Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

I do kinda wish the season structure was more like what Transformers did. A set amount of issues with some event that closes out one season. 

Like how MTMTE  told it story from #1-24 I think then broke for Dark Cybertron and picked up again for Season 2 which lasted until issue 55 and then the entire run of Lost Light is Season 3.

50 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Also here's a random thought; technically speaking, female characters are generally safer from this virus than male characters. Mind you, that's probably moot with the main cast since most body contact is on bare arms (which pretty much all of them have), and I have my own theories on who gets infected first which would also bypass any such defence, but still amusing. 

How do you figure that?

The virus can't get through inorganic material. Ergo, the more clothing you have, the safer you are. 

I wasn't really taking the "year one" "year two" stuff that seriously as labels, let alone how they're planning things out.

Though I have seen similar stuff before in comics, like Axel Alonso at Marvel referring to their relaunches / publishing initiatives as being kinda like a television seasonal format a few years back.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, VEDJ-F said:

The virus can't get through inorganic material. Ergo, the more clothing you have, the safer you are. 

This is some galaxy brain level of joking

Non sarcastic actual galaxy brain shit. I was not thinking of that

1 hour ago, VEDJ-F said:

Blaze is too OP.

• Promotion 1
  • Chuckle 6

I recall something that Ian said in the latest Bumblekast that there are things in the IDW that he was surprised that SEGA allowed and were receptive to. I forgot whether he was referring to the past issues or what's coming up, but I'm curious what those things are either way.

1 minute ago, Heckboy said:

Never seen a fandom more obsessed with licensor mandates than this one. Weird.

I'm not complaining, I'm just curious.

1 minute ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

I'm not complaining, I'm just curious.

I get it, and I'm not like calling you out specifically or anything. But I dunno, it's just weird how often this topic comes up.

To give some credit, I think Sonic was in a very unique position compared to most other comics. You had literal decades where the comic had next to zero oversight from the licencor (aside from a seldom done poke to promote their latest game), then after some shenanigans they clamped down on aspects finally. Problem is that fans of the comic which had become very different from the games then had to snap back to realign whether they liked it or not. And playing the waiting game to see if some of them could be lifted to go back to the way it was didn't work; they've only gotten stricter really, to the point where characters who were a team in pre-reboot Archie can't even exist in the same universe now.

Most comics do one of two things;

1) Set the ground rules from the start and watch the content, which keeps things consistent provided it stays within its own continuity (this is most licensed stuff). 

2) Embrace the massive amounts of changes with a continuity and tone that can chop and change any time (this is mostly your big self-published books by DC and Marvel). 

Sonic didn't do either, only going with option 1 less than six years ago (with a year-long gap in there for good measure). 

• Thumbs Up 7

9 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

7 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Blaze is too OP.

Tangle has a martial arts inspired outfit and Whisper has an outfit of her own with a poncho. They will also be fine.

Real talk if that is going to be the case that'd be hilarious.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Fusion-Ellipsis said:

Tangle has a martial arts inspired outfit 

Oh, is that what it's supposed to be? 

Anyway, I was thinking of major game character.  

Read  number 13 yesterday and I've gotta say I'm pretty curious as to what this Dr Starline's real deal is. He came out of nowhere and has whittled his way in flawlessly. Anyone feel the same? or am i reading too much into it?

4 minutes ago, Eurisko said:

Read  number 13 yesterday and I've gotta say I'm pretty curious as to what this Dr Starline's real deal is. He came out of nowhere and has whittled his way in flawlessly. Anyone feel the same? or am i reading too much into it?

He seems genuinely invested, both personally and productively, in enabling more of Eggman's operations, so while I'm sure there might be an underline extra motivator for doing so, it just comes off as him having been intrinsically prepared.

• Thumbs Up 4

2 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

He seems genuinely invested, both personally and productively, in enabling more of Eggman's operations, so while I'm sure there might be an underline extra motivator for doing so, it just comes off as him having been intrinsically prepared.

Agreed. He certainly seems to now what he's doing for sure. I believe there will be a reveal about him of some sorts that will be bad news for everyone.

19 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

To give some credit, I think Sonic was in a very unique position compared to most other comics. You had literal decades where the comic had next to zero oversight from the licencor (aside from a seldom done poke to promote their latest game), then after some shenanigans they clamped down on aspects finally. Problem is that fans of the comic which had become very different from the games then had to snap back to realign whether they liked it or not. And playing the waiting game to see if some of them could be lifted to go back to the way it was didn't work; they've only gotten stricter really, to the point where characters who were a team in pre-reboot Archie can't even exist in the same universe now.

Most comics do one of two things;

1) Set the ground rules from the start and watch the content, which keeps things consistent provided it stays within its own continuity (this is most licensed stuff). 

2) Embrace the massive amounts of changes with a continuity and tone that can chop and change any time (this is mostly your big self-published books by DC and Marvel). 

Sonic didn't do either, only going with option 1 less than six years ago (with a year-long gap in there for good measure). 

Penders wouldn't get away with half the stuff he did nowadays.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 2/10/2019 at 1:28 PM, DabigRG said:

Oh, is that what it's supposed to be? 

Anyway, I was thinking of major game character.  

Ian said at some point that it was based on Bruce Lee in Game of Death. This was about when Tangle made her debut. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, HywelAtTheMoon said:

Ian said at some point that it was based on Bruce Lee in Game of Death. This was about when Tangle made her debut. 

Oh. Well that's an extra explanation for why I don't remember.

I'm interested in this years storyline because it could be like a personal challenge for Sonic, run to survive. And I really hope Starline ties into Silver's plot. Besides that, a couple more characters and I'm intrigued by the Tangle and Whisper possibilities. Ian is slowing down this time, but seems like in the past few issues, he started to raise the stakes and start building a proper storyline for the comic. I'm interested...