Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

I mean I never expected to see her start throwing punches herself.

I was only disappointed Cheese never got a chance to develop into the badass unstoppable killing machine he's supposed to be. I need to see his origin story. IDW & SEGA please give us a mini-series about Cheese's years of Batman-tier training.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1

15 minutes ago, Celestia said:

I mean I never expected to see her start throwing punches herself.

Errr, well there's Battle apparently....

15 minutes ago, Celestia said:

I was only disappointed Cheese never got a chance to develop into the badass unstoppable killing machine he's supposed to be. I need to see his origin story. IDW & SEGA please give us a mini-series about Cheese's years of Batman-tier training.

Ch'yeah. :lol: 

18 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Errr, well there's Battle apparently....

From what I recall most (if not all?) of her attacks were Cheese, lol. XP

1 minute ago, Celestia said:

From what I recall most if not all of her attacks were Cheese, lol. XP

Hey at least she has a special attack in Sega Heroes. More than Tails who despite being a Legendary Rank has only support moves for everything he does.

11 minutes ago, Celestia said:

From what I recall most (if not all?) of her attacks were Cheese, lol. XP

Oh.

I mean, I was referring to how her story starts, but okay.

9 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

Hey at least she has a special attack in Sega Heroes. More than Tails who despite being a Legendary Rank has only support moves for everything he does.

Really now? That's....

What is it?

9 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Oh.

I mean, I was referring to how her story starts, but okay.

Really now? That's....

What is it?

She gets the regular chao attack as a default. A spin attack special. And a super Chao charge for attacks. So she gets 3 offensive moves.

Tails gets a default spin attack. But every single one of his specials are support moves. So yes. Cream is a more offensive style character in Sega Heroes than Tails is.

2 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

She gets the regular chao attack as a default. A spin attack special. And a super Chao charge for attacks. So she gets 3 offensive moves.

Tails gets a default spin attack. But every single one of his specials are support moves. So yes. Cream is a more offensive style character in Sega Heroes than Tails is.

Huh.

I suppose it makes some degree of sense if they're working with the Chao Tag vs Gadgetry themes, but the odds are still overly slanted. You'd think he'd also have a Tail whip or that Tornado move, for instance.

3 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Huh.

I suppose it makes some degree of sense if they're working with the Chao Tag vs Gadgetry themes, but the odds are still overly slanted. You'd think he'd also have a Tail whip or that Tornado move, for instance.

Never underestimate the power of the #FuckTails movement. There's an agenda I say. There's clearly some political agenda!
tenor.gif

9 hours ago, dbzfan7 said:

Never underestimate the power of the #FuckTails movement. There's an agenda I say. There's clearly some political agenda!
tenor.gif

I don't know while it is a little weird how he reacted to Chaos in Forces I think it's also important to remember canonically he didn't ever fight Chaos alone. He had Sonic and Knuckles backing him up and dealing with a Water God is a little bigger than just yet another Eggmobile variant.

2 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

I don't know while it is a little weird how he reacted to Chaos in Forces I think it's also important to remember canonically he didn't ever fight Chaos alone. He had Sonic and Knuckles backing him up and dealing with a Water God is a little bigger than just yet another Eggmobile variant.

Chaos 0 is nothing special. Heck Chaos isn't really all that special until he is Perfect Chaos. Not to mention he's been in far more immediate stressful situations than that. But there really isn't a need to go over this a bunch as it's beaten like a dead horse this point.

1 hour ago, SBR2 said:

Ah, so Cream in Sonic Advance 2, eh?

11 hours ago, dbzfan7 said:

tenor.gif

Uh, in the sense that they were seriously backpedaling after the way he was handled in Lost World, maybe?

1 hour ago, dbzfan7 said:

Chaos 0 is nothing special. Heck Chaos isn't really all that special until he is Perfect Chaos. Not to mention he's been in far more immediate stressful situations than that. But there really isn't a need to go over this a bunch as it's beaten like a dead horse this point.

Eh, personally I wouldn't have minded it if he literally didn't shout "Sonic! Help me!" while presenting himself.

Just like in Lost World, the idea isn't bad--they just went too hard with the execution.

