Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

1 minute ago, Marco9966 said:

Will we ever see Cream or SEGA forbids any appearance of Cream? She's Amy and Blaze's friend, it's a lost opportunity.

As far as we've heard, her absence is a decision by IDW. Same with Omega and Gemerl.

• Thumbs Up 2

26 minutes ago, Earnest-Panda said:

Dunno why people don’t like the art here since it looks like same old Yardley to me.

Yeah, while Blaze might look a little funny, everyone else looks fine for the most part.

3 hours ago, Razule said:

Seems pretty standard for Tracy Yardley.

Why is everyone dunking on Tracy all of the sudden? His art's just as good as it's ever been. 

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Why is everyone dunking on Tracy all of the sudden? His art's just as good as it's ever been. 

No it's just one person, as for me I just talked about who my favorite artists are.

4 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

No it's just one person, as for me I just talked about who my favorite artists are.

People have been talking about how he's "losing his touch" since the book began though.

Just now, SBR2 said:

People have been talking about how he's "losing his touch" since the book began though.

Yeah for the first issues, but then he started inking his pages himself starting issue 10 and it's been better.

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Yeah, while Blaze might look a little funny, everyone else looks fine for the most part.

they do not

They are litterally leaning to a side or drawn weird

2 hours ago, SBR2 said:

I was just saying the art seemed standard for him, not that it was bad.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

they do not

They are litterally leaning to a side or drawn weird

Eh, I don't know...it kinda seems like it might be the intent. Though I will say that I don't quite get the splash page looking that way.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Eh, I don't know...it kinda seems like it might be the intent. Though I will say that I don't quite get the splash page looking that way.

I don't think so at all

That's not perspective, that's someone drawing and didn't flip the image in paint tool sai so their imageis actually leaning.

There's a way to do perspective where it doesn't look like that, and that is not it.

2 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

I don't think so at all

That's not perspective, that's someone drawing and didn't flip the image in paint tool sai so their imageis actually leaning.

There's a way to do perspective where it doesn't look like that, and that is not it.

Yeah, it's always advised for artists to flip their page to edit errors.

My current problems with this arc (If Flynn could see this to improve his next arcs it would be good)

BAD!

-Why is Flynn copying SEGA's bad writing when it comes to Shadow disappearing then reappearing? I feel like "I'm here for my own reasons" is just a jab at Sonic Forces because its false marketing said the same thing about Shadow before we knew it's a clone.

-Neo turned into a dragon, why? In Heroes Froggy and Chao have Chaos data, but here in the comics why whould Shadow be the one to turn him into a dragon?

-Too many characters: Not every story needs the entire resistance, some characters got no line at all (Charmy, Espio), we need less characters per arc (like Sonic MEGA DRIVE which was delightful, or many Sonic Universe arcs)

-I don't need any more game remakes: I already know that they will beat Master Overlord. Also why bring him when we had Super Neo Metal Sonic. We're surprised once, not twice.

-There's no worldbuilding, no worldbuilding only works in humor comic strips.

-Tangle is uninteresting and I don't see why I should care for her, unlike Whisper who is much more interesting because of her mysterious hatred to Eggman and Shadow.

GOOD:

-Characters have good personalization and interactions

-There is suspens which makes want to see more with Mr. Tinker and Whisper.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

5 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

My current problems with this arc (If Flynn could see this to improve his next arcs it would be good)

BAD!

-Too many characters: Not every story needs the entire resistance, some characters got no line at all (Charmy, Espio), we need less characters per arc (like Sonic MEGA DRIVE which was delightful, or many Sonic Universe arcs)

-I don't need any more game remakes: I already know that they will beat Master Overlord. Also why bring him when we had Super Neo Metal Sonic. We're surprised once, not twice.

-There's no worldbuilding, no worldbuilding only works in humor comic strips.

-Tangle is uninteresting and I don't see why I should care for he, unlike Whisper who is much more interesting because of her mysterious hatred to Eggman and Shadow.

