Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

4 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

In the contrary I think Sonic Team is very satisfied with the comics, Iizuka loved Ian's pitch, and Uekawa did a cover and says he's a fan. The problem is that the official twitter doesn't post anything about the comic!

Yeah I have no idea why. they do consider the comic as means to promote the games and maybe therefore dont see that they should promote it? or...Licencing issues with what they are allowed to promote because IDW wants to promote it only?....Yeah I am grasping straws I have no idea why this is. Maybe because the Mania-Adventures are bit more closer-tie-in to the game (Sonic Mania)?

• Thumbs Up 2

This reviews sums up some of the problems with the worldbuilding:

https://reviewersunite.com/2019/01/22/super-comics-sonic-the-hedgehog-idw-12/

" While I do want the world of this comic to expand and for there to be new surprises out there, I don’t want it to keep feeling like the world is only what it needs to be for any given issue because that’s kind of what they’ve been going with so far and I just don’t have any investment in it.  This is probably why the Sonic parts of this issue fell so flat, because we’re SUPPOSED to feel triumphant in this moment and yet it all feels kind of hollow.  Hopefully this is something they’ll improve on over time and at the very least the writers seem to be heading in the right direction for the time being!  "

• Thumbs Up 1

Totally left field statement, but due to conversations elsewhere I find myself feeling kind of disappointed that due to how SEGA desires the franchise to be handled that we probably will never see little one off what-if stories just to play with different concepts within the franchise that couldn't normally be explored.

• Thumbs Up 2

32 minutes ago, Sonic Fan J said:

Totally left field statement, but due to conversations elsewhere I find myself feeling kind of disappointed that due to how SEGA desires the franchise to be handled that we probably will never see little one off what-if stories just to play with different concepts within the franchise that couldn't normally be explored.

Yeah, seriously.

...Is there mandate for that type of thing?

5 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

In the contrary I think Sonic Team is very satisfied with the comics, Iizuka loved Ian's pitch, and Uekawa did a cover and says he's a fan. The problem is that the official twitter doesn't post anything about the comic!

I wanna be fair, Ian flynn has a job and he's not gonna say " Working with sega has been shit " , he will use other phrasing, which he has. Now do I think everything has generally been fine? I think and hope so. At the same time I'm not saying Ian is a liar, he just... has a job and he's not gonna call out his bosses. But Ian has made it clear its not easier to worth with sega, its different.

So again, not saying like... Ian flynn is a liar, he just has a job and he's not gonna tell you untill WAY after the fact when he can't be held to accountable that maybe sega asked for some shit that messed up some story ideas he had.

2 hours ago, Sonic Fan J said:

I agree

Give me the story where cream makes shadow put money in the swear jar damnit

That review does bring up a good point about the book...it definitely feels like the games...which me and the world is really underdeveloped and half baked.

That's fine for a video game, but serialized book kind of needs something more meaty. 

Well my issue 12 finally turned up , man it feels like it’s been ages since the last issue. Just gotta say I thought 12 was one of the best issues yet. Really good interaction between the characters , looking forward to the next chapter in these comics.

Has anybody bought the single issues off Amazon? I'm thinking about doing that but I want to know if they're good about delivery.

40 minutes ago, Jack the Shadow said:

New solicits are out.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/01/25/idw-april-2019-solicits-launches-dick-tracy-forever-1-by-michael-avon-oeming/

They reveal a new miniseries coming this summer about Tangle and Whisper! It's a surprise that comic exclusive characters get their own stories honestly. They are THAT popular.

Oh...that's, er,...unexpected.

Granting, is this something IDW tends to do with some of their properties?

>Archie-exclusive characters needed to have a game character attached to their stories to meet Sega approval.

>First major IDW-exclusives lead the first ever miniseries.

Ouch.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1
  • My Emmerdoods 3

Difference between the FFs and these guys is that the FFs were considered irrelevant at that point, while Tangle and Whisper are more like Sticks for IDW. 

Either way, it seems the publisher is pushing them hard. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

I went to PreviewsWorld and didn't see a Tangle and Whisper Miniseries? Why is it only on Bleeding Cool?

The mini-series itself isn’t due until the summer. Though I can’t see the one-shot there either.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, VEDJ-F said:

That's what im reading it as. Hopefully that doesnt make people hate em. Sometimes you push to hard and it falls off the table. More importantly though, mini series, cool hope they do others. The chaotix were built for this

I’m pretty happy that IDW is confirmed for annuals and miniseries now. Feels like Sonic is actually getting good representation and respect by IDW where with Archie, the series had been getting pushed more and more into the background to lead the way for the Archie reboot. Just makes me sad that Mega Man is still stuck with Archie.

