Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

1 hour ago, Chameleon94 said:

I think the mandates are a good thing for the most part, they let Sonic be what he should be about, the issue is that there can't be character development for the game cast. SEGA still gave a lot of freedom to Ian though in post-reboot, they let Sonic continue being part of the Freedom Fighters, and they also kept the Egg Army. I still don't see the importance of the SatAM cast anyway, they were important in the cartoon, and in the Archie comic, but why should they appear in this new one? A lot of people grew up with them, I know, but I was a fan of Sonic X for example, it'd be great to see Topaz, Cosmo, Sam and other characters, but we don't really need them, and they aren't coming back anyway, I made my peace with it. What's important to me is that there is good writing for the Sega cast.

Was Sonic a part of the Freedom Fighters post-reboot? Didn't seem that way to me; more like he was working with them, rather than as a part of them.

1 hour ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

You know what i'll take it. Stories about  Sonic saving a cat from a tree or the FF getting part time jobs are better then no stories at all. XD

Gotcha covered:

As for IDW vs. SEGA, I would imagine that they both realize this is a partnership, and a middle ground would have to be met on some things. For instance, I doubt SEGA could very well say "we want a new issue every two weeks, and it has to be 80 pages long and retail for $1.99 USD."

They'd probably be met with a line about wanting unicorns atop a mountains of gold and diamonds. If the book is to be sustainable, SEGA is probably going to have to concede to IDW's expertise somewhere along the way.

You know I still have a nagging feeling that the book will end up being a more comedy/slice of life driven type deal.

I mean look at the solicits for the unreleased Archie Books.  Sonic & Honey filming a Power Rangers parody, the Freedom Fighters in a baking contest?  What if "funny & light hearted" is the direction they are going for?  What if just like they try to emulate Teen Titans Go! with Boom they try to emulate the feel of shows like We Bare Bears with the comic?

You know what i'll take it. Stories about  Sonic saving a cat from a tree or the FF getting part time jobs are better then no stories at all. XD

You are now picturing the daily ordeals of Blaze the cat working and serving gelato in a small Spagonia shop, while waiting for Eggman Nega's next attack. I never knew I needed something so much until this day.

I could kinda get behind that. Maybe Sally could be a data analyst for a police department or be a cop, Bunnie working at a hair salon, Rotor working in a car shop and Antoine...maybe a cook or something 

7 hours ago, antyep said:

I could kinda get behind that. Maybe Sally could be a data analyst for a police department or be a cop, Bunnie working at a hair salon, Rotor working in a car shop and Antoine...maybe a cook or something 

Coming soon in issue 10 of IDW's Sonic Comic!

Introducing Bunnie Rabbot! The best beautician this side of Green Hill! When the heinous Dr. Eggman tries to invade the land again, this country lovin' cyborg jumps into action and shaves a few lessons off the villains face and gives him a new outlook on hygiene!

What does Eggman look like without a mustache? Can you handle those beautified lashes of pure wickedness?! The answers will finally be revealed!

...I dunno. lol

Edit

This isn't a crack at you. I actually LOVE that idea. I was just giving an example of SEGA's take.

Also kind of Random but if anyone is interested in checking out IDW Publishing's other franchised works here is a master list of other properties they have rights to or have worked on over the years

-The A-Team

-Angel

-Angry Birds

-Battle Beasts

-Ben10

-Castlevania

-CSI

-Dexter's Laboratory

-Doctor Who

-Donald Duck

-Duck Avenger

-Ducktales

-Dungeons & Dragons

-Ed, Edd N Eddy

-Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends

-Ghost Busters

-G.I. Joe

-Godzilla

-Grim Adventures of Bily & Mandy

-Hana Zuki

-Jem & The Holograms

-Johnny Bravo

-Judge Dredd

-Jurassic Park

-Littlest Pet Shop

-Magic The Gathering

-Mars Attacks

-Metal Gear Solid

-Micronauts

-Mickey Mouse

-The Mummy

-My Little Pony

-Orphan Black

-Popeye

-Powerpuff Girls

-ROM

-Samurai Jack

-Scarface

-Shaun of The Dead

-Silent Hill

-Skylanders

-Speed Racer

-Star Trek

-Star Wars

-Strawberry Shortcake

-Tangled

-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

-True Blood

-Visionaries

-X-Files

-Yo-Kai Watch

This week has been a bit of a roller coaster. From the original announcement on the Twitch stream, to the Archie cancelation and to IDW picking it up. Honestly, when Aaron spoke on the stream about the future of the comics, that is what I thought would happen.

I only recently have got back into the comics and was glad to see it being picked up by IDW. What happens next in regard to staff will be important, I'd like to see Ian and the Archie staff being considered as it would be good to get a solid base and also allow them to bring in new talent as well who can learn from the likes of Tracy, Jennifer, Evan, Tyson etc. As for crossovers, I like the idea of crossovers (yes even with MLP) 

I won't comment too much on the stories and whether previous characters should or should not be in it, as long as the comic is interesting and fun to read, I will be very happy and onboard.

We will probably never know exactly when the decision to cancel with Archie was made, but the only regret I have (apart from leaving the fans in the dark) is where this left the staff during that time. Did they know exactly what was happening, how did the stoppage/cancelation affect their day to day work and day to day lives? Hopefully they had been able to sort out other small pieces of work during this time and now know where they stand.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing what IDW have planned with Sonic in the future and grateful to Archie for running the comic for the past 25 years.

