Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

13 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

It baffles me how with a cast as large as Sonic's, only one character had had an explored backstory and an extensive arc.

Knuckles comes the "closest" off the top of my head, but his case wasn't really dedicated or specific.

5 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

She was at one point, but Cream ran for help because she feared that Amy was pushing herself too hard and she feared for her health. Amy was on an extreme diet and fitness plan and was self inflicting a crazy amount of punishment over herself. 

Huh. Well, whaddya know.

4 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Cream was so pacifist in Battle that she was willing to stand still and be beaten to death. On more than one occasion.

I was just thinking about that, actually.

To be fair in her case, that's, like, her third appearance and was one of the only bouts of focused character development she got in the games anyway.

5 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

To be fair in her case, that's, like, her third appearance and was one of the only bouts of focused character development she got in the games anyway.

You can't even call it that. She regressed from a character that was clearly willing and able to fight in her first appearance, into one that wouldn't fight back against something that was intent on murdering her.

Its not character development to take 2 steps back so we can watch her take 2 steps forwards.

33 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Knuckles ancestors are characters in SA1 for crying out loud. Shedding light on his situation, and he goes through a pretty big arc from nemesis to rival to friend over the course of the series. He's probably tied up in more backstory and lure than even Shadow at this point.

I don't think knuckles really counts. I think knuckles kind of needs expansion upon or at least never got as much as people say. His backstory is largely " Your ancestors left a mural to how cool someone else is " and that aspect never really gets expanded upon? Like you see other echidinas but like.. they don't really give any information besides exposition to the larger plot with chaos. Like knuckles never really goes through much of an arc like Blaze or shadow. He's just like " Ok I guess i'm not fighting sonic anymore " and that's what happened because sega decided he was sonic's friend... and that's it. They have largely kind of ignored his duty's to angel island at this point, I would argue what little  developments he did have are actively being taken away by sega.

A few other characters, you sort of get like to see them change over the course of a game or a few. Knuckles is just flips like " GUess i'm good now " and ... that's it. 

• Thumbs Up 3

36 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Cream was so pacifist in Battle that she was willing to stand still and be beaten to death. On more than one occasion.

Ok, that's a fair point.

Cream not fighting after the events of Advance 2 and Heroes doesn't make much sense here.

36 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

True. But there are just better examples to show that opposed to cherry picking a fight and ignoring a boatload of context behind it.

If you want to see her being cunning manipulative and cruel, look at the build up to that fight instead. She tricked Sonic into giving her authority over Emerl ahead of time (ensuring he would leave with her willingly when the time came). She played her cards and bided her time until Sonic left Emerl with Amy, because she didn't want to risk a fight against him, and finally she struck a vulnerable target that wasn't equipped to defend herself. Cruel Cunning and Manipulative before she even threw the first punch.

Didn't I already mention this?

1 hour ago, Sonictrainer said:

After tricking Sonic into telling Emerl to "listen" to Rouge, she waited until Sonic & Tails left Emerl alone with Amy, KOs Amy twice

21 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Yeah, Battle was really the first to define who Cream was as a character, so it isn't so much mischaracterizing her as it is just plain defining her. It's just unfortunate that they sacked her with a personality that contradicts what little she had accomplished up to that point, and I don't think they've really known what to do with since.

9 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

You can't even call it that. She regressed from a character that was clearly willing and able to fight in her first appearance, into one that wouldn't fight back against something that was intent on murdering her.

Its not character development to take 2 steps back so we can watch her take 2 steps forwards.

Sonic Advance 2 is a. a game with very loose story, allowing some room for leeway in regards to the "finer" details of how things played out in that run happy game, and b. had the fact that her mother was also among those kidnapped by Eggman motivating her. Cream initially not wanting to fight Chaos Gamma in self-defense(albiet for whatever reason it was in context), but deciding to step up once Emerl tries to protect her and convinces her to do so is still technically consistent with that.

A more compassionate character bending their preference for others more than themselves is a natural trait and the pacifistic types in particular are some of the more literal examples of that.

And for better or worse, that still pretty early instance is also the only time that type of scenario has ever comes up in a story from what I know.

38 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Amy couldn't even walk straight following a 5 KO bout of Boxersize and she still dragged Cream and Emerl into a 10 KO slugfest. Then following that, she revealed that she had been wearing weighted gear, took them off and was looking to rumble some more.

Great Scott, they went that far?

56 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Blaze's backstory has been brought up so many times that we have conflicting paradox's about her existence. She too also had a noticble and easy to follow character arc over the course of 2 games.

What was her arc in Rush Adventure?

9 minutes ago, Cuz said:

Yeah, Battle was really the first to define who Cream was as a character, so it isn't so much mischaracterizing her as it is just plain defining her. It's just unfortunate that they sacked her with a personality that contradicts what little she had accomplished up to that point, and I don't think they've really known what to do with since.

Eh, it's Sonic Team.  ...I can't think of much else needed to be said.

• Thumbs Up 1

If Sonic games weren't so intent in having every character in every game as well as often working together...some of the characterizations in Sonic Battle could probably be done more often making for great interactions in character pairing per game/story.

