Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

I don't think Forces is a bad thing. It just so happen to be the newest game in the series (and unfortunately shares many things with the Archie Sonic in formula and atmosphere). It doesn't mean IDW will be "Sonic & the FF" formula for the entirety, or guarantee the comic will be "strictly game-canon". Archie Sonic had adaptations of games that blended in with their universe, and some of them were well received (memorable is Champions). I mean, there are people who disliked the Unleashed game but liked the adaption. Pre-Archie cancellation, I was actually looking forward to a Lost World adaptation because I didn't like the game story much and wondered how Ian would handle it.

I think this still counts as starting “fresh new", as in “not related to any of the previous adaptations”. I’m surprised people thought there would be zero connection to the game whatsoever. I'm guessing IDW will be more game world based than Archie, but I’m sure they’ll be expanding and adding on to it like Archie did.

If the writers are creative (many members from Archie, plus some fan favorites) and the rules aren’t stupid (Most of what I heard was reasonable & I’m sure they said Sega will be more loose/flexible with their rules), there shouldn’t be much concern.

19 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

8vVW1x.jpg

Yeah, this'll be the greatest troll ever if it turns out not to be Sally.

Is it just me or the mobian looks fluffy? Like, VERY fluffy.

If it's Sally, it looks like a hybrid of the modern Chipmunk version and StC Squirrel version. Though I'm not sure if that's how you draw a squirrel tail.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, antyep said:

Ack!! Never joke about that! They’ll punish us with a new game, again XD

Is that so?

It's OBVIOUSLY Spyro. It isn't anyone else, no siree, it is most certainly Spyro of all people. No one but the original Spyro from the PS1 era.

that'll work

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

1 minute ago, Red said:

What if it's this Sally?

DMok8iFUQAADcdN.jpg

As much as I like that Sally design, I kinda doubt it.

Unless they give her pants, I guess.

2 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

I like that Amy will star in Issue 2 rather than Knuckles since I see her get sidelined in favor of him often. 

Some would argue it was the other way around.

2 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

I really like how the sheep girl in the cover looks.

2 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

The cover with the goat girl. She looks stylish.

Same.

2 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

I love the teaser thing they pulled in hindsight.

5 days before release; Fans: It's Sally!

3 days before release; Fans: It's Antoine!

Now; 

Hey, I'm down for it. Sheep are my second-favourite animal. 

Ch'yeah. :lol:

Also, is it bad that listening to this song while continuing to read makes me think of the minus8 version?

2 hours ago, JosepHenry said:

I hope they are important, they look really cute

AND THERE'S A JACKAL BEHIND THE NOT ECHIDNA KID

1 hour ago, dylan tix said:

I'm pretty upset about this too, but more because I wanted to see an actual Forces adaptation and not the aftermath (and I also knew everyone was going to react negatively). I guess it'll be fine since I'm sure they will do original storylines after this. I hope at least the red wolf avatar will show up then and become an official character of his own as the true main Avatar. Please at least do that Ian. Maybe he really is the mystery character they're teasing. 

That would be cool.

Granted, the game ended on the note that Buddy off to his own adventure in the other direction, but whatever.

1 hour ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

There is a silver lining to this, however: It could (and I'm hoping) that this is an alternate continuity from the games, like how the Archie Comics were.

Well, it kinda has to be.

You know, if the mystery character is being hyped up like this and would revealed with tomorrow's content...everyone who had interest in IDW because they thought it would have more focus on the game cast and de-emphasise the FFs after all these years might as well quit out right now. 

13 minutes ago, Polkadi said:

Is that so?

It's OBVIOUSLY Spyro. It isn't anyone else, no siree, it is most certainly Spyro of all people. No one but the original Spyro from the PS1 era.

that'll work

*sigh* if only that’ll work, then we’ll have a Spyro trilogy, but that’s a topic for another thread.

• Thumbs Up 1

Interesting slew of opinions on this so far. I'm going to admit to having more positive feelings about this though and be on the opposite end of the spectrum here.

The reason the lead up to Forces actually ended up being more exciting to me than actual Forces was because I felt that the premise behind it was the most interesting concept you could tackle with a Sonic game. I know it's been done in different flavors in other material related to Sonic but the idea of it happening in the games was an adventure I wanted to live out the fantasy of. When the game came out, however, it wasn't interested in doing that at all. It had the set-up and it had the characters but the execution actually saw not a lot of it being taken advantage of at all. I saw someone say the story was dragged out but it really wasn't. It threw us in there, expected us to get the jist of everything, didn't bother with anything to help make it feel like a world, didn't bother with anything that would help make it feel like a war, didn't bother with anything that would help make it feel like the characters had something the contribute, and anything cool they could have shown us was relegated to text boxes or implications that happened in the background.

Honestly, if this had turned out to have been an ACTUAL Forces adaptation (which this isn't) than I would have been cool with that too. The idea that I might have gotten a story that focused on all of that with the game characters I loved at the helm would have only served to heighten my excitement, because I know in my heart of hearts that it wouldn't at all be comparable to the game. The story for the game was written on a used napkin.

