Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

That's exactly what they're almost certainly trying to do with her.

The problem, outside from prerelease fluff, is that her introduction is more or less the point where the other oddities/issues with the book started cropping up.

May I ask what you mean?

25 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

May I ask what you mean?

Remember that talk about the lack of worldbuilding extending to even naming things a few pages back?

That village that Blaze's issue takes place at is stated to be Tangle's hometown and yet we're never given a name for it.

There's also debatably the fact that the formula of "Sonic meets co-star and occasional guest character, talks about shit, fights badniks" was starting to get old, which wasn't helped by how oddly eh the threat was that time.

Oh, and while YMMV, I didn't really see room for much of a feel for her actual character in that issue.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Hold on there. Since when did Sonic and Amy have a strained relationship in the comic?

Strained is kind of a strong word, so I apologize. There's just a little bit of friction between them that the comic played with and I liked it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

44 minutes ago, Kazhnuz said:

It's almost like his prototype was some kind of giant lizard or whatever.

More seriously, I think it's mostly that he was the "missing piece" or something like that.

The missing piece was Shadow's data, but to access his Overlord form, Metal also needs Sonic's and Chaos's data. (Metal/Master Overlord looks dragon-like because it's basically a bastardized Perfect Chaos) And since the Master Emerald's what gave Chaos his powers and also serves as his home, it's a much better way to copy him than another member of his species and a frog with his DNA.

I think what they were going for with Shadow's belief that he couldn't transform was that Eggman disabled that along with his disobedience after Heroes. But since Eggman himself gave Metal Sonic his Neo form back, (Which is the source of his shapeshifting, thanks to Chaos) he's got everything he needs.

Something I'm curious about, though- Has Shadow ever previously been able to drain Chaos energy out of other beings, like with his Spear against Super Neo? It makes sense for him, but has it ever been a thing before?

3 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Hold on there. Since when did Sonic and Amy have a strained relationship in the comic?

There was that time Sonic didn't want to rejoin the Resistance...and that's it. They didn't even really fight about it.

• Thumbs Up 1

So far we only saw the faraway places or temporary adventure places like some nameless towns, Angel Island, Eggman's bases.

But we need one town so we get more familiar with the universe, a place for the characters to hang out when there's no danger or war planning. Like Knothole in Archie or Station Square in Sonic X or the village in Sonic Boom!

Tangle's town is perfect for that and Flynn might give it a name.

3 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

So far we only saw the faraway places or temporary adventure places like some nameless towns, Angel Island, Eggman's bases.

But we need one town so we get more familiar with the universe, a place for the characters to hang out when there's no danger or war planning. Like Knothole in Archie or Station Square in Sonic X or the village in Sonic Boom!

Tangle's town is perfect for that and Flynn might give it a name.

Or meet up at, anyway.

I disagree with the need of a "hometown" for characters. It doesn't really help to become "more familiar" with the universe. The character can meet up and interact in a whole number of locations (and it's more interesting to make them have some small adventure together instead of just hanging in a city. It's nice in Sonic Boom or in stuff like Sonic X, but not everything have to be like that).

Sonic as a character is often showed in the game as running somewhere, discovering new places, etc. It's in the character to drift of in the entire world. TBH, I recall that the use of a "base location" was something that was criticized a lot in many incarnation of the comic-book, because it anchored too much the character.

I think that some arcs like "Wave of Change" or "Champions" would be better than hanging out in the "hometown", to be "fillers" between big arcs and to develop characters.

A small cast of character come in a place that have a problem and they have to solve (Flynn could add some preparation of future arcs, as he loves to do xD). They discover some characters that might be one-shot or appear again, and the place have some interest on its own. (And I'll give Flynn more point if he made one again reference to some obscure cultural things (when I saw Meropis, I was so happy at the reference xD Especially because it was a reference to something that parody Plato and I like everything that mock Plato xD), because it can be nice easter eggs).

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Wraith said:

Tangle would have worked better if they had used her position as the naive newbie to introduce these characters. That's where I thought they were going with this, but she gets tossed to the side relatively early in the arc and is subjected to fun background interactions with the other characters. I think things would flow a lot better if Tangle was with us from the start and we got more of her perspective taking in all these weirdos, their relationships, histories, what they can do, that kind of thing. 

This arc as a whole has been fun on an issue by issue level but lacking in overall focus. I didn't like issue 10 despite liking every other issue so far. It seemed like despite how scatterbrained this arc was each individual issue had a focal point. Sonic and Amy's strained relationship. Sonic and Shadow's strained relationship. Whisper's hesitation around others and how it clashed with Silver being a bit overeager and socially awkward. Sonic and Metal Sonic's rivalry.   Now this is trying to bring all these disparate ideas together and show what the point of the arc was...only to kind of prove there wasn't one, lol. 

Still, I'm having fun. The next arc probably won't feel as slapped together with more room between issues to breathe. 

Having a new character give perspective on some of these characters would have been interesting sure, but I don't know if sega allow that to be written in a way that's like...interesting. Boom was a weird thing that allowed for dunking on characters because that was its thing.

