Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

On a lighter note, what does everyone think of the current arc?  I love that Blaze is getting some decent screen time and she got to go Burning right off the bat and that Metal is upping the game when it comes to his plan.  I suppose this might be meant to harken back to when Mogul revealed himself in Sonic#56 and Sonic, Tails and Knuckles had to go super to battle "Master Mogul".  I hope we get Super Sonic and Burning Blaze battling Super Neo Metal Sonic(that's a mouthful).  

9 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Amy meets Tails and Knuckles for the first time in Sonic Mega Drive

If you use modern (relatively speaking) western material to fill in for gaps in the old Japanese manuals. Though, it is a great place to squeeze in Mega Drive, even though being western written and made I don't get the pleasure of seeing Amy refer to Sonic as Sonic-sama like she does in the Japanese manual for Sonic Drift 😅

More on topic though, since Mega Drive is "Classicverse" and all and no longer relevant to Modern, what does anyone really expect out of the battle for Angel Island. Right now, the main event is the Neo Metal Sonic brawl which looks like it will include Sonic, Knuckles, and eventually Shadow, but everyone else just seems to be on a bot bash. Should we expect more E-series robots, possibly even the E-thousand series since Heroes is the basis for this story, to make life difficult for the others, or are we just expecting them to become background elements who eventually show up for Neo's defeat? My personal hope is since Tails should be doing something smart (as ordered 😆), that they'll discover something urgent that needs their attention and will result in some good tension as well as seeding future developments.

2 minutes ago, SatAMhog said:

On a lighter note, what does everyone think of the current arc?  I love that Blaze is getting some decent screen time and she got to go Burning right off the bat and that Metal is upping the game when it comes to his plan.  I suppose this might be meant to harken back to when Mogul revealed himself in Sonic#56 and Sonic, Tails and Knuckles had to go super to battle "Master Mogul".  I hope we get Super Sonic and Burning Blaze battling Super Neo Metal Sonic(that's a mouthful).  

As is, I'm waiting to see how things go down. I loved the interactions and the immediacy brought to the beginning of the operation to take back Angel Island, but it feels like little more than a beginning right now. Burning Blaze is nice to see and all, but she's currently like taking Super Sonic through Green Hill Zone; there's no challenge to really face yet (her fear of heights notwithstanding). It's just cool spectacle even if it tactical for the operation. It's fully believable even, but right now I'm not getting anything from it so I'm hoping Blaze gets challenged legitimately sooner than latter just to add some spectacle and really show us what a super form can do. Heck, I'd love to see Burning Blaze's actions played alongside Neo's just to highlight how in over their heads Sonic and Knuckles are.

Sonic Mega Drive means nothing to the games since it was never in that continuity, so I don't know why it was even brought up in reference to the Japanese manuals. I mean, it's not relevant to anything what with its continuity being dead. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I won't argue that point, but it was brought up as an example of Amy's first meeting with Tails and Knuckles, canonicity regardless. Or at least that's how I perceived it, hence my response.

48 minutes ago, SatAMhog said:

Um, it's a little more than alright for a part 1.

Till now I feel there should be more, more worldbuilding, more location names, more secondary new characters, enough to warrant a Sonic Universe book.

43 minutes ago, Sonic Fan J said:

More on topic though, since Mega Drive is "Classicverse" and all and no longer relevant to Modern, what does anyone really expect out of the battle for Angel Island.

Honestly, not sure.

The Super Neo Metal and Burning Blaze aspects are kinda the main focus, so I honestly don't think I need to say much beyond Knuckles actually having relevance given the personal stakes.

I will say that I kinda doubt what's going on with Whisper will get *too* much focus/progression right now, as they'd probably wanna save that for it's own set of stories.

Kinda hoping Rouge and the Chaotix will get some actual spotlight here over some of the others since barring Charmy they were kind of restricted in the Mr. Tinker 2-parter.

And we know that Cream&Cheese, Omega, and Gemerl are just Advertised Extras, so there's not really anything worth saying there.

The E-2000s would be a nice touch, though.

53 minutes ago, SatAMhog said:

On a lighter note, what does everyone think of the current arc? 

