Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

2 minutes ago, GentlemanX said:

If after all that build up, especially after the silhouette ended up looking so much like Sally, the character turns out to be "not-Sally original the character", I don't know what to say.

It will probably have been the worst option IDW could have chosen to reveal a new character after they've known about how many Archie fans have been on pins and needles about this.

I'm sorry, but it's starting to seem less like ignorance of the Sonic fanbase and more like blatant antagonism.

Not trying to excuse anything, but I think it's a bit borderline conspiracy theory levels to assume that all from a silhouette which is easily left up to interpretation.

And really, I doubt they're poking fun at Archie fans. That's just reading too deeply into things.

I think them presenting sonic characters like this isn't exactly the best idea? That concept has been continuously not successful since... sonic adventure 2, and most ently a huge fumble with infinite. 

I like I feel like it puts unreasonable expectations on this character shoulders, and not all of em can handle it. And maybe just... introducing them in a story some day and seeing if people like them enough to stick around, rather than trying to explain to me how important they are. Is the same crock of shit people were mad about the freedom fighters for. Let the audience decide who's important sometimes.  

1 minute ago, Ini Miney Jovahexeon said:

Not trying to excuse anything, but I think it's a bit borderline conspiracy theory levels to assume that all from a silhouette which is easily left up to interpretation.

To be fair, a lot of people are interpreting it as Sally. lol

4 minutes ago, GentlemanX said:

If after all that build up, especially after the silhouette ended up looking so much like Sally, the character turns out to be "not-Sally original the character", I don't know what to say. It will probably have been the worst option IDW could have chosen to reveal a new character after they've known about how many Archie fans have been on pins and needles about this.

I'm sorry, but it's starting to seem less like ignorance of the Sonic fanbase and more like blatant antagonism.

I don't think its antagonism, I think its just them making the same mistake of archie and Sega when they try to tell you a characters important rather than just introducing them in a story and just... letting that happen. I gotta real fear whatever they introduce will kind of be met with " eh " and then they will be pushed in stories, no one will care and then kinda fade into the background. Introducing characters in long form teases only work if you have a real winner on your hands, and stiatistic shows its problably not that

2 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

8vVW1x.jpg

Yeah, these things look weird, being so similar to Sally, yet sliiiiightly different.

IDK, even if I was huge Sally fan I would have a hard time getting too angry, I'll  get right answer in just a few more hours

Yeah, I gotta be honest, I'm not getting antagonism from this. I'm also not feeling whatever madness has supposedly been happening up to this point either.

In this case, at the moment, it feels like just a weird decision to hide a character in a silhouette, which is something I don't think ever think turns out right when it comes to marketing.

If it's a blunder, it'll be the first one they've had for me at the moment since nothing else has disappointed me so far.

Just now, Ini Miney Jovahexeon said:

And really, I doubt they're poking fun at Archie fans. That's just reading too deeply into things.

But it obviously resembles Sally enough for people to speculate that it's her, and the fact is, this is an image drawn by Evan Stanley, of a character written by Ian Flynn, who likely had influence on said character's design. You're telling me, that if it's not Sally, neither of these people who know the fandom pretty well, nor anyone it went past, thought "hey, this kinda looks like Sally, won't it seem like we're leading the fans on"? Because if it's not Sally, I feel like it would make a fuckton more sense to come up with an interesting original design that wouldn't be confused for Sally with anyone.

3 minutes ago, Ini Miney Jovahexeon said:

Almost everything indicates to be Sally if it is a character that exists somewhere. The lower left volume could had been a flame wispon (since we are in Forces canon now) but it has some fluff, like fur.

The eyelash makes it obvious it's female so not Ray return.

And if this is a brand new character, all this shape reveal for guesses would be pointless.

Just now, Shaddy the Zaphod said:

But it obviously resembles Sally enough for people to speculate that it's her,

One could argue anything in the dark resembles something for them with the perspective and wanting.

Besides, I'm not seeing it. My first thought was that it's a lamb. :U

I mean, let's assume that this isn't being aimed at Archie fans in the first place. because the only ones that seem to be coming to this conclusion are Archie fans from what I've seen.

