Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

I feel like it's gonna be a lesson for Sonic later to not forgive his enemies and have him say "you were right Shadow".

Some character development is possible.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

I feel like it's gonna be a lesson for Sonic later to not forgive his enemies and have him say "you were right Shadow".

Some character development is possible.

I don't think its that simple.

I think its gonna be like " If i'm going to potentially put people in harms way , i should at least make sure that everything is ok instead of leaving him alone to be manipulated like this "

This comic isn't going to let the lesson be " Yes shadow you should have murdered that man in broad daylight. " Shadow probably should have, but that isn't the lesson they want to communicate to the primary demographic of this book, children. They will outright avoid it and not even acknowledge shadow before they do that, which kinda sucks, but that's why you don't write stories like that if you can't go anywhere with it.

• Thumbs Up 2

11 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Moar previews

Hide contents

0006-6.png

0007-5.png

Spoiler

While I'm curious how Metal found them so easily, and quickly at that, I have to say that this is actually one of the few times that Orbot and Cubot (mostly Orbot but I'm trying to be fair for a change) actually got a genuine laugh out of me. I also love seeing the skunks trying to get what they want and stay prideful in their own abilities and reputation. Starline on the other hand isn't doing much for me yet, which is a shame but all things in time I figure since Rough and Tumble are more appealing to me here than in issue 3.

Issue 13 was delayed AGAIN to February 6...

Enough of these delays! Just say it "issue x will come out in "month"", not a specific day that will be delayed 3-4 times and make us wait longer 3-4 times!

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Sonic Fan J said:
  Hide contents

While I'm curious how Metal found them so easily, and quickly at that, I have to say that this is actually one of the few times that Orbot and Cubot (mostly Orbot but I'm trying to be fair for a change) actually got a genuine laugh out of me. I also love seeing the skunks trying to get what they want and stay prideful in their own abilities and reputation. Starline on the other hand isn't doing much for me yet, which is a shame but all things in time I figure since Rough and Tumble are more appealing to me here than in issue 3.

It will be interesting to see them interact with more folks if their dynamic is " We are the hottest shit " and no one respects them or knows who they are really

2 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

Issue 13 was delayed AGAIN to February 6...

Enough of these delays! Just say it "issue x will come out in "month"", not a specific day that will be delayed 3-4 times and make us wait longer 3-4 times!

This isn't just happening to us. I've seen on TFWiki that several issues of Transformers get delayed. I don't know what the deal is buy this had been an issue with IDW for awhile now. Personally while it's annoying at least they're open with us about the problem. It could be like the last days of Archie and they kept us in the dark. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Some delays are ok. IDW does it a lot. long as we never get another archie mess

Also I do not think rough and tumble meant weapons as in themselves i think they want actual weapons

And if eggman turns back it does not prove shadows point. Eggman is good. Star and the others are trying to FORCE him to be evil again. Its not on him.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Dr. Starling can open portals in addition to being an egg laying mammal. ...Just saying.

What are you sayin...?

21 hours ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

Metal is gonna be in for some surprise.

Yes I am also really enjoying Dr Starline here, honestly wish it was just Rough and Tumblr, and Starline here. Not the comic books fault,I just  never liked Orbot and Cubot and they do seem kind of forced into the scene.

Eh, considering restoring Eggman is a current process, you kinda had to get that joke out there while you got the open chance.

19 hours ago, Sonic Fan J said:
  Hide contents

Starline on the other hand isn't doing much for me yet, which is a shame but all things in time I figure since Rough and Tumble are more appealing to me here than in issue 3.

Eh, I think it's just a habitual thing with introductions. That can apply to the first episode/issue/chapter of things a good bit, I find, since it usually is just "the first episode."  

And sometimes, the first little go round isn't that big or notable in itself for whatever reason and the return appearance from when you're already familiar leaves a bigger mark in part because there isn't a need to establish and thus it can just be.

Issue 1 of this comic in particular definitely had that. 

10 hours ago, Meta77 said:

=

And if eggman turns back it does not prove shadows point. Eggman is good. Star and the others are trying to FORCE him to be evil again. Its not on him.