I kinda hate it. The comic's strength so far has been the casual interactions between the heroes, but almost nothing else so far has worked for me. Everything's written assuming the reader is already familiar with Sonic, not just casually but as a diligent fan, so everything has an awkward feel like you're jumping into an ongoing comic but it's still doing character introductions. Even aside from that everything feels rushed and contrived, like everything we're seeing is just meant to be setup, getting all the toys out on the table for future storylines rather than focusing on telling a good story now. The whole "mystery villain" angle was disappointing, and Metal doesn't even feel like himself. They've brought together like a dozen characters for this big raid to take back Angel Island and the Master Emerald from (Super) Neo Metal Sonic and I don't feel like the comic has given me reason to care about any of it.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Diogenes said:

I kinda hate it. The comic's strength so far has been the casual interactions between the heroes, but almost nothing else so far has worked for me. Everything's written assuming the reader is already familiar with Sonic, not just casually but as a diligent fan, so everything has an awkward feel like you're jumping into an ongoing comic but it's still doing character introductions. Even aside from that everything feels rushed and contrived, like everything we're seeing is just meant to be setup, getting all the toys out on the table for future storylines rather than focusing on telling a good story now. The whole "mystery villain" angle was disappointing, and Metal doesn't even feel like himself. They've brought together like a dozen characters for this big raid to take back Angel Island and the Master Emerald from (Super) Neo Metal Sonic and I don't feel like the comic has given me reason to care about any of it.

I have to agree, there is SOMETHING that is missing.

2 hours ago, SatAMhog said:

This video popped up as I was searching for Sonic Riders videos today oddly enough.  You'll have to forgive me, I'm not really familiar with this creator on youtube but I think I may have a few of his other videos mentioned in the "recommended" section of my youtube.

Is there any truth to this video down below?  In summation, he's saying that IDW Creatives who work on Sonic The Hedgehog are insulting people on Twitter for their political or religious beliefs which is wrong if true.  From what I've seen of the tweets described in the video, it's kinda, maybe....I don't know.  Ian Flynn, David Mariotte and Tracy Yardley are quoted in the video.

Ian takes a more neutral stance and doesn't really insult anyone directly.  David is directly replying to someone and did seem a little on edge in his response and Tracy's was probably the harshest example the video creator went over as Tracy is stating a direct political opinion.  I'm not gonna say what but I thought I'd get a general consensus.

Does this guy have a point in his video or would you say he's spouting nonsense to an extent?  People have a right to express their opinion but to demonize someone for what they believe also isn't right.  

In fact that kind of behavior led to IDW almost to ruin and have lost several licenses for that, on the other hand is not the first time that Tracy's has such comments for example he made rather horrendous comments about the police.

Sega is known for not supporting things that makes them lose money if people start complaining could lead to IDW to lose the license and or comic be canceled at once.

1 hour ago, Mr. Armstrong said:

In fact that kind of behavior led to IDW almost to ruin and have lost several licenses for that, on the other hand is not the first time that Tracy's has such comments for example he made rather horrendous comments about the police.

Sega is known for not supporting things that makes them lose money if people start complaining could lead to IDW to lose the license and or comic be canceled at once.

People aren't gonna complain because comic's gaters are trash people and most people don't care that they exist, and Ian said as much. And he's not wrong. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

10 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

People aren't gonna complain because comic's gaters are trash people and most people don't care that they exist, and Ian said as much. And he's not wrong. 

You know all those people in that movement to say that they are trash so I'm going to believe what people say about Sonic fandom that they are animal rapists or another horrible thing that some people say about the sonic fandom.

When you have a job people are not going to hear about politics, people simply want a good product or service.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Mr. Armstrong said:

You know all those people in that movement to say that they are trash so I'm going to believe what people say about Sonic fandom that they are animal rapists or another horrible thing that some people say about the sonic fandom.

If they supporting Comicsgate or a lot of things ending in gate nowadays, they trash people

Just now, Mr. Armstrong said:

When you have a job people are not going to hear about politics, people simply want a good product or service.

He does do that. He also said comics gate is trash on his twitter, which isn't his job. And he can say that, and he isn't wrong. He provided the service, he's just also saying that the trash people, are infarct trash people. Also if sega lets him write something like that in the comic, it would also be fine because that would still be his job. 

I don't know how you can have this opinion when most of that mediums most well known heroes are active living political statements, but I guess lacking introspection and perspective is how you end up stanning for comics gate in the first place

• Thumbs Up 1

If they supporting Comicsgate or a lot of things ending in gate nowadays, they trash people

So everything that people say about the sonic fandom is true?

