Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

13 minutes ago, Almar said:

Adventure hardly had evidence that Sonic came from another world. And Naka is one of Sonic's Founding Fathers. No Iizuka.

Point is, Iizuka is in charge now and Naka isn't.  If Iizuka says something, it's Word of God.  Iizuka could suddenly say "Sonic loves to swim and he's really good at it!" and that would be the new canon, because guess who's in charge of making the big Sonic games.  I'd imagine Sega itself has some say in what Sonic is, but I doubt they enforce anything other than "blue and runs fast".

• Thumbs Up 1

This whole discussion and much of the forum is pointless if we're just going to wave off all issues in the plots/setting with Iizuka saying something and applying no scrutiny. It's not like Iizuka hasn't contradicted himself/games before (see the Super Emeralds being out of the canon until they're in).

1 hour ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

In that case we have two options:
1. Ian lied to us. If so, why? He doesn't seem like the type of person to do that...
2. SEGA lied to Ian. If this is true, it shows just how scummy they are.

None of the above. Yuji Naka left Sega in 2006. Takashi Iizuka has been the head of Sonic Team ever since. The magazine is from 2011. That very issue also has an interview with Iizuka, where he says that there's a human world and a Sonic world.

Like, I thought all of this would have gone without saying? Did you even look at the link?

• Thumbs Up 2

10 hours ago, Almar said:

It's not like Iizuka hasn't contradicted himself/games before (see the Super Emeralds being out of the canon until they're in).

No no--the Super Emeralds are out of the MODERN canon, with the Classic canon following Generations revealed them to be cracked and depowered.

15 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

No no--the Super Emeralds are out of the MODERN canon, with the Classic canon following Generations revealed them to be cracked and depowered.

...when was that shown?

3 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

I thought they where just pedestals?

Nope, apparently those were the Super Emeralds in Sonic 3 & Knuckles, as Sonic needed to go there to activate/super-charge them from what I've heard.

4 pages of Two World talk and I star missing Shadow discussion.

36 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

8 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Nope, apparently those were the Super Emeralds in Sonic 3 & Knuckles, as Sonic needed to go there to activate/super-charge them from what I've heard.

Sorry, but I think you got something wrong.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Super Emerald just our typical Chaos Emeralds, powered-up by Master Emerald?

And since Super Forms like Super Sonic are temporary, perhaps Super Emeralds are temporary as well, turning back into Chaos Emeralds. Maybe if you rub Chaos Emeralds against Master Emerald once more, Chaos Emeralds will turn again into Super Emeralds, it just Sonic never had a need to use Super Emeralds so far again.

...And now I said wrote Emerald so many times, world feels weird to me.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Huh. Didn't know about that.

2 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Super Emerald just our typical Chaos Emeralds, powered-up by Master Emerald?

And since Super Forms like Super Sonic are temporary, perhaps Super Emeralds are temporary as well, turning back into Chaos Emeralds. Maybe if you rub Chaos Emeralds against Master Emerald once more, Chaos Emeralds will turn again into Super Emeralds, it just Sonic never had a need to use Super Emeralds so far again.

That was my second understanding, yes.

Boy, wouldn't that make for an awesome milestone?

Fan theory is that the emeralds seen in the past, in SA, are in fact the Super Emeralds, due to the Chaos Emeralds being kept close to the Master Emerald for a long time.

latest?cb=20120203203953

• Nice Smile 1

1 hour ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

IIRC they strait up said super emeralds aren't a thing, I might be wrong. But i'm pretty sure super emeralds are a dead meme. A bonus in a game that wasn't really canon that people have been trying theorize  into canon for years.

Honestly considering the "Super Emeralds" are just "the Chaos Emeralds but vaguely stronger due to exposure to the M.E." I always felt they'd be a harmless thing to remain canon. You wouldn't even need to give it a name or anything, just, poof, in times they're all gathered together like they're supposed(?) to be, they change shape and are vaguely stronger because they're magic rocks. But I don't begrudge them for treating it purely as a bonus non-canon thing since that seems like the most likely intent back in '93/'94. As controversial as it is, I'm even more confident that goes for Super Tails and Knuckles too, lol.

Though I wonder why they were so big in the flashbacks in SA1. The only thing I can think of is that maybe it was to make them more "noticeable" compared to their usual size throughout the rest of the game? But I don't see how that'd be necessary. Weird.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

13 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Iizuka, we love youuuuuuuuu...

