Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

19 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Sure, let's go with that.

It's a dynamic comic pose, dude. Just Frozen.

It's not really a good one, though. There are limits to squash and stretch.

• Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, kimplix said:

Du4A03HW0AAR6ik.jpg:large

That's actually a pretty cool cover, though seeing Eggman's silhouette really emphasizes to me how much I prefer his classic design's silhouette in comparison.

1 minute ago, Panda in a Pear Tree said:

Is there no solicit for it?

Got your back.

"The annual — which weighs in at 48 pages — features a sprawling crew of creators, including four newcomers to the property. James Kochalka (Johnny Boo), Cavan Scott (Star Wars Adventures), Jack Lawrence (Transformers: Lost Light), and Gigi Dutrieux will have their first Sonic work featured in the annual. Ian Flynn, Evan Stanley, Caleb Goellner, Jonathan Gray, Jennifer Hernandez, and Diana Skelly will return from other Sonic issues to contribute to the massive book.

Sonic The Hedgehog Annual 2019 will feature three covers, including one from Sonic franchise icon Yuji Uekawa, best known as the visionary behind the "modern" look of Sonic."

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, kimplix said:

Honestly it is no surprise to see a Sonic Annual being released for next year. IDW does a lot of them anyway

*pic*

Interesting that the comic characters are at the forefront compared to Tails, Amy, and Knuckles.

Not exactly a solicit but yeah; all we know is that there's multiple writers and artists which seems to imply multiple stories rather than one large one?

Also I'd love to see more covers from Uekawa in the future.

• Thumbs Up 4

2 minutes ago, kimplix said:

Sonic The Hedgehog Annual 2019 will feature three covers, including one from Sonic franchise icon Yuji Uekawa, best known as the visionary behind the "modern" look of Sonic."

Huh, that's cool.

What exactly is this? A collection of small new stories? It seems a new thing. at first I thought it would be a reprint but it seems something different.

It's great to see Uekawa love the new characters!!

“I am really happy to draw IDW’s original characters altogether with Sonic and his friends, as I had never imagined that I would draw these characters as official artwork,” Uekawa said in a release. “As with many IDW Sonic series fans, I personally love Tangle and Whisper, and I am very much looking forward to seeing their further adventures with Sonic, as well as seeing original characters in future issues!”

• Thumbs Up 4

6 minutes ago, I Love Sticks said:

What exactly is this? A collection of small new stories? It seems a new thing. at first I thought it would be a reprint but it seems something different.

Annuals are special double-sized issues that some books get. Typically released after, well, a year. They might do one each year but maybe not, kinda goes either way in my experience.

...Holy shit I just noticed Diana Skelly was among the artists?? That's awesome, I was really hoping she'd come back.

• Thumbs Up 4

Seeing Uekawa give his blessing to the comic through a cover featuring comic-exclusive characters in his style is amazeballs, Diana Skelly being back makes me SOOOOOOO freaking happy, and I'm very pumped to see what kind of stuff we'll get out of this. (Hopefully they'll release a new trade or something that contains the side books like the TSR tie-in and this.)

Also, more details on the individual stories courtesy of the Facebook group:

Hey Squad! 

We got some big (like 40 pages big!) news to share! March 2019, the Sonic the Hedgehog Annual 2019 is coming to all fine comic shops near you! 

We really wanted to give you all something special (why we saved the announcement for the holidays!) that celebrates your love and ours for Sonic! The Annual's going to have 5 stories by some beloved Sonic creators and some awesome comic book creators who're working on Sonic for the first time! We have a story about the Sonic Fan Club! We have a story about Tangle and Whisper and a brand-new character! We have a story about Rouge! We have a Sonic & Tails adventure! And a touching story featuring Blaze and Silver! 

This one's got a lot of heart and some of the most amazing art! 

VERY curious to see that Blaze and Silver story, given their confusing past connections in the franchise. Also another new guy!

• Thumbs Up 1

YUJI UEKAWA~!!!!!!

I knew he'd do something for the comics! At least a cover, and he did! So cool so cool SO COOL!! I really sure hope he works more on the comics sometime~ This is something that not even the Archie comics got, and it makes me ecstatic!

Ahem.

So, a bunch of small stories, from new writers and artists? And it's 48-page, so that makes me wonder... Perhaps I can check it out, should I scrounge up the extra money for my comic book store trip. The stories they're including do interest me!

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, kimplix said:

Honestly it is no surprise to see a Sonic Annual being released for next year. IDW does a lot of them anyway

Du4A03HW0AAR6ik.jpg:large

Failing books get extra material, right? 😛

Ok snark aside I'm excited for this it sounds like it'll be about 6 stories with 4 writers who haven't done Sonic work before. And these are some high quality folks...and James Kowchalka (not sure if I spelled that right at all) who has an...let's say off beat style. I've read his story in the first MMPR annual and his work might be a little off putting TBH.

2 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

It's great to see Uekawa love the new characters!!

“I am really happy to draw IDW’s original characters altogether with Sonic and his friends, as I had never imagined that I would draw these characters as official artwork,” Uekawa said in a release. “As with many IDW Sonic series fans, I personally love Tangle and Whisper, and I am very much looking forward to seeing their further adventures with Sonic, as well as seeing original characters in future issues!”

Uh, where are getting this from?

2 hours ago, King Khristmas CC14 said:

And a touching story featuring Blaze and Silver! 

Oooh, now that's interesting. Aside from the DS Sonic Colors (which I assume isn't considered canon), they haven't really interacted since 06. You'd think they wouldn't wanna talk about 06 outside of memes, let alone a comic that's being described as "touching".

I've been forgetting to pick up this comic, so I think that would be a good start.

We have a story about the Sonic Fan Club!

Oh gee. I wonder who this story could ever be about.

We have a story about Tangle and Whisper and a brand-new character!

Wonder if this one will be a dude and/or different type of animal.

We have a story about Rouge!

Cool!

We have a Sonic & Tails adventure!

Okay.

And a touching story featuring Blaze and Silver! 

Oh. This could be neat.

18 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/IDW_David_M/status/1075896976036618240

After Flynn mentionedhe wasn't sure if the other storiesin the Annual are canon Mariotte stepped in to confirm they are.

...We didn't even argue about that here. Annuals are usually canon. I know this was an argument back on another site, but it wasn't here.

1 hour ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

...We didn't even argue about that here. Annuals are usually canon. I know this was an argument back on another site, but it wasn't here.

...I was just sharing in case there was any wonder.