Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

It's not the amount of conversations, but the quality of them as well. 

They...really haven't done much with Silver and Blaze, yet they're still paired together for the sake of convenience and referencing 06 and nothing else.

I'm not against the pairing, but it's got very little going for it outside fan interpretation. For reference, Knuckles and Rouge have had a more solid dynamic and they barely interact in the modern games anymore.

I'd be fine with them if they actually....did something interesting with the two, so hopefully this story changes that...and not try to force shipping because I've read his comic and oof.

8 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

It's not the amount of conversations, but the quality of them as well. 

They...really haven't done much with Silver and Blaze, yet they're still paired together for the sake of convenience and referencing 06 and nothing else.

I'm not against the pairing, but it's got very little going for it outside fan interpretation. For reference, Knuckles and Rouge have had a more solid dynamic and they barely interact in the modern games anymore.

I'd be fine with them if they actually....did something interesting with the two, so hopefully this story changes that...and not try to force shipping because I've read his comic and oof.

But... I'm pretty sure there is a general lack of character interactions in recent games, and personality in Forces case. Nothing is explored or fleshed out anymore sadly, so we should be against any pairings.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Jack the Shadow said:

But... I'm pretty sure there is a general lack of character interactions in recent games, and personality in Forces case. Nothing is explored or fleshed out anymore sadly, so we should be against any pairings.

There are foundations for certain dynamics in past games, which helps the audience understand how certain characters are connected.

Sonic & Shadow don't interact much anymore but basically everybody can tell you their dynamic based on their past interactions.

Silver & Blaze never interacted all that much, and the few times they did never really gave an idea on just what their relationship is supposed to be.

32 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

There are foundations for certain dynamics in past games, which helps the audience understand how certain characters are connected.

Sonic & Shadow don't interact much anymore but basically everybody can tell you their dynamic based on their past interactions.

Silver & Blaze never interacted all that much, and the few times they did never really gave an idea on just what their relationship is supposed to be.

The only times they interacted was Sonic 2006 (which erased itself) and Sonic Colors DS.

They basically dont know each other I dunno why everybody ships them.

I always felt like my take on the Blaze and Silver relationship of being more like siblings was always a strange one so it's kind of cool to see I'm not the only who got that feeling from it. As a result shipping them always feels weird to me, but as my first experience with Blaze was in 06 and not Rush, even though I knew about it and her role in it, I typically find that I prefer her in 06. I know that's a very unpopular opinion and that the whole reset of 06 wipes out that relationship but it's still my preference and as a result I hope with IDW they become friends with Silver's naivety but kindness resulting in Blaze using her experience to become that mentoring big sister to him. 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

Silver and Blaze have a sibling like relationship, THAT is why there paired up so much. Sonic 06 is just the introduction of that relationship.

I'm pretty sure I said that their interactions in Sonic Nex Gen were literally nothing. They don't talk to eachother without expositing and outside of Blaze calling Silver naive twice, there's no sense of any actual chemistry or relationship dynamic.

Yes, it's suppose to be a sibling relationship, woot. That doesn't mean it ended up being portrayed well.

They're paired off together because they just are, they have similar personalities and one has psychokinesis while the other has pyrokinesis. There's no other reason.

7 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

I'm pretty sure I said that their interactions in Sonic Nex Gen were literally nothing. They don't talk to eachother without expositing and outside of Blaze calling Silver naive twice, there's no sense of any actual chemistry or relationship dynamic.

They're paired off together because they just are, they have similar personalities and one has psychokinesis while the other has pyrokinesis. There's no other reason.

That's like your take on it man, I think so differently. Agreed to disagree. But having the comic acknowledging that they do officially have a friendship going on because, according to the official Sonic Team profiles that still exist,  (their sibling relationship) so it makes sense for the comic to show that too. Since its not the games it's pretty nice seeing it brought back under a new light/comic canon.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

You may not get any sense of relationship or dynamic from what 06 presented but that doesn't mean that others don't. I for one agree that Silver and Blaze have a sibling like relationship in 06 and that is actually part of what I like about the two characters is the naïve would be hero and the mentoring older sister who supports him just enough to let him realize his potential without totally faltering or messing things up. Sure you could probably accuse us of reading to deep into it, but if there is enough there for us to read too deep into would imply that here is some sense of the relationship that we see even you don't. Outright dismissing what others are feeling and/or observing just because you don't doesn't make for a good argument and makes any points or examples you bring up difficult to care for the party that you are trying to convince otherwise.

