Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

I would not even be surprised. I am actually genuinely of the belief that they're fucking with us on purpose at this point. I'm not even mad, honestly. It's kind of amazing.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 1

3 minutes ago, Shaddy the Zaphod said:

I would not even be surprised. I am actually genuinely of the belief that they're fucking with us on purpose at this point. I'm not even mad, honestly. It's kind of amazing.

I hope you're right.

I am going to be rather upset if they made this mystery character’s silhouette look that much like Sally Acorn without it actually being Sally Acorn. Like, not having the character is fine (kinda), but if they purposely got our hopes up just to generate buzz for this comic, I’m gonna be nettled.

That being said, I still totally think this is Sally.

• Nice Smile 2

12 minutes ago, NikoS said:

I don't want to be that guy, but just maaaybe the new character is not related to this tease

C'mon, y'all. Don't do this to yourselves. 

If after all that build up, especially after the silhouette ended up looking so much like Sally, the character turns out to be "not-Sally original the character", I don't know what to say. It will probably have been the worst option IDW could have chosen to reveal a new character after they've known about how many Archie fans have been on pins and needles about this.

I'm sorry, but it's starting to seem less like ignorance of the Sonic fanbase and more like blatant antagonism.

• Thumbs Up 5

1 hour ago, Shaddy the Zaphod said:

I feel like I'm missing something. I don't really feel like I've been fucked with at all. I think this silhouette has been the first time I've been confused by something leading up to the IDW reveal so far.

Maybe I'm just not anticipating the right things...? 

• Thumbs Up 4

2 minutes ago, GentlemanX said:

If after all that build up, especially after the silhouette ended up looking so much like Sally, the character turns out to be "not-Sally original the character", I don't know what to say.

It will probably have been the worst option IDW could have chosen to reveal a new character after they've known about how many Archie fans have been on pins and needles about this.

I'm sorry, but it's starting to seem less like ignorance of the Sonic fanbase and more like blatant antagonism.

Not trying to excuse anything, but I think it's a bit borderline conspiracy theory levels to assume that all from a silhouette which is easily left up to interpretation.

And really, I doubt they're poking fun at Archie fans. That's just reading too deeply into things.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think them presenting sonic characters like this isn't exactly the best idea? That concept has been continuously not successful since... sonic adventure 2, and most ently a huge fumble with infinite. 

I like I feel like it puts unreasonable expectations on this character shoulders, and not all of em can handle it. And maybe just... introducing them in a story some day and seeing if people like them enough to stick around, rather than trying to explain to me how important they are. Is the same crock of shit people were mad about the freedom fighters for. Let the audience decide who's important sometimes.  

1 minute ago, Ini Miney Jovahexeon said:

Not trying to excuse anything, but I think it's a bit borderline conspiracy theory levels to assume that all from a silhouette which is easily left up to interpretation.

To be fair, a lot of people are interpreting it as Sally. lol

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 2

4 minutes ago, GentlemanX said:

If after all that build up, especially after the silhouette ended up looking so much like Sally, the character turns out to be "not-Sally original the character", I don't know what to say. It will probably have been the worst option IDW could have chosen to reveal a new character after they've known about how many Archie fans have been on pins and needles about this.

I don't think its antagonism, I think its just them making the same mistake of archie and Sega when they try to tell you a characters important rather than just introducing them in a story and just... letting that happen. I gotta real fear whatever they introduce will kind of be met with " eh " and then they will be pushed in stories, no one will care and then kinda fade into the background. Introducing characters in long form teases only work if you have a real winner on your hands, and stiatistic shows its problably not that

2 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

8vVW1x.jpg

Yeah, these things look weird, being so similar to Sally, yet sliiiiightly different.

IDK, even if I was huge Sally fan I would have a hard time getting too angry, I'll  get right answer in just a few more hours

2 minutes ago, SSF1991 said:

To be fair, a lot of people are interpreting it as Sally. lol

That's their own fault. kek. Ya'll can't go after them IDW folk for hype you yourselves created out of a shadowy unrecognizable shape! XD

Yeah, I gotta be honest, I'm not getting antagonism from this. I'm also not feeling whatever madness has supposedly been happening up to this point either.

