Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

I REALLY like Whisper's design. I hope she lives up to the hype!!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

3 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

Official picture for Whisper:

37585461_10215576969564557_7014539582804

I really like how the closed eyes give a unique way of emoting for the character, as well as how the mask's design (which btw kind of reminds me of some of the angels from Evangelion) changes the way that the character is perceived. Would be cool if it also affected her personality as well, being reflected in how Whisper acts.

Also while I'm not much of a fan of using black on Sonic characters, the other colors make a pretty nice combination. 

They're really making much better designed OC's than what was seen even in the post-reboot Archie when characters where being made to resemble more the style of the game cast.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Almar said:

-Cream apparently is embargoed. Not even appearing in Sonic Forces (it's not like it'd be impossible to make her a non-combatant)

Explain this then

Sonic_RIcover_09-675x1024.jpg

29 minutes ago, Flyinpenguin117 said:

Explain this then

Sonic_RIcover_09-675x1024.jpg

I'll be honest--even though I already did my own comments on the topic and saw that cover a while back, it took me a second to actually find Cream with this coloring style.

I guess the new characters like Whisper and Tangle are Ians versions of the SatAM characters for now until something gives on the offical ones like Sally, Bunnie, Antione, Rotor etc...

11 minutes ago, MadmanRB said:

I guess the new characters like Whisper and Tangle are Ians versions of the SatAM characters for now until something gives on the offical ones like Sally, Bunnie, Antione, Rotor etc...

Naw, that's definitely not it.

From-what-we-can-tell-from-her Whisper, Rough n' Tumble, ideally-their-future-boss Mystery Monster, and Tangle are clearly/openly meant serve different roles/niches for the IDW book compared to the gamecast and the same can certainly be said from either version of the Freedom Fighters.

• Thumbs Up 1

Perhaps, i mean without knowing the freedom fighters will ever appear again this is a good way to still put them in as new character fill ins.

I still wish they will come back, i know I know they are unofficial but dammit we have had a long comic book series with them in it why not bring them back somehow even if by proxy?

I still care about them, someone has to hold on to hope maybe they will come back

• Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, MadmanRB said:

Tangle and Whisper are Tangle and Whisper.

• Thumbs Up 9

1 hour ago, antyep said:

I have a feeling IF the Freedom Fighters do return, they’ll be limited to ‘Classic characters’ only.

It's a possibility, but first, a Classic Sonic comic would have to be a certainty.

So my local comic book store messed up and missed out on getting me issues 2, 3 and 4. But today on a random trip out to Manchester I found the boxset is issues 1 through 4 which I jumped at the chance to get. It's also supposed to contain a sketch variant cover of the first issue, but, well...

9CF6EDC9-8D3D-4D09-B007-D36BEF19EDF6.jpeg.af7e3dbc72b520d5fbcfdf72792d59b9.jpeg

It's totally blank. Any ideas What's going on here? Is this a misprint?

8 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

So my local comic book store messed up and missed out on getting me issues 2, 3 and 4. But today on a random trip out to Manchester I found the boxset is issues 1 through 4 which I jumped at the chance to get. It's also supposed to contain a sketch variant cover of the first issue, but, well...

It's not a misprint, it's deliberately blank. From what little research I did, IDW does these for box sets, and their point is to give professional artists in conventions so that they can sketch the cover for ya.

For example, this is Tracy Yardley's version of "sketch variant cover" (aka Tracy sketched it themselves and it's been sold for 40 bucks dayum)

Btw this website looks really unfinished, with placeholders and such, but that's going off-topic.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, Bobnik said:

It's not a misprint, it's deliberately blank. From what little research I did, IDW does these for box sets, and their point is to give professional artists in conventions so that they can sketch the cover for ya.

For example, this is Tracy Yardley's version of "sketch variant cover" (aka Tracy sketched it themselves and it's been sold for 40 bucks dayum)

Btw this website looks really unfinished, with placeholders and such, but that's going off-topic.

That's... Lame. I was expecting a "sketch variant" to be the lineart or something. No biggie. I'm no interested in going after the variants anyway. I just got this one because it was in the set.

Thanks for clearing it up.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well that's awful then. I don't go to conventions so that feature's bob useless to me. 

27 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Is this really not a well known concept? You take it to cons for a sketch. It's pretty simple.

Yeah that cover is deliberately awful, what's the point? They should be more creative with their variants.

Btw Ian Brought a lot of good points:

- Mario is even more fractured, between Paper Mario, Mario & Luigi, NSMB, Galaxy and main line Mario. Sonic has only 2 sub brands right now, as Boom is dead.

- Anything is subject to change, Classic Sonic wasn't a thing not too long ago, Mighty and Ray were dead in the game verse. I know some prefer them being in a comic but they are still being used more.

- ...They are being used more than the Modern cast, which we have barely seen this year, there is a lot to esplore just with those characters, plus bringing a couple of new ones to have something new to the table.

As I said, interesting points.

• Thumbs Up 2

24 minutes ago, Bobnik said:

That's... Lame. I was expecting a "sketch variant" to be the lineart or something. No biggie. I'm no interested in going after the variants anyway. I just got this one because it was in the set.

Thanks for clearing it up.

@SBR2 Maybe? I don't know anything about comics. I'm as casual as you can get on regards to them, collecting these ones purely because I'm interested in seeing if the new Sonic comic is any good. This particular type of variant is pretty naff for anyone not hugely invested in the comic fandom. Not complaining, but eh.

1 hour ago, Drifting Jack said:

- Mario is even more fractured, between Paper Mario, Mario & Luigi, NSMB, Galaxy and main line Mario. Sonic has only 2 sub brands right now, as Boom is dead.

TIL Galaxy was separate from main Mario.

7 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Oh bloody hell not this argument again...

I'm assuming you're talking about the one that stunk up this thread a bit before and during the buildup to April.

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

I'm assuming you're talking about the one that stunk up this thread a bit before and during the buildup to April.

No?

2 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

No?

Well which argument are you referring to? I don't look at this topic much and don't know what you're on about.

4 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

The sketch cover.

There's literally no argument going on here. I asked a question, some helpful people gave answers, a few of us responded with our opinions. Case closed. 

• Thumbs Up 1