• Thumbs Up 2

I also liked their sibling-like/friendship relationship in 2006. Even if they didn't got that much time to interact one with the other, I kinda saw in the game how much they cared about each other. Blaze going to help Silver being the first thing she got to do when they got separated, Silver being heartbroken when she was sealed away even thought his future was saved… That was for me the best part of 2006. And I think that for many people, that created something interesting between those two characters. For some it was shipping. For some other it was a platonic "sibling" relationship, or just a friendship (these two visions are how I see it, personally). I can (theoretically) understand why some people don't really feel that relationship in 2006 (even if I think that we can portray how work a relationship within the small space we can get for that in a Sonic game), but I really think it's there in the game, and I can understand why many people liked it, as it was sweet and somewhat tragic.

I think that's why the fanbase really have kept this link and liked it. It's not just in the "shipping" thing, I remember that many Silver related fanwork involved Blaze in some points (for instance that nice Silver Worlds Collide fangame), same for other things. (and they are also kinda linked by both being ennemies of Eggman Nega, meaning that the link never was totally severed and they never become totally unrelated. And I would love that being handled in the comic-book, especially if they play with the two different origin stories of Nega, there are a lot of thing possible with that). And it's encouraged by the fact that even if they didn't get much time to really interact (which isn't surprising as there isn't many substantial interactions now), the ST link them together in many games… So there is everything for this link to be popular. Basically, there is still a "link" between them in a meta way, now what is missing is exploration of it story and character-wise.

Moreover, I think that linking their two is also interesting personality wise. They have common point yet are opposite. Even if both are serious about their mission, and a bit akward around others, they are really different in term of personallity (even more in the comics). While Silver is cheerfull, Blaze is more reserved. Silver in an extrovert, Blaze is an introvert. Both can help each-other and make the other grow. They can appreciate each-other yet might clash when it's interesting.

And I think that the tropes of "even if they have rebooted the world and lived through an entirely different life, some link is kept" have some charm, even if it's a classic.

• Thumbs Up 3

(Shrug) If people want to see their relationship like siblings, I'm not going to stop them. Everyone has their own headcanon. That said, you can't really ignore what the game actually shows you either (or lack therof) and substitute it for your headcanon.

But there's two reasons I'm really on board with Silver and Blaze.

1) As I mentioned, their sibling relationship is more informed than actual. It's hard for me to invest in a relationship that exists mostly as subtext among fans, especially since as I said, it's hardly ever shown off anywhere despite how accepted it is. It's pure fanon, which there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, but having it substantiated by any canon helps investment for me.

2) This is bias on my part, but Blaze has a much more solid relationship with Sonic and I'm more invested in those two. And unlike with Silver, their dynamic actually is substantiated by canon which helps solidifies it. 

As I said though, I'm not against the two and I hope this story can sell me on them together, because I want to like them. Build a solid foundation and I'll be much more ok with it.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

If people want to see their relationship like siblings, I'm not going to stop them. Everyone has their own headcanon. That said, you can't really ignore what the game actually shows you either (or lack therof) and substitute it for your headcanon.

The funny thing is my perspective is because of what the game showed me. Sure it's just my interpretation but it is informed by what the game showed so it's not that I'm ignoring what the game showed me since I could have never had the interpretation I do with out what the game showed me. There was no headcannoning involved in my case since I always honestly thought that was the effect that the writers and director had wanted to portray to me even when I first played it back when it came out. Of course having not seen Rush beforehand I didn't have a preconceived notion of who Blaze should be and so it might have just been easier for me to see. That or just because I've watched o many anime with very subtle relationship cues that I just picked up on it as being another such relationship. Regardless of why I saw it that way I still saw that in the game when I first played it back in 2006 because of what the game showed me so please don't tell me I just headcannoned something that I perceived in real time. Believe it or not but Silver's relationships are part of what made 06 enjoyable to me.

Yeah the thing is a lot of people did see that sibling relationship in Sonic 06, (and some saw it in Sonic colors ds??,) maybe not everyone but a few people who commented did, including myself. We can argue that its not there back and forth that's not going to solve or convince anyone, but at least its also confirmed by Sonic Team themselves that they have a sibling relationship , even if you dont think they did a good job with that it should at least be acknowledged and maybe it will be executed better by the IDW Team.

I for one really welcome it because if its just going to be Sonic + character interaction that might get tiring really quickly. Would love to see other characters interact among one another,  

25 minutes ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

I for one really welcome it because if its just going to be Sonic + character interaction that might get tiring really quickly. Would love to see other characters interact among one another,  

This is one of the reasons that I enjoy the idea of having annuals and miniseries as it kind of gives the structure that series like Sonic should have. The main stuff is his adventures, but everyone gets there time to be more in the supplementary material.

