Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

19 minutes ago, Kazhnuz said:

They don't really need too ? There have been basically three big musical reference in the, and all of them are integrated to a moment (and a "cool" moment). They are just some "plus" were the reference isn't needed. We don't have to know that "my way, my own way" is a reference, as it's used in a place were it's part of the dialogue. Same for "show me what you're made off", it's a sentence that could have been used without the reference. And to be honest : I didn't understood the "I never fear the fall" ref' at first, and I still found that moment cool.

"Comical" reference were more a problem for me, though, as it's a joke were the joke is basically "it's a reference so it's funny", but when haven't the reference, it feel flat.

"Show me what you're made of" isn't even from the song, the actual line from the song is from a page earlier. It's tooooooooooo basic.

2 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

"Show me what you're made of" isn't even from the song, the actual line from the song is from a page earlier. It's tooooooooooo basic.

… So I didn't even notice the actual line, wow xD

9 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

No, the entire point of an Anti-Hero is they operate as they see fit and blur the lines between good and evil, working in the grey areas between them. They work towards their own goals using whatever means they see fit. Sonic and Shadow aren't just total arrogant idiots who can't stand each other and can't stand working with each other given how the other operates. Shadow fights without constraint and this is what leads to his fights with Sonic, but Shadow also has enough sense and has been in enough fights with Sonic to know he has some idea of what he's doing to put aside his way of doing things when working with Sonic could offer an easier path to his goal.

It's pretty obvious why they've aligned with Sonic, because Eggman had G.U.N completely wore down during the six months Sonic was gone and it's pretty obvious that if Metal Sonic and the Eggman Empire get their hands on Angel Island, and the Master Emerald, the resistance, and by extension - G.U.N and themselves would be wiped out. Put simply, there's far more important things happening right now that require urgent attention that if not handled quickly and with a ton of resistance, it would have direct and possibly fatal consequences on themselves, I don't see how that reflects badly on either of them considering they're still operating on their best interests.

I just want to mention, We don't know what happened to gun. GUN isn't a thing in sonic land, its a human construction. Gun could just not give a fuck besides , maybe respectfully not calling in shadow and rouge whilst they handle things in the other world. But yeah we have no reason to think gun got brought down by eggman because this takes place in sonic land. This is ontop of the meta of " maybe sega just doesn't want to use gun anymore or the human world that much and announcing an official operation of these things pushes that idea out there for marketing purposes " 

Now to reply to the person you were replying to @Dash Speed

Ok, the thing you are upset about is happening, and they went specifically out of their way to make it appear that way. Team Dark is not really formally apart of the resistance, they seem to be denoted as...well team dark. They even have shadow go out and do his own thing to specifically show that , he does his own thing and that's what he does. Them helping the resistance isn't out of character either, for shadow more so rouge. While rouge's morality tends to lean on " If it involves my friends/ if the worlds in danger I will do the right thing". Shadow on the other hand, to put in it in no uncertain terms... is kind of a boyscout. I mean a murderous boyscout who curses, but he is what it is. If they asked shadow for help and described the situation... he would come to help them, its kinda what his game was about. 

Now your point does bring up a weird circumstance later, when the sector of the trash fire that was sonic forces's story ceases to loom over this comic... how do you effectively use team dark or shadow. it kind of really seems sega wants to focus on sonic land, and shadow primary operates out of the human world and at least works as some form of mercenary there. Unlike where there was the quiet implication of those worlds being the same, you have to create stories that specifically bring people here, or you are going to have to go out of your way to get a reason to hook shadow and team dark to this world for a prolong period of time, after this forces business happens. Maybe that's what occurs with whisper, I have no clue. But My point is, while team dark being asked to help, and helping is a thing they would do, keeping team dark in their world is another situation and one that actually deserves discussion. Not your perception of shadow , not helping anyone ever despite his whole video game doing just that

• Thumbs Up 1

I want the amount of new characters to be the double of the game cast! The IDW comics have so much potential!

And I also want new locations with names (Tangle's town might get a name).

And if Sticks appears it would be great too!

