Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

13 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

Meanwhile, in the current issue landing tomorrow:

Hide contents

tumblr_plee3dZ5sN1t849dx_400.png

Spoiler

>Eggman regained his memory after seeing his son got hurt. 

That's fucking adorable and I love it. 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Sonictrainer said:

Hide contents

Kinda wish I didn't click that.. that's surprisingly adorable.

3 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

Reveal hidden contents

We need more of this. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Spoiler

We knew that Eggy was going to be back someway, somehow.
I just hope they keep a little part of Tinker inside of him, but I doubt SEGA will allow that, because that would mean ACTUAL CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT, and we know that Sonic characters can't have THAT!

• Fist Bump 1

Spoiler

It seems that the panel in question is just flashback, though Tinker’s memories are still being triggered to some extent. I haven’t read it yet so I have no idea if he becomes Eggman by the end of the issue or not (though I would assume so).

16 minutes ago, Riggo said:
  Reveal hidden contents

It seems that the panel in question is just flashback, though Tinker’s memories are still being triggered to some extent. I haven’t read it yet so I have no idea if he becomes Eggman by the end of the issue or not (though I would assume so).

Hopefully it is that. I don't want for literally the only thing I find interesting in this entire run to just up and stop this soon.

Okay issue 12. In two words: epilogue & prologue. (but mostly epilogue).

Spoiler

Starts with Sonic releasing Metal Sonic. I like it personality-wise, it's cool that Sonic doesn't hold a grudge, even against killer robots.

Logic ways... well, letting villains go was problem since Archie Sonic #3, and I'm talking original mini-series. That's just something we have to buy. Let's face it, we know Metal somehow had to return, so I'm giving Flynn pros for originality rather than cliche "dang he escaped".

I'm less convinced with Metal bringing Eggman's personality back. Yes, it was bloody adorable, but does he really loves Metal more than he hates Sonic? Or his Eggman Empire? Show Starline in bad light that his first job was complete failure without Metal.

Also, it ruins my fanfic. Oh god, I became this type of fan.

Rest is so much nice interactions, with tiiiiiny progress (bye Blaze). Yeah, yeah, Tangle is cute, can she do anything else? Nothing is as good as Metal/Eggman scene anyway.

Warp Topaz is fancy replacement for Finitevus Warp Rings.

And last page shows us... that Eggman will build Kindergarten from Steven Universe?

Overall this issue is fine representation of Year One as a whole: Great artwork. Cute Interactions. Characters New & Old.

Few stuff actually happening. Vague promises for future. Slightly questionable logic to move plot in desired direction. Not Enough Shadow.

Spoiler

Way to waste Mr. Tinkerer. What a pointless tease. So much more coulda been done with that, but we're already jumping immediately back to the status quo. The one interesting thing this run had going for it, and they already squandered it. Coulda just had the Doc in hiding the whole time for this new plan, and basically accomplished the same thing. Maybe we can have Eggman go undercover as Mr. Tinkerer to get a little more out of it...but even still...bleh!

Issue is fine overall. But that's practically all I can say about the run in general. It's merely...fine. Not really worth recommending, but some mileage may vary depending on the person. I can always repeat the positive parts like a broken record. Most of the characters feel in character, interactions can be fun, but it's nothing but flavour text and that's all the book has going for it.

I'm getting FighterZ syndrome. The meat and bones of what's going on is pretty uninspired and dull, but the flavour text is fun. Seeing the banter is great, but going through everything else is not. I'll be surprised if there's no backstab from new doc, since evil genius' can never get along. I may have to say what I really don't want to say...something I do not want to have to admit....but it may something I can't deny.....oh no....🤢

That was pretty eventful, so much happened and not a moment wasted.

Though, why can't Rouge get a break? She doesn't ever look to good.

Metal Sonic is Eggman's baby boomer, amazing.

Man, most of those early Starline designs are way better than the final one.

8 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:
  Hide contents

We knew that Eggy was going to be back someway, somehow.
I just hope they keep a little part of Tinker inside of him, but I doubt SEGA will allow that, because that would mean ACTUAL CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT, and we know that Sonic characters can't have THAT!

