Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

On 2/10/2019 at 2:37 PM, Zulon Eredas said:

Penders wouldn't get away with half the stuff he did nowadays.

Honestly, a number of things Penders had done wouldn’t be too big an issue if he didn’t have his head too fad up his ass over them given that Sega wasn’t doing any better with the stuff they were doing with Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sega was doing human princess kisses with Sonic, so I agree, but honestly that doesn't justfy the mess of the comics between romance drama, recolors and Knuckles knock-offs. This thread is supposed to be about IDW though.

12 hours ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

Honestly, a number of things Penders had done wouldn’t be too big an issue if he didn’t have his head too fad up his ass over them given that Sega wasn’t doing any better with the stuff they were doing with Sonic.

Essentially.

Heck, there's a good number of things from his work on Archie that I legit enjoyed.

• Thumbs Up 3

I still think shadows treated with less consideration in this book compared to others. Teaming up with other main cast characters doesn't show me Ian's ability to acknowledge just how popular he is.

16 hours ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

Eh nah, the embarrassing stuff that happened in some of those comics beats the crap out of the games. I would take an akward princess kiss any day of the week over Tails being a creep, sonic being a generally awful human and literally using women and whatever the fuck was going on with fiona. Any day of the fucking week.

58 minutes ago, Dash Speed said:

I still think shadows treated with less consideration in this book compared to others. Teaming up with other main cast characters doesn't show me Ian's ability to acknowledge just how popular he is.

While i'm not particularly the most fond of his writing, I think he'll be fine. Just chill, now I can't tell you to wait untill the comic gets good but keep buying. So if this getting you so upset, you could just bow out for a while and duck back in when things seem interesting

1 hour ago, Dash Speed said:

Wow, you talk about Shadow here than SHADOWLAX does. Like, every time you're here, you always have something to complain about Shadow. It's sort of like how Fire-N-Space always obsesses with Amy on this thread. It's annoying, and it ends up creating a bunch of unneeded arguments clogging up my notifications.

• Thumbs Up 1

45 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Wow, you talk about Shadow here than SHADOWLAX does. Like, every time you're here, you always have something to complain about Shadow. It's sort of like how Fire-N-Space always obsesses with Amy on this thread. It's annoying, and it ends up creating a bunch of unneeded arguments clogging up my notifications.

I don't think it's necessary to provoke other members for what's an otherwise fairly innocuous post. If the notifications are that annoying to you, you can always unsubscribe from the topic.

Not like it's leaving the top of the sub-forum any time soon.

• Thumbs Up 2

We're still in a very different and unique position as far as Sonic comics go. There's been a soft-reboot and changing hands as far as writers are concerned but this is the first real do-over we've had. Or at least the first in a very, very long time.

Sonic Universe was a branch of the main comic and both Sonic X and Sonic Boom were basically slice-of-life, comedy books with story arcs that never stretched past two issues. 

Without knowing what's allowed and what isn't, the knowledge that I'd probably have started differently and done things a different way probably doesn't mean much of anything. I don't know the ideas behind the set-up or intended execution or even if there's a long term plan. That feeling of being in the middle of something sprawling and epic that's lasted and developed for a long time isn't here anymore. It feels weird to think about but we're gonna build up to that point all over again.

And when we do, I'll wonder if the older issues will have more merit or less. Will I still like them or will I view them like the beginning of the old Archie books where I just recognize them as the humble beginnings they were and move on?

Thinking too far ahead into the future again though.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

2 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

Eh nah, the embarrassing stuff that happened in some of those comics beats the crap out of the games. I would take an akward princess kiss any day of the week over Tails being a creep, sonic being a generally awful human and literally using women and whatever the fuck was going on with fiona. Any day of the fucking week.

Are we talking about that time when Sonic was still hurt over Sally and started going out with Fiona, despite knowing Tails liked her and not telling him he was going to do so, only for it to blow up in his face later after Scourge impersonated him and Fiona decided to join the villain side, along with the added baggage of "coming back the dead" and Tails' parents deciding to start a civil war after Eggman almost drained them of their life energy?

