Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Since team Sonic Racing is also IDW, you'll wanna check out the PREVIEWS in the TSR topic:

In my opinion, the writing here (not by Flynn) is not very exciting, it just shows how good Ian Flynn's writing is if we compare.

(it's like an illustrated "how-to-play" if you ask me)

• Thumbs Up 1

TBH, except the "manual-y" aspect (that we can't really know if it's related to the author or to higher levels), I think it's pretty good. Characters are pretty well understood by the author, he seems to understand that Omega is the best character, so it's cool for me. It looks like it'll be fun stuff when the "explaination" parts will be over. For the moment, I don't see the "it's in another world" aspect mentioned in the preview, and I like the "excentric billionaire" approach of Dodonpa.

Honestly it looks like a good amount of fun, if they don't take too much space for the explainations.

I would prefer to see this author on a projet related to the main universe to see more of his style, though. Maybe that could be a good way to start a second comic-book xD. 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Kazhnuz said:

TBH, except the "manual-y" aspect (that we can't really know if it's related to the author or to higher levels), I think it's pretty good. Characters are pretty well understood by the author, he seems to understand that Omega is the best character, so it's cool for me. It looks like it'll be fun stuff when the "explaination" parts will be over. For the moment, I don't see the "it's in another world" aspect mentioned in the preview, and I like the "excentric billionaire" approach of Dodonpa.

Honestly it looks like a good amount of fun, if they don't take too much space for the explainations.

I would prefer to see this author on a projet related to the main universe to see more of his style, though. Maybe that could be a good way to start a second comic-book xD. 

We'll wait and see for the full book then. But it could be less formal.

10 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

We'll wait and see for the full book then. But it could be less formal.

Could it or not ? We don't know at which point. Especially when the first work on a author on something isn't often the one where a can the most make it like he want. It might also be that he have to much that he was forced to explain, for instance. Writing is often more complicated than "he just have to make something better". Especially that kind of tie-in (I remember the tie-in to Transformed being pretty bland and uninteresting too), when there are a lot of demands. Maybe they've got a lot of liberty, maybe not at all.

And because it could be better, it doesn't mean that jumping to play the same game of "inventing a competition between author" game that some already are trying to play is a good idea, in my opinion. Criticizing the final product though, I haven't any problem with that.

2 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

Since team Sonic Racing is also IDW, you'll wanna check out the PREVIEWS in the TSR topic:

In my opinion, the writing here (not by Flynn) is not very exciting, it just shows how good Ian Flynn's writing is if we compare.

(it's like an illustrated "how-to-play" if you ask me)

It is bizzare just how expository and for a lack of a more tactful word, unnatural it feels.

1 hour ago, Kazhnuz said:

Characters are pretty well understood by the author, he seems to understand that Omega is the best character, so it's cool for me.

K'yeh. :lol: 

I like the "excentric billionaire" approach of Dodonpa.

Uh, unfortunately, they seem to be mostly hinting at him not being true.

Agreed, if he can tone down/avoid the dissertation involved here.

2 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

New previews pages, I'm starting to feel Archie post-SGW-level excitment again

Hide contents

PDFtoJPG.me-6-74.jpg

PDFtoJPG.me-7-62.jpg

That is a relatively cool scene, but for some reason, Metal's face made me think of one of those memey comic excerpts.

"Master Over-blown" Oh my....

Also, did Evan Stanley take over for a panel there or something?

4 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Also, did Evan Stanley take over for a panel there or something?

Where...? It all looks like Tracey to me.

Evan might be contributing to this issue since she was the one who mentioned the reveal she's excited for everyone to see. 

This issue is looking fun. I've been digging this arc so far though.

Well.

Spoiler

At least it's not fucking Nega.

Hopefully this guy's just here to zap Eggman's memories back or something.

• Thumbs Up 1

Spoiler

Anyone got the feeling that given the glove design, he works through hypnosis and will hypnotise Eggman back to normal? 

