Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

1 minute ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

I thought the reason it's rumored that he hated DKC was because of its focus on graphics over gameplay.

He doesn't hate it, his "graphics over gameplay" comment was a response to the people who wanted the next Mario game to look like DKC.

Those covers make me believe Whisper is some kind of villain character, or even an anti-hero...

HECK YES, I say. This comic could use more of those.

Also, love that Sonic & Knuckles throwback on issue 9's cover.

5 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

He doesn't hate it, his "graphics over gameplay" comment was a response to the people who wanted the next Mario game to look like DKC.

That's why I said "rumored."

I just noticed that the two main issue 8 covers are opposites to eachother. Sonic and Silver in a crosshair in one, and the same artwork of Sonic reflected in Whisper’s eye in the other.

Neat.

6 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

You know, I hated the two world stuff before. But now with actual confirmation that it's prohibiting Classic characters now? I absolutely despise it. That's now three of the best villains in Archie gone. Especially after Champions was a particular high note with Bean outsmarting Espio and Nack attempting to outright shoot Sonic and Knuckles during their fight. 

This is Classic/Modern split, Two Worlds™ is the Human Planet and Animal Planet thing.

1 minute ago, Razule said:

This is Classic/Moden split, Two Worlds™ is the Human Planet and Animal Planet thing.

Two dimensions, whatever. A shitty story limiting retcon is a shitty story limiting retcon.

• Thumbs Up 9

I noticed a lot of the IDW cast have unusually colored muzzles. Tangle’s faded blue and now Whisper’s dark gray. 

42 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

I noticed a lot of the IDW cast have unusually colored muzzles. Tangle’s faded blue and now Whisper’s dark gray. 

That's not a dark grey muzzle. Whisper has a mask, look closely.

58 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Why would she be wearing a mask under a mask?

fashion~

...nah, I dunno, but a dark gray muzzle with her fur colour contrasts way too much for it to be so. And I'm pretty sure that mask is less of a mask and more of a visor she places over her eye, if going by the covers and the way she wears it is any indication.

I don't understand why can't have  Fang , Bean and Bark in both classic and modern timeline like Amy , Tails , Knuckles , Metal Sonic and Chaotix . I don't even understand making an OC that look like it came from deviantart when there plenty official of characters to use ?

1 hour ago, Gumbit said:

I don't understand why can't have  Fang , Bean and Bark in both classic and modern timeline like Amy , Tails , Knuckles , Metal Sonic and Chaotix . I don't even understand making an OC that look like it came from deviantart when there plenty official of characters to use ?

Leave the original characters out of this...attack SEGA all you want, but don't even dare with the upcoming.

• Thumbs Up 3

Things like this makes me wish Ray or Nack or Bark were in SONIC HEROES!!

I called it months ago, just because the hooligan's first appearance was with black eyes+no updated modern design was the reasons for Ian "changing plans after Mighty and Ray's inclusion in Sonic Mania"

6 hours ago, StaticMania said:

None of this, please...

It's not true, it's just a weird exaggeration on what he actually believes. People keep doing this and it's why a lot of people believed that he hated Donkey Kong Country.

Even if he did, he hardly stops other developers from doing more for story. Even for Paper Mario all evidence points to Tanabe being significantly more responsible for the plots in Sticker Star to Color Splash.

Meanwhile, Warioware is different in style from the platformers (with a surprising amount of raunchy/adult humor), Retro from all evidence had a more or less easy reign over Donkey Kong. This meme of Miyamoto as this tyrant holding back how others handle babies doesn't really match the available evidence of games are developed over at Nintendo.

In Sonic, other hand:

-Cream apparently is embargoed. Not even appearing in Sonic Forces (it's not like it'd be impossible to make her a non-combatant)

-Classic is now in another dimension despite clashing with Sonic Generations, the first time Classic and Modern did interact ("Your future's gonna be great!" which while a bit different from the JP dialogue both still treated Classic Sonic as a past Sonic).

