Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

“Ipso Facto” is a whole new phrase I’ve never heard until now that I almost thought you made a typo. :lol:

I just went along with who took more charge within the group, so that’s why i say “De facto” for Rouge.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

15 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

Why do you suppose? Would it be due to her more... adult design?

It would likely be due to the fact that he hadn't written Rouge since Treasure Team Tango, which, as brought up numerous times, had her come off as incredibly flagrant and callous regarding taking the Sol Emerald.

With the criticism that came with that in mind, as well as all of the other stress he was probably under at the time he wrote Shadow Fall, he was likely felt very unsure about how to write what is essentially a contrasting approach to her character.

14 hours ago, Dash Speed said:

Rouge has never been the leader, it's either Shadow or all of them as a vocal group of leaders. She stopped Shadow and Omega because in heroes......just because, but Shadow is the one getting the team to follow his path in story mode.

Actually, they only met/awoke in the first place because Rouge heard a rumor about Eggman having a secret treasure, which lead her to the old base where Shadow was in stasis and Omega had apparently been abandoned to guard over him. After she awoke them and learned that they both had issues that also have to deal with Eggman(Omega wanting revenge and Shadow needing to restore his memory), she decided they can all work together to find him and formed the team. And from what I remember, most of the scenes after that generally had she pointing out what they need to focus on at the moment while occasionally dealing with them getting hotblooded.

So essentially, you could she was initially using them to help her track down the treasure and they just happened to get used to working with each other(again, in her and Shadow's case).

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Conquering Slay-bell Storm said:

“Ipso Facto” is a whole new phrase I’ve never heard until now that I almost thought you made a typo. :lol:

I just went along with who took more charge within the group, so that’s why i say “De facto” for Rouge.

I like using latin proverbs, makes me look smarter :P. My favorite is " Sine ira et studio" (without anger and fondness. How one should debate)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

Do I look stupid if I throw in randomly "Nomen est omen"? :huh:

I do think it'd be cool to know Latin, well, at least French has loanwords and I know some French... peut-être. Je ne sais pas...

But seriously, one thing I did like about Archie Sonic was the fact different "dialects or whatever you may call them things" were used. That made the language a bit more elastic I think. I wonder what'll happen with IDW though, this'll be "all new series" after all.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

It would likely be due to the fact that he hadn't written Rouge since Treasure Team Tango, which, as brought up numerous times, had her come off as incredibly flagrant and callous regarding taking the Sol Emerald.

With the criticism that came with that in mind, as well as all of the other stress he was probably under at the time he wrote Shadow Fall, he was likely felt very unsure about how to write what is essentially a contrasting approach to her character

At least it worked out since his characterization of her had massively improved. 

Nescio Latine.

Rouge is the leader of team Dark. I think where the wires are being crossed are between who the leader is and who the focus is, because they're not the same thing.

Sonic and Amy certainly do both as they're both the leader and the focus.

Vector is also both now, but for a time after Heroes it looked like Espio was going to be the focus while Vector remained leader. Once Sonic Team decided they'd had enough of Vector living in the shadow of Sonic X and the meme I guess, they just shunted him right to the front and even eclipsing some prior more important characters.

Rouge is the leader of team Dark. She is, however, also not even close to being the focus. Her only character arc that focused on her was before team Dark even formed, after that it's all been on Shadow, and all her actions as part of team Dark have basically been in service to his story.

Edit: Hang on, you could also argue Sonic Rivals 2 as one...although that's still outside the scope of team Dark. 

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Nice Smile 1

What games do you think will be adapted? (some newer games I think)

If some character's origins are kept as they are, can I consider games like S3&K, SA, SA2 canon as they are?

13 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

The rouge rivaling knuckles thing is another reason why i'm not fond of team dark

Her as a character has a dynamic that isn't really used much because she's often stuck as support for shadow as a character. Her being a spy thief treasure hunter, its one of the reasons why I think team dark should go their seperate ways because each one is much better characters when interacting with others and creating new dynamics. 

I agree that her character has a dynamic that isn't used much and I'd love to see it utilized more often, however, I don't necessarily believe Team Dark needs to go their separate ways in order to get that back. If anything, they should just consider it yet another extension of her character rather than tethering her to just that position. As of now, they use it as a crutch to not do anything with her other than to have her as Shadow's support narratively. Even if she is the leader, the narrative cares more about Shadow. 

