Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

1 hour ago, StaticMania said:

What's happening here is like the exact same thing as roboticization, the games in no way can convey the same type of process through any lens as it is a plot point in Adventure that they do just pop out of the robot. Although...in a way, animals actually being the battery for Eggman's robots is technically worse, the games will never focus on that aspect obviously.

I'm not arguing that it could happen.

Although, I don't see why the fact he puts them into the robots in the games means he could never do something like the Metal Virus in the games as well either.

Just now, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Although, I don't see why the fact he puts them into the robots in the games means he could never do something like the Metal Virus in the games as well

I didn't say it couldn't happen, you mentioned how it was portrayed in Lost World could've been different to what it actually is, I was saying that...that couldn't be the case.

If they do something like this, it'll most definitely work differently and be portrayed as such.

I didn't say it couldn't happen, you mentioned how it was portrayed in Lost World could've been different to what it actually is, I was saying that...that couldn't be the case.

If they do something like this, it'll most definitely work differently and be portrayed as such.

You're confusing me. I don't know what it is you just said.

I was responding to a post where a guy was saying that what Eggman was doing here was pretty much the same in the games and that he didn't see much of a difference. I was explaining why it was different, mostly by highlighting the portrayal.

What is it that you were trying to say in response to that again?

12 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I remember one of his goons back in the Archie days being paralyzed for failing him and he was locked away while at the same time being made fully aware of what was going on around him. He couldn't speak. He couldn't move. However, he was still cognitively present. And Eggman just sent Orbot and Cubot to lock him away with little evil sparkles in their eyes. He's really damn ruthless. 

I like it.

Dude you forgot the best part. Not only did he do all of the above, but he did so in front of his entire assembled team of EggBosses, just so each and every one of them fully understood what they were dealing with. No only did he do the unspeakable, but he doubled down and leveraged the act as a threat and a visual example to bend some of the strongest fuzzies on the planet to stay in their lane and do as he said, when he says it.

That's what I have grown to love about Ian's Eggy. Its not just that he does the bad things, but he turns those bad things into ammunition by playing up the psychological impact. Most everything he does is calculated through the physical gains as well as the mind games it plays on the heroes and villains around him. Its just as important to let everyone around him understand that they lost as it is for him to just win.

Across the board, Eggman is the best, most consistent character. I think Ian can lay claim to the best version of the best character.

4 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

I think Ian can lay claim to the best version of the best character.

Hahaha not even close

Robotnik.png.cb6e51798df02b82ccbe2dad885f15c6.png

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 2

4 hours ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Here's the thing, this isn't a continuation of Archie. It's an entirely new storyline that takes place in a different universe.

So yea, you kind of need to establish your setting and characters to garner interest.

Because then it begs the question on why care about anything that's going on besides the art being pretty. If you aren't already a fan of Sonic, then this book isn't giving you much reason to stick around 

That's not saying the book is bad right now, but its painfully mediocre and by the books. There's nothing really interesting or gripping unless you're already a Sonic fan and just love character interactions. But good storytelling needs way more than just that.

I think it's fairly general as to what the expectations of this comic is, but I'll go ahead and address them here:

1. A number of people here are people who read Archie. And given how that ended slowly and unexpectedly, many of us were left without a home until IDW got the license and actually got started. Thus, there's some inherent void filling there.

2. It is being head written by Mr. Ian Flynn the Potto, who has a particular styling and long reputation by this point that he carries with him, for better or worse. 

3. Something that I believe applies to both IDW newbies and Archie veterans: a number of people here have admitted that they view comics as something of a safe space compared to the games. Whether it be a reliable tiding over in between releases, lovingly welded structure in lieu of relative little stability, spotlight for favorites that otherwise don't see much, or "redeeming" certain elements in the eyes of the masses, the comics are where people flock to get what they aren't in the official games.

4 hours ago, Jack the Shadow said:

Which begs the question... How would we improve the book, how could it be improved? I actually want to hear some constructive suggestions. As for me... I have to think about it.

I'll have to get back to you on that right now.

4 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

-Explain why is Starline even trying to help Eggman?? I get Rough and Tumble because Sonic kicked them out of their town, but what does Starline gains from helping Eggman?

Because he's made a career out of studying him from afar and now gets to work directly alongside him.

4 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

-Make the next new characters more colorful. So far all the new characters are pale and grey.

Oh my goodness, you're right! 

I mean, Rough is technically a dull indigo, but yeah.

I do hope Starline deserts from Eggman at the end of this arc; he's already starting to doubt him and it's clear Eggman is nowhere near as pragmatic as he thought he was. The seeds of doubt are planted. 

I just hope this doesn't become another Snively situation where his only purpose is to make Eggman look better as a villain. 