If so, it seems you're missing key parts of that story arc.

• Thumbs Up 1

54 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

Are we talking about that time when Sonic was still hurt over Sally and started going out with Fiona, despite knowing Tails liked her and not telling him he was going to do so, only for it to blow up in his face later after Scourge impersonated him and Fiona decided to join the villain side, along with the added baggage of "coming back the dead" and Tails' parents deciding to start a civil war after Eggman almost drained them of their life energy?

If so, it seems you're missing key parts of that story arc.

You trying to explain it doesn't make it better. Its still an awful misogynistic mess that personally I would prefer never came back

51 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

You trying to explain it doesn't make it better.

It's worked before.

52 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Its still an awful misogynistic mess that personally I would prefer never came back

...do you know what misogynistic means? At this point, I don't know which character or on what scale of this you're talking about.

24 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Maybe i'm reading it wrong and forgive me if I am, but it sounds like a bunch " you forgot about this part " excuses for what is... a misogynistic  story at its core. There was a lot of weird misogyny in the old archie comics and I did not care for it.

Well, instead of bringing up something and trying to label it as one thing, let's talk about it and try to understand new points of views on the story.

Maybe you're not reading it wrong.

A lot of events were going on at that time and multiple characters went through a lot of hardships.

Heck, Sonic got ambushed and kidnapped twice, Knuckles' race was enslaved, killed, or fighting in a civil war, and some characters, like Rotor, became physically or mentally handicapped.

An exact example of a page or issue of what you're talking about would help.

1 hour ago, Sonictrainer said:

It's worked before.

...do you know what misogynistic means? At this point, I don't know which character or on what scale of this you're talking about.

Well, instead of bringing up something and trying to label it as one thing, let's talk about it and try to understand new points of views on the story.

Maybe you're not reading it wrong.

A lot of events were going on at that time and multiple characters went through a lot of hardships.

Heck, Sonic got ambushed and kidnapped twice, Knuckles' race was enslaved, killed, or fighting in a civil war, and some characters, like Rotor, became physically or mentally handicapped.

An exact example of a page or issue of what you're talking about would help.

I do, and to give you the example... to be blunt the entire scenario. To break it down, into its purest form. Tails was upset he wasn't obligated to a girl, she was into some else. And he was rather creepy about it, and this girl despite reasonably being upset about being creeped on was literally and figuratively made the bad guy. The entire premise of at least that part of the story was tails being a simp. But we can go deeper than that. Heck when Scourge first got back it was weird when he was impersonating sonic... like very few of the women scourge decided to hit on ever questioned " Hey uh... sonic I don't want to be around you , you are acting hella weird " like none? Like none of these women have enough agency than to decide " hero , must kiss ". But how about when sonic feels in order to help his friend... he must date her... infront of him because.... that's how this works I guess. Or fiona's spontaneous and unwarranted bad guy conversion which really seemed like a half assed reason to make the girl who reasonably didn't want to hang out with sonic and tails.. the bad guy.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

6 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

Dude, that stuff is on the absolute low end of the worst Penders has done and no where near as damaging to Sonic’s identity as what Sega has done.

3 minutes ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

Dude, that stuff is on the absolute low end of the worst Penders has done and no where near as damaging to Sonic’s identity as what Sega has done.

Yeah it wasn't as damaging, because people didn't know it exists. But that doesn't stop it from being, at least in my opinion more gross and embarrassing than anything that popped in the games I can even think of. And it isn't just that, there are bunches of stories, weird lore and characters from that era that never read sonic to me, and I find more embarrassing than the dark period.

Now that said, does me finding them embarrassing mean they should be gone forever. No. If you want them back that's fine. I just think the comic has some uh, downs.