It also doesn't help that we all probably have different ideas as to what "Team Dark" is and what having it around implies. I just refer to "Team Dark" as that thing that happens when Shadow, Rouge, and Omega get together for a night on the town for instance. It's never been something that got in the way of Rouge being able to function on her own as a spy/thief/treasure hunter/club owner unless it's deliberately written to be that way. 

I imagine the three of them do often do their own things on their own time. They can't always be together doing stuff as Team Dark. I never once thought it worked that way, which is why only ever seeing it happen that way in the comics never feels right and it makes it even more glaring how pushed to the side the other two are.

It's not the fault of the existence of Team Dark, they're just using the team dynamic as a substitute for her character rather than an extension of it. She can be friends with Shadow and Omega and team up with them sometimes while still rivaling Knuckles and going it alone when the plot calls for something different. There's no reason why not other than the fact that there's kinks to work out when it comes to juggling characters. Even for Ian.

• Thumbs Up 2

15 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Since the first issue may very possibly be set after Forces, none, not in the main narrative at least.

I'm glad if this is the case. No more adaptations, we wasted part of the reboot on those. But I would love more classic stories a la Mega Drive.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, Neon Talking CC14 said:

This was just posted in the Facebook group: One of the covers for StH #1!

V5gv2rL.jpg

Guess who's back? Back again? Tracey's back. Tell a friend.

Edit: Espio'd but hey, the image is here on the page for everyone's convenience, I guess.

Espio'd?

2 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Espio'd?

It's the Sonic version of ninja'd, when two people post at the exact same time and one comes out on top. XD

Edit: ...and as if by magic, it happened again. XD

• Nice Smile 1

Unsurprising that Yardley is back, and it's not a bad cover. Hoping Skelly, Hesse, and Herms will be doing work for this at some point, too. 

• Thumbs Up 3

And it starts in GHZ, of course. However, since Ian's writing this comic, I think this was his decision on where to start, so I think it'll still be interesting. Besides, all of the good stuff is probably being kept under wraps for now.

21 minutes ago, Neon Talking CC14 said:

V5gv2rL.jpg

Guess who's back? Back again? Tracey's back. Tell a friend.

Edit: Espio'd but hey, the image is here on the page for everyone's convenience, I guess.

I was wondering how I didn't see that. Went to the page to check and found out I got banned from it.

23 minutes ago, Neon Talking CC14 said:

V5gv2rL.jpg

YARDLEYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!

Now just say Evan, Herms, Skelly, Jen and Adam Thomas are coming back too and i'm completely sold on the artists department

no pressure

• Nice Smile 1

30 minutes ago, Neon Talking CC14 said:

V5gv2rL.jpg

Guess who's back? Back again?

OMG......Green Hill Zone is back.....again....Oh boy let's kick things off by a really uninteresting setting at this point. I mean the exciting new cover for the brand new comic series to bring in readers....is Sonic running in Green Hill again. I can just boot up Sonic Mania to do that instead XD. 

But props to Tyson who always does good work. Love his stuff.

1. It a cover, it's not necessarily where Sonic will be in the issue. 

2. If it is, it actually fits in with the theory that the comic will kick off with the fallout of Forces. 

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1

7 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

OMG......Green Hill Zone is back.....again....Oh boy let's kick things off by a really uninteresting setting at this point. I mean the exciting new cover for the brand new comic series to bring in readers....is Sonic running in Green Hill again. I can just boot up Sonic Mania to do that instead XD. 

But props to Tyson who always does good work. Love his stuff.

I posted a comment above addressing the issue.

1 minute ago, VEDJ-F said:

1. It a cover, it's not necessarily where Sonic will be in the issue. 

2. If it is, it actually fits in with the theory that the comic will kick off with the fallout of Forces. 

It's the most safe and least interesting background for the cover. Though I don't give two shits if the cover is this uninteresting so long as everything else is good. A cover is barely worth focusing on. It's just I find it funny that instead of having some gripping cover that promises something grand to kick off a new era.....it's Sonic in Green Hill. I dunno about you but as a cover, that tells me it's typical Sonic and nothing really worth looking forward to. I mean you could at least have like Eggman in a new mech battling Sonic in Green Hill as the cover, his cocky grin on page. That would at least be more interesting.....but the cover alone just tells me same ol same ol.

I am still hopeful as I know the quality control is better here than it is with Sonic Team Story telling....but I'm just saying the cover is a slight turn off for me. Not a "OMG RUINED". Just kinda a little speed bump..

• Thumbs Up 1

Nice to see Yardley doing what I assume will be one of many, many  variant covers. If he's not doing interior art for the first four issues, here's hoping he contributes more in the future.

• Nice Smile 1