• Thumbs Up 1

Aiiight Aiiight AIiight

Hold up I had to post this because I just had this idea and I believe I just solved the mystery, or if there is any mystery at all. Someone posted that MGS like fanart of whisper and I think its relevant. 

What if Whisper's beef with shadow isn't because of the shadow clones or possible infinite affiliation. What if whispers beef with shadow is because shadow is what she was supposed to be.

Now you might be like WAT, and I get that. To explain what I mean, we got go back to the past. Back all  the way to the mythical year of 2005 where a notorious game called shadow the hedgehog was released. In that game eggman before he had realized that shadow's powers are more organic origin rather than anything technological bestowed and previously in sonic heroes had begun creating shadow androids to try and replicate the ultimate life form. It was a failure. 

Lets jump to the comics, there is a character called scourge the hedgehog. Scourge the hedgehog eventually became a parody a living embodiment of what people thought sonic characters were a representation of how people were generally wrong about their characterization and a sort of joke on actual fan fiction recolors. Ian Flynn on more than one occasion has delved into meta humor and commentary on the franchise when allowed to do so. 

Now lets jump to the mythical year of 2006 to where another notorious sonic game is released, sonic the hedgehog 2006, a game that has broken many a youtube lets player. It features the characters Silver the hedgehog and Mephilies the dark.  Silver the hedgehog a more heroic and naive hedgehog is sort of introduced like shadow, he has a beef with sonic, he fights sonic he's a mysterious hedgehog on a mission of eventual self sacrifice and his goals lead him to at one point trying to harm the good guys until he learns better and changes his ways. It is often a criticism of silver in sonic 06 that his introduction for a character like him was way too similar to shadows and they should have tried to introduce on his own merits rather than " lets try doing shadow again " . Mephilies is similar but worse he's a mythical demon with a shadow obsession who looks exactly like shadow and is kind of sold of being mysterious and looking exactly like shadow. Both of these characters have interesting premises that are ruined by being turned into shadow. 

Ok Some of you all might get where i'm going with this

Ok so lets Jump to sonic forces. Allegedly in the OG version of the script infinite was an experiment that egg-man made wholesale. And even in the current version of the script or " SCRIPT " because that games story makes little sense, infinite is someone eggman found an experimented on with the power of the phantom ruby. Now while eggman is a pompous goofball, he isn't stupid. I'm sure eggman more so than anyone that people would eventually catch on to infinite power being illusions and given they were easily taken out by anything of reasonable strength he couldn't rely on his minion forever. This is ontop of potential eventual betrayal by infnite.

To reference star wars Sheev Palpatine ( yes that's his name ) often tried to enlist other apprentices to eventually replace Darth Vader in the extended universe stuff. One because Vader was an old robot man who was eventually going to die and could never really get a lot done correctly and maybe he was a bit pissed he had probably gotten what was potentially the best apprentice in the history of ever and anikins dumbass jumped in lava and ruined that. But more important to my explanation  reason number two, eventual betrayal. Siths generally operate in 1 master 1 formal apprentice manners , why? Because they have power lust and they kill each other and its easier to keep track of one guy if you just don't trust that one guy than a whole class of evil jerk bags who will eventually want to kill you. And while there might not have been signs in the game of infinite eventually doing that, i'm sure eggman as a forward thinking individual went " This can only work on for so long" so he went to experimenting on animals he found. Infinite has found him more success than his robotic creations, realizing this eggman using probably various prisoners he had taken during that period he had effectively taken over the world begun experimenting.

And he went back to his old well, the mystery that had been alluding him for so long, shadow. Shadow is immortal, no matter how many times it seems like he should he just comes back, he can't get sick he seems to get more powerful as time goes by not even needing the chaos emeralds anymore. Shadow is a mystery that has eluded eggman for years. Even when he had shadow in custody when he found him in SA2 he could not figure out what made shadow tick, and you know once he found out about the black arms he probably started experiments on any bodies he found or residue to only turn up empty handed. And if you want to get REALLY conspiracy theory with this you could suggest that eggmans investigation with the wisps were to further this cause.

