Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Hmm...

It was an alright issue I'd say. Probably the parts that I found most entertaining was Eggman still running tests on his virus after telling Starline they were done and Sonic pretty much forcing Amy to take to the field which she pretty much wanted to anyway based on her reaction.

As for the bulk of the issue, it kind of makes me feel like I'm back at issue 7. Sonic chats with Metal, learns that something big is going on but not what, and heads out again to learn more later. So far year two is feeling like a very fast tracked year one so I'm hoping that means things will start to be shaken up sooner than later and that we'll start to see some new things happening. It's not that I'm not entertained, but I feel like the formula could use something more just to make it feel more different.

13 hours ago, Fusion-Ellipsis said:

The last two pages-

Reveal hidden contents

latest?cb=20190227000329

latest?cb=20190227000305

Wait, as in end of the issue?

8 hours ago, Redbluethunder5 said:

Am I the only one bothered by the fact that Sonic doesn't seem to realize that this is all his fault for letting Metal go? Granted he doesn't know that Metal was the reason Eggman got his memory back but he doesn't seem to care that letting him go bite him back 

Well, Metal did smack his hand when he tried to part on peaceful terms. So it's not like he didn't see him wanting to fight him again coming.

11 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Wait, as in end of the issue?

As in the last two pages of the preview.

Also I think issue 15 would be the one where Sonic gets infected.

" The only one to have bested eggman through sheer skill alone" .What about litterally everyone else. What about the telekinetic.... right there.

What. I'm sure eggman has lost to a stationary chair at some point in his life. 

Outside of that... issue was ok... kinda boring, nothing happened really. You get an idea of eggmans motivations and that's nice

9 hours ago, Redbluethunder5 said:

Am I the only one bothered by the fact that Sonic doesn't seem to realize that this is all his fault for letting Metal go? Granted he doesn't know that Metal was the reason Eggman got his memory back but he doesn't seem to care that letting him go bite him back 

Introspection is weakness apperently

• Thumbs Up 1

Issue 14....meeeeeeeeeeeeh

It's pretty weak. Nothing technically speaking 'bad', but it's just boring. Plot pretty much didn't moved, the fight is pretty token and lacks strong jokes. I mean, Eggman is nicely psychotic and artwork is good, but that's step-down (and repeat) from last issue. Silver or Metal fans won't be satisfied (seriously, why even bring him back so early?).

There were worse issues, but they at least introduces new elements or had better artwork. (Or you know, were in Year One, so we baaed like ship that it will get better later. Ha!)

I don't even have anything to speak in spoiler box. It's just... eh.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Yes, you are the only one.

Good on ya, unique opinions.

You know, you don't have to be so harsh about it 

Finished the issue and its pretty good but also pretty perplexed at the development of Eggmans growing sadistic behavior, havent really took him serious as a bad guy anymore for years until this issue.

Spoiler

Even Starine is taken a back, also consider the cracked tank...I predict Starline got himself ancdiently exposed and will be the one who effects Sonic with the virus.

I enjoyed Starlight here. He's already the best Eggman partner. I know there was some above people saying "More people have beaten Eggman", but this is Starlight....he's going to build up Eggman, not shit on him. Makes sense to build up his rival and his role model, rather than pull an Orbot and Cubot. I like his portal thing and his planning ahead. He immediately shows he's more of an intellectual threat than merely physical. Physical is what Metal Sonic was there for. Also liked how the location was purposely made to make things harder for Sonic.

I also really like this Eggman. If only we got more of this guy. I love his mustache expressions and his sorta Joker like code. Like he knows he could kill Sonic easy, but it's not enough to do that. It's not very original persay, but it does also ward off some experiences like "Why not kill Sonic in his sleep or something".

Other than that.....eh. Sonic is Sonic, and Silver feels like he's just....there. The enemies focus is pretty much solely on Sonic and he happens to be there. Kinda undermines him in that regard. Though he shows his resourcefulness so it's not all bad. But because of the formula you knew EXACTLY where this was going to go with the beginning and end. So it leads to an issue with not very interesting heroes, but villains I'd rather be watching than them.

