Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

2 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

I thought so for a while, but the dude was spamming chaos control. He can’t do that without an emerald and shadow technically had them at that point. 

I think we have to consider devil doom a chaos powered transformation, unless someone wants to argue that he could use chaos control without the emeralds, which would come with the additional baggage of wondering why he would need to collect the emeralds in the first place.

Fair point, though he technically teleports throughout the story constantly anyway.

It's also been suggested that Chaos Control can indeed be used without the Emeralds, but in a much weaker form than what you'd normally get.

Metal Overlord could use Chaos Control and that clearly was not an emerald-based transformation since the heroes had them all.

Plus Doom teleports Shadow away after Westopolis' neutral mission even though Shadow has the only two emeralds in the area at that point.

5 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Metal Overlord could use Chaos Control and that clearly was not an emerald-based transformation since the heroes had them all.

Plus Doom teleports Shadow away after Westopolis' neutral mission even though Shadow has the only two emeralds in the area at that point.

Proximity based Chaos Control?

2 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Fair point, though he technically teleports throughout the story constantly anyway.

It's also been suggested that Chaos Control can indeed be used without the Emeralds, but in a much weaker form than what you'd normally get.

There was nothing weaker about the chaos control devil doom was using. Given his size, he was teleporting halfway across a city. 

2 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Metal Sonic proved that the bio data for Shadow is all that is necessary for him to mimic chaos control in the rivals series. He doesn’t need a chaos emerald to evoke chaos control any more than he needs silvers brain to mimic his esp 

That early teleport is a good point though. It is worth remembering that Doom is in possession of the red chaos emerald at the end of the main game if you encounter his as a boss so it could be possible that he already attained it somehow 

40 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Proximity based Chaos Control?

Given Shadow now can do chaos control with out emeralds regularly, maybe Black Arms just get that power through age. And the emeralds are just power ups for what they are doing

Man IDW may not hold me as strong as Archie did (tho it’s doing a better job than the games with storytelling, which is a given with Ian), this much cannot be denied—it’s doing Metal Sonic far more justice that he’s ever had.

This is the kind if Metal Sonic I’ve longed for. He was never bad in Archie, but it’s shame Ian couldn’t get far enough to do the same in post-reboot Archie make him shine like this.

• Thumbs Up 3

16 minutes ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

Man IDW may not hold me as strong as Archie did (tho it’s doing a better job than the games with storytelling, which is a given with Ian), this much cannot be denied—it’s doing Metal Sonic far more justice that he’s ever had.

This is the kind if Metal Sonic I’ve longed for. He was never bad in Archie, but it’s shame Ian couldn’t get far enough to do the same in post-reboot Archie make him shine like this.

Pre-reboot Metal Sonic was just beginning to be a way bigger threat tho, like never before. Too bad the comic got its first reboot right after SU#50.

Eh, I don't really care much for this take on Metal, personally. With his independence wiped and with him focused on taking shit over for Eggman, he hardly even feels like Metal. There's no personal drive there, he's just doing what he was programmed to do...and yeah ok he's a robot most of what he's done is what he's been programmed to do, but I don't feel like this is building anywhere for Metal as a character. He's just a loyal drone doing what Eggman would do, except blandly competent instead of interestingly flawed.

• Thumbs Up 1

Also completely off the subject of Metal Sonic's characterisation, can I just say that IDW Chaotix haven't exactly wowed me so far. 

It's not a dumpster fire like Sonic X Chaotix or preboot Chaotix (up to Chaotix Quest), it's just...eh.

3 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Also completely off the subject of Metal Sonic's characterisation, can I just say that IDW Chaotix haven't exactly wowed me so far. 

It's not a dumpster fire like Sonic X Chaotix or preboot Chaotix (up to Chaotix Quest), it's just...eh.

Probably because aside from issues 5 and 6, they haven't really been showcasing their personalities or dynamics yet.

Other characters have shown more with less space, though. 

Edit: Heck, Sonic Universe #63 showed off more, and that had the job of reintroducing the characters from scratch after their preboot histories and personalities were retconned out. 

1 hour ago, Diogenes said:

Eh, I don't really care much for this take on Metal, personally. With his independence wiped and with him focused on taking shit over for Eggman, he hardly even feels like Metal. There's no personal drive there, he's just doing what he was programmed to do...and yeah ok he's a robot most of what he's done is what he's been programmed to do, but I don't feel like this is building anywhere for Metal as a character. He's just a loyal drone doing what Eggman would do, except blandly competent instead of interestingly flawed.

Honestly, I'm just kinda blankin on him, actually. Maybe it's because of how relative spurty this comic feels, but I feel like we haven't actually seen that much of Neo Metal.

Sure, you can say that with the other characters, but this is the big bad of this first arc and yet, I feel his most memorable moments off the top of my head are his comments on Amy in Issue 2, his behavior as Eggman when Sonic figures him out, and his resolving after Sonic escapes their fight.

But yeah, I'm probably not all that keen on a bit of the service he and Amy have gotten.

17 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Including Charmy?

