Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

I never really liked Ian Flynn's attitude explicitly after that time he said "no one wants that" when I ask him a question about Amy.

TBH, as it comes from his hatedom, none of this is actually surprising. It's basically their motto to that point. Even if the FF re-appear, they'll take every changes as a proof that Flynn hates the american continuity (like they did with the Mecha-Sally arc, or the redesgin of the FF post-SGW). That's why I don't think their blogpost are really interesting to talk about for so long, because we can't really say anything except that a writer doesn't have that kind of power.

About the FF, this tweet (from Flynn) is more interesting :

Basically, either we are still in some kind of limbo of "we don't know", either we got a "no" but Flynn doesn't have the right to say that. Yep, the situation didn't change since the beggining (it could be simply because SEGA doesn't want to answer that question yet)

• Thumbs Up 4

6 minutes ago, Kazhnuz said:

TBH, as it comes from his hatedom, none of this is actually surprising. It's basically their motto to that point. Even if the FF re-appear, they'll take every changes as a proof that Flynn hates the american continuity (like they did with the Mecha-Sally arc, or the redesgin of the FF post-SGW). That's why I don't think their blogpost are really interesting to talk about for so long, because we can't really say anything except that a writer doesn't have that kind of power.

About the FF, this tweet (from Flynn) is more interesting :

Basically, either we are still in some kind of limbo of "we don't know", either we got a "no" but Flynn doesn't have the right to say that. Yep, the situation didn't change since the beggining (it could be simply because SEGA doesn't want to answer that question yet)

I brought that aspect up when I commented on Deviantart. 

*shrugs* I couldn't take that pair of tweets seriously given their proximity to all the drama, so I took his answer with about as much salt as the question. xD

Nintrendodude always hated Ian and is well known for changing facts to fit his "truth" (read : lies) and paint Ian as the evil. 

He also calimed numerous times that he only does that because if he quit, his "friends" would mock him. He's a troll who hides behind his autism.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Adamis said:

Nintrendodude always hated Ian and is well known for changing facts to fit his "truth" (read : lies) and paint Ian as the evil. 

He also calimed numerous times that he only does that because if he quit, his "friends" would mock him. He's a troll who hides behind his autism.

He also has a Google doc which archives all Flynn's (bad) actions but it's just tssz comic solicitations and bumbllekast portfolio and screenshots of chats with the comic artists, which defend Flynn and also previous fanartists who worked with him who also defend him. 

6 hours ago, Celestia said:

Frankly even if he did not care at all about the FF (which I doubt) I wouldn't give a shit. He's not obligated to care about every single character in the franchise, and he's also clearly demonstrated many times over the years that he'll include characters regardless of how he feels about them.

Yeah, it's especially bizarre that this kind of situation would come up right after he just included something in the IDW book that he has stated multiple times he was never a fan of.

• Thumbs Up 4

9 minutes ago, DaddlerTheDalek said:

They view Flynn as some kind of evil Dictator of the Sonic comics, of course they would react that way.

They also post propaganda on twitter to buy Team Sonic Racing comic instead of issue 11, to attempt to replace Flynn.

Of course, we must buy Team Sonic Racing AND issue 11!

• Thumbs Up 1

56 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

They also post propaganda on twitter to buy Team Sonic Racing comic instead of issue 11, to attempt to replace Flynn.

It's the perfect plan - the only way to stop the IDW Sonic comic madness is to buy a different IDW Sonic comic!  There's no way Sega could misunderstand this simple message!

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 1

10 minutes ago, FFWF said:

It's the perfect plan - the only way to stop the IDW Sonic comic madness is to buy a different IDW Sonic comic!  There's no way Sega could misunderstand this simple message!

What they’re trying to do is show Sega/IDW that fans don’t want Flynn on the book anymore, since TSR has a different writer.

But anyway, I thought there was a rule against discussing certain fans and their grievences?

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Earnest-Panda said:

What they’re trying to do is show Sega/IDW that fans don’t want Flynn on the book anymore, since TSR has a different writer.

not fans, one person who dont want Flynn

• Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, Celestia said:

Frankly even if he did not care at all about the FF (which I doubt) I wouldn't give a shit. He's not obligated to care about every single character in the franchise, and he's also clearly demonstrated many times over the years that he'll include characters regardless of how he feels about them.

Except for the rogues.

To be fair, if you like the rogues you been up shits creek.

But generally you are correct. He's not obligated to care about every single character, but as of currently he's kind of obligated to care about the game cast, that seems to be this comic's focus. And that makes sense as a  thing sega wants to focus on, instead of characters from a part of the franchise that is not relevant to their product right now and... .hasn't been for quite some time. I feel like these people sitting down to think about why this is happening and realize sega wants to do something different and who this comic is for. While they might be disappointing , at least they will have some closure.

8 hours ago, Zaysho said:

I really wish people would stop acting like Ian actually has final say in the use of those characters. People need to take off the tinfoil hats and go glare at Sega for a change.

I guess they either only think Ian has control, or they think he's the only they can convince? Or maybe aren't even thinking about sega in this context?

They might legit think the comic is its own thing, and that's....really stupid. But they might think that.

13 hours ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

Because the general fandom has a bad habit of operating in extremes. It’s practically expected at this point.

Exactly. I need to stop assuming everyone in the fandom thinks like that but it's hard when so many do.

This tweet is interesting.

Apparently this issue has a big reveal.

Spoiler

Who wants to guess it's just Eggman returning?

• Thumbs Up 1

I’m going under that assumption considering the IDW team’s idea of “an obscure villain from the past” ultimately turned out to be something literally everyone saw coming.

Would love to be surprised though.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Exactly. I need to stop assuming everyone in the fandom thinks like that but it's hard when so many do.

That’s not even getting into the amount of petty spite they like to be towards one another for very little reason.

At this point, it’s the standard bad behavior of the fandom.

• Thumbs Up 2

I am a little lost here and trying to figure whats going on. But WHY are people bringing up the FF again appearing in this new comic. I thought we had finally come to terms they are not coming/moved on from the issue and suddenly im seeing talk of them again?

An original cell from SatAM surfaced on ebay, and Ohshima took the opportunity to mention one he has himself.

Some people asked his opinion of the show and when he said he liked it they twisted that around on Ian : "See! Ohshima likes SatAM, ergo Sega likes

SatAM!" and all the mandates and brand management barring the FF must be baloney, or some such.

• Thumbs Up 2

59 minutes ago, Cuz said:

An original cell from SatAM surfaced on ebay, and Ohshima took the opportunity to mention one he has himself.

Some people asked his opinion of the show and when he said he liked it they twisted that around on Ian : "See! Ohshima likes SatAM, ergo Sega likes SatAM!" and all the mandates and brand management barring the FF must be baloney, or some such.

Oh sonic fandom. XD you never cease to amaze haha. But honestly just cause he said that I have no idea how anyone could spin it that way

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Meh, this canon isn't old enough for any reveal to be that awesome. 

I admit I wonder what they could reveal in such an issue. I mean, I don't really see what they could reveal, especially something that they have kept secret, as David Mariotte says. I mean, I really don't see what that could be.

Spoiler

Maybe it's Nega ? Maybe that finally Metal Sonic wasn't the mastermind of all this ? I really don't see what it could be. Another possibility I see is that it would be something a bit "meta", by that not really a scenarist reveal, but an element that we didn't see coming and that they have kept secret to us. But then again, it would be a bit strange. I think that it's supposed to be something about next arc (so the mysterious "doc"), but I really don't know.

Well, wait and see, I suppose.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Reveal hidden contents

So we're finally getting Mama Robotnik.