In this book it seems to want to make everyone look generally good and not question anyone really , despicably sonic. The only issue that fails at this is issue 6 because its trying to make everyoen look good, but fails because they can't actually have shadow question sonic's morality so they give up in the end. 

Basically what i'm saying is that It would be a lot of fluff peices, and i'm like I would like to see the perspective of the world from characers who are allowed to not like some of the chraracters

9 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Remember that talk about the lack of worldbuilding extending to even naming things a few pages back?

That village that Blaze's issue takes place at is stated to be Tangle's hometown and yet we're never given a name for it.

There's also debatably the fact that the formula of "Sonic meets co-star and occasional guest character, talks about shit, fights badniks" was starting to get old, which wasn't helped by how oddly eh the threat was that time.

Oh, and while YMMV, I didn't really see room for much of a feel for her actual character in that issue.

I can understand and agree with some of these complaints.

9 hours ago, Forte-Metallix said:

Something I'm curious about, though- Has Shadow ever previously been able to drain Chaos energy out of other beings, like with his Spear against Super Neo? It makes sense for him, but has it ever been a thing before?

IIRC Shadow himself has never done this. That said the ability to absorb energy from other beings was already introduced and was the goal of the black arms with the planet itself so. Its not out of the question, I just don't think it ever happened before

12 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

IIRC Shadow himself has never done this. That said the ability to absorb energy from other beings was already introduced and was the goal of the black arms with the planet itself so. Its not out of the question, I just don't think it ever happened before

And Eggman and subsequently Zavok.

13 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

In this book it seems to want to make everyone look generally good and not question anyone really , despicably sonic.

Despicably?

6 hours ago, Kazhnuz said:

I disagree with the need of a "hometown" for characters. It doesn't really help to become "more familiar" with the universe. The character can meet up and interact in a whole number of locations (and it's more interesting to make them have some small adventure together instead of just hanging in a city. It's nice in Sonic Boom or in stuff like Sonic X, but not everything have to be like that).

Sonic as a character is often showed in the game as running somewhere, discovering new places, etc. It's in the character to drift of in the entire world. TBH, I recall that the use of a "base location" was something that was criticized a lot in many incarnation of the comic-book, because it anchored too much the character.

It's funny to me how everyone hated Sonic being tied to a single place and a team but now want him tied down to a place and a team. 

9 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

It's funny to me how everyone hated Sonic being tied to a single place and a team but now want him tied down to a place and a team. 

I don't think anyone wants that. Or at least a lot of people, most of the people complaining about the comic are enthusiast boars like these and even then a lot of us aren't advocating for anything like that. Just want a city or town to be named one time.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Is there particular reason why some of you tend to think/view things in extremes?

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

I think Wisp Works would been a good name for the Town in Issue 3.

But then that leaves the question if the Wispons and Resistance will continue to be a thing once this arc is over.

33 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Is there particular reason why some of you tend to think/view things in extremes?

Because the general fandom has a bad habit of operating in extremes. It’s practically expected at this point.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

1 hour ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

Because the general fandom has a bad habit of operating in extremes. It’s practically expected at this point.

Fitting as that's how Sonic game development works too XD

1 hour ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

Like this?

https://www.deviantart.com/nintrendodude/journal/Ian-Flynn-Reveals-his-Hand-on-The-Freedom-fighters-774080848

=P

15 minutes ago, RaginRonic said:

...Seriously?

Went ahead and left a few comments since I seem to be signed in already.

How much you wanna bet some of that is coming form the same people who claimed he had a bias for Sally?

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeesh, I noticed the little exchange on twitter, but that blurb just takes it up a notch.

The writer's obviously on Ken's fence, and that makes me afraid to find out what his frame of reference for the lawsuit that condemned Archie in the first place is.

and all these people reading "dripping" sarcasm into Ian's "I'm sorry that you feel that way" as if sarcasm is something people historically gauge accurately on the internet. I mean what can you logically expect the man to say to a loaded question like that without risking his job.

"I'm sorry you feel that way."

IAN FLYNN REVEALS HIS TRUE COLORS! 

ILLUMINATI CONFIRMED!

HOW MUCH DOES IAN FLYNN HATE THE FREEDOM FIGHTERS AND THE BESTEST FUR-WAIFU EVER, SALLY ACORN? FIND OUT IN THIS CONSPIRACY VIDEO! REASON NUMBER 6 WILL SURPRISE YOU!

That ridiculous shit right there is the real Dark Web. 

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Chuckle 3

Obviously Flynn is twirling his mustache and laughing maniacally at being the downfall of the Freedom Fighters. The publishers have no power over some writer they pay to write for them as well as follow guidelines. Nope...he's the evil mastermind.

• Absolutely 2

1 hour ago, TAILS FOR SMASH ULTIMATE said:

Obviously Flynn is twirling his mustache and laughing maniacally at being the downfall of the Freedom Fighters. The publishers have no power over some writer they pay to write for them as well as follow guidelines. Nope...he's the evil mastermind.

He's literally tied Sally and the Freedom Fighters to the train tracks and loaded the front of the train with copious amounts of TNT.

He's the Bowler Hat guy from Meet the Robinsons.

Snively Flynn Whiplash even.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 2