26 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

I do, and to give you the example... to be blunt the entire scenario. To break it down, into its purest form. Tails was upset he wasn't obligated to a girl, she was into some else. And he was rather creepy about it, and this girl despite reasonably being upset about being creeped on was literally and figuratively made the bad guy. The entire premise of at least that part of the story was tails being a simp. But we can go deeper than that. Heck when Scourge first got back it was weird when he was impersonating sonic... like very few of the women scourge decided to hit on ever questioned " Hey uh... sonic I don't want to be around you , you are acting hella weird " like none? Like none of these women have enough agency than to decide " hero , must kiss ". But how about when sonic feels in order to help his friend... he must date her... infront of him because.... that's how this works I guess. Or fiona's spontaneous and unwarranted bad guy conversion which really seemed like a half assed reason to make the girl who reasonably didn't want to hang out with sonic and tails.. the bad guy.

I mean, when you put it like that... :lol:

Like, I really don't remember/see the first and last things being that level of bad, but still.

1 minute ago, DabigRG said:

Does anyone else see misogynistic and sometimes read "missy-onic?"

Can sonic stand the rain, against his window.

• Chuckle 1

1 minute ago, Shadowlax said:

Can sonic stand the rain, against his window.

I don't know--he doesn't really have a house to potentially witness that most of the time. 

2 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

I mean, when you put it like that... :lol:

Like, I really don't remember/see the first and last things being that level of bad, but still.

That's totally fine, I mean its not fine in the sense someone wrote that gross shit, but in the sense that we were like 10 and didn't get a lot of it. But there was an era of just weird... gross stories like that. And sometimes they weren't gross, sometimes they were just wild misunderstandings of characters, failures of writing.

And i'll admit I have a bit of a personal bias in the sense that as a guy who came up in the adventure era, having the comic be nothing like the stuff you like is a really good way off putting you off from reading them. But I persevered but what I found when I did read them, was a bunch of stuff far more embarrassing than a lot of shit I have seen in the game.

Remember that time shadow became a dictator. Screw it remember the entire future arc? Yeeesh

Don't get me started on some of the art

23 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Yeah it wasn't as damaging, because people didn't know it exists. But that doesn't stop it from being, at least in my opinion more gross and embarrassing than anything that popped in the games I can even think of. And it isn't just that, there are bunches of stories, weird lore and characters from that era that never read sonic to me, and I find more embarrassing than the dark period.

Sounds a lot more like Sega with the games.

Which only reinforces the point that what Sega did wasn’t any better. In many cases, it was the exact same mess Penders did before Sega got around to doing it themselves, only with a different coat of paint and with franchise-wrecking consequences in their screw up which makes it worse.

Sega themselves were making a bunch of stories with weird lore that doesn’t read as Sonic in very glaring cases, and they weren’t doing anything any better by comparison. 

3 minutes ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

Sounds a lot more like Sega with the games.

Which only reinforces the point that what Sega did wasn’t any better. In many cases, it was the exact same mess Penders did before Sega got around to doing it themselves, only with a different coat of paint and with franchise-wrecking consequences in their screw up which makes it worse.

Sega themselves were making a bunch of stories with weird lore that doesn’t read as Sonic in very glaring cases, and they weren’t doing anything any better by comparison. 

No I don't think anything sega did reached the levels of weird inappropriateness the comic did i'm sorry. Shadow saying damn , and a weird princess kissing the hedgehog moment isn't the same as... any number of things the comic did to me. I'm sorry, but if it is to you, do you my guy

Heck i'm just talking about embarrassing stuff, i'm not even talking about some of the technical failures of this book at points. But again, if you disagree do you .

8 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

No I don't think anything sega did reached the levels of weird inappropriateness the comic did i'm sorry. Shadow saying damn , and a weird princess kissing the hedgehog moment isn't the same as... any number of things the comic did to me. I'm sorry, but if it is to you, do you my guy

And that is a very gross double standard you’re making, because anyone else can read that and see how inappropriate something like Shadow cussing like a sailor is. But I’ll let your words speak for themselves.

Heck i'm just talking about embarrassing stuff, i'm not even talking about some of the technical failures of this book at points. But again, if you disagree do you .

I’m talking about the fact that Sega were doing equality weird and unfitting stuff in the games, and how that doesn’t give any high ground to judge the weird stuff the comics did.

If you can’t understand that, then you missed the whole point from the start.