1 minute ago, Korke said:

And if this is a brand new character, all this shape reveal for guesses would be pointless.

Maybe to someone who wants Sally back. For me and others, it's a new character. That's all. No big weight to it or nothing.

Just now, Ini Miney Jovahexeon said:

That's their own fault. kek. Ya'll can't go after them for hype you yourselves created out of a shadowy unrecognizable shape! XD

They have been teasing this reveal every day for almost a week. And every post has been increasingly more emotional. When you say things like "One more day! One more day! *pantpantpant* ONE MORE DAY!!" then, yes, people will react to that accordingly. They're building up hype and have been creating it.

And, to be fair, if the shape was "unrecognizable", then this many people wouldn't think it's Sally.

Just now, SSF1991 said:

And, to be fair, if the shape was "unrecognizable", then this many people wouldn't think it's Sally.

Again, how many of those people have read Archie Comics post SGW? I'm gonna assume the majority of those coming to the conclusion.

Again, this comic isn't trying to replicate the Archie Comics. And they certainly aren't trying to antagonize Archie fans. Intrigue, mystify and get people talking? Sure.

But unless that turns out to be a chipmunk who actually DOES end looking like Sally, but truly isn't, you've got a wild goose chase here.

1 minute ago, Ini Miney Jovahexeon said:

For me and others, it's a new character. That's all. No big weight to it or nothing.

And why would they make such fuss over a brand new OC? To make the fans speculate, searching for various existing characters' shapes to compare.... just to screw with them?

1 minute ago, Korke said:

And why would they make such fuss over a brand new OC?

Same reason Sticks was such a big deal prior to Boom getting off the ground. New characters tend to get more and more people talking. Regardless of the context. It suggests a shaking up to the norm to have a new character possibly be added to the fold or new continuity.

Again, how many of those people have read Archie Comics post SGW? I'm gonna assume the majority of those coming to the conclusion.

Well, yeah. It's Sonic comics. A lot of them were Archie Sonic fans. And the post-SGW has been argued as one of the best eras of Archie Sonic. They moved to IDW because, well, more Sonic comics. Why is that a bad thing, and how does that ruin their interpretations? This isn't an interpretation that people have been pulling out of their ass, people have explained why they think it's Sally and they're very fair reasons. Being an Archie Sonic fan has nothing to do with it.

Again, this comic isn't trying to replicate the Archie Comics.

No one said it is. How did you even get this from a character interpretation?

9 minutes ago, Ini Miney Jovahexeon said:

And they certainly aren't trying to antagonize Archie fans. Intrigue, mystify and get people talking? Sure.

I wouldn't go far as to say they're "trying to antagonize Archie fans", but I do think this character reveal hasn't been executed well.

The people working on the comics should have noticed that it looked like Sally in the first place, if they really wanted to reveal a character that wasn't related to Sally. Again, there's this many fans that are nearly certain it still is her, yet it's totally reasonable to assume creative team themselves could all just miss the resemblance completely? If it's not Sally, then nobody should have believed it was in the first place. But they did, which means if it's an entirely unrelated character, IDW either fucked up in a way beyond believability, or is trying to get the Archie crowd in by leading to believe that it's Sally, which would backfire royally. I don't see what other explanation there is for this.

3 minutes ago, Ini Miney Jovahexeon said:

Same reason Sticks was such a big deal prior to Boom getting off the ground. New characters tend to get more and more people talking. Regardless of the context. It suggests a shaking up to the norm to have a new character possibly be added to the fold or new continuity.

Sticks didn't have a teaser reveal

She wasn't that  big of a deal either, she wasn't even playable in the first thing they released. " hey new character" and that was about it

Jesus christ are people seriously thinking the character is intentionally designed to look like Sally just to trick people? They're teasing a new character to promote a new comic, which is entirely reasonable, and the head in silhouette looking vaguely like an existing character's does not mean this is some sort of trick. Y'all are being ridiculous.

There were people that thought Sticks was Marine, but that comparison is like apples and oranges with the situation we've got right now. No one was expecting or hoping Marine would be in Boom. Whether the Freedom Fighters were going to be in IDW has been a sticking point since this was announced.