Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Just now, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Do you really expect them to give a detailed response on if they're going to appear or not? Especially after all of the legal bullshit they went through with those characters?

Detailed? Maybe not. An answer of any kind? Yes, because they said there would be more information later.

• Promotion 2

Extremely happy to not see Sally. Good. I also really dig Tangle's design. Clearly a fighter from this MMA like look. Her tail gimmick though worries me just a tad. We have Tails who already has tail combat. Though she has a cool fist like tail which I did always want Tails to use like a 4 limb style kind like Tenshinhan. Though I am more hyped than upset so don't get wrong. Just a tad cautious...especially if this will be following Forces which it seems to be XD.

All the covers are awesome though. The one with Tails gives me hope that just like the Archie comics, he ain't gonna be written as some complete coward.

12 minutes ago, Kellan said:

Again, I’m not upset about the characters not being in, I’m bothered by the fact that they don’t seem to realize that people find the issue important. A “clear (de)confirmation” is all I’m asking for. That, and a little sense of awareness from IDW.

There are any number of things they haven't confirmed or deconfirmed because they've been very tight lipped about pretty much everything regarding the comic. I see nothing special about them not talking about the Freedom Fighters.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

Wasn't that supposed to be Marine's role?

I'm not sure. Marine and Blaze do not have that connection like Tails and Sonic have. 

2 minutes ago, Swing said:

I'm not sure. Marine and Blaze do not have that connection like Tails and Sonic have. 

That's a good thing, in my opinion. It means they have/had time to get closer they're own way.

3 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

When do you think we'll see Rough and Tumble?

Hopefully on the Issue 3 cover.

Just now, Swing said:

I'm sorry... but... who is the punk duck again? 

Tekno the Canary from StC.

So.... was she an important character? Because I can not remember her in any way. But their are over 1'000 characters that look like her so their for I can not blame myself for not remembering her. 

5 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

There are any number of things they haven't confirmed or deconfirmed because they've been very tight lipped about pretty much everything regarding the comic. I see nothing special about them not talking about the Freedom Fighters.

I mean, there’s the fact that they explicitly told us to stay tuned for more information regarding this subject. Also they just had a silhouette campaign that featured a character that looked liked Sally Acorn. And the official IDW news page has been absolutely flooded with comments and posts like this:

CBEB4746-0F8C-4D97-8E25-D7568F552D84.thumb.jpeg.d829d89cd6de52ae4d549a55fc8f46cb.jpegA98E7CB5-83B8-4E47-9023-5187809AFC35.thumb.jpeg.c0b61b39d08c62791bcbc86e09371638.jpeg

I feel like they should have noticed that this is a subject that people feel rather strongly on.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm sure the Freedom Fighters will return in some way eventually. SEGA owns them and someday they'll want to bank on the nostalgia.

• Thumbs Up 5

Tangle looks cool with a unique character power that really helps her fit in with the Classic Quartet (as well as harken back to prototype Sonic game designs) and it's neat to see Blaze so early on. (Especially since she wasn't in Forces, so she probably heard of Eggy's conquest too late to help out with the Infinite situation.) Also really excited to hear that Jennifer Hernandez is back. Now I just need me some Diana Skelly 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Marcello said:

I'm sure the Freedom Fighters will return in some way eventually. SEGA owns them and someday they'll want to bank on the nostalgia.

That day the effect could be totally worn out though. If it takes decades from them to come back then people are prolly too sour already and/or have already moved on.

There's the saying about iron and it's useful hot period after all.

So they should turn around and count to ten before they lose anything, really.

12 minutes ago, Kellan said:

I mean, there’s the fact that they explicitly told us to stay tuned for more information regarding this subject. Also they just had a silhouette campaign that featured a character that looked liked Sally Acorn. And the official IDW news page has been absolutely flooded with comments and posts like this:

CBEB4746-0F8C-4D97-8E25-D7568F552D84.thumb.jpeg.d829d89cd6de52ae4d549a55fc8f46cb.jpegA98E7CB5-83B8-4E47-9023-5187809AFC35.thumb.jpeg.c0b61b39d08c62791bcbc86e09371638.jpeg

I feel like they should have noticed that this is a subject that people feel rather strongly on.

What do you want them to do, magically re-write a bunch of planned comics because some Sonic fans misconstrued a silhouette? I guess SEGA really should've made Pikachu in a sombrero all those years ago, huh...

For everyone who thought it was Sally, there were plenty who didn't. Saying "they showed it, it looked like Sally" as though it's objective and a ruse is daft. 

• Thumbs Up 8
  • Chuckle 1

1 minute ago, Tracker_TD said:

What do you want them to do, magically re-write a bunch of planned comics because some Sonic fans misconstrued a silhouette? I guess SEGA really should've made Pikachu in a sombrero all those years ago, huh...

The difference is that SEGA obviously don't own Pikachu and it was mainly an internet joke. Sally, on the other hand, was the Face of the Archie Sonic in SEGA's eyes and was given privileges that only Scourge managed to rival.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 2

4 hours ago, Diogenes said:

Damn look at that, a new character that doesn't really look like Sally at all, who could possibly have guessed.

