Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

1 hour ago, Tenko said:

Oh that's already starting...

Starting the royalties argument again and making up his own news about IDW wanting the back catalog even when all official word states "new adventures" etc

Poor IDW do they know what they have inherited along with the Sonic publishing rights...

"And another thing about Arch-what? IDW has the Sonic license for comics now? AND ANOTHER THING ABOUT IDW~!"

• Thumbs Up 4

On the subject of Archie characters:

They're good. They never really overshadow Sonic's shtick in post-252 (well, universe, but that's pretty much made for things other than Sonic), and they bring some interaction and personalities none of the official characters have (or are allowed to have). Keep em, I say.

On the subject of production team:

keep everyone, enough said. I have confidence we'll be able to see this happen.

On the subject of story:

Print Genesis of a hero in full. Then bridge the gap between that and the shattered world. Move on from the end of that. Make it one (two, considering universe) narrative from beginning to present.

On the subject of Penders:

I honestly don't care about him anymore. His delusional ramblings mean as much to me as Chris-Chan's at this point. 

All in all:

I was very sad yesterday. Today I had several keks. The biggest hurdle to overcome is going to be saying "IDW Sonic" or "Comic Sonic" instead of Archie Sonic from now on.

• Thumbs Up 9

Ken is like the ghost of hedgehog's past.  He will constantly harrass anyone involved with Sonic, ecspecially the comic because he just can't accept that writers/artists other then him contributed to it.

I gurantee you if IDW ever does reprint any old Archie stuff it won't be anything from before Ian's run started or just the rest of the post SGW stuff, no way in Hell IDW is putting up with Pender's crap!

Edit: also the site keeps messing up on me and inseting old uploads into posts

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Shaddy the guy said:

On the subject of Penders:

I honestly don't care about him anymore. His delusional ramblings mean as much to me as Chris-Chan's at this point.

tenor.gif

Why does so much negative stuff share my name...?

Chris Chan...

Everybody Hates Chris...

I wish my name was Maurice.

• Thumbs Up 4

Actually, I'll amend my statement about the production team: don't keep Gabriel Cassata or Terry Austin. They're not that good.

@Chris Knopps Change your name then?

• Thumbs Up 3

5 minutes ago, Shaddy the guy said:

Change your name then?

That was a joke to try and keep things in another comic thread from going too far down the Penders-Poop-Hole again. lol

F-Penders, Argh the Pendermen, and all that jazz.

Let the monkey trying to grasp his gold banana keep aimlessly hopping about while we talk of and hopefully enjoy what's to come.

There's nothing to worry about, the series is out of the guys hands now and that gold banana is dangling higher and higher, of course the monkey's gonna scream about it.

Edit

(Seriously he's like DK in the old classics, tossing barrels with his Laura-Su tied up)

Y9VdL.gif

Yep, went there.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Shaddy the guy said:

Actually, I'll amend my statement about the production team: don't keep Gabriel Cassata or Terry Austin. They're not that good.

The silver lining, even if the entire Archie team is replaced. No more Terry Austin!

Watch him be the only person on Archie's payroll who gets a job on the new book. *shudder*

2 minutes ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

The silver lining, even if the entire Archie team is replaced. No more Terry Austin!

Watch him be the only person on Archie's payroll who gets a job on the new book. *shudder*

I'm a bit confused here...

What's with all the stuff going on towards Archie and their new stuff lately? I thought this new show and comic thing they were pulling off was doing pretty good...

Am I missing something here?

I'd imagine that a few of the artists would be pulled into IDW, anyway. Many artists had came into the Archie book, over the years and a lot of them are really, really used to drawing superhumans with bulging muscles and shit. They have a really hard time translating to the Sonic Style. We probably don't want any repeats of... some of those images.

• Thumbs Up 9

7 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I'd imagine that a few of the artists would be pulled into IDW, anyway. Many artists had came into the Archie book, over the years and a lot of them are really, really used to drawing superhumans with bulging muscles and shit. They have a really hard time translating to the Sonic Style. We probably don't want any repeats of... some of those images.

Well...

I kind of miss the old way Sally and Bunnie were drawn way back when...

Some of that sh@$ was hot.

d8a35e78ea3928f7ebb59a5e31825c3d.gif

• Thumbs Up 3

Oh wow, that was real quick. I guess Sega wasn't just twiddling their thumbs over the past few months were they? The deal for IDW to start publishing Sonic comics must have been finalized just a few weeks ago so that when the news of Sega dissolving their partnership with Archie hit they could follow up with this news.

