Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

9 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Well, if they let Sally cameo in an OFFICIAL comic (the third Forces one), I'm sure that they'd have no qualms about having her and the rest of the gang in the IDW comics.

Do people seriously not get how Comic Cameos work? They're thrown in for Shits and Giggles by the artist. Like Dan Schoening throws in Several Real Ghostbusters Ghost's and Characters into the background of the Ghostbusters comics. Doesn't mean they exist in that universe. Hell he's thrown in stuff Sony doesn't even own before.

Comic Cameos are just supposed to be cute easter eggs for fans.

• Thumbs Up 2

Aw c'mon guys, can't you just let me have this one? I'm TRYING to stay optimistic for this comic, and y'all are just shooting everything I say down. I want this comic to succeed, I really do. I also have hope that SEGA won't be this big bad strict corporation and that it learns its mistakes from the Post-SGW. You guys are just making me more worried that this comic will be  another Post-SGW. I want this to stand on its own, y'know?

• Nice Smile 1

12 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Aw c'mon guys, can't you just let me have this one? I'm TRYING to stay optimistic for this comic, and y'all are just shooting everything I say down. I want this comic to succeed, I really do. I also have hope that SEGA won't be this big bad strict corporation and that it learns its mistakes from the Post-SGW. You guys are just making me more worried that this comic will be  another Post-SGW. I want this to stand on its own, y'know?

Sonic fanbase, dude. We're bred to be pessimisstic

32 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

This is a forum where people discuss so it can't be helped.

24 minutes ago, Razule said:

Sonic fanbase, dude. We're bred to be pessimisstic

Sonic fanbases are pessimistic, but I think it mostly depends on the group. Various forums and social media sites have  their own Sonic communities. Some are more toxic, some are optimistic, some are pessimistic, and others are silly. 

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Tornado said:

If Sega makes an edict that the line for game universe characters allowed is drawn at Sonic, Tails, Robotnik and Amy, and there were a bunch of rumors and vague statements that made that appear to be the case before the comic came out, would you still be shouting from the rooftop about how everyone should give it a chance?

Yes! I would, I always try to stay optimistic and have hope about the stuff I love, that's the only weapon I have in life, I'm a dreamer^^

Look, we have a big gallery of heroes and villains and lore just within the game universe, plus more exclusive characters that Ian will create who will fill the hole left by the reboot characters, just like they filled the universe when the Penders and Bollers characters were gone, I'm sad that we couldn't play with them more and have interesting storylines, but as long as it's a Sonic book and it's well written, I can't really complain. If the Freedom Fighters won't be in the comic I'll be a bit sad, but more cool characters will be introduced.

I understand that you guys are very demanding about Sonic stuff, I'm just saying to give it a chance, I'm not trying to change your opinions, so if you don't want to enjoy the goodness that will come, be my guest, but don't try to ruin other people's optimism.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Ugh, is there ANYTHING to be hopeful about in this comic? Is it going to succeed?  

That depends on what you are demanding from the new comic, and how you consider it successful. Thinking the comic won’t be worth reading (for YOU) if the FF isn’t in is understandable, for example. But thinking the comic is hopeless and will fail because of that is pretty extreme. Especially since there are people right here in the forum looking forward to it, either because of that possibility or regardless of that concern.

If you are having a hard time being positive about something, it's not effective to read discussion forums to motivate yourself (unless there was a topic specifically dedicated to thinking positively). It's better to go to, say, Tumblr or dA where people can look, group and talk about similar views.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

41 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Ugh, is there ANYTHING to be hopeful about in this comic? Is it going to succeed?  

Well, at the very least there's a chance that the extended video game cast will be used more in the comics than in recent main series games.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 2
  • Chuckle 1
  • Fist Bump 1

18 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Ian Flynn's writing it.  

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1

14 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

It was announced at NYCC. What's to debate exactly?

I think they meant whether Ian's writing will be good enough to win people over. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

Sorry, guys. I think the lack of news is making me a little crazy. I'm just worried because of what the others are saying here. I'll still hold my faith in the comic until I have the comic in my hands so that I can judge myself.

• Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 2

1 hour ago, Dr. Jack said:

I understand that you guys are very demanding about Sonic stuff

I dunno if I'm demanding if I ask for one thing. Prolly I am then, whatever, I just can't help it with this certain thing.

This One Very Teeny Tiny Thing. You all prolly know it already.

2 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Sorry, but I got burned so deeply from hoping for the best outcome in the Archie deal last time I just can't hold up high hopes anymore. They pretty much skinned me alive and forced my heart out of my body through my other hole. That's how it feels to me. Pretty painful and empty.

But well, if you did enjoy Mr. Flynn's writing, well at least he's back. It's not a bad thing I think. Others can disagree whether it's a good thing or not but I think it's a positive sign.

