Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

By the way, is Bumblekast tomorrow? I'm still waiting for an answer for my question which I sent him last month :P (which is if some games's events are acknowledged like SA2 for example).

The waiting line is sure long.

15 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

By the way, is Bumblekast tomorrow? I'm still waiting for an answer for my question which I sent him last month :P (which is if some games's events are acknowledged like SA2 for example).

The waiting line is sure long.

Yes, BumbleKast happens every other Monday.

36 minutes ago, DarkRula said:

Don't forget, Sonic Adventure 2 was pretty much covered as nothing but flashbacks in one part of the first Sonic Universe arc.

Well, considering it was originally set up as a cliffhanger lead-in in Issue 98 or whatever, during the period where Tails wasn't Tails and Knuckles was Green, it was the only way to accurately do that.

37 minutes ago, DarkRula said:

Going by said symbols and meanings - it would be better if Infinite willingly joined Eggman, not just because he was called out by a certain someone for being weak. He willingly takes the mantle of Infinite, and the story is presented as being themed around the choices we make, as shown by Infinite and Avatar.

That is what happened in the tie-in comic and DLC, though.

Yes, Infinite voluntarily takes on the mask and the ruby because he wants to become more powerful, and he was an evil mercenary from the start. So there is no stupidly tragic backstory here.

35 minutes ago, Dr. Jack said:

Yes, Infinite voluntarily takes on the mask and the ruby because he wants to become more powerful, and he was an evil mercenary from the start. So there is no stupidly tragic backstory here.

Did people want a tragic backstory?

6 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Did people want a tragic backstory?

We have enough tragic backstories, like Shadow (who is not downright evil). But with Infinite, we have a chance to have a character who is a real villain lacking empathy, with real apetite for destruction.

With Infinite, we have a really good opportunity to show a character who is downright evil, a person with no remorse= sociopath, a pure a######, someone who can't be changed. Basically someone who should never receive a second chance.

It's an opportunity to show a character that really deserves what he gets. A character that the heroes can imprison and have no pity for him because he's that bad.

DSCA9MbWkAAGbJ5.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

23 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

Sonic Rivals 2 pretty much laid it out. When he confronts Rouge in Neon Palace Zone Act 2, she asks if he likes games and his response is "Not really". So him having any sort of gambling problem is very unlikely based off that. And it makes sense; the games have portrayed Espio as being completely no-nonsense with his ninja conduct, with his only underscoring flaw with them being that he can be too corny about it in how serious he takes it. 

I generally find that Ian had problems grasping Espio's character in general as he came off as too infantile compared to his game counterpart (most fans have that issue with Vector, but Ian was good at balancing that), both pre and post-reboot. And honestly, I can't blame Ian 100% for that as Western writers across the board seem to have issues with writing the characters who are super serious (Omega both in Archie and Chronicles, Shadow in Boom) so it seems that there's a bit of difference in the way different countries write characters in play on top of individual writing styles. 

It did feel a tad weird, although, I must admit I liked it more than I didn't when it came to someone like Espio. I think Espio's strength as a character, that's often ignored by the fanbase, is that he has the flexability within him to be one of those "serious" characters that are funny simply by being a member of the Chaotix. I may not have liked how Vector was treated in Sonic X, for example, but a lot of the goober moments Espio had in the show I found pretty endearing. I feel like if there isn't some form of that then he runs the risk of being just another serious guy. I know the fanbase loves that type of stuff but I've gone on and on about how my favorites are the ones who act more crazy and weird and fun. Or at least the ones who have the potential to be that way. 

Maybe they could go for a different type of humor with him or something. Like how they do comedy with Garnet on Steven Universe. 

49 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

We have enough tragic backstories, like Shadow (who is not downright evil). But with Infinite, we have a chance to have a character who is a real villain lacking empathy, with real apetite for destruction.

With Infinite, we have a really good opportunity to show a character who is downright evil, a person with no remorse= sociopath, a pure a######, someone who can't be changed. Basically someone who should never receive a second chance.

It's an opportunity to show a character that really deserves what he gets. A character that the heroes can imprison and have no pity for him because he's that bad.

DSCA9MbWkAAGbJ5.jpg

Ooh, nice picture.

I'm still trying to figure out Infinite as a character (which to his credit, means there is something to debate. No like Deadly Six),

Right now I'm seeing him as a being bully who was always messed up (look at those freaky eyes, the fact that in the comic Ruby showed him flames). Shadow kicking his ass just hurt his pride and motivated him to became THE biggest bully, so no one can stop his bullying rampage in the future.

• Thumbs Up 2

18 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

E8_E160_C9_9416_4487_B01_E_4_FC3_C216_EBCD.jpg

A little more has been revealed here. Any guesses?

