Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

While I'm obviously biased for Metal's normal appearance, one of the reasons I ask is because of SEGA and how the IDW comic seems less likely to shy away from it being an advertisement for the games. Right now it is advertising Forces by constantly making call backs to the events of that game, but Neo and the Egg Fleet are very much relics of Heroes. Now there is nothing wrong with that and I'm for certain anyone who hasn't played it and is just now being introduced to the concepts from that game may want to pick it up and see what it's about (free money for SEGA if they would actually re-release it), so as a means of advertising the games it's still doing a great job. The question going forward though is with SEGA/Sonic Team's push for brand synergy across the franchise (regardless of how much fracturing they're doing), won't they insist on a return to form going forward since they themselves were unwilling to continue using the Neo form? It's not like I expect it to happen before the end of the current arc, but with how things have been being handled in the franchise of late I would be surprised to see the Neo form last beyond this arc.

I've been wondering.

So far Sonic have been playing Batman Brave&Bold (team up every  issue, then switch partner) and we know Silver will be next. Do you think they will keep this up with lower tier characters?

We all miss Sonic Universe, but Cream or Big would never sell a story. Well good news about iDW, there is SONIC in every issue, Sonic/Creamteam-up will sell, cause it has Sonic on the cover, young rabbit next to him won't diminish sales.
I suspect issues 9-12 might go other route, but fingers crossed for Sonic/Omega team-up next year.

• Nice Smile 1

I could see a Sonic/Cream team-up myself just because of Adv. 2, but Omega has always felt like a Shadow support character and I just don't see a direct Sonic/Omega team-up happening. Perhaps if they did a Sonic/Shadow & Omega team-up like what was done with Tangle and Blaze and looks like might be happening with Silver and Whisper, then maybe. Besides, since Sonic and Shadow haven't had a team-up issue yet (a fight issue is not a team-up issue for anyone wanting to argue) it could happen.

• Thumbs Up 1

Egg fleet........a relic of heroes..............(looks at unleasheds opening) pretty sure eggman still has the fleet. he just uses it when he feels like it i suppose. As for forces of course they are toeing into it. The stories meant to take place right after it and they are just doing what many books do and sort of closing it out. while i know they can not explain it all like where infinite went they are trying.

• Nice Smile 1

I'd argue that Starlight Carnival from Colors would be a better example, but like the Unleashed opening neither of those fleets have the heavy fish/shark themes that make the Egg Fleet unique and distinct. It is also the only time that the name is used to describe a collection of Eggman airships hence why I find it a relic of Heroes. Sure we can make leaps in logic and argue that any Eggman airship fleet could carry that name, but my stance on it is made at face value and not from what can be presumed (perhaps a bit hypocritical of me considering how much I usually over-read into most things it seems).

32 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

I've been wondering.

So far Sonic have been playing Batman Brave&Bold (team up every  issue, then switch partner) and we know Silver will be next. Do you think they will keep this up with lower tier characters?

We all miss Sonic Universe, but Cream or Big would never sell a story. Well good news about iDW, there is SONIC in every issue, Sonic/Creamteam-up will sell, cause it has Sonic on the cover, young rabbit next to him won't diminish sales.
I suspect issues 9-12 might go other route, but fingers crossed for Sonic/Omega team-up next year.

I remember bringing that up roughly a week ago.

On 7/22/2018 at 4:09 PM, DabigRG said:

Looking at the covers again, I kinda wish Cream&Cheese, Gemerl, and Omega got to debut in their own contexts/issues.

Uh, Spoilers?

It's kinda unfair that that seems to be the impression.

I would indeed love for there to finally be a Sonic&Omega interaction, though.

I am kind of curious myself how it would play out. The most straight forward approach that comes to mind would simply be a bot wrecking race between the two, but I can never seem to fill in the blanks to make it more dynamic and nuanced of an interaction.

24 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

I remember bringing that up roughly a week ago.

It's kinda unfair that that seems to be the impression.

I would indeed love for there to finally be a Sonic&Omega interaction, though.

Cream and Omega are both seen on the 10th issue's cover. Which possibly suggests that they will be introduced either in issue 9 or 10. Not sure of how significant of a roll they will actually play...

image.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Snippyjay said:

Cream and Omega are both seen on the 10th issue's cover. Which possibly suggests that they will be introduced either in issue 9 or 10. Not sure of how significant of a roll they will actually play...

image.jpeg

I know, hence my point that I kinda wish they had their own issue/context.

After a terrible work week, I finally got to relax and sit down and read issue 7.

Loved the reveal; I had a suspicion it was him, but I'm actually excited to see where this goes. I wonder how Dr. Eggman is going to fit in with all of this?

Also, next issue is SILVER!!! So excited! ^.^

Issue #7 was awesome to look at because of the art and the villain was rather badass.