So to get back to whisper, maybe during this period eggman was working on new experiments to make a new protege , based on shadow. And whisper is one of the test subjects that survived. Remember in Whispers introductory issue it is implied she may have been experimented on and what was trying to be done, was to make her his shadow. So she breaks out, she helps defeat him, the war is over. And then she meets him, she sees the guy that had brought her so much pain and suffering for all that type she was experimented on and.... he's just a hedgehog. Along with that disappointment there is a probably a rage a rage brewing because he quite literally the cause of her pain and suffering. And he's just there, he's fine she's not. And it makes her pissed

What if this, her being upset and any potential future actions sort of a meta commentary on characters , who by being made to be like shadow are actually made to be worse. Along with bringing back some really old plotlines from shadow the hedgehog

That's my theory 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Aiiight Aiiight AIiight

Hold up I had to post this because I just had this idea and I believe I just solved the mystery, or if there is any mystery at all. Someone posted that MGS like fanart of whisper and I think its relevant. 

What if Whisper's beef with shadow isn't because of the shadow clones or possible infinite affiliation. What if whispers beef with shadow is because shadow is what she was supposed to be.

Now you might be like WAT, and I get that. To explain what I mean, we got go back to the past. Back all  the way to the mythical year of 2005 where a notorious game called shadow the hedgehog was released. In that game eggman before he had realized that shadow's powers are more organic origin rather than anything technological bestowed and previously in sonic heroes had begun creating shadow androids to try and replicate the ultimate life form. It was a failure.  

Lets jump to the comics, there is a character called scourge the hedgehog. Scourge the hedgehog eventually became a parody a living embodiment of what people thought sonic characters were a representation of how people were generally wrong about their characterization and a sort of joke on actual fan fiction recolors. Ian Flynn on more than one occasion has delved into meta humor and commentary on the franchise when allowed to do so. 

Now lets jump to the mythical year of 2006 to where another notorious sonic game is released, sonic the hedgehog 2006, a game that has broken many a youtube lets player. It features the characters Silver the hedgehog and Mephilies the dark.  Silver the hedgehog a more heroic and naive hedgehog is sort of introduced like shadow, he has a beef with sonic, he fights sonic he's a mysterious hedgehog on a mission of eventual self sacrifice and his goals lead him to at one point trying to harm the good guys until he learns better and changes his ways. It is often a criticism of silver in sonic 06 that his introduction for a character like him was way too similar to shadows and they should have tried to introduce on his own merits rather than " lets try doing shadow again " . Mephilies is similar but worse he's a mythical demon with a shadow obsession who looks exactly like shadow and is kind of sold of being mysterious and looking exactly like shadow. Both of these characters have interesting premises that are ruined by being turned into shadow.  

Ok Some of you all might get where i'm going with this

Ok so lets Jump to sonic forces. Allegedly in the OG version of the script infinite was an experiment that egg-man made wholesale. And even in the current version of the script or " SCRIPT " because that games story makes little sense, infinite is someone eggman found an experimented on with the power of the phantom ruby. Now while eggman is a pompous goofball, he isn't stupid. I'm sure eggman more so than anyone that people would eventually catch on to infinite power being illusions and given they were easily taken out by anything of reasonable strength he couldn't rely on his minion forever. This is ontop of potential eventual betrayal by infnite.

To reference star wars Sheev Palpatine ( yes that's his name ) often tried to enlist other apprentices to eventually replace Darth Vader in the extended universe stuff. One because Vader was an old robot man who was eventually going to die and could never really get a lot done correctly and maybe he was a bit pissed he had probably gotten what was potentially the best apprentice in the history of ever and anikins dumbass jumped in lava and ruined that. But more important to my explanation  reason number two, eventual betrayal. Siths generally operate in 1 master 1 formal apprentice manners , why? Because they have power lust and they kill each other and its easier to keep track of one guy if you just don't trust that one guy than a whole class of evil jerk bags who will eventually want to kill you. And while there might not have been signs in the game of infinite eventually doing that, i'm sure eggman as a forward thinking individual went " This can only work on for so long" so he went to experimenting on animals he found. Infinite has found him more success than his robotic creations, realizing this eggman using probably various prisoners he had taken during that period he had effectively taken over the world begun experimenting.