Actually it proves shadow right 100%, for two main reasons and possibly a 3rd depending on what happens with metal sonic

1)Shadow was acting because he felt like, from experience that anything could trigger eggman being eggman and that's bad. And if that is the exact thing that happens, he will actually strait up just be right. Shadow's moral quandary isn't about some punisher shit where he wants to murder every criminal because he's crazy. He wanted to kill an extra-dimensional dictator that kept trying to take over the world and enslave everyone. Shadow was ting to keep the world safe in the long term, sonic doesn't think like that because he's " following his rainbow " , welp sometimes you gonna think in the long term.

2)I'm Sure the people in future who are affected by eggman will be really glad sonic decided to give him a chance. As they hold their loved ones in their arms they will go " I really appreciate you giving eggman a chance . Gonna go bury my family now " . I'm exaggerating this for comedic effect but that's basically what you are saying. No, Shadow was right, the world would have been a better place if he would have killed him. Is that fucked up? Yeah, but sometimes that's life. Sometimes murdering a dictator is the best option. And will be here, again.

Now am I saying Ian should have shadow kill eggman? No, the lesson of the book probably shouldn't be as much as a dictator Eggman is  " Murder the guy in the street " . Also they need their main famous antagonist. But shadow was right.

And to be extremely blunt, If Ian wants to turn the shit show that was issue 6 around and try and make it matter, he's going to have to acknowledge in some way. Sonic just doing shit that costs lives is extremely irresponsible and that's why shadow was trying to act pragmatically in the first place.

3) If Metal Sonic is the thing that triggers eggman going back, he was gonna go back anyways because it just seems like he always knows where eggman is. So it was going to happen, and sonic and tails not thinking about that that seeing his robots might trigger a reaction is irresponsible as heck.He had a bunch of shit, robots all around the world, he could have saw omega one time and just " Boop " he's back " . If you gonna keep him around because you think he might do good, you are going to have to control the environment he exists in. And sonic can't and probably doesn't want to do that. Literally sonic's fault.

Honestly it's frightening how much better the story would work if Shadow just wasn't brought in yet or at least if he had been brought in differently. But I'm going to try to avoid dwelling on the Shadow mess right now and focus on the Metal Sonic problem I thought was.

I had pondered how Metal Sonic had found them reading the preview, but then I remembered that the location Starline and company have Eggman appears to be Final Egg which is a place with repair facilities for Metal Sonic so now I can just write it off as a story contrivance that exploits coincidence for the benefit of not dragging out the plot unnecessarily.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, DabigRG said:

What are you sayin...?

Jus that now he bares even more of a resemblance to a certain popular Archie Character is all.

BTW before anyone misinterprets I'm not calling Starline lazy because he has elements of Dr. Finitevus or anything.  I'm actually just glad the basic concept of the good Doctor has been revived in some way shape or form. 

11 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Jus that now he bares even more of a resemblance to a certain popular Archie Character is all.

BTW before anyone misinterprets I'm not calling Starline lazy because he has elements of Dr. Finitevus or anything.  I'm actually just glad the basic concept of the good Doctor has been revived in some way shape or form. 

Should also be noted that Dr Fintevus borrowed quite a few elements from a certain UK Fleeway character. Who was based of a glitch/hack character from a certain spin of game.

and round and round we go.

Trough imo Starline already scores higher on the board because he's not just a ''white Echidna'' and he already shows more facial expressions and emotions then ''evil grin'' and ''crazy evil grin'' . 

• Thumbs Up 2

23 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

...Oooooh!

Well, that was a tad roundabout.

2 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Its been months and I still feel like people missed the entire point of issue 6.

It's probably too true that a number of us missed the point of the issue, but that should kind of say something about the writing. If people aren't grasping what the author was trying to convey then that is a failure on their part and not the readers. There is likely a good reason why a number of us keep bringing it back up and the author's mistakes are likely at the root of those reasons.

7 minutes ago, Sonic Fan J said:

It's probably too true that a number of us missed the point of the issue, but that should kind of say something about the writing. If people aren't grasping what the author was trying to convey then that is a failure on their part and not the readers. There is likely a good reason why a number of us keep bringing it back up and the author's mistakes are likely at the root of those reasons.

No, it's really not complicated at all. Shadow wants to kill Eggman to prevent him from being a threat ever again, and Sonic obviously is against that idea.

There's nothing complicated about this at all, but you and Shadowlax are swearing up and down how it's a terrible issue for reasons that I still don't quite get. Like, are we reading the same series or what?

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

No, it's really not complicated at all. Shadow wants to kill Eggman to prevent him from being a threat ever again, and Sonic obviously is against that idea.