Also, I wonder, even though it's REALLY heavily based on the games (even more so than the Archie reboot), will the IDW continuity eventually branch off into it's own thing, like Archie did, or will SEGA keep a tight leash on it and only uses it as a game tie-in material? 

Well there's characters and events that are almost certainly never going to be referenced in the Games so it kinda already is it's own thing it's just more tied to the games than Archie was.

Like I'm sure they can tell their own story but they'll probably need to update to match the current game. Like right now it resembles Forces in design but once the next mainline Game comes along it'll probably change to match it.    

17 minutes ago, Celestia said:

Honestly considering the "Super Emeralds" are just "the Chaos Emeralds but vaguely stronger due to exposure to the M.E." I always felt they'd be a harmless thing to remain canon. You wouldn't even need to give it a name or anything, just, poof, in times they're all gathered together like they're supposed(?) to be, they change shape and are vaguely stronger because they're magic rocks. But I don't begrudge them for treating it purely as a bonus non-canon thing since that seems like the most likely intent back in '93/'94. As controversial as it is, I'm even more confident that goes for Super Tails and Knuckles too, lol.

I think i was strait up said that about super tails and knuckles during mania? I forget where. But yeah its a fun bonus thing that ain't real. I kinda wish they would do more fun bonus things that aren't real though just for funzies. 

Like Ice Blaze, and Super amy ( or hey maybe make that one real I dunno ), or give shadow a crazy alien Transformation devil trigger thing ( or hey also make that one real ), or like a hype mentally attuned Silver that can do super crazy shit with his telekensis. I wouldn't mind more non canon crazy extra bits in the games. 

17 minutes ago, Celestia said:

Though I wonder why they were so big in the flashbacks in SA1. The only thing I can think of is that maybe it was to make them more "noticeable" compared to their usual size throughout the rest of the game? But I don't see how that'd be necessary. Weird.

IIRC it was a technical issue? I remember all this being talked about last year during mania discussion and it was explained there's a technical issue as to why they are so big, it wasn't in any indication of a super emerald thing

• Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

IIRC they strait up said super emeralds aren't a thing, I might be wrong. But i'm pretty sure super emeralds are a dead meme. A bonus in a game that wasn't really canon that people have been trying theorize  into canon for years.

Yeah, I believe that was Iuzuka as well.

32 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

IIRC it was a technical issue? I remember all this being talked about last year during mania discussion and it was explained there's a technical issue as to why they are so big, it wasn't in any indication of a super emerald thing

That sounds believable. I adore SA1 but it's definitely held together by duct tape and some paperclips.

Who else wants Tyson Hesse to do some interiors? His drawings are awesome and so expressive and funny:

Capture.pngCapture3.png

Capture5.pngCapture2.png

1 hour ago, Celestia said:

They also big at the end of a stage (and judging by Master Emerald in few occasions, Emeralds can change size).

But real talk, am I the only one who thinks Emeralds in Sonic Adventure looked amazing?

Spoiler

image.png.309c521e0f79e3af737a9fc18155eb46.png

That feels strong and powerful

Spoiler

image.png.55a04c1680ed146a2a74f4f26eeede4f.png

And this is piece of glass.

• Thumbs Up 1

44 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:
  Reveal hidden contents

image.png.55a04c1680ed146a2a74f4f26eeede4f.png

And this is piece of glass.

I'm sorry, but this is no piece of glass

Spoiler

latest?cb=20160304040841

• Chuckle 3

10 minutes ago, NikoS said:

I'm sorry, but this is no piece of glass

Hide contents

latest?cb=20160304040841

Knuckles with the butt chin

Guys I am trying to find an interview with both Tracey  Yardley and ABT's approaches to drawing, I think it's in this forum or topic but I can't find it!

It would be awesome if someone links it to me.

Thank you!!

Neat new cover for Issue 7 revealed:

"Witness this invincible battleship, built by the hands of a genius! Its power...UNMATCHED THROUGHOUT THE UNIVERSE!"

Man, now I really wanna revisit Heroes.

• Thumbs Up 5

2 hours ago, Forte-Metallix said:

Neat new cover for Issue 7 revealed:

"Witness this invincible battleship, built by the hands of a genius! Its power...UNMATCHED THROUGHOUT THE UNIVERSE!"

Man, now I really wanna revisit Heroes.

What kind of friggin cover is that?