Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

1 hour ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

I've read the comics, and there are times where Ian could use something better. Off the top of my head for IDW alone:

Keeping Super Neo Metal instead of Totally-Not-Metal-Overlord.

Tangle, for being used basically just as a thing for funny faces. Yes, I know she might get better down the line, but first impressions are important. And so far, you could just take her out of the story and NOTHING will change. At least they're setting something up with Whisper.

Using too many characters, and not letting each one shine that much.

I just think this is going to be another of Ian's missed opportunities. If it isn't, then I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Eh, I wouldn't say those are missed opportunities so much as somewhat extraneous fluff.

I am really curious about Starline, his design is pretty slick , I wonder if he is competently evil or if he's more morally grey. I really enjoyed the morally grey Egg-bosses in the pre-reboot series would love to see reincarnations of those characters.

Also really hoping Infinte would come back at some point but not keeping my hopes up, I would just love it to see more characters play off each other, especially villains 

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, Sonic Fan J said:

On an aside though, with how many mechanics this series has they should open up an auto repair shop and make some extra dough 🤣

That reminds me of an Tails and Amy centric fan comic from the 2000s were he and a reformed Dr. Eggman had an auto repair shop.

27 minutes ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

I am really curious about Starline, his design is pretty slick , I wonder if he is competently evil or if he's more morally grey. I really enjoyed the morally grey Egg-bosses in the pre-reboot series would love to see reincarnations of those characters.

Judging that he's pushing for bringing back a psychotic, dangerous megalomaniac, and the fact he hired a couple of thugs I think it's safe to say whoever Starline is, he DEFINITELY isn't morally grey.

1 hour ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

I just think this is going to be another of Ian's missed opportunities. If it isn't, then I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Yeah because that would be a legal nightmare? 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, DaddlerTheDalek said:

That reminds me of an Tails and Amy centric fan comic from the 2000s were he and a reformed Dr. Eggman had an auto repair shop.

I remember. That was during SA2 when fans wondered if Eggman would turn good after those events.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, DaddlerTheDalek said:

I believe you’re thinking of Chaos Diamonds 3, written by a guy who was popular at the time but got outed as a scumbag and pedophile.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, SenEDDtor Missile said:

I believe you’re thinking of Chaos Diamonds 3, written by a guy who was popular at the time but got outed as a scumbag and pedophile.

Okay THAT I didn’t know. 😟 

Moving on.

• Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

26 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Judging that he's pushing for bringing back a psychotic, dangerous megalomaniac, and the fact he hired a couple of thugs I think it's safe to say whoever Starline is, he DEFINITELY isn't morally grey.

He definitely seems like a slightly offbeat "For Science" type of villain.

With that said, I wouldn't call Eggman psychotic.

52 minutes ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

Also really hoping Infinte would come back at some point but not keeping my hopes up, I would just love it to see more characters play off each other, especially villains 

I'd be shocked if they brought him back in the games, so the juries really out on this one.

1 hour ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

Sega most likely sees Infinite as a one-time thing, and will probably forbid Ian from using him because "he's dead" (like how they forbade Black Doom and Mephiles) or some stupid bullcrap when we didn't even get to see what exactly happens to him. Remember, SEGA hates actually explaining things, so they'll most likely pull a cop-out.

9 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Sega most likely sees Infinite as a one-time thing, and will probably forbid Ian from using him because "he's dead" (like how they forbade Black Doom and Mephiles) or some stupid bullcrap when we didn't even get to see what exactly happens to him.

Well, considering pretty much everything about him....

9 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Remember, SEGA hates actually explaining things, so they'll most likely pull a cop-out.

I honestly don't know what to say about this.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

I honestly don't know what to say about this.

They do! Everything from Two Worlds to "only male hedgehogs can become super because they are plot devices" are all from SEGA. And before you say anything about Iizuka, remember that he's not really in charge. I could definitely see killing Infinite off be used as an excuse so that they can forbid Ian from using Infinite. I mean, they already did that for the Classic characters.

27 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

They do! Everything from Two Worlds to "only male hedgehogs can become super because they are plot devices" are all from SEGA. 

Aren't those technically retroactive explanations?

27 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

And before you say anything about Iizuka, remember that he's not really in charge. 

Wait, he's not?

28 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

I could definitely see killing Infinite off be used as an excuse so that they can forbid Ian from using Infinite. 

To their credit, this would actually make sense given that the comic is a follow up to Forces anyway and Infinite being dead is a pretty good possibility. They'd just be confirming something they didn't openly clarify.

They crack down on some stuff because they want to push a certain vision that they have for it[ at the time].

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

Where are the previews?

Since #12 comes out next week, we’ll get preview pages sometime between Friday-Monday.

18 hours ago, DaddlerTheDalek said:

18 hours ago, antyep said:

I remember. That was during SA2 when fans wondered if Eggman would turn good after those events.

18 hours ago, SenEDDtor Missile said:

18 hours ago, antyep said:

Okay THAT I didn’t know. 😟 

Moving on.

Amazing the chain of events that can stem from a single joke derived from MMO raiding communities. On the other hand a shame about the author as Tails and Eggman running a auto repair shop together would probably make a great 4-koma.

-----

On the other lines of conversation taking place, while I'm all for SEGA making sure the comic stays on brand, I wish they wouldn't stick their foot in their mouth and block off characters that would help sell the games they are from if they were just allowed to appear in a promotional comic and entice new eyes to research them. I know we joke that SEGA hates money but sometimes it really feels like that is true.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Oh look, honor, I luuv honor.

I hope it comes back.

Was that supposed to be a sarcastic remark or something? I don't get it.

Well that entire exchange was kinda dumb.

I know Archie had a history with robots and free wills, but Metal Sonic has never shown to be beyond his destructive programming in the games. Why would Sonic be trying this now?

11 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Hide contents

I know Archie had a history with robots and free wills, but Metal Sonic has never shown to be beyond his destructive programming in the games. Why would Sonic be trying this now?

Because Sonic isn't the type of person to hold grudges and prefers to let bygones be bygones.

• Thumbs Up 4

2 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

Hide contents

Maybe he's on a redemption kick. And this is still a different universe from the games, just very similar. We don't quite know the history yet, and the comics allow for more room for characterization than the games.

Although, knowing the mandates and that he's a game character that can never permanently change in such a way, it kinda falls flat, but not everyone who reads the comic is aware of those.

• Thumbs Up 1