Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

At this point, considering they're getting the team who got hugely screwed by Archie's antics, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw the likes of Jon Gray in the comic again (He's the guy who did a number of the Archie off panels, as well as several stories and covers, and the art for the random illustrations in Sonic Super Special Magazine). He's already working at IDW doing Disney stuff if I remember correctly, so it's possible there's more old Archie staff to come. 

• Nice Smile 1

11 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

At this point, considering they're getting the team who got hugely screwed by Archie's antics, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw the likes of Jon Gray in the comic again (He's the guy who did a number of the Archie off panels, as well as several stories and covers, and the art for the random illustrations in Sonic Super Special Magazine). He's already working at IDW doing Disney stuff if I remember correctly, so it's possible there's more old Archie staff to come. 

I also hope for some Fleetway artists to eventually cross over. 

• Nice Smile 1

I don't really get why they're being so vague about who's in. It's not like anyone is holding their breath that IDW secretly saved the Archie book and are bringing it back.

Get it over with already. I'm just tired of them thinking they're spoiling some surprise by holding off on mentioning characters and setting.

On a more positive note, it's nice to see Tracy is back and I hope he gets to do interiors. Especially since he'll get to ink his own work (though it would suck if he won't be working with Jim Amash anymore).

Dunno about anyone else, but I hope Yardley gets to write some stories for IDW too. I thought Babylon Rising and Pirate Plunder Panic were pretty fun, and wouldn't mind seeing more stories written by him.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1
  • Nice Smile 2
  • Fist Bump 1

37 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

2. If it is, it actually fits in with the theory that the comic will kick off with the fallout of Forces. 

Plausible, but I feel like if that was the case they'd show the sand, unless it just so happens to all be off-screen. Or it all disappeared, but I kinda doubt that since the game made a point in the ending about not everything being magically fixed just because the Ruby was destroyed (i.e. the city still appears to be damaged in the ending scenes, and some of the dialogue suggests there's still work to be done, etc.).

Honestly, you could get some decent stories out of exploring how the events of Forces effected the world. I'd be cool with that, assuming they've decided to take the "this is it's own world but the events of the games happened" approach again.

6 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

I don't really get why they're being so vague about who's in. It's not like anyone is holding their breath that IDW secretly saved the Archie book and are bringing it back.

Get it over with already. I'm just tired of them thinking they're spoiling some surprise by holding off on mentioning characters and setting.

They're just ducking bad PR. They don't want people immediately writing off the comics because the first piece of news is that the Freedom Fighters are gone.

• Thumbs Up 1

People recognise Green Hill Zone, not Sand Hill Zone. Especially when that's such a non-iconic name that it existed before Forces. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

2 minutes ago, Flyinpenguin117 said:

They're just ducking bad PR. They don't want people immediately writing off the comics because the first piece of news is that the Freedom Fighters are gone.

That's smart, to be honest.

Evil, but smart.

16 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

On a more positive note, it's nice to see Tracy is back and I hope he gets to do interiors. Especially since he'll get to ink his own work (though it would suck if he won't be working with Jim Amash anymore).

If I had to guess they're afraid. They're probably thinking that if they reveal the characters not being in, it'll cause a drop of interest, especially from old Archie fans reluctant and likely pissed their in-progress story got halted randomly to make way for the new stuff. If they keep it a secret, they likely believe Archie fans will be more willing to change because they have a false hope that their favourites will still be present or the universe they were so invested in might have a chance.

Obviously, it's a huge fallacy considering people will just be more pissed when they find out that's not the case and their characters were discarded and with added insult with that tiny shred of hope being dangled with a non-confirmation but that's the only reason I can think of,

• Promotion 1

10 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

If I had to guess they're afraid. They're probably thinking that if they reveal the characters not being in, it'll cause a drop of interest, especially from old Archie fans reluctant and likely pissed their in-progress story got halted randomly to make way for the new stuff. If they keep it a secret, they likely believe Archie fans will be more willing to change because they have a false hope that their favourites will still be present or the universe they were so invested in might have a chance.

Obviously, it's a huge fallacy considering people will just be more pissed when they find out that's not the case and their characters were discarded and with added insult with that tiny shred of hope being dangled with a non-confirmation but that's the only reason I can think of,

Plot twist. The characters are in there and this whole silence thing was just to screw with everyone. JK I wish. But you're right. If they just wait until the issue comes out, it'll be easier to attract the Archie fans for at least the first issue. I honestly don't expect any clarity to comes from the solicts either, which IIRC come out tomorrow.

Or, they just legit can't talk about it yet. 

Maybe because they're not sure they'll be able, maybe because they haven't needed to ask yet.

Either way, they're not saying anything about something that could change at any point, especially not before the first issue isn't even out yet.

• Thumbs Up 3

Yay, Yardley's back! It just feels right having the dynamic duo of Flynn and Yardley back together.

55 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

As long as Terry Austin stays the heck away from this book, I'm satisfied!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

37 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I think the number of Archie fans who were pissed at how Sega handled the original announcement have long since been burned off and had no intention of buying this book anyway. I don't think their bottom line will be that adversely affected any more than Archie's was because it happened to do its own thing and was so different from the games. I think it's better than giving a handful of people false hope by staying silent and hope they stick around when it seems obvious the target demographic for this book was never going to be fans of Archie.

The book is going to be on my pull-list regardless of my feelings toward Sega's treatment of Archie Sonic in the last year, because I do want to see where it goes at least, I'm just finding all the radio silence annoying.

The cover reveal could be a variant cover as they say "We're here to show off one of the OFFICIAL covers for issue #1 of IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic series, featuring the return of beloved Sonic artist Tracy Yardley!"

This also confirms variant covers but I guess this is no surprise.

