Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

On 22.1.2018 at 3:54 PM, Marco9966 said:

Bumblekast: Ian Flynn insists that not everything is gonna appear by issue 1. If a character or an element doesnt appear doesnt mean he hate a character. Give him time. He doesnt want to frontload the book with so much stuff that it becomes unreadable. It's still issue 1 and it's still the beginning, we don't want 20 years worth of complicated lore shoved in one issue.

He also stresses that any characters that are not game-canon can only appear if Sega agrees.

So if a certain character doesnt show up on the first issue, don't spam! Wether it's on the facebook group or here. (I'm looking at you Sally fans).

I just want to know if there's a place x at time t on a function f(x,t) (which present the comics timeline in a way) marked as the point where characters come to the comics. I'm not asking that point being value of x at the time t=0 you know.

I just want to know are they really coming or not, so don't start this with me.

And I'm even not really that much of a Sally fan. I like Antoine better. :D

And if I recall right Mr. Flynn's said he isn't too good with mathematics, so this'll prolly fly over his head if he ever sees this.

And gee, I dunno, something makes me feel a bit off when it comes to this new book. People telling me to give it a chance whatever it's eaten makes me want to answer sure if you're willing to pay every payment needed to get me one. I can tell you some fees are pretty high.

Today I've been reading old pre-reboot Archie Sonic issues and I realised I'd never feel as inspired after reading a Sonic book from some other continuity, even when some post-reboot books manage to come pretty close. Truth hits everybody, and it sure hits hard.

Obligatory reference of the day is though, the only certain thing in life is death.

• Thumbs Up 1

I mean, if you hate Forces' story, isn't better it takes place after? Then you don't have to suffer through an adaption. And it doesn't really make much of a difference if Sonic is part of a resistance or freedom fighting team or on his own. It's a comic. He'll have to interact with people, whether their his team or random people, and he'll still go off and do his own thing when he wants.

I know I'm happy I never have to suffer through the Lost World adaption.

Also, that silhouette is clearly not any of the FF.

• Thumbs Up 3

3 minutes ago, Marcello said:

I mean, if you hate Forces' story, isn't better it takes place after? Then you don't have to suffer through an adaption.

It didn't have to be either, though. It could've ignored Forces entirely. It could've been set in an entirely separate universe where Forces never happened.

3 minutes ago, Marcello said:

And it doesn't really make much of a difference if Sonic is part of a resistance or freedom fighting team or on his own. It's a comic. He'll have to interact with people, whether their his team or random people, and he'll still go off and do his own thing when he wants.

It absolutely matters. Him being on an official "team" or not is going to affect his relationships with characters and his freedom to act on his own.

• Thumbs Up 2

@ Anti Archie People

For what it's worth, it was repeatedly implied that the Unbreakable Bond and Team Rose were only occasionally hanging with the Freedom Fighters in some adventures. The Shattered World Crisis that started the reboot just tied in with them having a ship to convene on and travel around with for the duration of that greater arc. And the issues afterwards were clearly moving to establish other areas of interest for each of the characters and have the game characters go off on their own adventures again.

Bad timing just prolonged and most unfortunately nixed things.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Chuckle 1
  • Fist Bump 1

1 hour ago, Diogenes said:

And if this is supposed to be a follow-up to Forces, is this Sega/Sonic Team's vision for the future of the games, too? Was Forces some kind of stealth pseudo-reboot to bring in Archie Sonic concepts with the serial numbers filed off?

Another reboot? How many are they now? 3 or 5 maybe? 

2 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

It didn't have to be either, though. It could've ignored Forces entirely. It could've been set in an entirely separate universe where Forces never happened.

It absolutely matters. Him being on an official "team" or not is going to affect his relationships with characters and his freedom to act on his own.

But he must be with other people to talk with! It's a comic! We can't have a story like Sonic Colors! He will not be on his own!

For example, Unleashed game had Sonic alone, but the comic required more characters and situations.

I'm just amazed at how volatile the fanbase can be seriously. One second they are happy for a new comic but lord forbid it takes off from forces as a story element then it's a flip to this is not good or not what I Want.  Ian will do good and the artist look like they are putting a lot more effort into this than sonic team ever could so I'm going into this with high hopes and excitment

• Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 4

Just now, Marco9966 said:

But he must be with other people to talk with! It's a comic! We can't have a story like Sonic Colors! He will not be on his own!