Oh and I got a spoiler for the next issue, and maybe the one after that. Sonic teams with "Insert Friend here", things happen and "Insert Friend here" shows off their personal trait/skill for a bit. Story ends and Sonic goes to team up with other "Insert Friend here."

• Thumbs Up 1

The new colorist is awesome and it's gonna be good to have him and Herms in the colors group!

Look at this gorgeous art, it's some of the best in these series including the colors (I cut out the spoiler parts of the panels)

Capture.jpgCapture2.jpg

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Fist Bump 1

It's not just the formula that's boring and repetitive, it's the main plot that moves very slowly right now. Needs more of a hook. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

Hide contents

Even Starine is taken a back, also consider the cracked tank...I predict Starline got himself ancdiently exposed and will be the one who effects Sonic with the virus.

Spoiler

I think Rough & Tumble will get infected with MV and infect Sonic in the process.

• Chuckle 1

8 hours ago, Meta77 said:

I love Sonic basically calling out and telling Metal that he has been downgraded. Neo was leagues more a threat than his beep boop self XD

Ch'yeah. And not because of chaos absorption or the dragon form, but because he can talk. :lol: 

Oh my gosh! Did Silver just go "AIIYIEEEEEE~!" when he got tossed? I can hear that in my head. What a dork. I love him so much.

Interesting character focused issue. Once again, I find myself really into the build-up. Hopefully the pay-off is more satisfactory when the storyline ends up where it needs to be this time.

I do like the fact that Starline didn't proclaim that he was going to defeat Sonic but was excited to find out if he could or couldn't. And of course Eggman's gotta be all abusive daddy about it. The adoptive son wants Eggman's attention but his favorite son is Metal Sonic, clearly. Poor duck-bill fanboy. 

Not a ton to talk about though.

Spoiler

I didn't like this issue it feels like its trying to hard to be serious. Silver gets thrown away to easily by Metal Sonic why didn't Silver control Metal Sonic like he did to Sonic in 06 and now Eggman wants to be the only one that kills Sonic which feels odd after telling the deadly six to kill Sonic in Lost World. 

Sonic and Amy's love dynamic is so uninteresting now Amy is completely devoted to her work every time she's in view having feelings toward Sonic only for a second. 

5/10

Spoiler

RCO024_1551295170dhdt.thumb.jpg.3381faefaaf00e7d51c9c0d97859027e.jpgRCO024_1551295170gg.jpg.20d91b3b5034478d9651904c5cc5c6a3.jpg

But the art still gets a 10/10 for this adorable scene!

6 hours ago, Jack the Shadow said:

It's not just the formula that's boring and repetitive, it's the main plot that moves very slowly right now. Needs more of a hook. 

Slow moving plots. Welcome to the world of Decompressed writing for trades storytelling made possible by Brian Michael Bendis.

Rant time, this issue I hate most of all because, it's getting very Lego movie in how some of the characters are tounge in cheeky, especally sonic when he gets the most focus and the action himself, he really is the least interesting character in this book. Sonic will keep being the best, and he'll keep winning with the same casually careless wiseass attitude, why the heck does he need to team up with his friends then, sonic vs metal just shows sonic as g rated deadpool who exists to express self impressive humor and humiliate everyone he fights while highlighting every chance how much a hero he is always matters.

Sonics dialogue still keeps getting more and cringy and dissonant to being a invested story character, he's basically turning into a parody of him self to help sell the comic to kids. Only Banter and smugness doesn't make a main character interesting, look at wally west and Peter Parker, characters that originate cracking jokes to anyone they fight, yet they have actual human feelings that drive their humor, sonic however is just a blank slate not driven do anything plot/character driven without getting in a fight or being a hero as a result of other characters, reacting to the situation with banter, quips, and cocky hero statements.

He's not even the main point of this story, his cast are more character driven than he is. Why is Ian choosing to set Sonic as the hero, if anything he does is reaction based on a villain or his cast goals or even the plot about them?

Sonic is not meant for ongoing plots, imo. He may be entertaining(sometimes) but he's just like joker,  deadpool and Goku, he's a plot device that gets to do anything based on having fun with how characters react to him. This is boring because it kill all tension and meaning for building up protagonist nareative.