• Nice Smile 1

I’m kinda glad they’re laying off making an abundance of original characters and instead focusing on introducing the core game characters. Not saying original characters are bad, as they give writers breathing space to be creative and have fun, but I’m relieved that Flynn is drip feeding OC’s throughout the series instead of shoving them in our faces.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

I don't get it? Is there anything in this we didn't already know?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Zaysho said:

From what I can tell, unless info has been known for awhile...

Year 1 IDW: Focus is solely on Modern!Universe Sonic. Possibility of SEGA allowing use of other contunity characters in Year 2, at least in the case of the Freedom Fighters

More importantly: Lost Hedgehog Tales includes Post!Reboot now, which would seem to indicate Ian's hopes of having Archie finished under IDW is dead in the water.

• Nice Smile 1

Would this mean that Team Hooligan is out the picture, in terms of appearing in IDW? Because they were one of my favourite parts of the Archie Comic however they are part of the classic sonic universe.

E91803DE-3FD7-4A69-A6AF-917194042080.jpeg

22 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

Actually, seems so. 

What characters from other Sonic the Hedgehog properties can we expect in IDW!Sonic?

For the moment, IDW!Sonic will only be using elements from the “Modern Sonic” side of the franchise. Presently there are no plans to bring in any elements from any of the cartoons or other comics.

Will the Freedom Fighters appear in IDW!Sonic?
They will not appear during Year One. Beyond that it is up to SEGA to decide if they are accessible to us.

It doesn't sound like they have access to the FFs outright. I doubt SEGA will relent despite Ian keeping hopes up. 

51 minutes ago, Snippyjay said:

Would this mean that Team Hooligan is out the picture, in terms of appearing in IDW? Because they were one of my favourite parts of the Archie Comic however they are part of the classic sonic universe.

That's what has been said. Hooligans are off-limits.

10 minutes ago, Razule said:

That's what has been said. Hooligans are off-limits.

As well as every other character that hasn't appeared in a Modern game. 

To be honest, that doesn't sound any different than what was mentioned before. It just sounds like Sega haven't given IDW a straight answer on this, possibly because Sega of America doesn't care but Sega of Japan does? Who knows. The fact that Ian and the others are acknowledging the question rather than initially when it was simply ignored should be taken as a sign of something, I just don't know what.

Year one is plotted out, and the Freedom Fighters aren't in it. Year two hasn't been and IDW doesn't know if Sega will have made up their mind yet. There really isn't more to the answer than that. Unless IDW has been given a no and are just hoping to change Sega's mind or don't want to deal with the backlash that would cause. That's conspiracy theory crap though, no reason to assume that right now.

My personal interest in IDW Sonic is at a major low and the Freedom Fighters would get me to pay more attention/care more. But Sega will do what Sega wants.

• Nice Smile 1

20 minutes ago, GentlemanX said:

Year two hasn't been and IDW doesn't know if Sega will have made up their mind yet.

Which is a tad weird, considering they seemed to have an four-eight month headstart at the beginning of the year.

24 minutes ago, GentlemanX said:

My personal interest in IDW Sonic is at a major low and the Freedom Fighters would get me to pay more attention/care more.

Honestly, same here. Tangle and Whisper just aren't interesting to me. The plot has felt very unimaginative to me so far, and hearing that there are more limitations with the characters doesn't help. If I remember correctly, SEGA wasn't much of a fan of the Freedom Fighters, so I don't think it's likely they'll return. Which stinks. It's just yet another setback. I mean, I sort of understand why. Archie lawsuits and all. But...still. It stinks. They may be "inspired by the games", but it feels like the comics have become the games now. The only thing that's different is the writing.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, SSF1991 said:

Honestly, same here. Tangle and Whisper just aren't interesting to me.

To be fair, we haven't Whisper's introduction yet and there needs to be actual time spent establishing, focusing, and developing her and other new characters.

4 minutes ago, SSF1991 said:

They may be "inspired by the games", but it feels like the comics have become the games now. The only thing that's different is the writing.

Unfortunately, that seemed to progressively be the intent.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, SSF1991 said:

Honestly, same here. Tangle and Whisper just aren't interesting to me. The plot has felt very unimaginative to me so far, and hearing that there are more limitations with the characters doesn't help. If I remember correctly, SEGA wasn't much of a fan of the Freedom Fighters, so I don't think it's likely they'll return. Which stinks. It's just yet another setback. I mean, I sort of understand why. Archie lawsuits and all. But...still. It stinks. They may be "inspired by the games", but it feels like the comics have become the games now. The only thing that's different is the writing.

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

To be fair, we haven't Whisper's introduction yet and there needs to be actual time spent establishing, focusing, and developing her and other new characters.

Unfortunately, that seemed to progressively be the intent.

While I understand why Archie Sonc fans might be upset and acknowledge that it doesn't make things any better for them, I do think the games, with writers who aren't woefully inept, is exactly what a lot of us were hoping for with IDW Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

I personally prefer the comics this way because I grew up with the Adventure/Modern games mainly and I never saw much of Pre-SGW/SatAM.

Although I hope the classic characters can have a chance later.