because it lends itself more to speculation as to why he would. That way, when we find out the explanation it WILL make sense.

Also, the plot to that Sonic X episode didn't hinge on people not believing Sonic for no reason. He was hypnotizing people with the Sunshine Balls he was installing all over the place. That's how he was able to reach the level of ridiculous acceptance as to actually become the new president. 

Ah well I suppose it's the angel you look at I guess. If he's faking it then I don't see it as an error as taunting and messing with Sonic is a kink of his or something. If he isn't faking it, then perhaps it's some sign of a mental block that is unfolding. Dunno yet, even if I don't really expect too much.

Ah ok I haven't seen that for like a decade so I don't really remember all the details ^^;. It'll be 2 decades eventually and I'll say the same thing.

Ah well I suppose it's the angel you look at I guess. If he's faking it then I don't see it as an error as taunting and messing with Sonic is a kink of his or something. If he isn't faking it, then perhaps it's some sign of a mental block that is unfolding. Dunno yet, even if I don't really expect too much.

Ah ok I haven't seen that for like a decade so I don't really remember all the details ^^;. It'll be 2 decades eventually and I'll say the same thing.

Well, again, I didn't say it wasn't something his character would do. That's not what I'm getting at. I was just pointing out within my observation that this situation is a strange one that doesn't have any immediate obvious answers.  

Just now, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Well, again, I didn't say it wasn't something his character would do. That's not what I'm getting at. I was just pointing out within my observation that this situation is a strange one that doesn't have any immediate obvious answers.  

I know which is fair enough. Though I wouldn't feel out of place making wager that he's faking it. I feel like I'd win some money on that XP.

11 hours ago, Ivo the Coldsteel said:

Yeah, I'm not really expecting anything too surprising as far as this mystery villain goes. 

Hide contents

If it's not Eggman himself (and Ian said in the interview it'd be a "new antagonistic force" or something to that effect, so maybe Tinker is the real Eggman?), I'm betting on it being Metal Sonic. The blue-ish font and references to elements of Heroes (traditional Egg Pawns rather than Forces ones, the appearance of the Egg Fleet on a cover) seem to suggest that.

I really hope you're right with Metal.  For one thing it would mean the comics would finally give him a chance to take the big bad chair for a spin and it would play as a more surprising twist than going with "Surprise!  The possibly non-Eggman villain is actually... just Eggman again."  Besides, I kinda want to see this Mr Tinker plot play out a bit longer.  There's a lot of interesting directions Ian could go with it.