Neo Metal sonic: Goal driven, a actual threat in a fight to sonic so much to the point one on one he beat sonic, still considers himself the real sonic and real sonic fake, loyal to eggman and not another bumbling funny villain easily beaten or written off. can talk opening up more to let us know what he is thinking and what he wants to do

Regular metal: cannot talk, far less threating, can put up a fight but rarely has any big victories. If your looking for character development defintally not going to find it in him. Has no powers outside being strong for a robot and somewhat fast. Gets boring cause he is never seen as a real villian more as just a metal that is constantly rebuilt over and over whenever they destroy him.

I look forward to seeing where they take the story after this little arc. and if he will stay around but in the background for awhile.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey guys, I'm making my own timeline which includes the games and the comics.

Where should I put Team Sonic Racing (the game and its comic): Before or after Sonic Forces??

I ask because Eggman is present, and Metal Sonic is in his Sonic CD form.

14 hours ago, Diogenes said:

I actually agree with this. It's my only real problem with how this arc is unfolding so far. If Metal Sonic was just going to do what Eggman would do it really could have just been Eggman in that chair unless there's another twist coming(and I wouldn't put it past them). The sheer fanservice makes it kind of fun but I'm not sold on him as a character.

I guess the difference between them could be his competence, but it's not like we've had Eggman in the villain's chair yet to compare. A con of this book starting off in a weird place. 

I didn't talk about the last issue at all so I'll just say I liked it mostly because of the character interactions toward the beginning. The chaotix playing cards and fucking with the more serious members of the group is the type of stuff I like to see. 

11 hours ago, Meta77 said:

Neo Metal sonic: Goal driven, a actual threat in a fight to sonic so much to the point one on one he beat sonic, still considers himself the real sonic and real sonic fake, loyal to eggman and not another bumbling funny villain easily beaten or written off. can talk opening up more to let us know what he is thinking and what he wants to do

Regular metal: cannot talk, far less threating, can put up a fight but rarely has any big victories. If your looking for character development defintally not going to find it in him. Has no powers outside being strong for a robot and somewhat fast. Gets boring cause he is never seen as a real villian more as just a metal that is constantly rebuilt over and over whenever they destroy him.

I look forward to seeing where they take the story after this little arc. and if he will stay around but in the background for awhile.

My perspective: I love Neo Metal Sonic as a character concept. However, there's one thing that bugs me: Ian Flynn doesn't go too deep with this concept. Yes, he does talk, but it's more generic villain things. Flynn, if he gets the chance, should spend a bit more time developing him and his motives. Also, he should have been like Heroes, where he was free and NOT under Eggman's control.

13 hours ago, Meta77 said:

Thanks for [trying to] remind me why Metal Sonic is sometimes not very appealing to me.

2 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

Hey guys, I'm making my own timeline which includes the games and the comics.

Where should I put Team Sonic Racing (the game and its comic): Before or after Sonic Forces??

I ask because Eggman is present, and Metal Sonic is in his Sonic CD form.

Before, not that it'll probably matter too much.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't know how neo metal can match estoric levels of hax with shadow powers without the chaos emeralds but whatever. This is why shadow has to prove he's the ultimate lifeform I'm guessing.

3 hours ago, Wraith said:

The sheer fanservice makes it kind of fun but I'm not sold on him as a character.

I guess the difference between them could be his competence, but it's not like we've had Eggman in the villain's chair yet to compare. A con of this book starting off in a weird place. 

3 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

My perspective: I love Neo Metal Sonic as a character concept. However, there's one thing that bugs me: Ian Flynn doesn't go too deep with this concept. Yes, he does talk, but it's more generic villain things. Flynn, if he gets the chance, should spend a bit more time developing him and his motives

Both pretty good points.

17 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

Other characters have shown more with less space, though. 

Having a face/mouth to be expressive with helps.

If anything could it be Sega yet again saying just how far they are allowed to develop a characters personality (Sega created characters, not non like Whisper) honestly they could eventually lead to Eggman coming back *i mean i would not mind mr tinker a bit longer* and Neo disagreeing with how he thinks they should evnetually counter attack or continue the war. Still somewhat loyal but more like Infinite where he continues to work with eggman but is not above telling him off or seeing how things should go.

I don't really think there's much personality to give him.

Before I continue, I would like to address a previous point, I can't give credit to neo doing metal justice because neo and the metal sonic we know are largely two different characters. 

Back to the first thing, metal is kind of a generic villain with terminator powers. He's a robot that got sentience and now he wants to take over the world, he looks kinda cool but he isn't the most involved. Its why I think he works as a most villain, he doesn't need long diatribes or intense backstory he's an eggman robot that went rouge and probably used the phantom ruby on eggman to trap him in some form of illusion that causes him to think he's some tinker man whilst he tries to take over the world himself. I think personally the people wanting neo to be complicated are barking up the wrong tree. He's a set up villain, he's simple and works and allows ian to write a sonic heroes story which he notably wanted to do. The important stuff is the things going on around him, that set up future stories