Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

I'm sure the mandates are going to be the exact same Archie was always saddled with, just with additional rules marking old Western Sonic elements as off-limits or whatever (up until they okay Sticks, which will be the point I stop caring altogether).

1 minute ago, Zaysho said:

I'm sure the mandates are going to be the exact same Archie was always saddled with, just with additional rules marking old Western Sonic elements as off-limits or whatever (up until they okay Sticks, which will be the point I stop caring altogether).

It depends I think. They might be slightly less harsh when they aren't dealing with Archie (who I think it's safe to say have proven themselves screwups). At the very least, we know classic designs and such won't be off-limits hopefully.

Ian said on a recent Bumblekast that they'll have the same amount of creative freedom as with Archie, if not more. 

8 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

At the very least, we know classic designs and such won't be off-limits hopefully.

I have doubts they'll allow the "Classic designs as younger versions of the modern cast" thing, especially since Mania and Forces seem to have cemented the notion of Classic and Modern being two separate worlds.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

Just now, Ryannumber1gamer said:

It depends I think. They might be slightly less harsh when they aren't dealing with Archie (who I think it's safe to say have proven themselves screwups). At the very least, we know classic designs and such won't be off-limits hopefully.

I don't think they were especially strict with Archie. They might have ordered some stupid things, but I think in the reboot they had enough freedom to tell the stories they wanted to tell that stayed within the guidelines but still made interesting stories. But "classic" stuff will probably be the same deal, especially thanks to Forces. If anything, it'll give them an excuse to make a classic branded/themed book as a companion piece.

4 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

I don't think they were especially strict with Archie. They might have ordered some stupid things, but I think in the reboot they had enough freedom to tell the stories they wanted to tell that stayed within the guidelines but still made interesting stories. But "classic" stuff will probably be the same deal, especially thanks to Forces. If anything, it'll give them an excuse to make a classic branded/themed book as a companion piece.

It's debatable I think, for Classic at least, because Genesis of a Hero was made after the statement regarding the two worlds nonsense was already made IIRC.

On one hand, I'd like a classic book in the style of Mega Drive, but on the other hand, I really hate the two worlds thing.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

It's debatable I think, for Classic at least, because Genesis of a Hero was made after the statement regarding the two worlds nonsense was already made IIRC.

On one hand, I'd like a classic book in the style of Mega Drive, but on the other hand, I really hate the two worlds thing.

The reboot was at least conceived in 2012 in response to the Ken Penders lawsuit, and launched in mid-2013. This is right after Generations, which established one thing, so it was pretty much set in stone (and regularly alluded to in the book until SEGA lifted the restriction of actually showing those appearances) and it wouldn't have made sense to change direction all of the sudden.

I think now it'll be a different case because this comic will have a new setting and is based on Game-Sonic.

50 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

I think now it'll be a different case because this comic will have a new setting and is based on Game-Sonic.

Yes, but it's been confirmed that it takes place in another continuity altogether. Also, recall from the conference. It says that SEGA will be a lot looser and will take things on a case-by-case basis. I agree that some mandates should be in place to prevent another Pendering, but there are things that are outright dumb.

• Chuckle 1

I don't think they said "a lot looser", did they? It's still a licensed comic, and nearly every licensed tie-in has mandates. As Ian said, he had enough freedom to tell the stories he wanted to tell with Archie, and IDW is likely going to be same. 

The Classic Sonic thing isn't a big deal anyway. If the mandate is still in place (and it likely will be, regardless of the comic being a different continuity), just... don't use Classic in flashbacks or whatever. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

4 minutes ago, Mister X said:

I don't think they said "a lot looser", did they? It's still a licensed comic, and nearly every licensed tie-in has mandates. As Ian said, he had enough freedom to tell the stories he wanted to tell with Archie, and IDW is likely going to be same. 

The Classic Sonic thing isn't that big of a deal anyway. If the mandate is still in place (and it likely will be, regardless of the comic being a different continuity), just... don't use Classic in flashbacks or whatever. 

OK, while not a LOT looser, there should be at least SOME loosening, given that SEGA themselves are more willing to experiment. And remember, they can go to SEGA on a case-by-case basis, meaning SEGA might let them bend the rules when the story calls for it.

I get they said that SEGA is a lot "looser" but it's not like it's going to be a completely different from the games considering Ian seemed to want the comic to be more game-centric before, or they aren't still going to have more than a few mandates. If they don't want Classic Sonic to be portrayed as the younger version of Sonic he won't be, let's not get our hopes that the mandates we don't like will just happen to be the ones they don't have/the IDW gods fight against, especially when it pertains to Sonic the Hedgehog's identity itself.

2 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

See, there's still technicalities around that.. in Genesis of a Hero everyone had black eyes, so it could be interpreted as just a style change and not everyone being younger, especially considering the mandate that Sonic can't be implied to have been younger or age, i.e his non-presence in Sonic Comic Origins flashbacks.