11 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Uh, in the sense that they were seriously backpedaling after the way he was handled in Lost World, maybe?

Eh, personally I wouldn't have minded it if he literally didn't shout "Sonic! Help me!" while presenting himself.

Just like in Lost World, the idea isn't bad--they just went too hard with the execution.

The movement dictates he has to suck somehow XD. But people were annoyed. So be less annoying but still suck. Thus is the movement. *Nods*

I'd say it's bad no matter what honestly. Hell if I had to guess, Amy wasn't used because PC culture would destroy sega if they tried that XD

2 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

The movement dictates he has to suck somehow XD. But people were annoyed. So be less annoying but still suck. Thus is the movement. *Nods*

Hmph.

3 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

I'd say it's bad no matter what honestly. Hell if I had to guess, Amy wasn't used because PC culture would destroy sega if they tried that XD

She also has that now relatively legit hammer, though.

6 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Hmph.

She also has that now relatively legit hammer, though.

The hammer that's useless in pretty much everything outside of a gag 9 times out of 10 XD. But seriously I bet that probably is why they didn't use Amy. Because people would cry out fowl and what not in gender politics. Probably why when in Sonic Boom Shattered Crystal when she got kidnapped, they did it in a way where she comes off looking like a heroic female badass who got too cocky. Didn't take Lyric seriously til she made a mistake.

Tails is just made hyper incompetent by comparison to his past experiences. To such an embarrassing degree. I hate talking about this as there really is no one I see more battered and shat on in the series as of late. Everyone else I can find something redeemable except for him.

12 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

Probably why when in Sonic Boom Shattered Crystal when she got kidnapped, they did it in a way where she comes off looking like a heroic female badass who got too cocky. 

Wasn't that what Boom!Amy was supposed to be in the first place?

13 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

Tails is just made hyper incompetent by comparison to his past experiences. To such an embarrassing degree.

I suppose that's a competent assessment.

14 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

I hate talking about this as there really is no one I see more battered and shat on in the series as of late. Everyone else I can find something redeemable except for him.

Probably because the other characters haven't been involved that much, nevermind as reliably important as Tails generally is.

11 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

They didn't use Amy because Tails is Sonic's closest friend and thus the one who would be most affected by his supposed "death". There's no reason to start imagining some PC police force being responsible for decisions you don't like.

Well I mean she IS in love with him. It's not mutual but she being madly in love with him....and we basically had a similar scene in SA2 that went the opposite route. It coulda been her to be honest. At least then it's not completely spitting in the face of a character who already went through this and worse.

But I am pretty tired so maybe joking and bringing in PC stuff is a bit much. Still a really shit scene though 😅

10 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Wasn't that what Boom!Amy was supposed to be in the first place?

I suppose that's a competent assessment.

Probably because the other characters haven't been involved that much, nevermind as reliably important as Tails generally is.

Was it? Still can't figure her out if I tried. She's like many things, and nothing at the same time somehow......

Needed someone take the L. So why not who's taken the most L's in the modern times. *Shrug*

22 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

But seriously I bet that probably is why they didn't use Amy. Because people would cry out fowl and what not in gender politics. 

Well you seem like a charming fellow. 

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

Was it? 

In the original footage for Rise of Lyric, there was notably that one moment where the Team falls down into a part of the ruins and Amy is the only one to land relatively gracefully--ninja style.

28 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

Still can't figure her out if I tried. She's like many things, and nothing at the same time somehow......

Now, the actual show, despite people insisting on thinking in extremes, actually struck a relatively layered balancing act.

Compared to the game version, Boom!Amy was still relatively passionate with  a thing for Sonic, but was more outspoken in a productive way, would often emphasize team, relationship, & community building activities, and sometimes seemed to wanna keep said crush an awkward secret. This also came with the disadvantages of sometimes coming off as a preachy progressive type who thought she always knew better than everyone else, would occasionally champion herself as a real capable woman, and much like the game version, would get angry when people contradicted her and/or when other females would get a little too close to Sonic.

So, contrary to what some may think of her, she was decidedly NOT a typical dude-friendly, "badass" version of the character. If anything, she's girlier than game Amy ever was.

