Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Kay, so after that faulty climax in the last two issues, I've read #12 and I'm happy to report that I've got nothing but positive things to say about it.

Again, it just highlights that Ian is at his best when he's writing for the characters and getting them to work off one another. As an epilogue it does it's job really well and for me, personally, it hit a home-run with the conversation with Knuckles.

I'm about to freak out right now. 

Ahem...

FINALLY! THE RESISTANCE HAS DISBANDED! WHOOOOOOO~! HOLY SHIT! IT'S GONE! WE CAN GO ON ADVENTURES AGAIN! NO MORE FREEDOM FIGHTERS! NO MORE SKY PATROL! NO MORE SOLDIERS FOR A KINGDOM! NO MORE! HE DISBANDED IT! IT'S GONE! YES! YEEEEEESSSS! YEAAH!
tenor.gif

Anyway...

I love that he's sticking true to who these characters are supposed to be. I can't help but value it so much considering how little the main series cares. In an issue where the point is to go around having conversations that wrap things up, it fills me up with such boyish glee.

Especially the Chaotix scene. They were after that cheddar. All three of them were. Those are my boys. Run Amy's bank account asunder.

I'm also getting the feeling that Starline isn't just Finitevus but also part Snively. I got a little freaked out when I saw all the emeralds in a case like that. Ever since watching Sonic X, the emeralds always made me feel on edge. On that show, merely having one close to another would set them off. It's just stuck with me all this time.

Rough and Tumble are serving as the Bean and Bark too. That's fine. I'm expecting more light-heartedness next time. 

They acknowledge that they don't know how Silver goes from past to future. Good.

We're done with the "gather the crew together for introductions" stuff. We're undoing the bullshit set-up Forces thrust us into. Feels like we're in full swing now. 

I will say, I wish there was a way to get two of these a month instead of just one. Even when not much was happening in Archie, it was easier to stomach because both the main series and SU were happening at the same time. I hope something similar is possible without anyone being overworked or anything like that.

Good stuff this time though. I enjoyed it a lot. In fact, I feel like I really needed this.

• Thumbs Up 4

One of the biggest knocks against the Archie run was that the 4 part arc set up really didn't leave a lot of room for closure and epilogue. Issue 4 of each arc had to contain the climax of the story and then back-load the fall out and the stinger for the next arc in the last few pages. It rarely gave any room to breathe post conflict. It had to fling you right into the next one to sell you on the next 4 issues on the horizon.

In light of that - Issue 12 is SUPER refreshing.

Its pretty much an entire book dedicated to winding it down - while at the same time - spooling up what is coming next without compromising that wind down. These characters can be fun even when they are not actively punching things and I would gladly welcome a detox issue like this at the end of every over-arcing plotline just to get more of it. Character interaction like this is liquid Ambrosia. Please take it and inject it directly into my veins. This is what the comic can satisfy that no other medium can. This inbetween stuff is what it can feed where the videogame quite frankly can't tread.

MOAR.

That being said, it did feel like Year 1 was trying to shove all these characters in front of us to appease a quota and get fans interested in why each of them is awesome, so this kind of feels like a way to say goodbye to a bunch of the extended cast members for a bit. Even so, I'm looking forward to Year 2 and if that brings tighter more focused stories than I think that will be a bonus.

• Thumbs Up 5

8 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I'm also getting the feeling that Starline isn't just Finitevus but also part Snively. 

Yeah, I sorta got that vibe as well.

Well that and, like, someone else.

8 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Rough and Tumble are serving as the Bean and Bark too. That's fine. I'm expecting more light-heartedness next time. 

Eeeh, not...really?

I mean, Bean and I guess Zazz are definitely the closest to compare to, off the top of my head.

On 1/16/2019 at 2:01 AM, Sonictrainer said:

Meanwhile, in the current issue landing tomorrow:

Reveal hidden contents

tumblr_plee3dZ5sN1t849dx_400.png

Spoiler

Dr. Eggman is acting like a proud father. I love it.

I feel like I'm giving off the impression that I think the book is flawless or something. I want to take this time to say I don't. There's pacing issues and yes there's things I wish they'd done in a different way but I feel like any complaint's I can come up with are minor at best.