And he went back to his old well, the mystery that had been alluding him for so long, shadow. Shadow is immortal, no matter how many times it seems like he should he just comes back, he can't get sick he seems to get more powerful as time goes by not even needing the chaos emeralds anymore. Shadow is a mystery that has eluded eggman for years. Even when he had shadow in custody when he found him in SA2 he could not figure out what made shadow tick, and you know once he found out about the black arms he probably started experiments on any bodies he found or residue to only turn up empty handed. And if you want to get REALLY conspiracy theory with this you could suggest that eggmans investigation with the wisps were to further this cause.

So to get back to whisper, maybe during this period eggman was working on new experiments to make a new protege , based on shadow. And whisper is one of the test subjects that survived. Remember in Whispers introductory issue it is implied she may have been experimented on and what was trying to be done, was to make her his shadow. So she breaks out, she helps defeat him, the war is over. And then she meets him, she sees the guy that had brought her so much pain and suffering for all that type she was experimented on and.... he's just a hedgehog. Along with that disappointment there is a probably a rage a rage brewing because he quite literally the cause of her pain and suffering. And he's just there, he's fine she's not. And it makes her pissed

What if this, her being upset and any potential future actions sort of a meta commentary on characters , who by being made to be like shadow are actually made to be worse. Along with bringing back some really old plotlines from shadow the hedgehog

That's my theory 

I like this theory very much! But I still think it's just Phantom Shadow that harmed her. Next months (or year) will tell.

16 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Aiiight Aiiight AIiight

That's close to what I was thinking, at least per your own reasoning.

EDIT: So, after taking the time to actually read all that shit, you ebbed in and out in the second half, but I think the general is pretty solid.

Now spoiler most of that.

Oh, look- Another awesome cover:

And I'm echoing the sentiments that the character dynamics and continuity nods in this issue are pretty stellar. This is looking to be a pretty hype climax!

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Nice Smile 1

Ah. Robots can go Super. Or rather, they can go super if they're hedgehog shaped, most likely.

Funny thing is, Omega was on one of the three covers for this issue but doesn't appear anywhere here. I guess the introductions one after another thing is over now. 

I like me some stormy weather too.

Fine issue. I'm not too big on the Resistance thing continuing as it did just yet. I do like the idea of Team Dark being more their own thing in the grand scheme of things. I kind of wish the Chaotix felt a bit more like that too. Kind of like how they were in Sonic X Season 3 but I understand why the story would be structured so that they're already closely knit here. That thing where seperate groups go off and have their own adventures isn't fully gone but I like seeing it happen more often than not. 

Also not a fan of Ian's references to memes and musical numbers. An image of Neo Metal Sonic jamming to his Metal Overlord theme before Sonic and Knuckles broke in kind of entered my head there.

1 hour ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Ah. Robots can go Super. Or rather, they can go super if they're hedgehog shaped, most likely.

Funny thing is, Omega was on one of the three covers for this issue but doesn't appear anywhere here. I guess the introductions one after another thing is over now. 

I like me some stormy weather too.

Fine issue. I'm not too big on the Resistance thing continuing as it did just yet. I do like the idea of Team Dark being more their own thing in the grand scheme of things. I kind of wish the Chaotix felt a bit more like that too. Kind of like how they were in Sonic X Season 3 but I understand why the story would be structured so that they're already closely knit here. That thing where seperate groups go off and have their own adventures isn't fully gone but I like seeing it happen more often than not. 

Also not a fan of Ian's references to memes and musical numbers. An image of Neo Metal Sonic jamming to his Metal Overlord theme before Sonic and Knuckles broke in kind of entered my head there.

Robots going super is noting new. Mecha Sonic went Super way back in sonic 3 and knuckles. or just knuckles. i dont think you had to be linked. And gmerl technically went into a super form but i think Mechas was more true to the "Super" form

3 hours ago, Meta77 said:

Robots going super is noting new.

Doesn't surprise me. Doesn't change the fact that this is the first time I've seen it happen. 