It's not like I think it'll be worst thing ever, but 1) I got burned one time too severely to trust for this to last so I don't feel like maybe but not surely getting attached to anything new (if I can't even keep my safety blanket) since it could end too easily and 2) if I'm not getting my safety blanket to guarantee there'll be at least some characters that I'd enjoy. Good characters create emotions inside readers but I can't enjoy all good characters that much I'd throw my money in it like that. I'm kind of not-so-rich at the moment, I don't have the luxury to just go and test the waters on that measure either.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

3 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Remember that the Penders era was possibility a result of the lack of SEGA's control over the comics; plus, it's their IP.

5 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Remember that the Penders era was possibility a result of the lack of SEGA's control over the comics; plus, it's their IP.

I know that, but that's not exactly what I WAS (keyword: WAS) worried about. I was worried about the negativity that's been going on, and I've been trying to give some spots of hope, but they kept shooting it down.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

Just now, PublicEnemy1 said:

I know that, but that's not exactly what I WAS (keyword: WAS) worried about. I was worried about the negativity that's been going on, and I've been trying to give some spots of hope, but they kept shooting it down.

Oh, alright. Try to not get so upset though.

Despite all of this, I wish Mr. Flynn the best of luck writing this comic. And who knows? If this comic does well enough, we might get a Universe-styled book, or even a continuation legacy comic of Archie, if we're REALLY lucky.

• Thumbs Up 2

22 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Oh well, I'm most sincerely sorry about being negatively jerk around the matter. Really. I just dunno if the idea of Sonic comics are actually worth my trust anymore.

It's not about IDW, it's not about Mr. Flynn. Just a general feeling I got from all of this, like, when it comes to the licenced comics, the reader base is always betting when investing into the story and the characters way more than if it'd be about "the original stuff" considering how everything could be shut down like this, like what happened. It meant nothing what had been achieved, they just kept being silent until they finally did spit it out.

Of course abrupt ends could happen with publisher-owned series but I think it'd be a teeny tiny bit less likely just because they could give a warning a bit earlier so there could be at least some kind of closure for the stuff. But well, I dunno. Maybe I should just stick to different comics than the US ones, Archie Sonic was pretty much the only one I was really into anyway. And I'm still into it, the fact it isn't going on anymore isn't eating all the quality time I spent with it away after all.

The thing is, I'm pretty possible the IDW book will be good. That just doesn't mean I could enjoy it with 100% probability, I just have too many emotional scars.

I'm sorry if my eruptions have made you doubt whether or not it'll be good. I'm just a crazy soon-to-be-geezer going around how "when I was young things were like this and that and yadda yadda yadda..." most likely starting around the time when IDW Sonic is ~1 year old or something. Don't pay attention to my occasional ramblings, I just need to get my stomach unknotted when the posts make it go knots from my heart sinking a bit too low, that happens from time to time. When I think about the late comics for example, it happens almost every time.

But really others' opinions are their opinions, try not to get your own enjoyment get too much down because of some opinions. B)That's what I've learned from having too many different opinions compared to others around me.

Just now, PublicEnemy1 said:

or even a continuation legacy comic of Archie, if we're REALLY lucky.

Okay, if we get this at some point I'll be legitimately beyond joy at that point.

Though I won't be setting my hopes up way too high this time. Sorry, I think I did it again, I think I'll become notorious for this. Though I hope this isn't a case where they end up saying it's all hunky-dory and everything's coming up roses without it being so.

Okay, too many song puns, time to stop already.

• Nice Smile 2

Hey, I have much hope for the comics because they're my last hope for this franchise after the disappointment of Sonic Forces.

So you better believe I am VERY optimistic about this comics (as well as some other upcomming Sonic litterature: these novels https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/557525/sonic-and-the-tales-of-deception-by-jake-black-illustrated-by-ian-mcginty

and this one https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/564741/sonic-and-the-tales-of-terror-by-kiel-phegley-illustrated-by-patrick-spaziante)

• Fist Bump 1

Well, if that second one's really illustrated by Spaz the artwork'll prolly be awesome at least.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

1 hour ago, Marco9966 said:

So you better believe I am VERY optimistic about this comics (as well as some other upcomming Sonic litterature: these novels https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/557525/sonic-and-the-tales-of-deception-by-jake-black-illustrated-by-ian-mcginty

Sonic! Move!” Tails yelled. But it was no use, Sonic was hypnotized by the bees.

Amazing.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Chuckle 2

7 hours ago, Korke said:

That's open for debate.

GIven how even with his flaws Ian mostly avoids the dumb shit the games tend to do, no it isn’t.

But go ahead and humor us with one.

• Thumbs Up 1