The top of the head looks like a bow; although, it could just be his/her ears with a strand of head fur in the middle sticking out.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

Oh, I thought you all had already talked about this. I'm usually late to the party.

I don't know why but I'm picturing a fluffy, light blue character. A sheep maybe. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

32 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

E8_E160_C9_9416_4487_B01_E_4_FC3_C216_EBCD.jpg

A little more has been revealed here. Any guesses?

I dunno why but that thing coming out of the right side of their head looks to me like it has a warmer shade of colour in it, like warm yellow or something...

I could be wrong though.

On 1/20/2018 at 1:06 PM, JosepHenry said:

Of course they don't let the worst possible story (ShadowTH game story) get changed for possibly something better. That's so you SEGA.

Sega is run by like- 6 different directors! they argue on how sonic will turn out in the future! and they know shadow's backstory is hella confusing so they don't allow us or anyone else to touch shadow's past because they just want the topic of how fucked up shadow is to drop XD but Sega doesn't care enough to let shadow back into the spotlight due to the younger audiences .-.

5 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

...what if it's Sally with her StC design? *cough*

I thought that couldn't be used, Ricky seems more likely, I don't know though, I'm confused as I haven't read StC. It could be Sally with a new design, perhaps.

Looking at the hands there, it looks slightly like the cuffs of a jacket or coat. I agree that there's what looks like a bow at the top. Too neat to be hair. 

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

Sally Acorn's inspiration, apparently.

Kind of, sort of, but not quite.

Here's the history of it.

Sonic 1 had seven types of animals in it. Flicky, from the 1984 arcade game, and six new characters - Picky, Pecky, Pocky, Rocky, Ricky and Cucky.

When Sonic 1 was being localized by Sega of America, they created their own names for the characters (either because they didn't know the Japanese names, or because they wanted to do their own thing). 

Picky - Porker Lewis
Pecky - Tux
Pocky - Johnny Lightfoot
Rocky - Joe Sushi
Ricky - Sally Acorn
Cucky - Chirps

Flicky was an established character, so remained Flicky. 

They kept the same designs as their Japanese counterparts, except Sally Acorn was given a red bow in her hair and Tux (the penguin) was given a black bow tie.

None of these names made it into any of the games themselves, or even the instruction manuals. They were however, used extensively in merchandise, children's books and so on. The American Sonic 1 promotional comic is probably the earliest example. Notably, they all appeared in early issues of the UK's "Sonic the Comic", but only Porker Lewis, Johnny Lightfoot and Sally Acorn were ever called by name. Sally was quickly dropped, whereas Johnny and Porker became core cast members and were redesigned to be more humanoid and wear clothes.

When the "Sonic the Hedgehog" cartoon was in development, one of the earlier ideas was that it would feature Sonic and all seven of his friends, drastically redesigned, as the "Freedom Team". http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Early_Sonic_the_Hedgehog_cartoon?file=Freedom_team.jpg

The idea evolved to the point where the Freedom Team became the Freedom Fighters and only Sally Acorn remained. (Though Boomer/Rotor was likely an evolution of the Joe Sushi character.) The early Archie comics were based on this show whilst it was still in production, which is why it had some oddities. In #0 Sally is a reddish colour with blonde hair. Rotor is called Boomer. From her second appearance onwards, Sally is pink with dark hair, which is how she appeared in the pilot episode of the cartoon. Eventually the comics switched over to how Sally looked in every other episode of the show. Boomer's name was changed to Rotor in the comics, but he continued to have his design based on the pilot episode. (Rotor had three designs in the show - the pilot design, the season 1 design and the season 2 design. The Archie comics bulked him out a bit and later had their own takes, but they never fully embraced how Rotor looked in season 1 or 2 of the show.)

Once the Sonic cartoons were out, western Sonic media started to reflect them, so Tux, Chirps, Johnny Lightfoot and co were phased out.

By 1997 Sonic tie-in media had died down. When Sonic Jam was released they used the Japanese names for Sonic's friends - Ricky, Rocky, Pocky, Picky, Pecky, Cucky and Flicky. They continued to use these names when they returned years later in Sonic Generations, Sonic Runners and so on.

The Archie comics series ran for an unprecedented length of time, so Sally Acorn remained a known quantity, having really taken on a life of her own within the franchise.

But essentially, all Sally Acorn was ever originally intended to be was the squirrel from Sonic 1.

If it is StC Sally with the bow, the head looks so weird. If it's a bow tie on the head, where are her ears? Given we can see the fur on the side of her head, she's either looking side way or at a quarter view. In both cases we should be able to see her ears.