Sonic Battle makes also Amy and Cream's dynamic very much unlike Sonic and Tails. Sonic actually interacts with Rouge. As mentioned Rouge is a lot more selfish and manipulative.

Battle was nuts

also any canonicity it had was then reconned by ShTh, so its like this weird thing that just kind of exists

59 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Battle was nuts

also any canonicity it had was then reconned by ShTh, so its like this weird thing that just kind of exists

How so?

37 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

How so?

Shadow the hedgehog basically says that battle didn't happen in a lot of respects, as mentioned above shadow is dealing with amnesia in ShtH which he seemed to have gotten over in battle. But two, in general character development and lore tidbits ShTh basically moves away from maria and Gerald being catalysts for what shadow can do " I have maria's soul that's why I can do chaos control " and just says " Nah its aliens " . Well i'm being purposefully blunt, what the game says ( poorly ) is that shadow achievements while do have something to do with shadow's alien DNA are largely his own and he puts his past behind him so sonic team doesn't have to have shadow calling out for maria for strength every time, shadow can just grow and become more powerful and a better person on his own with out needing to do all that. Its effectively literally closing the book on maria and Gerald in many respects. Also speaking of closing the books, it basically confirmed Gerald couldn't have worked on anything like gemerald, that all he did was the biolizard and Shadow and that was kinda it( and what he did with shadow is now questionable) . They keep Gemril design around, but as a character he kind of just doesn't exist, I think it speaks to his non existence that Sega was ok with him quite literally being transformed into another character in the previous Archie book. Gemril is a blaze situation, but they never bothered to fix it... so he's just kind of this thing that exists.  Where did he come from? Don't worry about it.

So yeah that.

I think sega is gonna continue to move in that direction with shadow's character as well in future. If there is ever a reboot, I think whatever tragedy occurs wont be played up as much ( or related to egg man at all ). it will kinda focus on him being some weird alien mutant and stuff, cuz kids and toys and shit

15 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

I thought it was a common belief among the fandom that Battle just takes place after Shadow?

That's a dumb belief. Because the lesson, the whole point of Shadow the hedgehog is a contradictory point to everything shadow does in that game. 

Its a retcon, Sonic spin off games often don't matter in the grand scheme of things and that was one of em.

Like the whole point of that game is to go " Nah this is what's up with shadow" , anyone saying that battle just took place after ShtH is overly obsessed with at trying to make everything canon. Not everything is canon, sometimes its a fun thing that occurred that doesn't matter

The other characters really mistreated Amy in Sonic Battle. Her attacks in Battle didn't feel so generic like they did in both Sonic Boom and IDW comics where she's just "the girl" character.

Just now, Fire-N-Space said:

The other characters really mistreated Amy in Sonic Battle. Her attacks in Battle didn't feel so generic like they did in both Sonic Boom and IDW comics where she's just "the girl" character.

Kinda yea

Some characters get really neat cool shit. Some characters like amy got like generic stuff. Then some characters like tails, got like really weird stuff

Despite some of its characterization issues, I really liked battle as a game. And I would like sonic team to indulge in making some form of sonic fighting type game in the futureThey probably wont make one that could potentially be competitive, but something like the naruto ultimate ninja storm games would work for it

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, StaticMania said:

If Sonic games weren't so intent in having every character in every game as well as often working together...some of the characterizations in Sonic Battle could probably be done more often making for great interactions in character pairing per game/story.

Sonic Battle makes also Amy and Cream's dynamic very much unlike Sonic and Tails. Sonic actually interacts with Rouge. As mentioned Rouge is a lot more selfish and manipulative.

Yeah, seriously.

5 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Then some characters like tails, got like really weird stuff

Like what?

5 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Despite some of its characterization issues, I really liked battle as a game. And I would like sonic team to indulge in making some form of sonic fighting type game in the futureThey probably wont make one that could potentially be competitive, but something like the naruto ultimate ninja storm games would work for it

Agreed.

7 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Tails had like gaint mechanical magic hands that flicked you out of the ground and shit

Oh, you mean the fighting styles! Okay.

Tails' fighting style in general is somewhat nebulous.

Wasn't knuckle's super " Throw a fucking rock at you " , and the gamma botts had the mad explosion supers that would take out whole heath bars

7 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Wasn't knuckle's super " Throw a fucking rock at you " , and the gamma botts had the mad explosion supers that would take out whole heath bars

Yeah, I saw those sprites. :lol: 

New Ian Flynn tweet:

He is clearly forced to abide to Sega's nonsensical rule. "Sonic's world, human world, sometime they crossover for the game's need" this statement by Iizuka makes ZERO sense, and we're forced to accept it as canon.

• Thumbs Up 4

7 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

New Ian Flynn tweet:

He is clearly forced to abide to Sega's nonsensical rule. "Sonic's world, human world, sometime they crossover for the game's need" this statement by Iizuka makes ZERO sense, and we're forced to accept it as canon.

And that's news how?

• Thumbs Up 1