Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

1 hour ago, silvereye27 said:

I sortof guessed that would be the case, Forces is the last mainstream game. Considering it's mediocre reception, it wouldn't surprise me if Infinite is shoved under the rug along with Mephilis and Black Doom, which is a shame since I think in a better written game or comic, I think Infinite could work.

To be fair to black doom, you could see him and they spun off new characters from him. Mephilies just strait up didn't show up. Hopefully with infinite its the former not the latter if it has to be that way cuz I thought his jackal squad was ok

10 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

Bumblekast update:

-There will be some more modern game characters.

While that's a blatant given even without Ian saying this, do you have a video and time code? 

Amy's been saving Sonic all her life, whatchoo talkin' about?

If it wasn't for her, he wouldn't be as fast as he currently is.

• Chuckle 1

I listened to the bumblekast, a few points:

- Ian says season 1 flew off really fast, and he's not used to that. He says this was an introduction to Sonic for a lot of new folks who joined the ride of the comic.

- He says Honey is likely restricted to the Classic canon as well (I'm sure she'll be in the next Classic game though), so no plans for her by his part.

- Season 2 will be nuts, no more introductions, some more Modern characters will show up that were supposed to make the cut in year 1 (guess Omega is still possible then). And most importantly he wants to raise the stakes, a lot. I'm sure this doesn't mean people will die (it's too early in the comic) but tbh I wouldn't mind that. Though I think it means simply that people will be infected.

This is all I think. Yeah... Season 1 was very basic and in fact I believe my least favorite issue was the first one, not because of Sonic & Tails interactions are boring, I think they are great together, I love their friendship but the issue didn't do much with them. Just not enough stuff, even though issue 3 has the worst art, still, it had Sonic fight new characters instead of random badniks. That said, while I love Battle for Angel Island, my favorite issue is still 6 :P

I know this will trigger most people, or they won't like that, but it touched complex themes in a natural way, it reminded me of the Mega Man comic and why people loved it, me included, plus it has Sonic-Shadow interactions and conflict, I love that, and it showcases Shadow being ruthless and his lack of morals, the differences with Sonic. And it did make people talk for half a year, so I think it even accomplished what Ian wanted, it's the most talked and controversial issue.

• Thumbs Up 2

11 hours ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Looks like Sonic got possessed by something and Amy is going to be the first one to see it now I would say that this could be marvelous but it has Ian Flynn writing it and I don't like how he writes. 

Spoiler

It would probably one of the signs of the virus showing effect if so. It's just assumption for now until we get to see it in form within #16

10 hours ago, silvereye27 said:

I sortof guessed that would be the case, Forces is the last mainstream game. Considering it's mediocre reception, it wouldn't surprise me if Infinite is shoved under the rug along with Mephilis and Black Doom, which is a shame since I think in a better written game or comic, I think Infinite could work.

Black Doom is dead and Mephilis was erased from time. What more could they possibly do?

5 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Black Doom is dead and Mephilis was erased from time. What more could they possibly do?

He was just stating that they aren't around and thus unavailable for use, with Infinite likely joining them.

These covers don't seem to stop coming. There seems to be a 3rd variant for tomorrow's issue 13 release which I didn't know was being done. This is coming from the previews for 13

Sonic_13-pr-2-666x1024.png

image.png.211789e34c2c7fb2c9dbf4a6e85c219e.png

I'm definitely wanting this now, but I've hardly seen any comic store having this available for order.

Edit: So from seeing this, it's supposedly a SEGA Shop exclusive like what they did with the issues 1 - 4 and t-shirt combo pack awhile ago

Edited by kimplix
Found out where it's being released

22 hours ago, Dash Speed said:

Or you know, Sonic Team probably figured Amy just needs a main cast role because her obvious weaknesses are a hindrance to the boys in active combat and in fighting specialties, and last I checked Knuckles is more a charismatic and morale boosting figurehead in forces, because really, it's Amy Rose, who's gonna get motivated by her thats not a psychological wreck? I think you're overestimating Amy's token main female role as something pivitol to Sonic and others, if anything Rouge deserves to be one of the leaders of the resistance since she lead Team Dark and has strategic battle and data intell skills. Same with Blaze, Amy is hardly known for her intelligence and legit management skills, she's known as a chaotic love crazed fangirl with a violent temper who's compassionate and loving but very very irrational and pushy.

True 

1 hour ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Apparently Issue 13 is out on Google Books. Does anything interesting happen on it?

Sonic dies.

The comic's been cancelled at the last minute and this is the final issue.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Way Past Cool 4

1 minute ago, Heckboy said:

Sonic dies.

The comic's been cancelled at the last minute and this is the final issue.

As well as Tails becoming depressed and losing all hope at Sonic's death abd... Wait a sec. Ive heard this somewhere before...

• Thumbs Up 2

21 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

To be fair to black doom, you could see him and they spun off new characters from him. Mephilies just strait up didn't show up. Hopefully with infinite its the former not the latter if it has to be that way cuz I thought his jackal squad was ok

Is that something that happens in the Archie run? I havn't gotten past something like #220, I know Black Doom is mentioned beforehand.