-The Hooligans are exiled to the Classicverse. And there's not much confidence that Iizuka and Co. actually wish to do a lot with the now Classic subseries beyond shoehorning the likes of Classic Sonic into Forces or the occasional nostalgia game.

-Two Worlds. Already repeatedly noted how little this works with the games before Sonic Unleashed at the latest.

No doubt who has more leeway.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Kazhnuz said:

Now that you have created your "classic universe" SEGA, you have to use it 😛 Because you have an universe, with a great style, with a lot of great character… Now I want stuff done with it.

Yeah if we could get some comic or cartoons miniseries with the Hooligans It'd be neat (but please no reference to Sonic Mania, have it be a new story).

Sonic Mania Adventures was too popular, there's no way we don't get a second season, I hope they include the Hooligans in it (and not cheap illusions).

Oh, I wouldn't be exactly against some surviving Hard Boiled Heavy or Mania location to appear too xD But now that the classic series as enough specific content to be it's own thing, it makes me hope that someday we get a classic series in comic-book forms (even if I would be a bit more for a Sonic Universe-like title, as I would prefer the current universe to have more content space).

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't think she is a villain because the call sheet says "a new hero debuts" but maybe the fact she is all black is misleading to some fans. Could be a grey character, I would welcome that.

Also, yeah it's disappointing the Hooligans and Mighty and Ray can't be in the modern continuity, but it's no new thing, we knew that for a while, I assume Sonic knows the Hooligans because the classic games happened, Mania is a different timeline, so that's where the continuity splits. But seriously this year Mighty and Ray have been used a lot more than the modern cast, in fact I'd say they are currently more relevant than Cream, Blaze, Jet, etc. So I don't see why they should be in modern media as well, since there are lots of underused characters. I mean, there is a place for them in Plus and Mania Adventures and future classic stuff, I think that's enough, now let's use the modern cast too please!

• Thumbs Up 4

14 minutes ago, Drifting Jack said:

So I don't see why they should be in modern media as well, since there are lots of underused characters. I mean, there is a place for them in Plus and Mania Adventures and future classic stuff, I think that's enough, now let's use the modern cast too please!

I wasn't really all that bothered by the news since I would prefer to see the Modern cast be used more. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm surprised they haven't annunced the new solicit for issue 10... I wonder when that's coming.

4 hours ago, Almar said:

-Classic is now in another dimension despite clashing with Sonic Generations, the first time Classic and Modern did interact ("Your future's gonna be great!" which while a bit different from the JP dialogue both still treated Classic Sonic as a past Sonic).

Ok I understand the Two Worlds hate but this has been bothering me. Do people not get the idea of branched Time Travel? Classic Sonic's "universe" is a different path from where he originally wound up as Modern because of the Time Eater attacking time. This is pretty basic Time Travel stuff.

• Thumbs Up 2

15 hours ago, Forte-Metallix said:

We've got our first look at Whisper the Wolf!

Evan's killing it with character designs as always!

Really cool design IMO.

1 hour ago, SBR2 said:

Ok I understand the Two Worlds hate but this has been bothering me. Do people not get the idea of branched Time Travel? Classic Sonic's "universe" is a different path from where he originally wound up as Modern because of the Time Eater attacking time. This is pretty basic Time Travel stuff.

Because what's really going on is the magical idea of retcons, and it doesn't make this not dumb. It's not because of alternate timelines, not even in-universe, it was retconned to have always been this way. We're not obligated to make something up to explain away their inconsistencies for them and pretend they're okay. 

• Thumbs Up 3

18 minutes ago, Razule said:

Because what's really going on is the magical idea of retcons, and it doesn't make this not dumb. It's not because of alternate timelines, not even in-universe, it was retconned to have always been this way. We're not obligated to make something up to explain away their inconsistencies for them and pretend they're okay. 

Was it though? Everyone always says that but Sega haven't said straight up "Classic was always a separate universe".