Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

3 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Is there one in the Sonic comics (archie) so I can have an idea?

Probably. It'd require me to track down work from each of them, which would also vary a bit based on the artist they're working with.

I just feel her work's coloring can be a little too faded looking at times.

Just now, DabigRG said:

Probably. It'd require me to track down work from each of them, which would also vary a bit based on the artist they're working with.

I just feel her work's coloring can be a little too faded looking at times.

It's still a lot better than 3's coloring.

Just now, Marco9966 said:

It's still a lot better than 3's coloring.

See, I remember's colors(and to some extent, the arwork) being fine--it was in decent marker-esque shades that look vibrant enough--, but where and when they were looked a little confused at times.

I'd rather the comics include some mild cursing where appropriate (i.e. When the damn writers aren't going out of their damn way to force damn swear words into every damn sentence like in Shadow the damn Hedgehog) than bend over backwards to avoid it at all costs. People swear, it's a fact of life. Trying to use euphemisms or write around an offending word (especially a mild one) can come off as awkward when a succinct , "Oh crap!" would get the job done better.

• Thumbs Up 2

I generally liked it when writers try and get creative with swears. As long as its not too forced, it adds a unique charm to the character.

GearsandStarters-1.png

We all know what he wanted to say there. Cleaver censor dodging gets us around the obvious and keeps him in character. No controversy, no fuss, no muss.

• Nice Smile 1

What controversy. There is not any controversy unless someone is literally 10 years old and their mom just popped their hand for saying heck or crap. IDW is NOT archie and this is noting new. They have much more freedom in language in their books. The stories are also more mature to a extent. I mean were on issue what 8 and we are having stories about the end of a war and people rebuilding their lifes and cities while still fighting and "some" are upset someone used the word CRAP. Hell this is just......just wow. Hell even damn has its use. say a bomb is about to go off and suddenly say neo tells sonic and oh while your dealing with that im about to burn down this village while flooding this city filled with children. A damn said under the breath would be fine.

• Thumbs Up 2

15 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

There is not any controversy unless someone is literally 10 years old and their mom just popped their hand for saying heck or crap.

You realise that's a scenario that could happen right? The audience is 6-12 year old American children*, there's going to be some like that in there. I don't care at all about the usage myself, but hey. 

*Not that it's exclusively American parents that may take offence, not with the mother and child exchange I saw in person just a few days ago. 

• Thumbs Up 2

31 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

I generally liked it when writers try and get creative with swears. As long as its not too forced, it adds a unique charm to the character.

GearsandStarters-1.png

We all know what he wanted to say there. Cleaver censor dodging gets us around the obvious and keeps him in character. No controversy, no fuss, no muss.

I didn't know "Oh my stars and garters" was profanity...

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, StaticMania said:

I didn't know "Oh my stars and garters" was profanity...

Its not. But its clearly used in place of "OMFG" which is a swear.

3 hours ago, Meta77 said:

What controversy. There is not any controversy

The fact that someone came in here and brought it up. and some time later we are still talking about it says otherwise.

Personally, I could care less about the language. Crap is harmless to me and I wouldn't bat an eye if the writer went a little bit farther down that road. But at the same time, we all know what its a stand in for, so if someone took offense to it, I'd understand that too.

Hence, why I like to go the creative route. ^^

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/18/2018 at 1:06 AM, DabigRG said:

Remember when this happened?

I sure hope they don’t watch Hey Arnold, given one of the running gags was Helga saying crap.

Regular Show regularly said Crap in the first couple seasons. Adventure Time and Steven Universe both have used Sucks. Most Marvel movies are aimed at Kids despite the PG-13 ratings. 

4 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Adventure Time and Steven Universe both have used Sucks.

...since when is “suck” a bad word?

• Thumbs Up 4

I remember the Japanese version of Sonic X had Sonic saying "shit" when trying to break Cream out of Area 51.

Not to mention there were quite a few innuendos in all the animated series over the years: 

Bunnie's "one-eyed monster" story (told to Tails) in SatAM. 

The infamous "Pingas" line from Adventures. 

Quite a few in Boom. "Polishing my schnauzer", etc. 

They got away with quite a lot. 

Guys... we gotta.. we gotta move on from this...

Let's just all agree that Tails dropping the F-bomb would be completely okay.

• Thumbs Up 4

2 minutes ago, Razule said:

Guys... we gotta.. we gotta move on from this...

Let's just all agree that Tails dropping the F-bomb would be completely okay.

Yeah, what's the point of staying 10 pages on a poop synonym word instead of talking about the actual story?

2 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

There was a story???

Whisper's introduction, her grudge against Eggman, Neo Metal Sonic's invasion, the upcomming resistance reunion...

Yes there is.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

17 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Whisper's introduction, her grudge against Eggman, Neo Metal Sonic's invasion, the upcomming resistance reunion...

Yes there is.

That's more like, the hinting of stories than a story

1 hour ago, HywelAtTheMoon said:

The infamous "Pingas" line from Adventures. 

That wasn't an innuendo so much as people hearing what they wanted to hear from Long John Baldry's insatiably hammy delivery.

There's definitely a story. There's a lot of repetition and build up at the moment, here 8 issues in, but we're definitely being told a story. 

I'm actually more interested in what the emptiness in Silver's future means. Dude's gotta figure his shit out. I'm starting to doubt he's even technically considered apart of a timeline at this point. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

There's a "story"...there's not a "plot" yet.

Oh yeah, Silver/Whisper ship fuel and Sonic and Silver found out Metal Sonic took over Angel Island. It was apparently surprising for them, Silver even said a uncommonly seen word.. what was it, again? "Crap"? Holy crap, that was really shocking!