I don't feel like the problems make the book boring or anything like that but that's just my opinion and I firmly admit that.

I will say, I wish there was a way to get two of these a month instead of just one. Even when not much was happening in Archie, it was easier to stomach because both the main series and SU were happening at the same time. I hope something similar is possible without anyone being overworked or anything like that.

Again I'm hoping we get some Miniseries' in the future. IDW usually has a few Miniseries running alongside the main books that might as well be called "[Series Title] Universe" half the time.

While I admit, this is issue was incredibly entertaining and balanced the core sonic cast in fun new ways,, I'm still salty on how Ian pretty much has a clear direction with obvious main leading roles for some of the characters involving Sonic and Eggman(Knuckles for example is obviously going to be a main leading role like in archie, instead of a one off sonic plot buddy like everyone outside of tails and amy, when ever Angel Island or the Chaos Emeralds which ties to Sonic/EggMAN almost occasionally) but has no real plans or a clear direction for Shadow and other modern characters for main staring plots with the classic cast other than Sonic's expendable Partner and ally fanservice(Silver for example is a outsider minor role that revolves around working with Sonic to fix something in the future for example). 

Shadow IMO in particular really feels out of place in story with a charismatic cast and is written so detached in being neutral to having little relevance in stories with Sonic the hero, it feels he's being shafted and used only for special occassions because Ian is either not interested in him without expanding the cast around him(he likes Rouge better than Shadow in a interview) or Sonic Team ordered Ian to make Shadow have stories approved by them in some authority. I hate to complain about Shadow for a minor reason as always, but this time I bring a solid point in voicing my complaints, Rouge the Bat(a character that I always hated seeing without Shadow in advance because I view her as a SA2 Shadow era side character to Shadow, not Knuckles), shows up to appear in the current issue but without Shadow (which is  like showing Tails without Sonic which some could argue Tails is not as interesting without showing Sonic with him), being apparently there to boost Knuxouge? As if Knux needs more attention outside of guarding the emerald, Knuckles is already kinda a mary sue that has the most plot ties to mcguffians like the chaos emeralds and the fact his Master Emerald is sought more than chaos emeralds sometimes by characters such as Rouge and Eggman to expand his main popularity and so called importance to most of the main character as his rival and friend, Rouge showing up is pointless, it serves no purpose but to the make Knuckles feel more important in the grand scheme of being a main hero and authors darling, Shadow doesn't get revolved around as a solitary figure like Knuckles has in this run so far(leader of an army, guardian, bane of Rough and Tumbles existance while Shadow just gets the ill gotten grim anti hero like it was a tounge in cheek rib on how Shadow is edgy and the leadership role to Team Dark despite not leading any part of Rouge in any capacity), Knuckles gets Rouge attention(Master Emerald), probably since Sonic has key story telling character progress, Knuckles is going to be the most interdependent story of the main cast since  Rouge is basically independent of Team Dark and still used for Knuckles side story development, It bugs me that when characters like Rouge show up(I assume this highlights the cast was allowed to display their casual duties/hobbies in peacetime, it would have been appropriate to see what Shadow and Omega were up too alongside Rouge and her thief habits). This comic has still has no confidence in Shadow in issues that tie to one of the main key characters like Knuckles, you get that this comic doesn't regard Shadow as a key character he is and deserves, that warrants a main impact to characters not Sonic or Knuckles, plus the fact Rouge is kinda iconic with Shadow than Knuckles, she stars with him in the same game that was about him after all. The fact they barely build Shadow story aspects like GUN the first time he makes his comic apparance makes readers confused what real purpose he plays other than looking like Sonic and having his powers but basically plays the dark hero.