• Thumbs Up 3

4 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

I would like ... to say I enjoyed this comic. In isolation. I thought it was quite good, in fact a much better version of issue 6 in terms of concept and pacing and the fight. People doing battle somewhere while eggman or the true villain at the time is figuring out greater plans. Simple premise executed in a nice way

...Wait, huh?

2 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

This isn't a primarily IDW thing, but I still think the best example is this:

200?cb=20141126210053

The ending of Scrambled fully went on this whole idea of Eggman being goofy, but also scarily confident, competent, and probably the scariest fact - able to think on his feet and employ his genius for last minute plans much like Sonic can work on impulse. It's all shown off perfectly at the end when Eggman has done something pretty horrifying, making a robotic double of Snively, using the fake to trick one of the few people who actually likes Snively to work for Eggman in his empire, and then locks Snively up on a deep dark corner of the Death Egg to wither away while being forced with the knowledge that his best wasn't enough, and no one will ever save him.

But then Eggman also treats the entire situation like some kind of kids game, like hide & seek or tag, gleefully mocking Snively for throwing his best shots at him, and still not doing enough, being also revealing Snively helped him plow through GUN's forces, and recapture some kind of control over the world, before leaving him alone in this dark room simply saying "Thanks for Playing". In my opinion, it's the perfect encapsulation of Eggman's nature, and a perfect combo of both sides. Yeah, Eggman is a giant ham, yeah he acts like a child, yeah he overacts and whatever else, but he's also a very efficient genius - not just mechanically, but methodically as well, capable of bending situations to his favour and employing last minute plans to his advantage, and when both sides cross over, it works to some pretty damn chilling effect. 

Also, he figured out thats where Hope is.

53 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

The way it's being presented both here and especially in the Archie books is far more upfront with the brutality behind what he's doing. The games take steps to ensure that he doesn't have scenes of outright torture or individual scenes of him gleefully punishing someone in an excessive manner. I remember one of his goons back in the Archie days being paralyzed for failing him and he was locked away while at the same time being made fully aware of what was going on around him. He couldn't speak. He couldn't move. However, he was still cognitively present. And Eggman just sent Orbot and Cubot to lock him away with little evil sparkles in their eyes. He's really damn ruthless. 

Oh yeah, "Tassle-boy." Who was later given to Maw to use as a metaphorical guinea pig.

...You know, unless he actually was a guinea pig.

2 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

...Wait, huh?

I dunno man

I feel like its kind of the same set up, but just illustrated and told way better. My biggest issues with issue 6 is that the entire issue feels like nothing matters and the fight is bad, the fight is good here and while the actual fight doesn't really matter much in the grand scheme of things its fun shows you who rough and tumble are and it sprinkles importance through out the issue instead of the last page.

30 minutes ago, Heckboy said:

Hahaha not even close

"CHOPPED CHICKEN-BRAINS!"

2 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

I dunno man

I feel like its kind of the same set up, but just illustrated and told way better. My biggest issues with issue 6 is that the entire issue feels like nothing matters and the fight is bad, the fight is good here and while the actual fight doesn't really matter much in the grand scheme of things its fun shows you who rough and tumble are and it sprinkles importance through out the issue instead of the last page.

Oh, okay.

...I guess.

I dunno the issue just makes me feel some hope for the future. It feels like it literally directly addressed I had with to be quite honest, a few issues last year.  The fights ( and sometimes... just action in general ) wasn't particularly the best drawn out and the pacing was such that there were long stretches where sometimes it felt like stuff didn't matter

This issue has been immediately better based and has better action

55 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

You're confusing me. I don't know what it is you just said.

I was responding to a post where a guy was saying that what Eggman was doing here was pretty much the same in the games and that he didn't see much of a difference. I was explaining why it was different, mostly by highlighting the portrayal.

What is it that you were trying to say in response to that again?

I thought you were saying that even though the cutscene was just animals being put into badniks on a conveyor belt, it might've been different in Universe...is that not what you meant by this?

1 hour ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

It's definitely not the same as what was being portrayed here. And if it was, it wasn't shown to us.

I thought you were saying that even though the cutscene was just animals being put into badniks on a conveyor belt, it might've been different in Universe...is that not what you meant by this?

No, that's definitely not what I was saying.

"It's definitely not the same as what was being portrayed here." Is referring to the animals being stuffed into robots not being the same as the Metal Virus. 

"And if it was, it wasn't shown to us." is me stating that if it is the same, it wasn't shown to us anyway so there's no point in assuming it could be similar.

I don't know where you got that I was saying it might have been different "in universe". Whatever that means. The thing I was responding to was about a comparison of how Eggman does things in the comics to the games.

Might be early/inopportune to be asking this, but how do you think Mr. Flynn would do writing a character like Zavok, for comparison?

27 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

I dunno the issue just makes me feel some hope for the future. It feels like it literally directly addressed I had with to be quite honest, a few issues last year.  The fights ( and sometimes... just action in general ) wasn't particularly the best drawn out and the pacing was such that there were long stretches where sometimes it felt like stuff didn't matter

This issue has been immediately better based and has better action

Oh, okay! That's more generally quantifiable. 

