Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Yep. Okay, here is how to improve the book:

- Give world building meaning, as people said, epic memorable locations, not this that adds nothing. So far we are getting villages.

- Change the cast a bit, now we agreed that we need less characters, I believe Big and Sticks fit here as heroes, we already have a cast of villains, these 2 fit in this particular storyline because they live in the jungle, they can help locate the Final Egg Base (especially Big since it's in Mystic Ruins), and they tie with the nature vs technology and virus themes. But I'm sure Sticks will get replaced by Cream or a new character.

- Keep showing Eggman as a ruthless villain, he's delicious at it, as well as keep the characters being well written, it's good so far, but obviously not enough to carry a book...

- Make the story and issues structure not samey, change it, give more variety, this set up already reminds us of Season 1 so change it… I don't want the Whole book as Sonic and a friend fight badniks/villains. I thought issues 5-7 and 9-11 handled it pretty well.

- Less fanservice, don't give the fans what they want, Ian should follow his instinct and competence, not listen to the fans and try to please them, when it's not possible.

- Try to find a loophole for the mandates, for example I hate the 2 worlds thing but I'd rather have it explored, plus: How does Silver time travel? I thought with 2 hedgehogs and 2 emeralds in Sonic '06? Who does Team Dark work for in the animal world? Are they still free agents? What's the portal between worlds? Angel Island? Mystic Ruins? And will the Forces locations EVER be restored? Green Hill etc.? I'd love to know. This is actually what we need to know.

- More emotions and plot twists, mystery of course, which keeps the Readers hooked, less generic "fight the bad guy and stuff". Right now there is no mystery. Give us more complicated situations.

With that said, I am a fan fiction writer who's also planning a novel btw, but still, I don't think kids are not enjoying the book right now… it's simple, which means they probably like it.

Less fanservice? What exactly does that mean here?

Outside of references, there's nothing being done so far.

And fans don't want references, not at this point.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Scritch the Cat said:

You missed my point.  Jack the Shadow said he was sure Honey would be in the next Classic Sonic game.  It's a safe bet that there is going to be one, given that Sonic Mania was very successful.  What is not a safe bet is that it will be a spin-off.  Classic Sonic got all manner of spin-offs pre-Dreamcast era because back then he was the Sonic, and at times popular enough to sell just about anything.  These days, though, it's Modern Sonic that gets the spin-offs and experimentation in the main series, while Classic Sonic is the branch that plays it more straight.  My question for Jack the Shadow is why he thinks a character made for a fighting spin-off is going to appear in what will most likely be Sega Genesis-style Sonic platformer.  Did he mis-speak?

Oh, okay.

No, I was responding to you.

4 hours ago, Jack the Shadow said:

. But I'm sure Sticks will get replaced by Cream or a new character.

How do you "replace" Sticks, nevermind in that specific projection? 

- Less fanservice, don't give the fans what they want, Ian should follow his instinct and competence, not listen to the fans and try to please them, when it's not possible.

So...don't listen to you?

Okie dokie!

- Try to find a loophole for the mandates,

That's usually what he's been doing, to be honest.

I'm not sure about this comic just yet, but that is a thing he tended to do.

I actually like the little nods to the Games songs (I think that's the Fanservice we're talking about?) Ian's done this for awhile and it always puts a smile on my face honestly. Plus some of it like Rouge referencing the Never Look Back Lyrics I didn't even pick up on until someone pointed them out.

45 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

I actually like the little nods to the Games songs (I think that's the Fanservice we're talking about?) Ian's done this for awhile and it always puts a smile on my face honestly. 

I mean, he kinda had to jump on What I'm Made Of.

46 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Plus some of it like Rouge referencing the Never Look Back Lyrics I didn't even pick up on until someone pointed them out.

Hold up, when was this?

Came after reading issue 13

I actually enjoy it  and seems Ian writing shines outside the boundaries of game stories . 

I'm very glad to see Tails teaming with Sonic , knocking down rough , it shows his physical strength from his two tails ,  he wasn't much of nerdy boy in this issue . 