For example, Unleashed game had Sonic alone, but the comic required more characters and situations.

Wrong! The games had Tails, Eggman, guest stars(Chip, Yacker, Deadly Six(?)), and occasionally Amy and Knuckles for him to bounce off of.

Just now, DabigRG said:

Wrong! The games had Tails, Eggman, guest stars(Chip, Yacker, Deadly Six(?)), and occasionally Amy and Knuckles for him to bounce off of.

Yes but the comic undeniably needs more characters than the games to sustain its stories on the long-term!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Just now, DabigRG said:

Plus minor characters like Professor Pickle. Oh, but on the other hand, none of the guests were as good as the old standbys.

Just now, Marco9966 said:

Yes but the comic undeniably needs more characters than the games to sustain its stories on the long-term!

Agreed. 

I was just teasing ya. :lol: 

1 minute ago, DabigRG said:

Well, I'm curious, how many issues one could make out of that? :huh:

Really, just got curious.

Just now, BlueSky said:

Well, I'm curious, how many issues one could make out of that? :huh:

Really, just got curious.

Probably about 3 years depending on the plotting and the supporting elements.

1 minute ago, Miragnarok said:

Plus minor characters like Professor Pickle. Oh, but on the other hand, none of the guests were as good as the old standbys.

And why, pray tell, would you say that?

Personally, I was one of the people who really enjoyed Forces' story and I think it makes a neat jumping-on point status quo-wise with a lot of room for fleshing out. As for Sonic being on a team vs. a free agent...can't say I've ever cared too much. So long as the stories are fun and enjoyable, I don't mind it either way.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 3

8 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Nobody is saying that he shouldn't or doesn't have to talk to people. You can talk to people without forming an official team with them. They are two separate ideas.

6 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Probably about 3 years depending on the plotting and the supporting elements.

Okay, I suppose I could buy that, but I dunno, 3 years is an awfully short time for a monthly comics issuewise.

And what's this talk about Prof. Pickle not being awesome? Jeez!

Sheesh, the drama bomb.

Personally, I'm kinda excited to Sonic Forces adaptation (sequel? We shall see). This game had some fun ideas. It just needed time to use them, dialogue written by a competent writer and ability to actually show fight with fake-villains or resistance do anything. Seems like putting it in a comics by Flynn solves all of those problems at once.

I see why some people aren't too happy to see Forces again so fast, and this can easily fall into pitfalls of other adaptation stories (like wasting our time with things we already have seen.) Plus I get that this sorta replacement for Freedom Fighters can be iffy for some. I'll leave judgment about that till comic comes out.

• Thumbs Up 3

17 minutes ago, BlueSky said:

Okay, I suppose I could buy that, but I dunno, 3 years is an awfully short time for a monthly comics issuewise.

And what's this talk about Prof. Pickle not being awesome? Jeez!

I know, right? I mean, who doesn't loved an old man who looks like a Pixar Muppet, likes cucumber sandwiches(sliced THINLY, if you please), and sometimes does an awkward dance?

Oh, and can move faster than the speed of sound!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

18 minutes ago, ShadowSJG said:

What is issue 1 solicitation?

We don't know yet. The solicits for issues 1-4 were due out tomorrow but for some reason #2 was released today. 

I was probably wrong when I said the comics should cater towards game fans, since they are anti-comics, anti-games, well, some of them at least. I don't know anymore. I'm a simple Sonic fan, when I see good writing and good drawings, I buy the comics. I'm wondering if there are still simple Sonic fans around, probably yes but not on the internet. Good for me though, I will surely enjoy them :)

2 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

I know, right? I mean, who doesn't loved an old man who looks like a Pixar Muppet, likes cucumber sandwiches(sliced THINLY, if you please), and sometimes does an awkward dance?

Oh, and can move faster than the speed of sound!

Yup, he's freaking hardcore. ^_^

Though I think he was used well in the late Archie Sonic.

Murr.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

Skeptical about the Sonic Forces tie-in, I really wanted to see a new story, but we'll see how it goes. Ian Flynn is a good Sonic writer.

• Nice Smile 1