Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

8 hours ago, Sonic Fan J said:
  Hide contents

So I know that people probably won't think that Metal is all that obscure and unused, but there really is little argument that his Neo form hasn't been used in a long time so at least before people start raising their issues with this I think we can at least agree that Ian was true to his word, an obscure villain who hasn't been used in a long time. Additionally, Ian has a chance to explore why we had a Phantom Ruby Illusion Metal in Forces instead of the real deal.

I guess. Not seeing much the point regardless.

2 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

Hide contents

I like that Neo Metal Sonic's spin attack is represented as a giant 5 star shuriken.

Oh, did he? I didn't catch that.

5 minutes ago, Fusion-Ellipsis said:

Ok you know what that reveal reminded me a bit about?

Hide contents

tumblr_inline_pcej4nv6rN1taxesp_1280.jpg

tumblr_inline_pcej4xJBZL1taxesp_400.png

The background of that panel looks a little like Sonic Universe issue 50's cover but slightly altered.

Actually y'know what I'm gonna say this is a coincidence and leave it at that.

You know, looking at that panel(s) again, it's amazing how good and yet cluttered it is.

Holy shit, the choreography in this issue was on point. Very rarely has a comic captured just how intense someone like Sonic fights, but goddamn. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Could probably be a thread unto itself, but how do ya'll feel about Metal having the ability to copy people and occasionally morph?

Given that Chaos is either reformed, or otherwise a none entity. Melting into gooey puddles is too fun a power to leave off the table. 🙃

• Fist Bump 1

19 minutes ago, Cuz said:

Given that Chaos is either reformed, or otherwise a none entity. Melting into gooey puddles is too fun a power to leave off the table. 🙃

I was mainly referring the Copycat ability he had in Heroes and later reused in the Rivals games.

Wow, the art was very spot on and the storytelling was nice. First issue using kindle amazon and loved the panel-to-panel transitions. 

Also, I liked that they explained why the real Metal Sonic wasn't in Forces (makes me wonder if they'll do the same for Cream, Big, and Gemerl).

• Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Also, I liked that they explained why the real Metal Sonic wasn't in Forces (makes me wonder if they'll do the same for Cream, Big, and Gemerl).

At the very least, they could potentially be handwaved as helping protect they're local bases and settlements.

So, now seems like a good time to revisit the Ian Flynn interview which alluded to the new antagonistic force, and remind ourselves of what was really said and who said it:

It's about the journey rather than the destination.

Exactly. That being said, folks who know my writing style know I love the long con, so we're going to be setting up a surprise early on that will play out within the first year. There's a new antagonistic force that...I don't know if I can talk about it, but the first four issues are all bite-sized, but they're all building to something, and boy howdy, it'll be amazing once we get there.

Any hints you can drop about this new antagonistic force or what direction it'll be taking the story in?

I will say that long-term fans will probably piece it together very early on. Casual fans will find it new, exciting, and interesting. They might not even know that it's a reference to something older.

So it'll feel like a new antagonist but is based on something obscure from the games' past?

Yeah. We'll put it that way.

Flynn never said the new foe would be "obscure," merely that it would be "a reference to something older," which nonetheless even casual fans might know about.  All that was completely true.  (I also feel that Neo Metal Sonic probably is pretty obscure to the non-hardcore.  One brief appearance fourteen years ago?)

• Thumbs Up 1

Solicits are Out from PreviewsWorld. https://previewsworld.com/Catalog?batch=AUG18&pub=IDW PUBLISHING

Sonic The Hedgehog #10

(W) Ian Flynn (A) Tracy Yardley (CA) Adam Bryce Thomas "The Battle for Angel Island," Part 2. As Amy and Tails lead the Resistance fighters to free Angel Island from the Egg Fleet, Blaze must face an army all by herself. Meanwhile, Sonic and Knuckles find themselves face-to-face with a Super-powerful enemy. Will they be able to beat their foe, or will they just get beat?