In this case, at the moment, it feels like just a weird decision to hide a character in a silhouette, which is something I don't think ever think turns out right when it comes to marketing.

If it's a blunder, it'll be the first one they've had for me at the moment since nothing else has disappointed me so far.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Ini Miney Jovahexeon said:

And really, I doubt they're poking fun at Archie fans. That's just reading too deeply into things.

But it obviously resembles Sally enough for people to speculate that it's her, and the fact is, this is an image drawn by Evan Stanley, of a character written by Ian Flynn, who likely had influence on said character's design. You're telling me, that if it's not Sally, neither of these people who know the fandom pretty well, nor anyone it went past, thought "hey, this kinda looks like Sally, won't it seem like we're leading the fans on"? Because if it's not Sally, I feel like it would make a fuckton more sense to come up with an interesting original design that wouldn't be confused for Sally with anyone.

• Promotion 1
  • Nice Smile 1

3 minutes ago, Ini Miney Jovahexeon said:

Almost everything indicates to be Sally if it is a character that exists somewhere. The lower left volume could had been a flame wispon (since we are in Forces canon now) but it has some fluff, like fur.

The eyelash makes it obvious it's female so not Ray return.

And if this is a brand new character, all this shape reveal for guesses would be pointless.

• Nice Smile 1

Just now, Shaddy the Zaphod said:

But it obviously resembles Sally enough for people to speculate that it's her,

One could argue anything in the dark resembles something for them with the perspective and wanting.

Besides, I'm not seeing it. My first thought was that it's a lamb. :U

I mean, let's assume that this isn't being aimed at Archie fans in the first place. because the only ones that seem to be coming to this conclusion are Archie fans from what I've seen.

1 minute ago, Korke said:

And if this is a brand new character, all this shape reveal for guesses would be pointless.

Maybe to someone who wants Sally back. For me and others, it's a new character. That's all. No big weight to it or nothing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Ini Miney Jovahexeon said:

That's their own fault. kek. Ya'll can't go after them for hype you yourselves created out of a shadowy unrecognizable shape! XD

They have been teasing this reveal every day for almost a week. And every post has been increasingly more emotional. When you say things like "One more day! One more day! *pantpantpant* ONE MORE DAY!!" then, yes, people will react to that accordingly. They're building up hype and have been creating it.

And, to be fair, if the shape was "unrecognizable", then this many people wouldn't think it's Sally.

• Thumbs Up 5

Just now, SSF1991 said:

And, to be fair, if the shape was "unrecognizable", then this many people wouldn't think it's Sally.

Again, how many of those people have read Archie Comics post SGW? I'm gonna assume the majority of those coming to the conclusion.

Again, this comic isn't trying to replicate the Archie Comics. And they certainly aren't trying to antagonize Archie fans. Intrigue, mystify and get people talking? Sure.

But unless that turns out to be a chipmunk who actually DOES end looking like Sally, but truly isn't, you've got a wild goose chase here.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Mister X said:

Guys it's Lara-Su, calm down.

Like Penders would be sane enough to let his character in IDW. I wish he was, but HIGHLY imposs-unlikely.

Just now, PublicEnemy1 said:

Like Penders would be sane enough to let his character in IDW. I wish he was, but HIGHLY imposs-unlikely.

Considering how much of a Mary Sue, Lara-Su was, it's probably for the best anyway.

1 minute ago, Ini Miney Jovahexeon said:

For me and others, it's a new character. That's all. No big weight to it or nothing.

And why would they make such fuss over a brand new OC? To make the fans speculate, searching for various existing characters' shapes to compare.... just to screw with them?

1 minute ago, Korke said:

And why would they make such fuss over a brand new OC?

Same reason Sticks was such a big deal prior to Boom getting off the ground. New characters tend to get more and more people talking. Regardless of the context. It suggests a shaking up to the norm to have a new character possibly be added to the fold or new continuity.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1