There's nothing complicated about this at all, but you and Shadowlax are swearing up and down how it's a terrible issue for reasons that I still don't quite get. Like, are we reading the same series or what?

The difference in this case is a matter of face value versus nuance. Where it seems that you are looking at it entirely from a face value perspective @Shadowlax and I are both caught up on the nuances. The problem with the nuances in this case varies between us, such as @Shadowlax being mainly bothered by the morality at play and what he feels is a misrepresentation of Shadow and the consequences of Sonic's actions as well as the general rightness of Shadow's stance to kill Eggman preventing future atrocities on Eggman's part. Cold blooded murder of someone truthfully ignorant of why someone would want to kill them is possible to be perceived as the right thing to do and @Shadowlax is rightfully bothered by that appearing in a children's comic. Conversely, easy as it is for me to see it and be bothered by it as well, I am more set off by Shadow showing up too late to make any difference in the story. The entire point to his appearance as I perceive it is to challenge Sonic's decision, but that flies in the face of Sonic's never look back, no regrets attitude since he shows up after Sonic has made his decision. As a result his purpose for being there is totally wasted to me and since the whole volume focuses on this meaningless shoving match that stems from it the whole thing falls flat. Sure it can be argued that the volume could have been attempting to show that aspect of Sonic's character while also introducing Shadow and his complicated backstory without getting too wordy, but the execution falls flat to me and I find the whole volume a waste of space and time. Then there is the fact that narratively Shadow provides next to nothing in the following volumes asides from allowing Metal to go from a more useful form into a rather useless one. It just feels like a waste with no payoff either in volume or after.

I hope this clarifies how at least I see things a little and will make it easier to understand where I'm coming from on future mentions. And honestly, while issue 6 is my least favorite, it is not the only one I dislike as 10 and 3 also don't gel with me though for different reasons. 10 because it just didn't elicit any reaction out of me like 11 managed to and 3 because I feel that even though it's his introduction issue that it doesn't really sell knuckles' character or what's he about in any solid way. It's all off hand exposition and then he punches some things. That makes for a weak introduction to me and outside of being a long time fan I don't see how that issue is supposed to make you excited for his character. Anyway though I'm starting to ramble so I'll cut myself off here and hope that I was able to clarify some things for you.

TLDR version though just to save time; the nuances and implications of the story in issue 6 is where @Shadowlax and I draw most of our problems from.

13 minutes ago, Sonic Fan J said:

The difference in this case is a matter of face value versus nuance. Where it seems that you are looking at it entirely from a face value perspective @Shadowlax and I are both caught up on the nuances. The problem with the nuances in this case varies between us, such as @Shadowlax being mainly bothered by the morality at play and what he feels is a misrepresentation of Shadow and the consequences of Sonic's actions as well as the general rightness of Shadow's stance to kill Eggman preventing future atrocities on Eggman's part. Cold blooded murder of someone truthfully ignorant of why someone would want to kill them is possible to be perceived as the right thing to do and @Shadowlax is rightfully bothered by that appearing in a children's comic. Conversely, easy as it is for me to see it and be bothered by it as well, I am more set off by Shadow showing up too late to make any difference in the story. The entire point to his appearance as I perceive it is to challenge Sonic's decision, but that flies in the face of Sonic's never look back, no regrets attitude since he shows up after Sonic has made his decision. As a result his purpose for being there is totally wasted to me and since the whole volume focuses on this meaningless shoving match that stems from it the whole thing falls flat. Sure it can be argued that the volume could have been attempting to show that aspect of Sonic's character while also introducing Shadow and his complicated backstory without getting too wordy, but the execution falls flat to me and I find the whole volume a waste of space and time. Then there is the fact that narratively Shadow provides next to nothing in the following volumes asides from allowing Metal to go from a more useful form into a rather useless one. It just feels like a waste with no payoff either in volume or after.

I hope this clarifies how at least I see things a little and will make it easier to understand where I'm coming from on future mentions. And honestly, while issue 6 is my least favorite, it is not the only one I dislike as 10 and 3 also don't gel with me though for different reasons. 10 because it just didn't elicit any reaction out of me like 11 managed to and 3 because I feel that even though it's his introduction issue that it doesn't really sell knuckles' character or what's he about in any solid way. It's all off hand exposition and then he punches some things. That makes for a weak introduction to me and outside of being a long time fan I don't see how that issue is supposed to make you excited for his character. Anyway though I'm starting to ramble so I'll cut myself off here and hope that I was able to clarify some things for you.

