Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Here's the thing: I do think that IDW will have more freedom than Post-Reboot Archie.
HOWEVER, it won't be at the start. I think it'll have mandates more akin to the Post-Reboot, for at least the first year, to sorta test the waters with the story and see how the comic will do.

• Thumbs Up 2

22 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Here's the thing: I do think that IDW will have more freedom than Post-Reboot Archie.
HOWEVER, it won't be at the start. I think it'll have mandates more akin to the Post-Reboot, for at least the first year, to sorta test the waters with the story and see how the comic will do.

That does seem rather reasonable. I mean at least one mandate (cream couldn't fighr) was subverted late into the comics.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

That does seem rather reasonable. I mean at least one mandate (cream couldn't fighr) was subverted late into the comics.

Also, Classic Sonic was allowed to be in and included as Sonic's backstory even though it was a mandate there.

• Thumbs Up 2

33 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Also, Classic Sonic was allowed to be in and included as Sonic's backstory even though it was a mandate there.

Because it was an anniversary year. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Which is odd considering they were smack dab in the middle of developing a game where classic would be established as "from another dimension".

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

8 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Which is odd considering they were smack dab in the middle of developing a game where classic would be established as "from another dimension".

Maybe we could take this as a sign of freedom that they had, after all different universes (or canons) and all.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

13 hours ago, BlueSky said:

Weell, actually...

I wouldn't be this sour if we'd be given a proper ending with all the "promised" stuff, as in solicited and such issues.

-------------

Like heck, I'd say bring in every character, use them the best way, I'd say yes to everybody. Like really, everybody. I'm not kidding guys, if done well, anyone could have a chance to work well in a story.

Same here. There was more to tell/wrap up. Yes they finished the shattered world arc but we already got that in the form of sonic unleashed, I wanted the original story Ian and the other writers were building up to be completed. If that happened I would be slightly less negative about the loss of the SATam/AoSTH/post-reboot characters and willing to give a clean slate a chance. But that didn't happen so I have no desire to bother with idw sonic comics without some things from archie sonic in a recurring role even if different.

I also would like to see fleetway sonic (which I've never read) characters, even sonic x and underground stuff (which I don't like) involved because I want everyone to have something to look forward to, not this "clean slate, no FFs, game characters only" mandate. I believe Ian can make it all work.

Just posting to let you know there's another soul who agrees with you. This will be my 1st and last post since if I stick around I will get modded.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

11 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

It took me by surprise that they made fun of how long the Unleashed Story took.

My impression is that that arc didn't quite work out as well as planned.  I see where Ian was probably coming from; they'd just had to throw out a new world, so he made his first priority a big world-building showcase which would establish the new status quo.  It's not a bad idea, but clearly it began to drag, and from what I understand the ending was fairly abrupt - probably in response to the fact that the approach had overstayed its welcome.  So, assuming those tweets were riffing on the length of the Unleashed saga, I would imagine that Ian has no illusions about its flaws.  That's just my perception, though.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 2

17 hours ago, Shaddy the Zaphod said:

IDW doesn't even need especially great legal teams. Penders didn't. Archie was just mind-bogglingly incompetent and SEGA didn't care enough to help. It was an outlier circumstance to end all outliers. IDW only needs lawyers that know what they're doing, and to actually keep their documents in a file cabinet instead of setting them on fire and throwing them out windows like I assume Archie must've. On top of that, if SEGA's really more involved in this, they're not going to let anyone bullshit them around. If anyone tries anything stupid they won't have a chance.

Also, big news:

I'm legit surprised more people didn't think they were being serious. Sonic Fans don't have a great grasp on Sarcasm or Jokes.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

5 hours ago, FFWF said:

My impression is that that arc didn't quite work out as well as planned.  I see where Ian was probably coming from; they'd just had to throw out a new world, so he made his first priority a big world-building showcase which would establish the new status quo.  It's not a bad idea, but clearly it began to drag, and from what I understand the ending was fairly abrupt - probably in response to the fact that the approach had overstayed its welcome.  So, assuming those tweets were riffing on the length of the Unleashed saga, I would imagine that Ian has no illusions about its flaws.  That's just my perception, though.

Seems like the case. At least he actually has some degree of humility to himself.

9 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Seems like the case. At least he actually has some degree of humility to himself.

Yes, he always says in videos that he avoids being arrogant or thinking he's hot stuff.

• Thumbs Up 4

Oh, there are going to be some dirty jokes over what he's holding...  Still, I'm pumped at how much talent they're nabbing back from the Archie line.  Kinda surprised we haven't seen any art from any IDW artists at this point.

EQFODPG.gifBOY, these next five days will sure take foreeeever to pass

edit: also, that freakin' hair pattern.... .... ..... ....... .........

*NikoS_Head EXPLODES

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

6 minutes ago, Neon Talking CC14 said:

Our first character teaser, courtesy of the Facebook group and new Evan Stanley art!

M41bVEs.jpg

The full image will be revealed in five days.

Looks like he's grabbing someone by the tail. Looks like a new character too. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

8 minutes ago, Neon Talking CC14 said:

Our first character teaser, courtesy of the Facebook group and new Evan Stanley art!

M41bVEs.jpg

The full image will be revealed in five days.

Evan Stanley! YEEEE

Wait, who's hand is that?

• Thumbs Up 2

inb4 fans make some joke out of the silhouette like with the Deadly Six. I'd love to see that, honestly, sadly there's that question mark covering it.

25 minutes ago, Dr. Jack said:

inb4 fans make some joke out of the silhouette like with the Deadly Six. I'd love to see that, honestly, sadly there's that question mark covering it.

In that case, it's the brand new Sonic character you've all been waiting for since 2010.

6a00d83452033569e20120a5b6d54c970c-600wi

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 3