I want to see what Shadow truly means to Sonic as a whole for once, having a plot that tells nothing but Sonic only stories makes me worry for the characters marketability, having that said there is still hope for the black blur if ian eventually regards his story as interdependent from Sonic main adventures like Shadow Fall, but I feel Ian just doesn't care to explore the main sense of solitary deepness that inhabits Shadow as a major plot building hero/anti hero, Ian is content somehow to register him as a rival to Sonic and a partner to Rouge who has no independent core personality than to play off other important characters(Shadow should be the number one example IMO). Why is it so hard to create a main leading role for him to act his own main sonic role beyond being Rouge's snark bait or Sonic's in team ups that he really doesn't need to be on? he's already as popular as Sonic and more popular than Rouge, Rouge doesn't need to act on his behalf and his motives because Rouge has to speak for his lack of overt feelings. His thoughts, feelings and his input can be written in his first person viewpoint, stop making him this brooding teenager that can't bother socializing pure business short talk with others, he needs to invest on what he needs to do what he doesn't need which pissed me off with his and Sonic's debate(#06), which shouldn't completely crush his resolve or his stances in integrity about the mission. Have him explain his reasons for doing something extremely drastic before coming to violence not act on impulse and start shit for no reason(basically everything in Sonic 06). Ian flip floped with him in being portrayed as a true to his roots in his debut issue, He's dark and violent but he's not a bull headed reckless fool that shoots first asks later, thats sonic and knuckles, and that issue shows Ian doesn't fully grasp the predetermined nature as a pure direction he takes with everyone else, he's still experimenting with Shadow's character being a mix of imbalanced traits from the media in the past. It is in Shadow to warn everyone before he resorts to physical extremes, but not during he should have known in advance the types of people he would go against like Sonic, and should have expected Sonic to interfere, so I expected Shadow to be more resolute in fighting with Sonic like everyone else, with  an ultimatum and a willingness to kill him. But Ian doesn't have to balls to write something so good and darkly grey in a comic where the title hero cracks jokes every issue and goofs off. Maybe he should research how to write characters like Shadow contrasting the cocky fun loving hero from playing games like Devil May Cry 3, an write Shadow with some actual determined aloof resolution and make him perfectly written and consistent.

I didn't read the whole post, but I still think Shadow is well written here and I love it. Ian clearly has plans for him, after all we have to explore his story arc and conflict with Whisper, who will also have a major arc some day, and Tangle who says she will be sticking around. Silver obviously stays and if we follow the theories of him being tied to Starline, I find that very likely. 

Knux will be back, but I'm glad the resistance is disbanded, it has been useful but it's been too long.

I'm so glad the Doctor is back!

Blaze... I know, it's sad she is already gone but I believe she contributed in the fight, she had some great issues like 4 and 9. I knew she would go but this is because we asked for less characters in season 2.

• Thumbs Up 1

See's that wall.

I think i'm gonna.... not engage that .

Anywho I think its funny shadow was already gone. And rouge is like " I don't know man just vanishes and doesn't listen "

I also like the idea of amy having to deal with pay out and possibly paperwork, I would like have liked it more if she was the leader of the resistance.. given she did most of the work , but fuck it

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Too Many Rings 1

4 minutes ago, Jack in the Snow said:

I didn't read the whole post, but I still think Shadow is well written here and I love it. Ian clearly has plans for him, after all we have to explore his story arc and conflict with Whisper, who will also have a major arc some day, and Tangle who says she will be sticking around. Silver obviously stays and if we follow the theories of him being tied to Starline, I find that very likely. 

I think shadow generally has some hick ups. I don't quite thing shadow hasn't gotten to shadow in this book besides his ability to punch a guy. And while I do enjoy shadow punching a guy , he's a bit more than that and that's why I like him. It ain't the worst shadow in the world, I recently went back and read some old archie and uh... oh god everything's bad. But he ain't perfect. Hopefully he improves and I think he will. I am also interested in the whipser thing, it could go anywhere but I hope it goes into a meta direction

4 minutes ago, Jack in the Snow said:

Blaze... I know, it's sad she is already gone but I believe she contributed in the fight, she had some great issues like 4 and 9. I knew she would go but this is because we asked for less characters in season 2.

Sucks, I wish she was around more it would be pretty neat.

Just now, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Shadow was seen leaving last issue, it's just a blink and you'll miss it moment tho.

Oh I saw it

it was funny last issue and its still funny here

" Ya'll lame. I'm going to cinnibon "

I think Shadow is fine personally; he doesn't need to be the center of every arc he's in, and even despite that he still played a major role in this arc.

Think people are too used to seeing him being the center of everything that when he isn't, it destroys their beliefs.