• Nice Smile 1

Regarding the FF's and other non game characters, I don't really care if they get in or not. The only thing I'm concerned about is if characters like Bean, Bark, Mighty etc get to pop in with a proper role every now and again. I'd would be very annoyed if SEGA said lol no to IDW's proposals (especially if they're cool ideas that could work out well) since I know full well ST won't ever touch them, heck, they barely use the main cast as it is so there is no hope of the old cast getting used.

I'm lucky with regards to the silence. I'm not even really feeling like they're being all that unfair about it. I'm not annoyed even a little tiny bit. 

Even with this cover I recognize it's the first issue of a new comic so it had the chance of just being a picture of Sonic doing something mundane in an area we've seen before. I like the choice of capturing it while he's upside down in a loop however. Despite that, I can admit that it's not all too special on it's own as a concept for a cover but that doesn't bother me a bit either.

I'm remaining relatively excited for a new Sonic comic and they've given me no reason to be outright worried or angry or annoyed just yet. 

Even as someone who doesn't want the Freedom Fighters to be there, them being silent about it isn't registering in my brain as something to give a shit about. They could be silent because it's going to be a surprise or it could be that the ones we're asking aren't allowed to say yet. It's the first four issues and I don't necessarily think they need to appear in any of those if they've been repurposed to be something else should they get in. However, I'm also not thinking too hard about it.

Whether it's my dream Sonic comic or not, I'm still anticipating it. I want to read another Sonic comic.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

4 hours ago, Neon Talking CC14 said:

This was just posted in the Facebook group: One of the covers for StH #1!

V5gv2rL.jpg

Guess who's back? Back again? Tracey's back. Tell a friend.

Edit: Espio'd but hey, the image is here on the page for everyone's convenience, I guess.

*Obligatory ITS GREEN HILL AGAIN comment*

That aside, really stoked that Tracy's returning! Now I wonder who did the coloring.

Edit: it was Yardley himself oh. It kinda looks too bright in some places tbh

• Nice Smile 1

Not 100% relevant, but I've been straight-up banned from the IDW Facebook page. They removed me without warning based on one post (anti-MLP meme which admittedly I shouldn't have posted, but I thought was to another Sonic group), and when I submitted to rejoin I was blocked from even viewing the group. Does anyone know a way to appeal something like that?

It's a pretty slick cover. I'm glad that Tracy is still around to work on the comics, and I really hope we get the return of Stanley, Skelly and the like. I saw a comment about Austin's inks, but I'd like to reiterate that they were actually pretty great pre-SGW, so he's definitely capable of better. I still don't know why exactly he got so much worse, but I wouldn't say he's incapable of doing good. I'd be more worried about Cassata's somehow-dull-and-also-too-bright coloring coming back.

Say, whatever happened to Jeff Axer? He had incredibly high-quality artwork but hardly ever worked on any stories (and usually side-stories) during the most dull parts of the comic before disappearing entirely.

As for the cast...I don't care anymore. I want Antoine, Bunnie and Nicole but I'm honestly not gonna be that let down if and when they never show up. I guess I'll only really be hurt if the comic refuses to go into detail or develop the backgrounds of the characters it ends up with, rather than not including my favorites.

• Nice Smile 2
  • Fist Bump 1

5 hours ago, Mister X said:

Dunno about anyone else, but I hope Yardley gets to write some stories for IDW too. I thought Babylon Rising and Pirate Plunder Panic were pretty fun, and wouldn't mind seeing more stories written by him.

I'm not totally sure, since he only got to write him for one story, but Tracy's Bean was even funnier than Ian's.  Certainly got some of the best lines in that story, and it's why if IDW ever take him up on doing more than drawing, then I sure hope he gets to do more comedy.  Guy has a pretty good knack for it.

As for his return, consider me a happy camper.  He deserves the continued work.  However, if they can just give us some way of confirming Skelly, then I'll be fully content.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

IDW will almost certainly have a publicity schedule plotted out which dictates what they can announce when, so not being able to announce anything about character representation is merely an extension of them not being able to talk about anything yet.  It also strikes me as unlikely that IDW is able to say anything at all about Archie legacy characters.  This is an obvious clean slate with no continuity with Archie, and characters like Sally are fundamentally and possibly legally none of their business; it's easy to imagine them being directly forbidden by Sega not to talk about anything Archie to avoid getting dragged into the legal issues surrounding it.  The idea that they're keeping secrets is I think unfair; they'll talk about things when they're relevant, and never talk about things which aren't relevant.

As for the material on the cover, you have to remember that this is effectively a new comic; of course the subject matter is going to be the basic Sonic elements so that wholly new purchasers will know what they're getting.  I would expect the first few issues to be very much about easing people into the idea of a Sonic comic as if they'd never read one before, with a few teasers about the wider picture.  I could be wrong, but this seems to be direction indicated so far.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

Honestly, the cover is kinda basic and generic, because, Green Hill again and there aren't any characters besides Sonic, it's very simple, but I'm super excited to have Tracy back, Tracy & Ian are my dream team. Hopefully this is just one of the variants and the main cover will be amazing and tell us more about the story for the first issues.

I also expect the start of the comic to be very simple, directed towards a general reader, Sonic fans, those who play the games basically, and other comic readers, so not the Archie fans (sadly for us), and have a very basic cast and story. But I'm sure Ian will have add some bits of fan service for older fans too, as he usually does.

7 hours ago, Lighthead said:

The cover reveal could be a variant cover as they say "We're here to show off one of the OFFICIAL covers for issue #1 of IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic series, featuring the return of beloved Sonic artist Tracy Yardley!"

This also confirms variant covers but I guess this is no surprise.

Yeah, could just be that other people did other covers, and since this is the one Tracey did, that's why they're showing it.

• Thumbs Up 1