2 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

SEGA still wouldn't bend to IDW. If IDW wouldn't play ball with their mandates, SEGA would either fish around or, if no one would agree to them, they'd simply not do a comic at all. The franchise doesn't really have comics as a critical product. 

Shooting themselves in the foot sounds about right.

SEGA-Sense, coined that term a while back.

5 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

SEGA still wouldn't bend to IDW. If IDW wouldn't play ball with their mandates, SEGA would either fish around or, if no one would agree to them, they'd simply not do a comic at all. The franchise doesn't really have comics as a critical product. 

Thank you. People have this absolutely insane vision of the relationship between Sega and their various licensee's.

Chris do you just seriously not understand how crazy what you're saying sounds? It'd be more suicidal to tell the license holder to fuck off because you don't like mandates.

3 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Maybe not a critical product but still a notable one. Sonic comics have existed alongside the franchise 25 of its 26 years of life.  SEGA should at least be smart enough to acknowledge that it is a gateway for people to get into the franchise just like the game and cartoons have been.

And I would hate to think they would ruin a potential easy $$$ maker over something as small as allowing previously grandfathered characters to stay in the book.  That would just make them look even worse then they already do.

Just now, SBR2 said:

Thank you. People have this absolutely insane vision of the relationship between Sega and their various licensee's.

Hence why they don't have any partners with a positive opinion of them and why all their partners are gone.

Well... Besides Sumo that comes and goes.

SEGA should be infamous in the comic industry so I'm betting IDW has already made firm demands before the agreement to work.

As long as the mandates are kept within reason I don't have a reason to worry about it. Ian was able to write around the mandates Archie got and the series was the best it had ever been afterwards. So long as it's not limiting their creative freedom it really shouldn't be too much of a problem.

20 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

SEGA should be infamous in the comic industry so I'm betting IDW has already made firm demands before the agreement to work.

I actually agree with this. I mean, if SEGA's mandates were too tight for IDW to work around, they probably wouldn't have partnered up with 'em at all. My guess is they worked things out before this was announced.

3 minutes ago, MadmanRB said:

I wont get involved until the SatAM characters are grandfathered in.

I know modern sonic fans dont like the feeedom fights because they are not the mighty god that is Shadow who "is the bestest character! evvvvvvaaaar!"

I could argue that quite a bit of the Modern Sonic fanbase has little experience with the FFs as characters. At most, they'd probably be indifferent to them instead of outright hating them. 

3 minutes ago, SonicWind said:

I actually agree with this. I mean, if SEGA's mandates were too tight for IDW to work around, they probably wouldn't have agreed to partner up with 'em at all. My guess is they worked things out before deciding to announce the partnership.

Exactly.

I highly, HIGHLY doubt IDW would have agreed to work with SEGA under the same rules Archie were forced to deal with. They would care more about making a series that would, with all due certainty, be a long-lasting comic with the greatest install base/profits.

They're not going to take on a series with some bare-boned amount of cast and locations and a ton of one-dimensional demands where Sonic can't shed a tear without threat of ending the deal.

If nothing else we might finally get a more expressive comic series at the very least. Again, highly doubt IDW would even CONSIDER playing by the same rules Archie put up with.

8 minutes ago, MadmanRB said:

I wont get involved until the SatAM characters are grandfathered in.

I know modern sonic fans dont like the feeedom fights because they are not the mighty god that is Shadow who "is the bestest character! evvvvvvaaaar!"

What.

tumblr_oj7p6keffw1vb1xkno1_250.gif

2 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Exactly.

I highly, HIGHLY doubt IDW would have agreed to work with SEGA under the same rules Archie were forced to deal with. They would care more about making a series that would, with all due certainty, be a long-lasting comic with the greatest install base/profits.

They're not going to take on a series with some bare-boned amount of cast and locations and a ton of one-dimensional demands where Sonic can't shed a tear without threat of ending the deal.

If nothing else we might finally get a more expressive comic series at the very least. Again, highly doubt IDW would even CONSIDER playing by the same rules Archie put up with.

But Sonic can't cry because he's supposed to be the big hero. Heroes don't cry it gives them a wider range of emotions that makes them more compelling as characters. Sonic's supposed to be one-dimensional and boring, that's what makes a good character, right?

1 minute ago, Speedi said:

But Sonic can't cry because he's supposed to be the big hero. Heroes don't cry it gives them a wider range of emotions that makes them more compelling as characters. Sonic's supposed to be one-dimensional and boring, that's what makes a good character, right?

Sure...

BOOM has expressive cast, near universally heralded as a result.

Compare that to the games, near universally panned.

3 hours ago, ShroomZed said:

Yeah it depends on your taste I guess, I was usually a fan of the grosser style Fleetway had. I think the difference was that Fleetway artists had a strange style that not everyone liked but were still competent artists while Archie's older artists were usually awful full-stop and weren't suited for the Sonic style at all. 

I should say too I don't really ever want the Fleetway style to come back though anyway, I just have a fondness for it. 

I can't decide whether to like your comment or not because I disagree with the second paragraph entirely...