11 hours ago, SBR2 said:

11 hours ago, DabigRG said:

He was just stating that they aren't around and thus unavailable for use, with Infinite likely joining them.

Well, not exactly, I actually was meaning it in just examples of characters we know that Sega has deemed off limits. I'd forgotten both are basically dead, and that the IDW continuity is following the games. What I was meaning was that we know that during the Archie run, there is a letter out there which has a long list of characters and things that Sega has deemed out of bounds, with stuff like characters like Black Doom, Mephilis, the Sonic Underground siblings, and others not allowed to appear, as well as stuff like canon characters dating and Sonic not being allowed to do various things. My worry is that after Forces mediocre reception, it will be decided that Infinite will join that list, and will not be allowed to pop back up again in the future.

I suppose a far better example of this would be Eggman Nega, who I think is also on the list, at least according to this thread I think god knows how many posts ago.

50 minutes ago, silvereye27 said:

Is that something that happens in the Archie run? I havn't gotten past something like #220, I know Black Doom is mentioned beforehand.

In sonic universe later black doom is mentioned and shown, still dead though. And there are a bunch of spin off black arms. So seeing the character and spinning characters off is much more than mephilies got. And that's actually pretty relevant because according to ian, the original pitch for shadow's bad guy was going to be mephilies but sega said no.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

In sonic universe later black doom is mentioned and shown, still dead though. And there are a bunch of spin off black arms. So seeing the character and spinning characters off is much more than mephilies got. And that's actually pretty relevant because according to ian, the original pitch for shadow's bad guy was going to be mephilies but sega said no. 

I'll need to get back on reading the Archie Sonic stuff, that sounds really interesting.

Just now, silvereye27 said:

I'll need to get back on reading the Archie Sonic stuff, that sounds really interesting.

The things they do with the black arms prove that not only is the concept fine, provides a pretty interesting story and perspective for shadow and could be brought back in the games and done well.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Shadowlax said:

The things they do with the black arms prove that not only is the concept fine, provides a pretty interesting story and perspective for shadow and could be brought back in the games and done well. 

I guess it is a shame that Sega is determined to bury parts of the past that failed, when a lot of it could work under a new writer.

The concept doesn't have to be fine, plenty of bad ideas can be "made" into something that works.

The Black Arms conceptually are stupid, Archie comics just made them interesting enough to overlook that.

• Thumbs Up 5

21 hours ago, Jack the Shadow said:

- He says Honey is likely restricted to the Classic canon as well (I'm sure she'll be in the next Classic game though)

Um, why?  Honey never made it into the final version of any Classic game, up until hackers revealed her and then she was made playable in a rerelease, and that was a spin-off.  I do not expect Classic Sonic to get spin-off games these days, because most people who prefer it to Modern Sonic do so because it's limited to just what existed before Sonic Team started experimenting with other gameplay styles.

4 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

4 hours ago, silvereye27 said:

I guess it is a shame that Sega is determined to bury parts of the past that failed, when a lot of it could work under a new writer.

They have the same attitude towards gameplay experiments that weren't executed quite right, which really sucks.

4 hours ago, StaticMania said:

The concept doesn't have to be fine, plenty of bad ideas can be "made" into something that works.

The Black Arms conceptually are stupid, Archie comics just made them interesting enough to overlook that.

Well, quite a lot of things in this series are stupid concepts if one starts to think of them.  Or at least, many aren't especially original.  Also, I think Black Doom is the only part of the Black Arms I find truly stupid due to his combination of lame motives with unconvincing pretense of righteous indignation, and the clumsy retcons to the backstory to bring him in.  Absent those bits, the worst the Black Arms would be is generic.  Maybe not a source of interesting characters, but at least a different sort of personality-less mook than we usually get in the games.

Okay issue #13

First thing: Windmill Village (wait, didn't Tinker build it recently?), Barricade Townand Elder Scruffy. Boy Flynn suddenly retconned bunch of names on things we seen in Year One.

Obviously that's a plus, I just hope the locations will have some visual flare as well. Maybe Barricade Village will stay as a big fort, Windmill Village could have some machines from Tinker, etc. That would be cool

As for story

Spoiler

Core of the story is Year One standard: cute art, cute interactions, smashing small threats. Apparently next issue will be Starline (neat) and Metal Sonic... I love the dude, but isn't just a little early? Come on Flynn, you just repeated Rough & Tumble.

Highlight of the issue is Tails throwing projectile back. That should give you the idea how story looks.

Other than that:
- Amy now leads "Restoration". Ironically it's much better name than "Resistance". Like people said, it's not a bad idea. I just hope she's not becoming Sally 2.0.
- I like where things with Starline are going. I'm guessing when this arc is over he will be completely disappointing with Eggman's methods and quits his job. It goes slowly, but.
- My second call: This not-robotization is what ruined Silver's future. After all our future hedgehog mentioned water and metallic plants. Only question what will happen to animals and machinery. (BTW, metal animals make me thing of those spooky skins from Sonic Heroes)

Spoiler

image.png.5399f8cd2bec336f5457f2bd2a8937e5.png,

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, Gumbit said:

Amy saved Sonic from prison in SA2 .

Yeah but its the first time to see her save Sonic in IDW, (if I am not mistaken!)