Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

7 minutes ago, Rowl said:

Gosh... those Sonic feet are so weird. Why can't the draw them with real toes? Those blob feet look so unfinished. 

They do it to piss off "THOSE" kind of enthusiasts 😈

• Chuckle 1

10 minutes ago, Rowl said:

Gosh... those Sonic feet are so weird. Why can't the draw them with real toes? Those blob feet look so unfinished. 

Because I'd assume, seeing as the views of Naoto Oshima imply he wouldn't even bother with it, that Yuji Uekawa (responsible for the modern redesigns and the design of Big the Cat and Tikal) couldn't find a style for the feet that worked.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's also in line with Sonic original inspiration, 20s/30s rubberhose (especially the likes of Felix the Cat). 

1 hour ago, Rowl said:

Hey it's better than pointy toes. They can't wear regular sandals.

what.jpg.51efc5167fc7099e5c890e58886bc0e6.jpg16.png.68426d87236918555bba11049a43eaf6.png

The blobs are still gross as it looks like you broke their ankles or something. It blends too well into them, which is why the shoes are an absolute must for the designs to separate from their ankles and hide those....things. If anything it furthers my belief they wear shoes so they can actually run and move....as balance would be super difficult without toes. I just don't see any design benefit to them either. I'd mention Kirby as something but uh....those online images of him scare me....😨

About the comic panel stuff, I don't think that's the problem, its the story. I mean ok sure issue 6 that was also kind of the problem. But for the most part its just the story. Take that one page that's literally tangle and the gang grappling back up to where rouge and amy are. That didn't need to be a whole page, it just screams to me there wasn't too much story thought out so they decided to do something fun with the page. Considering everyone who worked on this comic  ( well most folks ) worked on the previous one, they know how to do good page work and pack pages full of story ( sometimes too much ) there just wasn't alot of story and that is sort of where the issue likes. This year was very introductory, some introductions better than others... but it is what it is. And I guess they didn't wish to overwhelm readers, and I think that, on its face is a pretty smart idea. These comics seem to be going well, and I feel like having the main cast focus on a story you don't need much context for along with them mostly being characters people can identify helps that. So yeah I think its just story

Blob Statement: Blob feet look weird and gross and they should change it even mickey mouse went ahead and did that. That said I don't really care, my favorite character will most likely never be seen without shoes, because he's all edgy and stuff. Also I get the feeling shadow kinda has feet like eclipse or the rest of the black arms. My point being, It looks fucking gross, but I also give no shits

11 hours ago, DabigRG said:

So, here's a thread talking about the hypothetical possibility of Cosmo being introduced in IDW. I was gonna spoiler that for intellectual safety reasons, but I think it'll be better if I simply link it.

I don't think this is a good idea? Simply put  , cosmo has a very specific context and while yes character context can and will change as franchises live on, I don't there's much value in removing her from that. There's been new alien stuff introduced since she's gone, and i dunno her whole plot was that she was in dire straits and needed help. And there's only one book, I just don't think they are gonna upend that and send everyone to space to tell a slightly worse version of a story that was already not that great. Maybe if there more books thee could be something done?But now? Nah.

This is ontop of Sega making it clear, and Ian reiterating , sega likes to keep spin off separate. The only reason you had the FF's so long was old contracts, that's it. Much like the freedom fighters, Cosmo and her folks aren't really relevant to what they want to do with the franchise.

About Cosmo: as a person who grew up with Sonic X... I'm 100% indifferent. She wasn't exactly gripping character and her romance with Tails was just sorta there

With that said I like her specie. Seedians are the most "Sonic" aliens this franchise ever had, and I'm counting Black Arms and Wisps. Also, it would be nice if name 'seedians' became canon, like Witchcart being called Wendy.

Canonically she's still just Witchcart. It's only the Archie incarnation that uses that name. If she ever appeared in the IDW comic (assuming like, a classic spin-off or something), we don't know if she would keep that name. 

On 1/3/2019 at 2:22 AM, Rowl said:

Remember that Kirby meme where he had real feet? Here's a reminder:

Spoiler

image.png.213f004b14ece0402c5e1827cdea5681.png

If Sonic characters had normal feet and toes it would look just as jarring and unsettling. The blobs aren't the most elegant design choice, but I'd take them over the alternative. Besides you'll never see Sonic characters without shoes so it really isn't that important.

21 minutes ago, Mega said:

You guys are forgetting the far less terrifying cartoon animal paw option. :P

This, I think one of the artists uh... I think tracy just did a commission of sonic and tails walking to the beach, they had sandles , and had paw feet.Looked fine.

5 hours ago, Maxtiis said:

...you'll never see Sonic characters without shoes so it really isn't that important.

We'll never see it, except for the times we've seen it over the years to the point where this discussion comes up quite often.

Sheesh, such room temperature takes on the Sonic X thing.

On 12/31/2018 at 11:50 PM, Sonictrainer said:

Some fanart from IDW Artist Jennifer Hernandez

DvyuJouW0AAluq8.jpgDvyuKOoX0AAQoD_.jpg

Didn't mean to bump too many of these, but I just wanted to say I forgot how good NICOLE's New252 design was.

On 1/1/2019 at 9:14 AM, VEDJ-F said:

Nothing against OC cameos as a concept, I just don't like those OCs in particular. 

On 1/1/2019 at 9:32 AM, Shadowlax said:

Oh, ok. They were like in a bad fanfiction or something?

Not trying to suggest you are wrong just want context? Is this one of the scenario's where OC creator isn't the best person?

Yeah, what is it about them in particular that you don't like, if you don't mind us askin?

• Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

We'll never see it, except for the times we've seen it over the years to the point where this discussion comes up quite often.

I mean in an actual game, comic, or cartoon, not concept art from 1998.

On 1/2/2019 at 12:39 PM, Adamis said:

Just curious, but do you read US comics outside of Sonic ?

Interesting to bring that. I personally don't. I have no interest in comics in general, only in Sonic and had a mild curiosity when Megaman's comic was still alive. I'm way more familiar with manga.

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

Didn't mean to bump too many of these, but I just wanted to say I forgot how good NICOLE's New252 design was.

It's an alright outfit, but I think it kinda removes one of her unique traits when comparing her against the main cast, which is the dark fur in the edge of the limbs. also, Nicole is an name, not an acronym

1 hour ago, Korke said:

It's an alright outfit, but I think it kinda removes one of her unique traits when comparing her against the main cast, which is the dark fur in the edge of the limbs. also, Nicole is an name, not an acronym

Huh...oh, you mean like her hands and heel areas?

And that's how it was spelled on the wiki for a while.

6 hours ago, Maxtiis said:

I mean in an actual game, comic, or cartoon, not concept art from 1998.

Big the Cat.

Tikal the Cat.

And Tikal the Echidna.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't know personally I don't really care about Sonic characters feet. The blobs don't bother me though I will admit the paw like feet in pre-reboot Archie were a good work around. They resemble blob feet but have toes.

2 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Big the Cat.

Tikal the Cat.

And Tikal the Echidna.

Okay. I'd rather not see it changed to something more realistic due to this series' already unfortunate and bizarre association with weird fetishes, but if you guys would rather have the characters even more anthropomorphic, then that's your perogative.

Spoiler

Just be careful what you wish for.

uz0ie6sdmx411.jpg

I didn't even know those characters were supposed to be wearing sandals for years. Does that mean Knuckles is too?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Panda in a Pear Tree said:

That image wouldn’t look nearly as disturbing if the proportions were actually correct.

I KNOW RIGHT! I get the Kirby vibes from it because of that....*Shuddering*