Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Just now, Diogenes said:

Sure, but I wouldn't have expected it to have mostly petered out after...what, about half a year? Plus the writing was on the wall long before it was officially declared dead.

Certainly I wouldn't have expected a character teaser not giving what it never promised to whip up this much controversy.

Oh, I'm not speaking for the characters reveal. If you honestly thought that was Sally, you deserved to be burned. I'm just speaking generally here. Chances of the FF returning were quite slim, and I respect that; what I'm saying is from my perspective (and I'm assuming most others who are upset) this cast of characters I've grown to love since I was a youngin' are now effectively dead until further notice, and the new comic not ensuring their survival is just another grim reminder that they're probably going to stay dead.

I don't particularly care to pay heed to the rhetoric that they weren't relevant to anyone but people who watched the cartoons, because there's absolutely no way a little child walked into a bookstore, saw Sonic, asked their Mom to buy the comic and not have been introduced to these guys. 20 years is a long time for a bunch of nobody fancharacters from a dead 90s cartoon to leave an impression, ya feel?

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 1

5 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

It's quite possible you just never heard about it. Only British and hardcore Sonic fans read this thing.

Yeah, truth is I'm not really a Sonic fan. I only keep up with Sonic because of the Game Grumps. Their Sonic let's play are the funniest stuff they ever made. 

• Thumbs Up 2

10 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Also no-one has pointed out that Scratch and Grounder are also effectively dead and buried then. Honestly, that affects me more than any of the FF.

7 minutes ago, Jack of Tangles said:

Uhm... I'm more affected by the loss of Breezie and Von Schlemmer (the reboot versions) and obviously some of Ian's characters than I am with the Freedom Fighters or Scratch and Grounder, except for maybe Nicole.

Hey, what happened to the other covers? Especially issue 3 and some others, they are still missing....

Yeah, that sucks almost as much. 

8 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Honestly I'm worried that it won't matter how much focus Tangle gets she'll still be blindly hated on and accused of stealing the spotlight.

People do that regardless.

The only reason I don't think Sticks got caught in [as much of] it is because she was advertised as a new member of Team Sonic(with the honors/credit going to the revised version of Amy) in a spinoff that takes place in a different subseries entirely. After her concept image had been circulating for quite a while alongside other originals and the game portion of Team Sonic had been revealed for a while beforehand.

2 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Sonic Tangle said:

Which one? There's quite a bit of positivity to the reveal.

The negative, mixed, and otherwise aggrieved and argumentive reaction, of course.

2 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Sonic Tangle said:

Assuming you're referring to negative reactions, of which seem to be coming from a more niche audience, why shouldn't they have hyped up Tangle? She's not Sally, they never hinted she was Sally, and we haven't gotten anything of strong merit to think she's a Sally expy.

Then why wasn't it done on [what should have been] the alternate cover?

The Sally stuff is the primary horn of the backlash, true, but I'm mainly criticizing the rest of it.

2 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Then why wasn't it done on [what should have been] the alternate cover?

Is there some reason why it should've been on an alternate cover?

Okay, let's ignore the obvious ban-dodger and actually move on.

12 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

The fact they might have gave a few fans hoping for it to be Sally I'm sure was entirely unintentional. So I don't really think it's fair or reasonable to throw blame at a company for something that fans did. 

'With Archie Alumni Ian Flynn, Tracy Yardley!, Evan Stanley, and Adam Bryce Thomas...!'

• Nice Smile 1

1 minute ago, DabigRG said:

'With Archie Alumni Ian Flynn, Tracy Yardley!, Evan Stanley, and Adam Bryce Thomas...!'

So you're gonna blame the alumni now for all this? I mean, blaming the company that hired them, suggests that they wasted money just to set up a joke on fans. Pardon me if I don't find IDW to be that deviously stupid.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, Swing said:

Yeah, truth is I'm not really a Sonic fan. I only keep up with Sonic because of the Game Grumps. Their Sonic let's play are the funniest stuff they ever made. 

... and that's good enough reason to be on this forum?

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Jovahexeon Sonic Tangle said:

So you're gonna blame the alumni now for all this? I mean, blaming the company that hired them, suggests that they wasted money just to set up a joke on fans. Pardon me if I don't find IDW to be that deviously stupid.

No, I'm just pointing out how oddly ignorant the trigger of these arguments is.

4 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Sonic Tangle said:

Is there some reason why it should've been on an alternate cover?