And that's freakin' awesome! Saves us the trouble of wallowing in anguish for months on end, just waiting to see whether there was actually going to be a new Sonic comic or not! Now we can go back to praying that it turns out great, but with the knowledge that we at least have one less issue to worry about.

If I could come up with any hopes I have for whatever IDW decides to do with Sonic, the biggest one would be that they can capture his personality to a T. Ian Flynn did so much right with Archie Sonic by restructuring most of the plot into something cohesive when he began his tenure on the series, but if there's one thing I've always felt was off it was how he wrote Sonic himself. He was too much of a team player in the Archie series, something that really reared up in the comic's final arc, not to mention he didn't have as much of that smart ass charm he's famous for instead being more of a typical goody two shoes, not that he didn't have his moments. I think Mega Drive did a tremendous job presenting a proper representation of him during its unfortunately short lifespan with him being that smarmy little shit that does everything by his own tempo,  so here's hoping IDW can gives us more of what we love from that series.

Of course having the Freedom Fighters return in some capacity would be great too, because like many of us here I've grown attached to them after following their adventures for so many years, and having them get the axe so unceremoniously would be practically criminal. However, that doesn't mean I want everything from the previous run to bleed into whatever IDW decides to cook up; Sega gave Archie 24 years with their icon, so I'm willing to see what ideas these new guys can bring to the table.

• Thumbs Up 6

2 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Some of that sh@$ was hot.

This man knows what he likes.

• Thumbs Up 4

Just now, WittyUsername said:

This man knows what he likes.

No shame to show, no f@%ks to give.

Then again, I was a teenager. We were all freaks at the time and took whatever we could get.

...If that was just me, then...

Hey, we all have our firsts. Some enjoyed Sailor Moon, I enjoyed Archie.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Chris Knopps said:

No shame to show, no f@%ks to give.

Then again, I was a teenager. We were all freaks at the time and took whatever we could get.

...If that was just me, then...

Hey, we all have our firsts. Some enjoyed Sailor Moon, I enjoyed Archie.

*posts image of Archie Andrews staring seductivly at Chris Knopps* XD

• Thumbs Up 5

1 minute ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

*posts image of Archie Andrews staring seductivly at Chris Knopps* XD

Not THAT Archie, you know darn well what I meant. lol

Just now, Clewis said:

Please stop.

Yeah, I'm done. If I laugh anymore I'm gonna bust an ulcer.

Just hoping folks are having a good time.

• Thumbs Up 3

I can't help but imagine that post with any tone other than a "haha yeah guys it was totally a joke nothing going on here heh heh" tone.

I mean it's par for the course, but...come on man, show a little tact.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm hoping they go the Mega Drive route with the new comics, expanding on the game centric universe with stories and arcs that seem like they could themselves be a game.

If they started fresh perhaps they could use this type of setup to retell the stories from the games before moving on to their new matetial, while expanding on them like Ian was trying to do with his game based arcs. It would be a good way to introduce the main cast, but also the side characters in a natural way so they didn't end up like chaff and could be developed alongside the main characters and used from time to time when the situation was right.

The main characters should be the focus of course, and I've been a staunch supporter of Eggman being the main big bad regardless of situation. But it wouldn't hurt to have the extended cast old and new to fill the world provided they can be used properly, something Sega and Sonic Team has had a lot of trouble figuring out, but again something Ian was getting better and better at.

With the popularity of Mania leading up to release, and it's perceived imminent success, capitalizing on that design even if it's just to begin with while it tells the original stories or origins of the characters and then moves into the more modern design aspects later seems like a good choice. Then again I could just be bias due to my love for the classics and my hype for Mania. 

• Thumbs Up 6

Appoligies for the double post, but I didn't want this stinking up my thoughts on my personal hopes for IDW's take on Sonic as a comic series as posted above. But this had to be seen to be believed...

Wow...just wow...seriously..I'm lost for words...I want to say something..but nothing's coming out..

• Thumbs Up 6

1 minute ago, Tenko said:

Appoligies for the double post, but I didn't want this stinking up my thoughts on my personal hopes for IDW's take on Sonic as a comic series as posted above. But this had to be seen to be believed...

Wow...just wow...seriously..I'm lost for words...I want to say something..but nothing's coming out..

The delusions are beginning real early today, ain't they? =P

Just been looking at the early Archie comics, now I see who Robotnik 's behaviour was based on. Seriously, take a look. 

Entire first issue will be Sonic running for 30 pages and making Pontaffesque puns. That would be worst case scenario though. 

• Thumbs Up 2