It was the specific comparison that was throwing me off.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

"It's definitely not the same as what was being portrayed here." Is referring to the animals being stuffed into robots not being the same as the Metal Virus. 

"And if it was, it wasn't shown to us." is me stating that if it is the same, it wasn't shown to us anyway so there's no point in assuming it could be similar.

Well alright then, that clears things up.

"In Universe" in the context that I used it there would mean what we see on screen isn't the same as what is actually happening. As in what we see is not as bad, think I might've used it wrong.

Getting back to you...

5 hours ago, Jack the Shadow said:

Which begs the question... How would we improve the book, how could it be improved? I actually want to hear some constructive suggestions. As for me... I have to think about it.

Okay, when you say improve, what do you mean scope-wise? Where? How? 

1 hour ago, Heckboy said:

Hahaha not even close

I do love this version. I'd still take Ian's over the boring do nothing SatAM version though. 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:
  Hide contents

Was Tumble's tail an Eggman version of Tails' weapon in Sonic Battle?

You know what, it might be the Magic Hook.

3 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Good lord, Ian Eggman is just as ruthless as ever. Extended scenes of torturing little animals. Truly horrific. 

I do tend to forgive the more ruthless nature of his version of Eggman considering how well written it is. If he were to ever start writing for the games, I'd probably opt for it to be toned down a bit but he works it well.

Yeah, I'm still enjoying this. I thought the issue was funny. Despite the interactions between Rough and Tumble, my boy Tails was the highlight here. His reactions and the way he handled himself was comedic in a way that felt like it appropriately knew how to utilize his standing as a little nerd.

I mean, you just know little algebra calculations are going off like fireworks in his head everytime he gets something thrown at him.

tenor.gif?itemid=6219070

Finally someone else recognizing the greatness of the MVP of this chapter.

"Do you want Rough or"
"Yes"

• Thumbs Up 2

I mean, Tails wouldn't really be able to actually fight Tumble...so he made the right call. Unless it was a tag team battle and I still can't see it happening.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, DabigRG said:

So, she was playable in a Classic spinoff.

Reveal hidden contents

+. Rough is the little gray-blue one, Tumble is the big beige one.

=. I think he's supposed to be a little of both--obviously intended to eventually branch off with his own thing, but for now is genuinely interested in working with Eggman himself.

-. It's likely because Sonic kinda wanted to step in anyway to cover Tails since Tumble had that hammer block thing. And out of universe, they probably didn't have this exact encounter [all the way] planned when they originally designed them and just wanted to squeeze the gag in when they did notice the opportunity. Also, Rough pretty much looks like an evil Tails anyway.

You missed my point.  Jack the Shadow said he was sure Honey would be in the next Classic Sonic game.  It's a safe bet that there is going to be one, given that Sonic Mania was very successful.  What is not a safe bet is that it will be a spin-off.  Classic Sonic got all manner of spin-offs pre-Dreamcast era because back then he was the Sonic, and at times popular enough to sell just about anything.  These days, though, it's Modern Sonic that gets the spin-offs and experimentation in the main series, while Classic Sonic is the branch that plays it more straight.  My question for Jack the Shadow is why he thinks a character made for a fighting spin-off is going to appear in what will most likely be Sega Genesis-style Sonic platformer.  Did he mis-speak?

I mean, Tails wouldn't really be able to actually fight Tumble...so he made the right call. Unless it was a tag team battle and I still can't see it happening.

Pretty sure he could, but what we got is fine.

About locations: What we need are memorable locations (which we don't have yet, but giving names is a start). In Archie Flynn started with already full world and in Reboot he took extra time to develop every place. Ironically to the point when we complained. Now that we switched from 4-parters to single issue stories there is little place to develop locations, focus is on characters. And let's be fair, that's improvement. What do you prefer, learn about Meropis-chao culture or see Tails be awesome? Compare it to Rotor in "Wave of Change" who in 4 issues he didn't do squat.
BUT
I don't believe those idea are mutually exclusive.Step One: Take any zone aesthetic and reshape it into a city. Step two: put that city into background of character-focus story. Step three: return location till new small pieces of trivia about it. Step four: profit, location  feels alive. If you have a time, make actual story about it.

On the other subject I really like to compare Sonic and Tails in this issue. In #1 Tails felt (just a little bit) like Sonic little copy. But here?

1.png.86563ee65ad0a11317383940979de78f.png2.png.1362629d39af5a5490090b6bc07decd9.png3.png.80a04b3498827788bb6a87c4f99e568b.png

Even when he's trying to look cool like Sonic, he's kinda dorky or over expressive. I love it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Probably helps that they were fighting...non robots together this time, there's more to react with another actual character there.