Spoiler

Eggman doesn't need character development because he's already perfect.

Issue was fine, but it does feel like a certain plot point just didn't amount to much in the end. The interactions are still nice, but a series can only be carried by that for so long.

Really hope there's a bit more substance next arc.

Simply put I liked this issue even if a few things didn't land for me.

Spoiler

Mostly the check in on the Resistance parts though there were a few entertaining moments like the Chaotix showing up for their pay 🤣
Now the Eggman parts and Metal Sonic parts (there individual scenes and shared) I found a lot more enjoyable. Rough and Tumble jumping at the chance to do their little intro was mildly amusing more so for Eggan's reaction than their own quirkiness. I'm good with that though for at least as long as we have every character reacting to their intro at least one. After that will be enough for me.
Other than that though Starline is still of to a slow start for me even if I kind of like how him possessing the Chaos Emeralds kind of addresses where they were in Forces since neither Eggman or the Resistance had them.

Still though, it was enjoyable enough and I'm looking forward to Year 2 for the most part. Before that though the Annual is where my focus is leaning next and hopefully those little stories will entertain me.

6 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Hide contents

. Not Enough Shadow.

I mean he already bounced and sonic isn't gonna go find him.

This comic: This comic is  hilarious? Not in the way they may have intended. I like the chaotix is like " Aiight pay us "

Spoiler

d8xlU3K.png

Same. I know magic rocks are a thing in this series but do we really need to introduce more?

Also this fuckin' guy just casually dumping the full set of chaos emeralds, it's a little fucking much huh? 7 gems of infinite power shouldn't fall into the story so easily. Between this and the last arc and its 3 separate gem-powered forms it feels like the comic's trying to rush up to the top of the power scale right away and make a nest there.

At least Eggman's finally actually in the comic. And I guess his plan is to release some kind of nanomachine virus? The hologram looks an awful lot like a bacteriophage, anyway.

Just now, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Wait, isn't one of the upcoming arcs about Sonic getting infected with a virus?

Oh yeah, turns into a robot if he don't stop running right?

18 minutes ago, Diogenes said:
  Hide contents

At least Eggman's finally actually in the comic. And I guess his plan is to release some kind of nanomachine virus? The hologram looks an awful lot like a bacteriophage, anyway.

Spoiler

They said at some IDW panel that the next arc involves Eggman infecting Sonic with some virus that slowly turns him into metal unless he keeps running. I'm sure we'll get plenty of GOTTA GO FAST jokes because that hasn't gotten old yet.

Blaze is gone so I'm on team "this comic is trash" now.

Spoiler

Naw I'm just kidding. Eggman being back is w/e but I enjoyed Sonic's little moments with everyone. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Well I enjoyed it a lot a really good cap off to "Season 1"...Boy do I hope the next year has more extra books to flesh out and warrant the "Season" banner. XD

Spoiler

I kinda wish Tracy had done the first 3 pages. Give more of a split to the Sonic and Eggman scenes but oh, well.

I'm very interested in seeing where the next storyline is going and I don't really mind Starline having the Chaos Emeralds it cuts down oin the need for a long search for them. Also Holy crap Eggman isn't fooling around! Just Roboticize (for lack of a better term) the whole planet and be done with it. Yikes.

I loved the goodbyes even though you know we'll be seeing them again it feels like they're certain the fight with Eggman's over. It kinda makes me think of the end of SA2 where they're all just talking. it's nice.

But my favorite one was Rouge just lounging with a pair of sunglasses on top of Eggman's ship. It's extra stuff like that that makes her my favorite. 

I give the Issue and honestly Battle for Angel Island as a whole a 4 out of 5.

Anyway divorced from the issue itself I'd like to say we're a year in now and if you're still not enjoying the book that's fine. You have no obligation to keep reading it. I enjoy it but I can understand how it's not everyone's cup of tea. I mean so many other people like SatAM but I find it to be pretty meh. I'm just saying there's no point in following a book that's not working for you.

• Thumbs Up 1