Sonic doesnt even have a sense of character growth to promote Sonamy in this issue. The only thing that interesting about sonic is he's working together with characters that drive the plot with actual character development and investment in their journey, sonic is like a all powerful bystander that kills the tension and treats everything lightly with no accountability to care about learning with his partner to help stop a threat.

These types of protags is why fiction isn't a art form anymore. It's easily to create a hero who's only interest in fun and doing impressive feats, but it's wrong imo.

• Fist Bump 1

2 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Oh my gosh! Did Silver just go "AIIYIEEEEEE~!" when he got tossed? I can hear that in my head. What a dork. I love him so much.

Interesting character focused issue. Once again, I find myself really into the build-up. Hopefully the pay-off is more satisfactory when the storyline ends up where it needs to be this time.

I do like the fact that Starline didn't proclaim that he was going to defeat Sonic but was excited to find out if he could or couldn't. And of course Eggman's gotta be all abusive daddy about it. The adoptive son wants Eggman's attention but his favorite son is Metal Sonic, clearly. Poor duck-bill fanboy. 

Not a ton to talk about though.

There is a part of me that wishes so very hard for Silver to have performed instead Goofy's "AAAAAHOOHOOHOOEEE!" yell when he got tossed. 

Also, I liked the similarity of Eggman becoming furious at Starline with the Joker when Harley Quinn almost got the Batman. 

• Fist Bump 1

12 minutes ago, Dash Speed said:

Rant time, this issue I hate most of all because, it's getting very Lego movie in how some of the characters are tounge in cheeky, especally sonic when he gets the most focus and the action himself, he really is the least interesting character in this book. Sonic will keep being the best, and he'll keep winning with the same casually careless wiseass attitude, why the heck does he need to team up with his friends then, sonic vs metal just shows sonic as g rated deadpool who exists to express self impressive humor and humiliate everyone he fights while highlighting every chance how much a hero he is always matters.

Sonics dialogue still keeps getting more and cringy and dissonant to being a invested story character, he's basically turning into a parody of him self to help sell the comic to kids. Only Banter and smugness doesn't make a main character interesting, look at wally west and Peter Parker, characters that originate cracking jokes to anyone they fight, yet they have actual human feelings that drive their humor, sonic however is just a blank slate not driven do anything plot/character driven without getting in a fight or being a hero as a result of other characters, reacting to the situation with banter, quips, and cocky hero statements.

He's not even the main point of this story, his cast are more character driven than he is. Why is Ian choosing to set Sonic as the hero, if anything he does is reaction based on a villain or his cast goals or even the plot about them?

Sonic is not meant for ongoing plots, imo. He may be entertaining(sometimes) but he's just like joker,  deadpool and Goku, he's a plot device that gets to do anything based on having fun with how characters react to him. This is boring because it kill all tension and meaning for building up protagonist nareative.

Sonic doesnt even have a sense of character growth to promote Sonamy in this issue. The only thing that interesting about sonic is he's working together with characters that drive the plot with actual character development and investment in their journey, sonic is like a all powerful bystander that kills the tension and treats everything lightly with no accountability to care about learning with his partner to help stop a threat.

These types of protags is why fiction isn't a art form anymore. It's easily to create a hero who's only interest in fun and doing impressive feats, but it's wrong imo.

This is why Sonic needs to be capable of losing and showing weakness. As it is he's more logo than character.

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, Splash the Otter said:

This is why Sonic needs to be capable of losing and showing weakness. As it is he's more logo than character.

To SEGA, that's EXACTLY what he is. That's the problem; SEGA hates actual story and wants its characters to be as bland and boring as possible.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Skull Leader said:

There is a part of me that wishes so very hard for Silver to have performed instead Goofy's "AAAAAHOOHOOHOOEEE!" yell when he got tossed. 

Also, I liked the similarity of Eggman becoming furious at Starline with the Joker when Harley Quinn almost got the Batman. 

Ah man. That'd be adorable. It says something that I wasn't too big on Silver until Ian got his hands on him. I love dorky, awkward Silver. Those voice cracks he had in Forces just go in support of him being in those early teenage years too. 

And yeah, the Harley Quinn thing did come to mind. Though, Eggman was right about Sonic not falling to something so simple.