Anyway her design looks pretty cool and she looks ready to tear shit up so I like her so far. It's also cool to see Blaze show up this early; I really wasn't expecting her before like...3 Shadow arcs and at least one Silver arc.

Less pleased to see that issue #4 takes place in City, because fuck Forces.

I'm not suprised to be honest. I say this as a shadow fan, blaze requires much explanation. Unlike the reboot this is a completely new thing under a completely new publisher and I can totally imagine them doing explanations for each character and where they come from. Shadow requires " LAST TIME ON DRAGON BALL Z " to explain what his entire deal is, even if they don't wanna do all of it at once. And I can see when they were in the creative room for this people wanting to hold off on that. Also Shadow has a weird vibe about him, it might not be inline with what they wanted to do with the comic or some of the new creative forces behind it might be trying to figure the guy out. And combined with him being really popular and blaze missing from forces. Its not that surprising, when shadow shows up i'm sure he will get fanfare and all that but other characters are easier to explain and introduce and could use  some time to shine. Shadow will be around, he always is so i ain't worried. 

As for silver, that combined he's nowhere near as popular

Just now, DabigRG said:

The difference is that SEGA obviously don't own Pikachu and it was mainly an internet joke. Sally, on the other hand, was the Face of the Archie Sonic in SEGA's eyes and was given privileges that only Scourge managed to rival.

Great.

This isn't Archie Sonic. 

• Thumbs Up 6

Just now, Tracker_TD said:

Great.

This isn't Archie Sonic. 

You're right: it's another American Sonic comic that was formally announced right on the heels of the Archie book's simultaneously sudden and incredibly drown out cancellation, with the news coming short of saying it's the replacement under a different company.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 2

9 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

For everyone who thought it was Sally, there were plenty who didn't. Saying "they showed it, it looked like Sally" as though it's objective and a ruse is daft. 

So much this right here. People basically hyped themselves up for no

rreason and not letting   past things go and not expecting new faces

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

As for silver, that combined he's nowhere near as popular

He is easier to use, manage, and/or throw in than either of those two, though.

This is why I bailed. I knew some of you guys were gonna show you true colors. All this celebrating "it's not sally get over it archie sonic fans stop talking about it".

I used to believe we sonic fans were closer than that but the past year has woken me up. I bet some of ya'll who keep acting like the freedom fighters are some horrible disease when sega owns them and penders can't do jack about it want the partially ran-dumb Sticks involved in the main series when sonic boom is dead, you should totally forget about her.

What kellan posted leads me to believe this is for game purist/sonic forces fans only. sega/idw may not owe me an answer but if they want me buying this comic then stop leading me on about the FFs, tell me if they're in or not so I can prepare to buy this comic or ignore it.

1 hour ago, Kellan said:

I’m surprised that more people aren’t outraged right now. Like, even if you don’t like the Freedom Fighters, the way they’ve been handling their possible exclusion should be setting off major alarm bells right now.

The Freedom Fighters have been around since 1993. For goodness sake, they’re older than Knuckles! And the comics were the only thing keeping these characters alive for over 2 decades. Meaning that if they don’t make an appearance in this new series, they’ll likely be gone forever.

The fact that they might not come back isn’t what I’m upset about right now. What bothers me is that IDW hasn’t given us any indication that they care about that at all. In fact, that stunt with the silhouette, whether or not it was intended to look like Sally, has just fully convinced me that they don’t care. These characters are a big part of the series history, are beloved by many, especially comics readers, and their fate is entirely in the hands of this new comic, and IDW clearly doesn’t see the importance of any of that.

Even if you don’t like the Freedom Fighters, doesn’t this bother you? They took long-running characters from the franchise and made a big game out of their fates. I think that shows a great deal of apathy on their part, and it doesn’t fill me with confidence in their ability to set up a whole new continuity for this series. And I feel like this should be worrying everyone.

I still have faith in Flynn and his team, but IDW itself has shown me that they clearly don’t care about the things that I care about, and I don’t know how to feel about that. Mostly, I’m just worried.

I mean, Sonic Team seems to not be fond of past adaptations plus SonicX. Many know that ST wanted the FF gone and Ian had to negotiate/fight for them.  I don’t think having a long history doesn’t mean they’re relevant and must be there. The FF is from an old western adaptation. An AU, which some may see as obscure, so even if they were loved by fans they don’t have much importance as the game cast who are  base/source material and a must. Archie decided to use them and continue to post-reboot, IDW didn’t (for now). I mean, they can appear as minor characters or cameos, and Ian hinted he can introduce characters later on in the comic. Did you want them as the main characters like Archie?

Also the answer’s right there.

they clearly don’t care about the things that I care about

I think you’re angry because they’re not doing it how you want. You say “they’re not listening” but they are. Just not 100% on people who are attached and want them back. There are other people: those who don’t want them; people who would be happy if they're back but understand this is a separate new series; those who assumed FF was Archie OCs; and those who doesn't care as long as they get Sonic. 

• Thumbs Up 2