He does do that. He also said comics gate is trash on his twitter, which isn't his job. And he can say that, and he isn't wrong. He provided the service, he's just also saying that the trash people, are infarct trash people. Also if sega lets him write something like that in the comic, it would also be fine because that would still be his job. 

I don't know how you can have this opinion when most of that mediums most well known heroes are active living political statements, but I guess lacking introspection and perspective is how you end up stanning for comics gate in the first place

When you have a Twitter account and you associate it with your work that makes you a representative of the company where you work, when you have a company you have all kinds of people if you make feel some percentage of those people attacked you will lose money it's for that reason that IDW is bleeding money.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Mr. Armstrong said:

...no? We’re talking about comicsgaters.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Mr. Armstrong said:

No. 

People saying Comics Gate folk are trash people is true though because the core that movement is based in bigotry.

Sonic a blue hedgehog what go fast

1 minute ago, Mr. Armstrong said:

When you have a Twitter account and you associate it with your work that makes you a representative of the company where you work, when you have a company you have all kinds of people if you make feel some percentage of those people attacked you will lose money it's for that reason that IDW is bleeding money.

You fucking delusional if you think IDW is loosing any money over comics gate. A company who's primary mode of funding seems to be adapting brands for teens and children into comic books for teens and children. 

I mean comics gate folks are delusional already because they have tricked themselves into believing they are a sizable chunk of the market and don't understand how market evolution works. But you have to be particularly delusional to believe that

• Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

No. 

People saying Comics Gate folk are trash people is true though because the core that movement is based in bigotry.

Sonic a blue hedgehog what go fast 

If you say that all the people associated with something are trash then I have to believe the horrible things that some people say about the sonic fandom, you know guilty by association.

27 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

You fucking delusional if you think IDW is loosing any money over comics gate. A company who's primary mode of funding seems to be adapting brands for teens and children into comic books for teens and children. 

I mean comics gate folks are delusional already because they have tricked themselves into believing they are a sizable chunk of the market and don't understand how market evolution works. But you have to be particularly delusional to believe that 

He never mentions that IDW is losing money on comicsgate, but if it is a fact that IDW is a bad economic situation right now.

2 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Since ya'll goin on bout it, what is Comicsgate?

To put it simply

Largely folks who are upset more representation is is happening in comic books and there are a bunch of outspoken liberal people working on comics. And are upset about that, and bother people about it on the internet. 

This is why Ianflynn said they were trash people. That's the core of the idea. 

They have also convinced themselves that they are the core audience and not appealing to them means lost sales. Instead of , comics are not as big as they used to be/due to publishing company I think its called Diamond Printing or Publishing, that has a chokehold on the entire industry , most comic sales happen digitally or in trades. 

you can see how one feeds into other

• Thumbs Up 1

• The topic was locked

Enough of the comicsgate shit, it doesn't belong here. I'm temp locking this topic to steer the conversation away from it.

EDIT: While I generally don't care if it's brought up, it obviously can't be handled with anything resembling civility (such is the nature of these sorts of movements, I suppose).  I also want to point out that responses like this:

1 hour ago, Mr. Armstrong said:

aren't at all appropriate just because you don't have an actual defense on the matter.

I also don't really approve of the repeated "you trash" comments (some of which I removed) because that's just adding fuel to the fire.

If this is going to be brought up, I ask for it to be done without the attacks or whataboutisms. Otherwise, I'd prefer it if the topic steered as far away as possible from it because I don't see the relevance beyond "the creative team said some things and here's a YouTube video complaining about it" and it brings a lot of unnecessary tension.

Stuff like this really doesn't deserve the attention it gets. Seriously.

Edited by Zaysho
  • Thumbs Up 7

• The topic was unlocked

So anywho IDW had a kids Panel today and the plot of the next arc is that Sonic is infected by a device that is slowly turning him to metal everytime he runs.

So that's pretty unique. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

2 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

So anywho IDW had a kids Panel today and the plot of the next arc is that Sonic is infected by a device that is slowly turning him to metal everytime he runs.

So that's pretty unique. 

Say *what?* 

9 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

So that's pretty unique. 

Oh wow...I’m genuinely intrigued.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

So that's pretty unique. 

Apparently it's the other way round; he has to run to stop it.

https://www.equestriadaily.com/2018/10/nycc-coverage-day-4-liveblog-of-making.html

• Thumbs Up 3

They had something similar in Sonic and the Tales of Deception, except with Nanobots as the vector instead of being still. 

• Thumbs Up 1