• Thumbs Up 4

I have to be honest, this thread has a problem with Shadow writing and I'm tired of it, this is why I don't come here to read most of the time. Sorry.

• Fist Bump 4

6 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

I think Shadow is fine personally; he doesn't need to be the center of every arc he's in, and even despite that he still played a major role in this arc.

Think people are too used to seeing him being the center of everything that when he isn't, it destroys their beliefs.

I'm not even talking about that, I don't think he got to be himself. One of my favorite arcs in the archie thing , he's there but he isn't the main character, knuckles's is. He plays off knuckles super well and you get a sense of who he is and knuckles does too. While not going to say you are outright wrong. I will say a lot of peoples complaints for a while (  I Don't agree with this btw ) is that ian doesn't really write a good shadow. I disagree... highly, but recent events doesn't really disprove their statements I guess.

I want a story where he gets to talk to someone and actually get to give his perspective on things. He's kinda been all fight man , and he's more than that. He's one of the few characters who's actually a lot more than that and I would like that to have something done with it.

I think you are asserting what you think people are upset about over some of the criticism actually made. Unless Dash Speed just made the criticism you are criticizing, because i'm not reading that. You have fun with that .I'm not gonna do that. 

Is he the worst shadow in the world, Jesus christ god no. Has archie flashbacks

I feel like he's been a bit one sided.

I downright think this whole "Shadow isn't being properly utilised" nonsense doesn't even make any sense either way. Now, to be frank, I skim read the above post because...well it's a massive wall of text, but I saw several things like he shouldn't be in this cast of charismatic characters and such, and he's being shafted and whatever else. Now, let's ignore the fact that Issue 11 had Shadow breaking off from the rest of the cast to fight Metal Sonic alongside Sonic and Knuckles, despite the fact Shadow has little to no relevance to this plot than the others, yet he was still the one who got to be apart of the main final fight (how that's a shaft, idk), but let's focus in on that point of him not fitting.

I absolutely disagree. Shadow's role in the cast is very important, because exactly because of how much he contrasts against the rest of the group. Shadow is more serious, willing to do dirty work, and is a character who is much more based on the "ends justify the means" mindset. He offers an important comparison and contrast to the rest of the cast because Shadow works on the level that he's a darker variation of Sonic. I know that sounds like some spin off into the area of "lol edgelord sonic", but it isn't, it's being honest IMO. 

Sonic has always been classified as a free-spirit, someone who doesn't really care what others, especially those who claim to be in a position of power says is right or wrong. It was the same in the Black Knight, he was willing to slay King Arthur and look like the villain of the universe because in his eyes, King Arthur was a megalomaniac who was trying to corrupt and rule the kingdom with an iron grip. Sonic sticks true to his own ideals and basically forgets what others might think of him. If he thinks it's correct, Sonic will often times go for it, and if he's wrong and he messes up, he'll often times just accept the mistake and continue moving onwards.

Shadow...is kind of the same, but in a darker sense. Shadow doesn't really listen to what he's ordered to do, or what he is told is right and wrong, the only real exception being whenever we see him as an agent of G.U.N. Bar that, Shadow often times will do what he absolutely believes is necessary to stop what he believes is "wrong". It's been like that since SA2, since in his eyes, what G.U.N had done to Maria was a injustice, and under the belief that Maria's dying wish was revenge for her death, he sets out to "right" this wrong.

He's as cocky, as arrogant, and as sure of his own power and ideals as Sonic, but where Sonic is more carefree and sticks to brighter ideals of redemption and accepting mistakes, Shadow sets out to ensure that a danger to what he deems as "peace" isn't able to come back again. 

Bar all that though, it's just the fact Shadow serves as someone unique to bounce off of. No one in the rest of the Sonic cast is as much of a straight man as Shadow, and that just works well for good character interaction. It's fun to see Shadow's serious nature break and his competitive side start to show when Sonic shows up to challenge his authority. It's fun when Shadow is forced to deal with interactions he doesn't know how to be prepared for, and it just allows for overall better character balancing so everyone isn't just a 24/7 snark machine. He fulfils an important character dynamic.