• Thumbs Up 6

I'm just too flat to see what you guys are seeing. I'm not interpreting anything, but I guess seeing what "could've been" actually happening "officially" is more than my heart can take.

Just to be clear, I never said they didn't have a sibling relationship in that game, I said it wasn't portrayed like at all.Which it wasn't, for reals.

On 2/1/2019 at 9:17 PM, Sega DogTagz said:

Amy's role as a leader figure makes sense on several levels. For one, her natural empathy and compassion wouldn't allow her to just walk away like other characters (*cough*Sonic*cough*) and she easily has the tenacity and stick-to-it-tiveness to see tougher more complex jobs all the way through.

Furthermore, Forces and the start of the comic has established Sonic and his friends as inspirations and idols to the masses, and Amy is the single most accessible member of the core cast. Knuckles is isolated on his island, Sonic is always god knows where and Tails stays busy with his science work. If the masses were to turn to someone to lead them, Amy would probably be the first name on their realistically achievable list.

Or you know, Sonic Team probably figured Amy just needs a main cast role because her obvious weaknesses are a hindrance to the boys in active combat and in fighting specialties, and last I checked Knuckles is more a charismatic and morale boosting figurehead in forces, because really, it's Amy Rose, who's gonna get motivated by her thats not a psychological wreck? I think you're overestimating Amy's token main female role as something pivitol to Sonic and others, if anything Rouge deserves to be one of the leaders of the resistance since she lead Team Dark and has strategic battle and data intell skills. Same with Blaze, Amy is hardly known for her intelligence and legit management skills, she's known as a chaotic love crazed fangirl with a violent temper who's compassionate and loving but very very irrational and pushy.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

I'm just too flat to see what you guys are seeing. I'm not interpreting anything, but I guess seeing what "could've been" actually happening "officially" is more than my heart can take.

On a more clearly stated position, if what was already there was better did'd, maybe I'd continue to not care and this wouldn't have happened.

Try not be so harsh on yourself. We all have different life's experiences which affects how we see the world and so for some of us it was just there as a result. From what I see the most common interpretation is that Blaze was stripped of everything that made her a great character and mindlessly shoved under Silver's boot as his useless sidekick. Here's the thing though, I don't see that at all in any capacity and personally prefer her in 06 to Rush. But that's due to my experiences shaping how I see things and there is nothing wrong with that being true for either of us. On the other hand though I can at least sympathize with your feelings of not wanting to see them together if it results in you having a negative emotional reaction. That's also fine and is more than enough reason for you to not want to see, give it or chance, or not see how others see it differently even when they explain it.

Sonic 06 was my introduction to both of their characters and Blaze was as dry as sand in that game. I understood she was popular but the reason why definitely didn't come through in that game. Silver wasn't a ton better if only because I could see what they were going for but the sloppy story-telling and the weird execution made it hard to fully appreciate it.

It took until the Archie Comics before I finally got around to liking him. Doubling down on his dorky naivety side really makes him endearing. Can't you just see the dude hanging from the school flagpole by his underwear?

15 minutes ago, Sonic Fan J said:

From what I see the most common interpretation is that Blaze was stripped of everything that made her a great character and mindlessly shoved under Silver's boot as his useless sidekick.

Not of everything. Now being useless is its own problem, but it's pretty much this:

In Rush She's stoic and reserved because she's shy and a bit tsundere...

In Nex Gen She's stoic and reserved...because she's the mature one.

I personally find the latter the more boring of the 2 especially when done badly. Usually I'm all for "potentially this could've been 1000%", but it came at the cost of changing an existing character.

It's not that Blaze is a worse character when with Silver, but she's extremely bland in 06 due to none of her prior story being referenced.

She just...exists. Nothing that people liked about her was present and it came off as Sega not really having any type of communication on who she was.

Rush and 06 were a year apart, but I suspect the developers wanted Silver to bounce off someone but rather than make another new character, they just used Blaze. But either because nobody was a aware of Rush or they just didn't give a shit, they never bothered trying to make her fit naturally.

And as a result, they ruined one of the few characters that actually liked.

I don't like Blaze and Silver together in anything because it reminds me of one of the many reasons I hate silver. And its not the reason you are thinking of

1 minute ago, Shadowlax said:

I don't like Blaze and Silver together in anything because it reminds me of one of the many reasons I hate silver. And its not the reason you are thinking of

What reason?

3 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Omega time?

Big and Cream most likely. However I wonder what would happen to Omega with the current storyline.

• Thumbs Up 1