On that note - on one hand, I’m happy to see Tangle and Whisper get some long awaited dedicated screen time, but I do got to admit I would’ve preferred a mini-series for one of the main cast before veering into the original characters. Specifically I would’ve loved to see maybe a Blaze/Silver mini-series dealing with some kind of threat in the Sol Dimension, or some such. 

Either way, this is neat and gives me serious Sonic Universe vibes, makes me wonder if they’ll consider a Universe revival if the mini-series does well.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I’m pretty happy that IDW is confirmed for annuals and miniseries now. Feels like Sonic is actually getting good representation and respect by IDW where with Archie, the series had been getting pushed more and more into the background to lead the way for the Archie reboot. Just makes me sad that Mega Man is still stuck with Archie.

On that note - on one hand, I’m happy to see Tangle and Whisper get some long awaited dedicated screen time, but I do got to admit I would’ve preferred a mini-series for one of the main cast before veering into the original characters. Specifically I would’ve loved to see maybe a Blaze/Silver mini-series dealing with some kind of threat in the Sol Dimension, or some such. 

Either way, this is neat and gives me serious Sonic Universe vibes, makes me wonder if they’ll consider a Universe revival if the mini-series does well.

I'm Sure those are to come,  and If the mini series does well... you wont need Sonic universe?

Hypothetically speaking, mini series is a more flexible concept. Like you can just put " Knuckles " on the title and it can be as long or as short as you need it to be, and if it gets to be really popular... you can just make it a regular other comic.

8 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

I'm Sure those are to come,  and If the mini series does well... you wont need Sonic universe?

Hypothetically speaking, mini series is a more flexible concept. Like you can just put " Knuckles " on the title and it can be as long or as short as you need it to be, and if it gets to be really popular... you can just make it a regular other comic.

Not really? TMNT ran on miniseries for a long while, before then making a spinoff called TMNT Universe to cover additional information and stories that tied into the main book, and this was running whilst miniseries were still happening too.

Just now, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Not really? TMNT ran on miniseries for a long while, before then making a spinoff called TMNT Universe to cover additional information and stories that tied into the main book, and this was running whilst miniseries were still happening too.

Forgive me if I'm the most familiar with the TMNT universe but I feel like the set up here is bit different. I feel like sonic has a core set of characters that if people care about enough and the book is good, they could probably just spin it off into its own thing. 

I think in this scenario, the mini series would be more flexible. You can keep around, bring em back, and if they are popular enough make them their own thing

27 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Difference between the FFs and these guys is that the FFs were considered irrelevant at that point, while Tangle and Whisper are more like Sticks for IDW. 

Pretty much.

I'll at least give Whisper credit that she was introduced in a mostly timely manner with an actual story to tell, but overall, I'm not sure what to think about the wisdom of doing this right now.

28 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

More importantly though, mini series, cool hope they do others. The chaotix were built for this

23 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I would’ve preferred a mini-series for one of the main cast before veering into the original characters. Specifically I would’ve loved to see maybe a Blaze/Silver mini-series dealing with some kind of threat in the Sol Dimension, or some such. 

Oh, definitely!

People have been wanting more focus and limelight on the rest of the cast for a good while now.

4 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

I'm not sure what to think about the wisdom of doing this right now.

Their editors/ people at IDW want to push them, they are girls and they like pushing girls and there aren't a lot of sonic characters who are girls. They fit under both categories.

That's it.

39 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I wish someone else would get the Mega Man license. It's been like 3 or 4 years since Archie "went on Hiatus" so they can't possibly have the rights anymore. Although I worry that Udon would pick up the rights and they've been basically doing nothing with Street Fighter lately.

On Topic though my only real issue with the Whisper and Tangle miniseries is while I like Tangle I feel a Whisper and Shadow mini would have been a better idea. There's some story there that they need to tell.

2 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

I wish someone else would get the Mega Man license. It's been like 3 or 4 years since Archie "went on Hiatus" so they can't possibly have the rights anymore. Although I worry that Udon would pick up the rights and they've been basically doing nothing with Street Fighter lately.

Well, Archie are still selling Mega Man comics on their app, for what that’s worth. Though you have to actually search for them now.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Ernest the Panda said:

Well, Archie are still selling Mega Man comics on their app, for what that’s worth. Though you have to actually search for them now.

I really hope this is a sign the license is close to gone, wasn’t this was Sonic went through before delisting?

6 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

On Topic though my only real issue with the Whisper and Tangle miniseries is while I like Tangle I feel a Whisper and Shadow mini would have been a better idea. There's some story there that they need to tell.

I agree, but I think in this case what might make this work is that Shadow kind of still needs to have his Phantom Ruby clones addressed and Tangle is as much an audience surrogate as her own character so using her to explore more of Whisper and the actual war beyond what the game showed us doesn't seem like a bad idea.