So hearing that there's actually going to be an aftermath to it makes me happy. I would have loved to have seen it within the games proper but the fact of the matter is, I feel like I have to rely on these comics to get stuff like that out of the series nowadays because I know the people in charge of the games don't care. The next Sonic game isn't going to give a shit about touching upon the aftermath of Forces. It's going to begin with some weird ramble about intergalactic space piss and trail off into an unsatisfying "narrative" of Sonic and Multiple-Personality-Tails talking about what they should be doing and most likely we'll have to run in a straight line to do it.  Similarly, I'm going into these comics feeling as though I might know relatively well how this might end up because Ian Flynn is here. Hell, the fact that it's not being made by Sonic Team already assures me that it has more promise than the games do.

All I want and all I've ever wanted was an adaptation of the games' world and not necessarily the games themselves. I love the ideas, concepts, characters, and locations the games have created and I love the idea of taking what's already been set-up and branching off from there to actually do something with it. I don't have a problem with wherever they decide to start with it. After-Forces, Before-Forces, or whatever. So long as it's not jumbled around in a confusing manner like it was before than I'm fine. The start of a new adventure with the aftermath of the old one does insinuate something new for me. There's always going to be elements of an older adventure left in the wake of something new you're creating within an existing series that's lasted as long as Sonic's has. I don't have any reason to be upset that elements from Forces are sticking around. That doesn't translate towards it being a Forces Adaptation. It's using what the games gave it as a stepping point for something grander than what they're doing with it and I'm still excited for it.

I really just want to read a Sonic comic. 

None of the "silence" has bothered me. At all. I know when the issues are coming. I'm happy waiting for them to get here when they get here. I don't need a ton of info. I didn't even really need all this revealed right this second to be perfectly honest. All it does (especially after Forces) is feed into a sometimes unhelpful hype expectancy that often does more to set you up for disappointment over something that should have had a more rational expectation attached to it. 

It's a Sonic comic set in the world of the games written by a man who knows how to, at the very least, tell an actual story. That's all I want and Sonic Team can't even give me that. What do I have to be disappointed about? 

Sally Acorn? I mean, I don't particularly like her or the role she's had in the comics but whatever. Even if she ends up dealing the biggest blow she possibly could for me by taking center stage as main heroine again I'll deal. Whatever. 

I'll complain about it when it starts to bother me but so long as the book is good and is about Modern Sonic's adventures in the game world I have nothing to latch onto as far as explicit hatred. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

*A few hours later*

5 hours ago, Mister X said:

Oh wow it IS a Forces sequel comic. Though I'm curious to see how the writing will be handled. ABT coming back was likely, but what about Skelly?

Also, the variant cover shines again! The coloring is really good.

38 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

8vVW1x.jpg

Yeah, this'll be the greatest troll ever if it turns out not to be Sally.

Why  am I getting the feeling it's either gonna be Sally that's redesigned or it's an Avatar character that almost looks like her?

This has turned from “Character Reveal” into “Sally Acorn’s Redesign Reveal” for me.

Well, I’m nice and hyped.

So some parts I'm wondering (I didn't notice the eyelash until drawing the arrow):

whosthis.thumb.jpg.1d3a8faf75cfc6ec096d36c0bb0e0e3b.jpg

1) Tiny tail between the R's, Chipmunk? Or a long tail, curling from right to left?

2) If Sonic's holding her gloves, what is that sticking out? Obviously not fingers, but not glove "wrist" either. 

3) Guessing her body's facing left, that's chest fur on the neck?  What kind of outfit is she wearing????

Looking closer, it's looking more and more like Sally, the spike above the hand looks exactly like her tail, and on top of that, there's a part right next to the left of her head that looks exactly like the collar of Sally's jacket.

But there's something strange to me. And it seems to prove Sally either got redesigned or reverted back to her previous design if it is her. She has the cheek tuffs again, which both Bunnie and Sally had removed in their 252 design.

6 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Looking closer, it's looking more and more like Sally, the spike above the hand looks exactly like her tail, and on top of that, there's a part right next to the left of her head that looks exactly like the collar of Sally's jacket.

That spike's too high up to be tail, unless she's making a weird pose

3 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

You better be wrong

Considering we've already seen Tails on the other covers and he's fucking Tails, I am 100% sure I'm wrong. It's just a joke.

• Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

I still believe that's a new character and not Sally, and I think it'd be better if you guys got your expectations in check for tomorrow.

We'll see, I guess.

• Thumbs Up 6

The writing has been on the wall that the FF are gone since last July and today's solicitation sealed it. I think we need to temper our expectations.

For all we know, the character might be a deer. The shape of the ear and it looks like there might be an antler next to it?

There's no reason to believe it's a returning character. Don't get your hopes up.

9 minutes ago, Shaddy the Zaphod said:

Considering we've already seen Tails on the other covers and he's fucking Tails, I am 100% sure I'm wrong. It's just a joke.

I know lol

1 minute ago, Johnny Boy said:

Plot twist: The character will be revealed to be Tiara Bobwoski from Sonic X-Treme.

I can actually kinda see it visually, but I don't think anyone would want that nor would we be all that satisfied with it.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1