Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

51 minutes ago, Kellan said:

Detailed? Maybe not. An answer of any kind? Yes, because they said there would be more information later.

And the information is that they're not here. There's really not much else to discuss and you only seem hung up on this because you're clinging to the tiniest bit of hope that the Freedom Fighters will appear.

18 minutes ago, Marcello said:

I'm sure the Freedom Fighters will return in some way eventually. SEGA owns them and someday they'll want to bank on the nostalgia.

They have never shown a desire to bank on the nostalgia of alternate media, especially that made outside Japan. That's why they've always brandished that stuff as "irrelevant to the current image of Sonic", not just Sonic's old stuff. 

10 minutes ago, metalplix said:

This is why I bailed. I knew some of you guys were gonna show you true colors. All this celebrating "it's not sally get over it archie sonic fans stop talking about it".

I used to believe we sonic fans were closer than that but the past year has woken me up. I bet some of ya'll who keep acting like the freedom fighters are some horrible disease when sega owns them and penders can't do jack about it want the partially ran-dumb Sticks involved in the main series when sonic boom is dead, you should totally forget about her.

What kellan posted leads me to believe this is for game purist/sonic forces fans only. sega/idw may not owe me an answer but if they want me buying this comic then stop leading me on about the FFs, tell me if they're in or not so I can prepare to buy this comic or ignore it.

Well if my true colors are to move forward with a new cast of characters in a brand new comic and a brand new studio well gosh darn it I'll carry them strong.

I wonder if well get more reveals when they start the monthly issues

Uhm... I'm more affected by the loss of Breezie and Von Schlemmer (the reboot versions) and obviously some of Ian's characters than I am with the Freedom Fighters or Scratch and Grounder, except for maybe Nicole.

Hey, what happened to the other covers? Especially issue 3 and some others, they are still missing....

16 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Really thinking about it, this whole reaction

Which one? There's quite a bit of positivity to the reveal.

16 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Really thinking about it, this whole reaction wouldn't be [as much of] a thing if they didn't intentionally hype up Tangle so brazenly.

The fourth issue really should've just been an pleasantly surprising team up between Sonic the Hedgehog and Blaze the Cat.

Assuming you're referring to negative reactions, specifically those regarding the idea that this character who's not Sally, is supposedly going to be a ripoff of her, which seem to be coming from a more niche audience, why shouldn't they have hyped up Tangle? She's not Sally, they never hinted she was Sally, and we haven't gotten anything of strong merit to think she's a Sally expy.

And let's be honest, talks of a new character got more people talking than the "surprise" of a teamup between Sonic and Blaze for this new comic. A new IP which warrants hyping to plant the seeds for its first foot out the door.

I can understand people being upset, but let's not hate on the character for an idea the fans themselves thought up. I mean, we didn't even get official words hinting at Tangle being Sally in the first place.

4 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

I don't really think the company is at fault here when it was literally a bunch of fervent fans that hyped this up as being Sally :V

You guys only have yourselves to blame for getting your expectations so high, but with literally nothing to go off of.

Disregarding that since the most obvious middle point of discussion, they still went through the trouble of teasing people for 6 days about this new character that's noteworthy enough to be exclusively spotlighted alongside Sonic right off the bat and then accompanied the reveal by immediately talking her up on a level of the Classic characters.

Again, the fact that she's debuting alongside and seems to be taking design cues from Blaze doesn't help.

2 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

When a 20+ year long comic is cancelled and several of it's key unique characters are left behind, people are reasonably going to be peeved. 

Key word here.

1 minute ago, DabigRG said:

Disregarding that since the most obvious middle point of discussion, they still went through the trouble of teasing people for 6 days about this new character that's noteworthy enough to be exclusively spotlighted alongside Sonic right off the bat and then accompanied the reveal by immediately talking her up on a level of the Classic characters.

Again, the fact that she's debuting alongside and seems to be taking design cues from Blaze doesn't help.

Because it's a new IP they're trying to publish and generate interest. Which is ya know, what a company is supposed to do.

The fact they might have gave a few fans hoping for it to be Sally I'm sure was entirely unintentional. So I don't really think it's fair or reasonable to throw blame at a company for something that fans did. 

15 minutes ago, Swing said:

Really? I swear I can nor remember anything about her. 

She was quite an important character.... in Sonic The Comic. A British series published by Fleetway.