23 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

Needed someone take the L. So why not who's taken the most L's in the modern times. *Shrug*

Because they've gradually been trying to make her more tolerable, whether indirectly in the actual actually or via various different interpretations in other media.

...Or more likely, because they simply don't wanna use anyone else much.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

In the original footage for Rise of Lyric, there was notably that one moment where the Team falls down into a part of the ruins and Amy is the only one to land relatively gracefully--ninja style.

Now, the actual show, despite people insisting on thinking in extremes, actually struck a relatively layered balancing act.

Compared to the game version, Boom!Amy was still relatively passionate with  a thing for Sonic, but was more outspoken in a productive way, would often emphasize team, relationship, & community building activities, and sometimes seemed to wanna keep said crush an awkward secret. This also came with the disadvantages of sometimes coming off as a preachy progressive type who thought she always knew better than everyone else, would occasionally champion herself as a real capable woman, and much like the game version, would get angry when people contradicted her and/or when other females would get a little too close to Sonic.

So, contrary to what some may think of her, she was decidedly NOT a typical dude-friendly, "badass" version of the character. If anything, she's girlier than game Amy ever was.

Because they've gradually been trying to make her more tolerable, whether indirectly in the actual actually or via various different interpretations in other media.

...Or more likely, because they simply don't wanna use anyone else much.

Can't say much on the show. Stopped watching it a long while ago after hating pretty much everything about it. I do know however she was only portrayed as that supreme badass figure in Shattered Crystal only...probably because Amy getting kidnapped is tiring and they wanted to make it less...so? I guess.

I meant Tails there, not Amy. Tails has taken the most L's in this era. So much so to the point it really does make me wonder why, when they're pretty careful with everyone else when they take L's. I joke a lot that they really hate Tails or something, but sometimes I truly do wonder. I don't buy that personally, but the disconnect has me thrown all over the place.

Being scared isn't a bad thing. It's more compelling. The bravest of people are those who are scared but still act anyways. It's just as someone who has taken up a interest in writing/creating, I look for purpose in a lot of choices. How certain choices help a character, where it leads, etc. Like weak moments are not inherently a bad thing. But when they pile up so much and lead nowhere, it comes to a point where you wonder why even bother. Weak moments allow for things like redemption, growth, etc. But when a character is filled with so many weak moments and barely any strong moments...they look pathetic and more of a hindrance than a benefit. Characters need to have a natural course of moments where they fail, and triumph coming out stronger. Toddler Tails isn't doing anything for him or anyone.

• Thumbs Up 1

Because they've gradually been trying to make her more tolerable, whether indirectly in the actual actually or via various different interpretations in other media

I'll have to disagree with this Boom Amy isn't passionate or in love with Sonic when compared to modern Amy and by no means girlier in any why what so ever. 

They were definitely trying to make Amy more typical dude-friendly for the people that don't think she's "tolerable" I feel that's the only reason they put her in boom. 

2 hours ago, Fire-N-Space said:

I'll have to disagree with this Boom Amy isn't passionate or in love with Sonic when compared to modern Amy and by no means girlier in any why what so ever. 

She keeps a secret picture of him in her house and has written fanfiction about him.

Just because she's not literally chasing him doesn't mean her feelings about him are completely different from the other alternate universe versions of herself.

Well, except for maybe the Fleetway Version...(I've only read a few of those so I'm not as well versed in it).

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Sonictrainer said:

She keeps a secret picture of him in her house and has written fanfiction about him.

Just because she's not literally chasing him doesn't mean her feelings about him are completely different from the other alternate universe versions of herself.

Well, except for maybe the Fleetway Version...(I've only read a few of those so I'm not as well versed in it).

A show can say or imply something but if its not going to follow up then it just feels... wasted. You can see at the start of the series Amy tries to get Sonic's attention but later its only implied every now and then with Fire & Ice not even trying.  

58 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

A show can say or imply something but if its not going to follow up then it just feels... wasted.

It's only wasted if they were actually planning to do something with it. They just use it as a quick gag so it's obviously not meant to go anywhere even if they focus on it, who cares...

Probsly the only people acting like this is a problem in the first place.

• Thumbs Up 2