The stunning second part of the first-year finale!

In Shops: Oct 24, 2018
SRP: $3.99

Team Sonic Racing (One Shot)

(W) Caleb Goellner (A/CA) Adam Bryce Thomas Sonic's been taken to another world and entered into a race unlike any other! With a little help from his friends Tails and Knuckles, he'll race to win the competition and get everyone home! BUT! Before that, check out a comics exclusive story straight from the world of Team Sonic Racing!

Leads into the upcoming game, Team Sonic Racing, available Winter 2018!
Sonic, Knuckles, and Tails team up in this exciting adventure!
Special extra-long one-shot!

In Shops: Oct 31, 2018
SRP: $4.99

• Thumbs Up 2

12 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Could probably be a thread unto itself, but how do ya'll feel about Metal having the ability to copy people and occasionally morph?

I think it's a cool ability, especially if he decides to morph into someone and infiltrate the Resistance without anyone even knowing.

11 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Hide contents

"Fear the Fall" a reference to?

Spoiler

It's part of the Lyrics in "His World"

Spoiler

You guys know how I don't like Neo Metal Sonic and I prefer the original, I thought Eggman was a better choice as villain for the first arc, but okay, I can get behind this, I think it's very predictable and done before already, but at least it's not an adaptation! Thank goodness! Dialogue was good and art was epic, I hope they deliver more issues like this one. I also liked how Knux and Amy were in the story.

5 hours ago, FFWF said:

So, now seems like a good time to revisit the Ian Flynn interview which alluded to the new antagonistic force, and remind ourselves of what was really said and who said it:

Flynn never said the new foe would be "obscure," merely that it would be "a reference to something older," which nonetheless even casual fans might know about.  All that was completely true.  (I also feel that Neo Metal Sonic probably is pretty obscure to the non-hardcore.  One brief appearance fourteen years ago?)

Thanks for digging that up for everyone's convenience! However...

Spoiler

Any hints you can drop about this new antagonistic force or what direction it'll be taking the story in?

I will say that long-term fans will probably piece it together very early on. Casual fans will find it new, exciting, and interesting. They might not even know that it's a reference to something older.

46 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

I think it's a cool ability, especially if he decides to morph into someone and infiltrate the Resistance without anyone even knowing.

Hide contents

It's part of the Lyrics in "His World"

Oooh! See, I know it was something I clearly remembered, but I couldn't place it. Wrong games even! 

Thanks! 

23 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Sheesh SEGA, what did CNK even do to warrant this. 

The what now?

9 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

The squad then and now😃

squad1.pngsquad2.png

BTW when do we get solicits for issue 10?

I love the way these four play off of each other these days and makes me sore about certain other things but that would be off topic.

Anyway, that was an enjoyable issue. Though I still prefer Metal's normal design, the use of Neo here and actually seeing him be both a force to recon with and a mastermind who makes good use of Eggman's genius, both his own use and just how he is implemented into the story, was a lot more than I was expecting. There was a little bit of hand waving involving his phantom in Forces but I feel like the payoff is worth it so far.

If I have any real problems with this issue right now they would be that how you get here from where issue 6 is completely unexplained, Sonic mentioning the Doc's well being and whole setup of this issue continues to leave me feeling like issue 6 is unneeded and that Shadow could have been introduced later, and lastly that ABT's art is so far above everyone else right now that it's almost jarring cycling between artists. But on a whole this little nitpicks are just that, nitpicks, and issue 7 has really impressed me on numerous levels which is everything I was hoping for after issue 6. Now hopefully issue 8 leaves me wanting to see more of Whisper like issue 4 did with Tangle.

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, Sonic Fan J said:

I love the way these four play off of each other these days and makes me sore about certain other things

Like what ??

1 minute ago, Marco9966 said:

Like what ??

Just things like three man teams in the games as well as a lack of presence in Mania Plus and Adventures. Just minor things that are really off topic here since those problems (read nitpicks) aren't present in the comics.

• Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, Sonic Fan J said:

If I have any real problems with this issue right now they would be that how you get here from where issue 6 is completely unexplained, Sonic mentioning the Doc's well being and whole setup of this issue continues to leave me feeling like issue 6 is unneeded and that Shadow could have been introduced later, and lastly that ABT's art is so far above everyone else right now that it's almost jarring cycling between artists. But on a whole this little nitpicks are just that, nitpicks, and issue 7 has really impressed me on numerous levels which is everything I was hoping for after issue 6. 

Yeah, that issue really sucks next to everything else, art aside.

33 minutes ago, Sonic Fan J said:

Now hopefully issue 8 leaves me wanting to see more of Whisper like issue 4 did with Tangle.

I kinda wanna say that I hope not personally, but that's not really anywhere.

Tangle didn't interest me much in her issue, I felt a bit diappointed, Blaze was a lot more interesting, hopefully Whisper is used in better ways. And I definitely need to see more of Tangle!

But no, I disagree with everything you guys say about issue 6 as it is my favorite one.

1 hour ago, Sonic Fan J said:

If I have any real problems with this issue right now they would be that how you get here from where issue 6 is completely unexplained, Sonic mentioning the Doc's well being and whole setup of this issue continues to leave me feeling like issue 6 is unneeded and that Shadow could have been introduced later, and lastly that ABT's art is so far above everyone else right now that it's almost jarring cycling between artists. But on a whole this little nitpicks are just that, nitpicks, and issue 7 has really impressed me on numerous levels which is everything I was hoping for after issue 6. Now hopefully issue 8 leaves me wanting to see more of Whisper like issue 4 did with Tangle.

Yeah, shadow really feels like someone told him he had to introduce shadow early because they were pushing him. And then subsequently told him " Oh hey you can't actually reference the last game shadow was in in any regard in the plot " and then made that

Glad to hear you liked It @Drifting Jack. Really my biggest problem with it is that with Sonic's personality and never look back/no regrets philosophy I feel like Shadow needed to be brought in before Sonic made up his mind about Eggman. It would have made the situation more poignant to me and with way the issue 7 goes and Sonic's mention of Eggman to Neo not requiring issue 6 at all it also would have made it more memorable. As it stands, issue 6 only served it's purpose of introducing Shadow as a character in the comic to the audience than really doing anything standout with him. Had he just been introduced to the conflict while their was still a conflict it would have been a great issue to me.

1 minute ago, Shadowlax said:

Yeah, shadow really feels like someone told him he had to introduce shadow early because they were pushing him. And then subsequently told him " Oh hey you can't actually reference the last game shadow was in in any regard in the plot " and then made that

Which isn't in itself a problem to me at this point since the role he played was to demonstrate to Sonic that amnesia does not necessarily change someone. The problem was that he came in after Sonic made up his mind about Eggman and not before so the conflict that Sonic was faced with was already resolved before Shadow's arrival would affect him in anyway.

Though the way the villain is written has sold me! I also can't wait that they are going back to Angel Island for a big fight! I would love to see what Ian would do with Zavok and Infinite, would you guys?

Zavok I'm not too worried about yet since a lot of how he works is based on making use of other people's machines, but Infinite would be interesting since his backstory and current loss of power would make him desperate, and desperate people are known for being dangerous.

3 minutes ago, Drifting Jack said:

Though the way the villain is written has sold me! I also can't wait that they are going back to Angel Island for a big fight! I would love to see what Ian would do with Zavok and Infinite, would you guys?

Infinite would be interesting, I'd like to see how Flynn handles him

3 hours ago, SBR2 said:

With the way they discribe the classic four and Blaze being the main players, it seems like team dark and chaotic are sidekicks rather than main allies, which is a waste of their potential and justification of being in this plot with sonic and the others. Why is blaze getting main focus over Shadow, a character more popular than her as a main core cast member?