• Thumbs Up 2

Spoiler

Screenshot_2018-11-27-19-40-08.thumb.png.5dce49bacd9848575a9735293dd0a6bd.png

Spoiler

This guy doesn't seem the one and done type. Interesting. I hope he appears as a reccuring villain cuz I kinda dig his design and early personality. He seems like more of a psycho than Eggman.

• Thumbs Up 2

Okay, so here's my thought on the reveal.

Spoiler

Did a quick Google of his name and he is indeed completely new, unless he is reference/immigrant.

He's some sort of bird, likely aquatic--that much is obvious. And platypus is out, which is also distinguishable as a marsupial.

Also, given his claim that he's made a career studying Eggman, I think it's safe to assume he's actually from the future.

40 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Well.

Hide contents

At least it's not fucking Nega.

Hopefully this guy's just here to zap Eggman's memories back or something.

The most recent solicit implied there are two villains behind this, one new and one old.

36 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:
  Hide contents

Anyone got the feeling that given the glove design, he works through hypnosis and will hypnotise Eggman back to normal? 

Given the conspicuousness and asymmetry of it, that seems definite.

1 hour ago, JosepHenry said:
  Hide contents

Screenshot_2018-11-27-19-40-08.thumb.png.5dce49bacd9848575a9735293dd0a6bd.png

Hide contents

This guy doesn't seem the one and done type. Interesting. I hope he appears as a reccuring villain cuz I kinda dig his design and early personality. He seems like more of a psycho than Eggman.

Yeah, that would be fun

Spoiler

So WILL HE be then villain that meets Sonic for the first time in issue 14?

I really like this reveal.

Spoiler

First, his design and the first look of his personallity show really great promises. He give me some king of Finitevus-y vibes (not that I think he will be like Finitevus, it's just the vibes this new guys give me). And I'm happy if he will be the new boss of the two shunks bros.

I'm really happy that we are getting a new villiain. As I often says, we need more villains, and he have pretty good potential. I think he'll be a recurring one, especially as he is named and that named characters aren't many in this new comic-book.

I think that the "he is from the future" theory is pretty interesting, what also can be pretty interesting if he is actually the cause of the new future of Silver, not Neo Metal Sonic. It would solve what I thought was pretty strange about the future of Silver (that it didn't fit at all with NMS goals).

So he have the potential to be at least a pretty fun antagonist, or to become a really good one. I'm pretty excited.

• Thumbs Up 5

I rather liked this issue, nothing spectacular, but there was enough action, story juice and hooks to keep us interested. But no doubt fans will find something to complain about in this thread, it's their taste and they can keep it, but can I say this thread is particularly invaded by complaints?

Sure, it's impossible to be 100% happy about something, but if you don't like this more than decent writing, I doubt you guys will ever like any Sonic writing. Just saying. It's the best Sonic around. That said... Here are my opinions about the issue:

Spoiler

I like the new character, he seems intriguing, definitely more than Nega, although I kind of wanted him so Blaze could be key in the next storyline. But still, interesting new character, plus we always wanted a villain not related to the Eggman Empire as that was one of the complaints post-reboot, so he kinda fits, although he wants to work with him. Still, he's very interesting, but I prefer Whisper out of the new characters.

The writing sure was fine here, and Yardley surprised me, I'm impressed, definitely way better than his other work on IDW. Most characters had great moments like Silver, great expressions from Knux, the only one who I feel did nothing to contribute was Shadow... I mean, he caused the problem and wasn't key in defeating Metal. Kinda lame.

And can I just say I love this kick ass Amy? Awesome!

As for the pacing, really great and not forced longer, instead we got a 3 parter plus an epilogue that leads into the next year arc, really nice narrative decision, more adaptive and flexible writing by Flynn. Only negative thing is that we lacked a big dramatic and epic moment, it wasn't really that "wow!".

So it was nice but not amazing in the end, as you can see I don't blindly love the comic either, but I recognize it's the best Sonic media around, so I quite enjoy it!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

If you are a fan of shadow, this comic is kinda bad.

Guess it solidifies my theory that shadow might not have at least when Ian thought it up, in the first year of the comic.