We can see Sonic look young since SEGA seemed to be fine with the Classic/Modern hybrid design, but he can't look young in a context where it would imply he is young. 

• Nice Smile 1

Please don't ruin my hopes. I just don't want this comic to turn into another Post-Reboot Archie. I want it to be unique, not like the games. Ian said it will be different. I will hope that will be true.

I don't honestly mind what they do with the comics -- just bring them on! I'm ready to start a fresh collection after coming to the (very depressing) conclusion that finding every Archie issue is going to be near impossible at this point.

My only hopes are

• The treat the characters with respect
  • The write whole stories
  • Shadow does cool stuff
  • The stories they write are also pretty good

That's it, that's all I want.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'll do my list of hopes too:

- Shadow and Blaze are not underpowered, and treated with respect

- Sonic and Eggman keep their Archie reboot personalities, maybe crazy wicked Eggman would be cool too

- More freedom than with Archie, I think they will be less harsh than with the old comics, as it has been said

- Less off-limits stuff, I believe they said they can use anything from the games

- Sticks being integrated in the main universe, getting her arc with Amy and the girls

- Tails is brave and useful, but still not Sonic's wannabe and more of his own thing

- Better writing for the Deadly Six

- The inclusion of the Hard Boiled Heavies, maybe exclusive to the "classic universe", same with the Hooligans

- Omega keeps his Archie personality, which everyone loves and prevents him from being boring

- Everyone gets enough screentime and different interactions, not the usual ones

- Short story arcs, but with continuity in between and long term plans

- Freedom Fighters in minor roles

- Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Amy as full time presence or almost (again, sorry if I repeat things)

• Thumbs Up 1

My hopes:

- Be good.

- No reboots in the middle of the series.

- Do not overlay the series with to many original characters that look and act the same.

- Focus on a story that fits the series. Do not try to copy once again the formula of another series. 

• Thumbs Up 2

To be honest, there's not much I want other than recycling forgotten characters making sure Diana Skelly's on board.  Maybe give Omega more of his serious persona instead of making him a constant source of comedy relief and perhaps let Metal Sonic become more his own villain.  Other then that, I'm ready to just roll with the punches.

Oh, and please don't make this a sequel to Forces.  This would be for Sega's benefit and ours.

On 12/29/2017 at 10:35 PM, RedFox99 said:

What do you guys expect from the first four issues?

Main four and eggman but hopefully down the line the core cast is based on sonic x sonic mains including team dark with omega and cream with team sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, hopes may be a stretch, especially considering I'm doing this on the spot, but here's some things I would like:

• Good, amazing, or even just stylish artwork.
  • Great, entertaining, and flexible writing.
  • Knuckles, Amy, and occasionally Tails having their own adventures/interests from time to time.
  • Fuller and/or varied use of the characters' personalities. 
  • Unusual matchups on occasion.
  • Stories/arcs starring/highlighting lesser appreciated or even known characters like Cream, Omega, Storm, Marine, Gardon, etc.
  • Interesting use of the Deadly Six.
  • Rebooted/revamped SatAM, AoStH, and maybe Boom as guest stars later on.
  • Certain Archie originals emigrating here(Thrash, Relic, Eclipse, Gold, Null Mind, etc.).
  • Thumbs Up 2

I want no Classic Sonic alongside Modern Sonic! Modern Sonic can have a good adventure by himself! No need for the 2 of them in the same room Sega!!

He was only in Forces because it's a cheap trick by Sega to attract nostalgic fans! (Just like the inclusion of Chaos and Shadow as villain, contradicting their redemption, it was not hard to see that they were in fact fakes!!) The cheap "Sonic from another dimension"  excuse destroys the whole canon!

And he adds nothing to the story!

I want to Sonic to be ONE character able to stand on his own, without the need for his younger cute self to attract nostalgic costumers !!

I only want Classic Sonic in the flashbacks or in a "Megadrive" styled comic.

• Thumbs Up 3

One thing that could be nice would be to give Rouge or Omega their own adventures or at least have stories centered around either of the two instead of Shadow.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

9 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

One thing that could be nice would be to give Rouge or Omega their own adventures or at least have stories centered around either of the two instead of Shadow.

Seconded.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, DabigRG said:

Seconded.

It's sad that the one time that Rouge was the more important character than her teammates was when she was at her worst during the TTT arc.

Does Rouge have to be a hero every time? In my fan fiction she's a rogue type, you never know what's up with her, her alliances and interests, I prefer it that way. Keeps the character interesting and engaging.

• Thumbs Up 2

32 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

It's sad that the one time that Rouge was the more important character than her teammates was when she was at her worst during the TTT arc.

Was she?