It's quite possible you just never heard about it. Only British and hardcore Sonic fans read this thing.

11 minutes ago, EmmBee said:

People's emotions are running way too high over this comic.

They will get over it. Or just not read the book. I still have my issue 0 framed from my baby years and I'm noting but stocked to see a new story unfold

2 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

When a 20+ year long comic is cancelled and several of it's key unique characters are left behind, people are reasonably going to be peeved. 

Sure, but I wouldn't have expected it to have mostly petered out after...what, about half a year? Plus the writing was on the wall long before it was officially declared dead.

Certainly I wouldn't have expected a character teaser not giving what it never promised to whip up this much controversy.

"IDW defenders", you do realize that the best way to calm "Archie-forever-fans" is to not question them?

Silently let them express their disappointment and they will move on. Try to push them into it and they can push back because you gave them an enemy to fight.

Just now, Diogenes said:

Sure, but I wouldn't have expected it to have mostly petered out after...what, about half a year? Plus the writing was on the wall long before it was officially declared dead.

Certainly I wouldn't have expected a character teaser not giving what it never promised to whip up this much controversy.

Oh, I'm not speaking for the characters reveal. If you honestly thought that was Sally, you deserved to be burned. I'm just speaking generally here. Chances of the FF returning were quite slim, and I respect that; what I'm saying is from my perspective (and I'm assuming most others who are upset) this cast of characters I've grown to love since I was a youngin' are now effectively dead until further notice, and the new comic not ensuring their survival is just another grim reminder that they're probably going to stay dead.

I don't particularly care to pay heed to the rhetoric that they weren't relevant to anyone but people who watched the cartoons, because there's absolutely no way a little child walked into a bookstore, saw Sonic, asked their Mom to buy the comic and not have been introduced to these guys. 20 years is a long time for a bunch of nobody fancharacters from a dead 90s cartoon to leave an impression, ya feel?

5 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

It's quite possible you just never heard about it. Only British and hardcore Sonic fans read this thing.

Yeah, truth is I'm not really a Sonic fan. I only keep up with Sonic because of the Game Grumps. Their Sonic let's play are the funniest stuff they ever made. 

10 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Also no-one has pointed out that Scratch and Grounder are also effectively dead and buried then. Honestly, that affects me more than any of the FF.

7 minutes ago, Jack of Tangles said:

Uhm... I'm more affected by the loss of Breezie and Von Schlemmer (the reboot versions) and obviously some of Ian's characters than I am with the Freedom Fighters or Scratch and Grounder, except for maybe Nicole.

Hey, what happened to the other covers? Especially issue 3 and some others, they are still missing....

Yeah, that sucks almost as much. 

8 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Honestly I'm worried that it won't matter how much focus Tangle gets she'll still be blindly hated on and accused of stealing the spotlight.

People do that regardless.

The only reason I don't think Sticks got caught in [as much of] it is because she was advertised as a new member of Team Sonic(with the honors/credit going to the revised version of Amy) in a spinoff that takes place in a different subseries entirely. After her concept image had been circulating for quite a while alongside other originals and the game portion of Team Sonic had been revealed for a while beforehand.

2 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Sonic Tangle said:

Which one? There's quite a bit of positivity to the reveal.

The negative, mixed, and otherwise aggrieved and argumentive reaction, of course.

2 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Sonic Tangle said:

Assuming you're referring to negative reactions, of which seem to be coming from a more niche audience, why shouldn't they have hyped up Tangle? She's not Sally, they never hinted she was Sally, and we haven't gotten anything of strong merit to think she's a Sally expy.

Then why wasn't it done on [what should have been] the alternate cover?

The Sally stuff is the primary horn of the backlash, true, but I'm mainly criticizing the rest of it.

12 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

The fact they might have gave a few fans hoping for it to be Sally I'm sure was entirely unintentional. So I don't really think it's fair or reasonable to throw blame at a company for something that fans did. 

'With Archie Alumni Ian Flynn, Tracy Yardley!, Evan Stanley, and Adam Bryce Thomas...!'

1 minute ago, DabigRG said:

'With Archie Alumni Ian Flynn, Tracy Yardley!, Evan Stanley, and Adam Bryce Thomas...!'

So you're gonna blame the alumni now for all this? I mean, blaming the company that hired them, suggests that they wasted money just to set up a joke on fans. Pardon me if I don't find IDW to be that deviously stupid.