GOOD:

-Characters have good personalization and interactions

-There is suspens which makes want to see more with Mr. Tinker and Whisper.

Essentially, minus maybe the game remake thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would argue tangle is fun in the sense that she's just... super down for everything, I can't speak for kids but I feel like they might appreciate having her around given she's basically supposed to be them.

As for the resistance, I do think the good thing about that is. They firmly established that this isn't the resistance, the resistance is Knuckles, amy and tails and a bunch of soilders. The chaottix and Team Dark are favors that were called in like blaze. It doesn't seem like much , but its nice to know what the team dynamic is.

I do agree there are a bit too many dudes around, and I don't know how I feel about game remakes, but i'm interested to see where its going

6 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

I would argue tangle is fun in the sense that she's just... super down for everything, I can't speak for kids but I feel like they might appreciate having her around given she's basically supposed to be them.

That's exactly what they're almost certainly trying to do with her.

The problem, outside from prerelease fluff, is that her introduction is more or less the point where the other oddities/issues with the book started cropping up.

• Thumbs Up 1

I enjoy Tangle myself, though I did enjoy her more in issue 4 compared to the current arc where I feel like skipping over her meeting the other characters was a missed opportunity to build her character and present everyone's relationships to each other and not just Sonic. That said, I think the wealth of characters in general in this arc are suffering from the Sonic focus and four issue format. I get that stretching this arc out too long though would also be a drag and I almost wonder if a more Quentin Tarantino-esque approach of jumping back and forth in time to highlight the different characters and how Sonic got to his fight with Master Overlord would have worked better as a single year one plot. Of course that might still have been too much and I don't know if Ian Flynn could have pulled that off favorably. Even then though, I'm mostly enjoying Year One even if I find the climax a little watered down and unengaging so far.

• Thumbs Up 1

Tangle would have worked better if they had used her position as the naive newbie to introduce these characters. That's where I thought they were going with this, but she gets tossed to the side relatively early in the arc and is subjected to fun background interactions with the other characters. I think things would flow a lot better if Tangle was with us from the start and we got more of her perspective taking in all these weirdos, their relationships, histories, what they can do, that kind of thing. 

This arc as a whole has been fun on an issue by issue level but lacking in overall focus. I didn't like issue 10 despite liking every other issue so far. It seemed like despite how scatterbrained this arc was each individual issue had a focal point. Sonic and Amy's strained relationship. Sonic and Shadow's strained relationship. Whisper's hesitation around others and how it clashed with Silver being a bit overeager and socially awkward. Sonic and Metal Sonic's rivalry.   Now this is trying to bring all these disparate ideas together and show what the point of the arc was...only to kind of prove there wasn't one, lol. 

Still, I'm having fun. The next arc probably won't feel as slapped together with more room between issues to breathe. 

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Fist Bump 1

Looking at like that @Wraith, it almost sounds like the arc is kind of like a kaleidoscope that wasn't built with a pattern in mind but more just all of the elements and a desperate dash to cram it all in before time was up. Still, with a little imagination and twist here or there, there is definitely plenty to be entertained by. Hopefully though Year Two will definitely have a better flow now that the introductions and Forces follow up is coming to a close.

1 hour ago, Marco9966 said:

-Neo turned into a dragon, why? In Heroes Froggy and Chao have Chaos data, but here in the comics why whould Shadow be the one to turn him into a dragon? 

It's almost like his prototype was some kind of giant lizard or whatever.

More seriously, I think it's mostly that he was the "missing piece" or something like that.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Kazhnuz said:

It's almost like his prototype was some kind of giant lizard or whatever.

More seriously, I think it's mostly that he was the "missing piece" or something like that.

Or he has Devil Doom (a flying alien) blood

47 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Sonic and Amy's strained relationship. 

Hold on there. Since when did Sonic and Amy have a strained relationship in the comic?