On 2/4/2019 at 11:13 PM, kimplix said:

Again, I'm all in for the three covers. Almost had accuracy of cover A from looks of it

FB_IMG_1549318179144.thumb.jpg.cbb46f5c33b4f0cd6cfb0dbfc356928e.jpg

FB_IMG_1549318181434.thumb.jpg.02d60f494ba4aa926914d94cba293748.jpg

FB_IMG_1549318183578.thumb.jpg.59f1140524657657476c9f8a66a5bbf9.jpg

Love the third one.

The Sonic & Tails vs Rough & Tumble fight was fun in issue 13.

Do you guys think the four extra pages actually helped the reception of this particular issue because, like, it had a bit more room to breathe? How many pages did the Archie Sonic generally have in comparison?

21 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Do you guys think the four extra pages actually helped the reception of this particular issue because, like, it had a bit more room to breathe? How many pages did the Archie Sonic generally have in comparison?

wasn't even aware there were extra pages.

I remember Archie used to have 24 pages back when I first started reading, around 2007 or so. Then it dropped to 22. By the end of its run it was at 20 iirc.

26 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Oh shoot, did it?

Well, yes then. Guess that would explain why it felt like a full story with two consistent focuses.

38 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Isn't that a good thing?

Not when it still felt as brisk as a twenty page comic. 

I hope Dr. Starline doesn't break up with Eggman so soon. It's been one issue and he already seems on track to be disillusioned with his hero.

On 2/5/2019 at 3:43 AM, kimplix said:

Again, I'm all in for the three covers. Almost had accuracy of cover A from looks of it

FB_IMG_1549318179144.thumb.jpg.cbb46f5c33b4f0cd6cfb0dbfc356928e.jpg

FB_IMG_1549318181434.thumb.jpg.02d60f494ba4aa926914d94cba293748.jpg

FB_IMG_1549318183578.thumb.jpg.59f1140524657657476c9f8a66a5bbf9.jpg

The second cover is pretty daunting and the third one is badass to be honest.

LMAO at Sonic's expression in that 

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, StaticMania said:

I hope Dr. Starline doesn't break up with Eggman so soon. It's been one issue and he already seems on track to be disillusioned with his hero.

Never meet your heroes or idols, as the old saying goes. Starline may try to make it work for a little while, but will strike out on his own eventually. Either that, or get infected by this nanite stuff. 

Also, I hope Ian actually keeps his momentum for Year 2. Because Issue 9 was also really awesome, like Issue 13. Yet it failed to deliver the hype. I'm cautiously optimistic about this year.

7 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Also, I hope Ian actually keeps his momentum for Year 2. Because Issue 9 was also really awesome, like Issue 13. Yet it failed to deliver the hype. I'm cautiously optimistic about this year.

I agree, I was only hyped during Battle for Angel Island, in which issue 11 was a bit disappointing. Issue 13 is great but no hype right now. I just hope they keep up the good work.

Actually way off the topic of the new comic content, why is the comic being split up into years anyway? I've never heard of a comic doing that, and it doesn't really lend itself to organic storytelling. 

6 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Actually way off the topic of the new comic content, why is the comic being split up into years anyway? I've never heard of a comic doing that, and it doesn't really lend itself to organic storytelling. 

Because people complained that the arcs were too long and weren't going anywhere most of the time, so shorter arcs are favorable, plus Ian doesn't have to plan for the long term (not necessarily) in case of bad surprises like in the past... Hopefully not. I do believe this is more of a TV structure, but still, this season arc has been hinted or connected since last year. So they aren't closed arcs, just shorter.

• Thumbs Up 2

I personally don't think the structure needs to be so rigid to allow the stories to be shorter. Just allow for titled arcs again, let them be 3 - 4 issues in length and then say "next year I plan for this, this and this (without actually giving away the story beats). Seasons are just awkward when the comic numbering system doesn't reflect it. 

Also here's a random thought; technically speaking, female characters are generally safer from this virus than male characters. Mind you, that's probably moot with the main cast since most body contact is on bare arms (which pretty much all of them have), and I have my own theories on who gets infected first which would also bypass any such defence, but still amusing. 

5 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

Maybe a contract thing

Allows them to dump versions of characters and story ideas people don't like or Include more of ones they do

Long yet contained storylines