2 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Pretty much this for me, yeah. Considering Archie Sonic had a bit of a tendency to overplay their hands with Shadow and Knuckles after post-reboot, the one thing I've been decently happy about is just character balancing. My issues with the original characters not getting much focus aside, each character has gotten one issue of spotlight, and if anything, Shadow got a bit more when he got to step in to help Sonic and Knuckles despite having little to nothing to do with that particular arc at that point, no less than the likes of Tails or Amy anyways. 

Shadow doesn't need to be the centre of attention, and he is by no means so amazing that the sheer idea that he's not at the forefront of every single issue is somehow squandering his potential. If anything, I'd rather we gave Tails, Amy, or even the Chaotix a chance to step up and interact more with the main cast, because simply put - Knuckles and Shadow had their time to shine hard in Archie, especially when Universe had three arcs in a row dedicated to the two of them while Amy and Tails had to share their screentime with the other main cast characters and the Freedom Fighters.

Granted, I'm still fine with the balanced approach being taken at the minute, but I know for sure I'd be a lot more excited for a potential solo Sonic/Tails adventure arc that we haven't gotten since Countdown to Chaos way back in #252 of Archie Sonic than either Shadow or Knuckles getting another arc spotlight this early in the series. 

• Thumbs Up 6

29 minutes ago, Jack in the Snow said:

Knux will be back, but I'm glad the resistance is disbanded, it has been useful but it's been too long.

I'm so glad the Doctor is back!

Maybe(in your eyes) because Shadow isn't really a character in this comic more of a action hype tool to make Sonic look good, he's supposed to be a main lead due to having three games explore his lore and depth. This Shadow is probably the most poorly written iteration since Sonic Boom Shadow who at least showed conviction, a strong sense of identity and purpose(evil knight templar) and charisma like in SA2.

7 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Bar all that though, it's just the fact Shadow serves as someone unique to bounce off of. No one in the rest of the Sonic cast is as much of a straight man as Shadow, and that just works well for good character interaction. It's fun to see Shadow's serious nature break and his competitive side start to show when Sonic shows up to challenge his authority. It's fun when Shadow is forced to deal with interactions he doesn't know how to be prepared for, and it just allows for overall better character balancing so everyone isn't just a 24/7 snark machine. He fulfils an important character dynamic.

So I would like to say I generally agree with this , well except the sonic thing. I don't really think that's that interesting at this point. At sonic 06 shadow was so casual about it that amounted to a single line and that's about all that should be. But I agree with the rest of that.

My only issue is I wish shadow got to do some of the things you are saying? I like shadow out of his element. I have a whole story idea where shadow and cream have to hang and occasionally he says damn and he has to pay into a swear jar.

For me personally none of that really happened, he's just been a vehicle for fights in this book. There has been no bouncing

6 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

So I would like to say I generally agree with this , well except the sonic thing. I don't really think that's that interesting at this point. At sonic 06 shadow was so casual about it that amounted to a single line and that's about all that should be. But I agree with the rest of that.

My only issue is I wish shadow got to do some of the things you are saying? I like shadow out of his element. I have a whole story idea where shadow and cream have to hang and occasionally he says damn and he has to pay into a swear jar.

For me personally none of that really happened, he's just been a vehicle for fights in this book. There has been no bouncing

Dude, we're 12 issues in the book, and the majority of all of that was spent dealing with the aftermath of Forces' story, establishing Metal Sonic's plot, and then this entire battle arc. We're making this whole point about Shadow being underutilised and everything when we're just through our first major arc of the book and just now are things beginning to unwind, and even at that, you can infer that Shadow either doesn't, or can't be apart of the large "after-party" so to speak with the rest of the cast patting themselves on the back for a job well done, so he left when he had the chance to do so.

If we were like 50 or even 30 issues in and we had nothing but Shadow being an edgy powerful dick to everyone, then yeah, I'd see your point, but his introduction was in the middle of an action-packed arc that didn't really have any moments to stop and breath, bar Issue 12. This seems a lot more like a wait and see thing instead of just assuming this is the case for the entirety of the book. 