TLDR version though just to save time; the nuances and implications of the story in issue 6 is where @Shadowlax and I draw most of our problems from.

Shadow wanting to kill Eggman is pragmatically right, but not morally so. Which is Sonic's point. Even if Eggman didn't have amnesia, I doubt Sonic would let Shadow do it.

Sure, it MIGHT come back to bite him in the ass and the issue could have better explored that more, but Sonic himself was having doubts and even he said that he'd take full responsibility over watching over him.

As for your point; the whole issue is just meant to reinforce Sonic's decision. You can call that pointless, but at least touching upon the moral implications of just letting Eggman go was a good idea.

Not saying its perfect, but it feels rather clear cut. 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Shadow wanting to kill Eggman is pragmatically right, but not morally so. Which is Sonic's point. Even if Eggman didn't have amnesia, I doubt Sonic would let Shadow do it.

Sure, it MIGHT come back to bite him in the ass and the issue could have better explored that more, but Sonic himself was having doubts and even he said that he'd take full responsibility over watching over him.

As for your point; the whole issue is just meant to reinforce Sonic's decision. You can call that pointless, but at least touching upon the moral implications of just letting Eggman go was a good idea.

Not saying its perfect, but it feels rather clear cut. 

It's Sonic's doubts that I honestly feel should have been better explored by Shadow's appearance myself which is why I think he should have shown up before Sonic finalized his decision considering what I know about Sonic's personality as well as my interpretation of it. Honestly, I think if the point to the issue is to introduce new readers who are unfamiliar with Sonic's kindness and tendency to give villains a second chance it does a good enough job. Unfortunately it also fumbles introducing Shadow beyond a crazy hedgehog who wants to kill Eggman and was himself once a villain. It doesn't lend itself well to his role at all later on (arguably most of the characters feel kind of squandered later regardless of the quality of their introductions) and doesn't help establish why he acts the way he does. Maybe I'm just too biased by this point since no matter the angle I look at issue 6 from I find it fails in ways that just annoy me and that I can't ignore.

Moving on from my issue 6 rants, I'm enjoying what I've seen of issue 12 so far but am kind of wondering where the issue goes from here. Are we going to move over to wrap up party and show characters like Blaze and Silver leaving or are we going to interrupt the party with news of the grand return of Eggman putting a damper on their victory celebrations?

I mean you say children's comic as if they can not have killing as a theme. Hell even the archie comics had death as a thing. It's not that nature of a topic

• Thumbs Up 2

31 minutes ago, Sonic Fan J said:

Moving on from my issue 6 rants, I'm enjoying what I've seen of issue 12 so far but am kind of wondering where the issue goes from here. Are we going to move over to wrap up party and show characters like Blaze and Silver leaving or are we going to interrupt the party with news of the grand return of Eggman putting a damper on their victory celebrations?

I mean, I suppose.

There's gonna eventually be some big catastrophe that they had to deal with to protect their worlds, so having both around to eventually deal with it make sense.

25 minutes ago, Sonic Fan J said:

It's Sonic's doubts that I honestly feel should have been better explored by Shadow's appearance myself which is why I think he should have shown up before Sonic finalized his decision considering what I know about Sonic's personality as well as my interpretation of it. Honestly, I think if the point to the issue is to introduce new readers who are unfamiliar with Sonic's kindness and tendency to give villains a second chance it does a good enough job. Unfortunately it also fumbles introducing Shadow beyond a crazy hedgehog who wants to kill Eggman and was himself once a villain. It doesn't lend itself well to his role at all later on (arguably most of the characters feel kind of squandered later regardless of the quality of their introductions) and doesn't help establish why he acts the way he does. Maybe I'm just too biased by this point since no matter the angle I look at issue 6 from I find it fails in ways that just annoy me and that I can't ignore.

Think you're too caught up in your own interpretations of the characters instead of how they're written here. Nothing shown here is really off. Shadow is pragmatic, he usually makes decisions that do not necessarily mesh with the more upright heroes, its the main reason him and Sonic never can see eye to eye, because Shadow would take actions that Sonic can never approve of. And Sonic is always steadfast in his beliefs, if he doubted himself that would only justify Shadow's position.

It's probably the first legit conflict they've had since SA2. 

• Thumbs Up 1