10 hours ago, Meta77 said:

this is basically what happens in s and k just really well animated

Mecha Sonic is such an odd design and reminds me just how detailed S3&K's super badniks and locations could look at times.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

Mecha Sonic is such an odd design and reminds me just how detailed S3&K's super badniks and locations could look at times.

I miss him. He was like a suped UP metal but more powerful. Technically he's not dead. He's buried in the ocean shut down

4 hours ago, Meta77 said:

I miss him. He was like a suped UP metal but more powerful. Technically he's not dead. He's buried in the ocean shut down

Looks pretty dead to me. The reason Eggman brought Metal back is that he was the only Sonic robot there was enough left of to repair.

And can I just say that Blaze was the highlight of this issue for me? Between her characterization carrying over from later games and...

Spoiler

Ian coming up with a good justification as to why she can't just overpower Neo with her Burning form, but still giving her an awesome scene of obliterating half the Fleet on her own, I'm reminded of why we were all so fond of her during the Rush days.

And I just had a horrible realization regarding Super Metal: He went from Señor Starfish Head to Señor ASTERON Head! All he needs now is to harness the power of the Barrels of Doom, and he'll be unstoppable!

7 minutes ago, Forte-Metallix said:

And can I just say that Blaze was the highlight of this issue for me? Between her characterization carrying over from later games and...

Reveal hidden contents

Ian coming up with a good justification as to why she can't just overpower Neo with her Burning form, but still giving her an awesome scene of obliterating half the Fleet on her own, I'm reminded of why we were all so fond of her during the Rush days.

And I just had a horrible realization regarding Super Metal: He went from Señor Starfish Head to Señor ASTERON Head! All he needs now is to harness the power of the Barrels of Doom, and he'll be unstoppable!

I think not having Blaze confront Neo shows Ian has learned from some of his mistakes from his run in Archie. Remember that during the Iron Dominion arc, the FFs sent Nicole, an AI who could control the nanites that New Mobotropolis was made of against a literal techno-witch. This was a rather dumb move seemingly made to stretch out the arc.

35 minutes ago, Forte-Metallix said:

Hide contents

Oh goodness, I didn't think of that.

First, the green Heavy, and now this.

26 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Hide contents

I think not having Blaze confront Neo shows Ian has learned from some of his mistakes from his run in Archie. Remember that during the Iron Dominion arc, the FFs sent Nicole, an AI who could control the nanites that New Mobotropolis was made of against a literal techno-witch. This was a rather dumb move seemingly made to stretch out the arc.

Wow, you really didn't like that.

14 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Oh goodness, I didn't think of that.

First, the green Heavy, and now this.

Wow, you really didn't like that.

Well, I haven't read that arc (I probably went too far with using dumb), but it was a rather questionable choice to make that had terrible consequences later on with citizens fearing Nicole (not helped that the heroes never really brought up how it was kind of their fault that it happened).

In all fairness, the Iron Queen didn’t catch on to the fact she could even do that either until Snively brought it up when she forced him to make a solution dealing with NICOLE.

That and given how that mistake was set up for the next arc, I find that to be an intentional set up. Not that people complained about characters making perfect decisions, but I find it hard to get hung up on a narrative that has the character make mistakes and sets itself up for their consequences in a later arc.

• Thumbs Up 6

2 minutes ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

In all fairness, the Iron Queen didn’t catch on to the fact she could even do that until Snively brought it up when she forced him to make a solution dealing with her.

That and given how that mistake was set up for the next arc, I find that to be an intentional set up. Not that people complained about characters making perfect decisions, but I find it hard to get hung up on a narrative that has the character make mistakes and sets itself up for their consequences in a later arc.

I wonder if a reuniting between Sally and NICOLE would've involved addressing that as well.

New cover, but I need to hide this one because it involves the big twist:

Spoiler

DnqAswuUwAAk8oy.jpg

Between this, Mania Adventures/Plus, Team Sonic Racing, and the new 25th anniversary merch on the Sega Shop, I think it's safe to call 2018 the Year of Metal!

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Nice Smile 1