• Thumbs Up 6

21 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

I'm not even talking about that, I don't think he got to be himself. One of my favorite arcs in the archie thing , he's there but he isn't the main character, knuckles's is. He plays off knuckles super well and you get a sense of who he is and knuckles does too. While not going to say you are outright wrong. I will say a lot of peoples complaints for a while (  I Don't agree with this btw ) is that ian doesn't really write a good shadow. I disagree... highly, but recent events doesn't really disprove their statements I guess.

I want a story where he gets to talk to someone and actually get to give his perspective on things. He's kinda been all fight man , and he's more than that. He's one of the few characters who's actually a lot more than that and I would like that to have something done with it.

I think you are asserting what you think people are upset about over some of the criticism actually made. Unless Dash Speed just made the criticism you are criticizing, because i'm not reading that. You have fun with that .I'm not gonna do that. 

Is he the worst shadow in the world, Jesus christ god no. Has archie flashbacks

I feel like he's been a bit one sided.

I'm asserting it because the complaint can essentially be boiled down to "He's not how I want him to be, so therefore he's bad" which is ridiculous. 

I understand fans have their own interpretations of their favorites, but it gets to a point that anything that doesn't align with their specific views is deemed "out of character".

Fine, he didn't play as big a role as you would have liked, but 1) he has no reason to be so relevant here. 2) there's nothing wrong with him playing a smaller role.

He didn't need a bigger role than what he had, and he still was among the most featured characters just because of his personality alone.

And I'm certain he's going to play a major role later because its fucking Shadow; Ian isn't stupid, he knows how popular he is and how much his name sells and they already setup something with him and Whisper for the future. He's fine.

• Thumbs Up 5

41 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

See's that wall.

I think i'm gonna.... not engage that .

Anywho I think its funny shadow was already gone. And rouge is like " I don't know man just vanishes and doesn't listen "

I also like the idea of amy having to deal with pay out and possibly paperwork, I would like have liked it more if she was the leader of the resistance.. given she did most of the work , but fuck it

TBF that's totally on Sega. From what I remember (it's been a bit since I watched the cutscenes) in Forces she was basically the leader but for some reason they decided that was Knuckles role.

• Thumbs Up 1

No nope. I made some casual posts that were hopeful for the future. And i'm getting accused of arguments i'm not even making. Ya'll can be aggressive somewhere else . I"m done

9 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

TBF that's totally on Sega. From what I remember (it's been a bit since I watched the cutscenes) in Forces she was basically the leader but for some reason they decided that was Knuckles role.

That's shitty

No one is being aggressive to you, and if you feel you aren't being understood then perhaps you aren't communicating your argument properly?

Because hey, maybe we ARE wrong, but you're really not doing a good job of convincing anybody otherwise, and it makes people less inclined to take your words seriously, especially when you just opt out at the slightest inconvenience.

I'm not even saying you're wrong, it's a minor debate on an online forum about a blue hedgehoh, it's not something worth getting upset over.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Eeeh, not...really?

I mean, Bean and I guess Zazz are definitely the closest to compare to, off the top of my head.

Bean and Zazz never worked together in a bid to be two brutes who worked for Eggman as dumb muscle. 

I'm not comparing their personalities. I'm comparing what their roles seem to be at this point in the story.

Personality wise, I don't really have anyone to really compare them to. The closest thing that comes to mind is rejected animal recruits of the Ginyu Force.

24 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Dude, we're 12 issues in the book, and the majority of all of that was spent dealing with the aftermath of Forces' story, establishing Metal Sonic's plot, and then this entire battle arc.

I think this is something people tend to overlook. People seem to be expecting a fully realized continuity to just exist already. Yes you can use Transformers or TMNT or Ghostbusters as examples of books that had their universes already defined except...

• Transformers started with a couple six issue miniseries with the spotlights to flesh out the massive amount of characters
  • TMNT had the Micro-Series issues than helped expand on the story of the main book
  • Ghostbusters...is freaking Ghostbusters. If you've seen the movies and played the game you know what you're in for

But Sonic is coming in with just the 12 issues and like Ghostbusters it's continuity is following off from that devised by the parent branch. 12 20 page issues to follow up on the events of a game most people hated and introduce the world and characters to new readers and bring in new characters and set up storylines for the future is hones honestly way harder than people are giving it credit for.