To not break the streak of having Sonic team up with established game characters in order to overly hype up some new character over another/modern game character that is a fan favorite? (There'd still likely be arguments here, but still.)

Hell, looking at Sheep-girl's occasional reactions compared to Tangle's overall first impression is an uneven but fairly telling comparison.

7 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

No, I'm just pointing out how oddly ignorant the trigger of these arguments is.

Coincidental at best, is more the word you're looking for. They're not really obligated to word things specifically so as to not trigger fans to conjure up an inkling that a silhouette is a character they perceive it to be.

I mean, even if they knew and that's a big IF, if they knew that section of comic fans would get riled, what reason would they have not to hype the character? Even if they knew, there is nothing to suggest it being done out of malice for Archie fans. Logically speaking, not hyping up that character for what is essentially a new IP in the making would've been strategically DUMB to do, just out of fear that fans would take it the wrong way. There are always going to be fans that complain or take things the wrong way.

• Thumbs Up 5

6 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

To not break the streak of having Sonic team up with established game characters in order to overly hype up some new character over another/modern game character that is a fan favorite? (There'd still likely be arguments here, but still.)

If you look closely at the cover Tangle's on, you'll see that Blaze is also on it. 

And if you look closely at the other cover Tangle's on, Tails is also on it.

They can do both, particularly going off the reactions from folks who didn't get overhyped from baseless assumptions. 

11 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Hell, looking at Sheep-girl's occasional reactions compared to Tangle's overall first impression is an uneven but fairly telling comparison.

Eh? I haven't really noticed much of a difference, so I'm not sure what you mean by this.

15 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

I see your point, but I'd argue it'd be much sillier if IDW / SEGA didn't bring in people that have already (for the lack of a better way to phrase it) "proved" themselves, and mentioning they were previously on Archie makes sense. They could've left that out but that would've been pretty conspicuous and then people'd be complaining about that, so...

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Nice Smile 1

42 minutes ago, KoDaiko said:

I mean, Sonic Team seems to not be fond of past adaptations plus SonicX. Many know that ST wanted the FF gone and Ian had to negotiate/fight for them.  I don’t think having a long history doesn’t mean they’re relevant and must be there. The FF is from an old western adaptation. An AU, which some may see as obscure, so even if they were loved by fans they don’t have much importance as the game cast who are  base/source material and a must. Archie decided to use them and continue to post-reboot, IDW didn’t (for now). I mean, they can appear as minor characters or cameos, and Ian hinted he can introduce characters later on in the comic. Did you want them as the main characters like Archie?

Also the answer’s right there.

I think you’re angry because they’re not doing it how you want. You say “they’re not listening” but they are. Just not 100% on people who are attached and want them back. There are other people: those who don’t want them; people who would be happy if they're back but understand this is a separate new series; those who assumed FF was Archie OCs; and those who doesn't care as long as they get Sonic

Answers.

What I want are answers.

Answers for ARE THEY COMING, EVER?

I don't want them to come right now, I WANT TO KNOW IF THEY'RE COMING AT ALL.

I don't care if they're having even less paneltime than before, as long as the core is left intact.

Yes, I'm baffled for not getting answers. I'm baffled for not having any kind of closure, heck, even mangakas are often given a warning before their series are put to an end.

Yes, it can live its happy separate life, but it'll prolly need to do it without me.

And after I performed some self-studying about my preferences, I realised one thing;

the thing that made the stuff really interesting wasn't Sonic after all.

In the most deepest level of interesting, it was more about the environment he was in than Sonic himself.

I realised I really don't need this, since it feels like it wasn't about him, the other stuff is the stuff I'll miss the most.

I don't need the comics for a Sonic fix, I read them for other reasons, of course, Sonic made me pick them in the first place but the other stuff made it really interesting, interesting enough for me to keep on reading.

So excuse me being beyond reasonable, this comic seems to tell me it's either "my way or high way".

And I'll tell you I won't keep sitting and saying ok to that, even if I was to promised something awesome. I think I should just stick to my guns about this.

If I don't get answers, I'll keep on being too baffled for buying anything, I feel hurt.

Murr.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 2

They're not giving you answers because there aren't answers to give.

Sega owns the characters but probably isn't interested in using them right now. But they may allow IDW to use them in the future. Or they may not.

IDW can't come and say "we're not using these characters now but maybe some day" any more than they have already. If they start going on specifics, it won't calm people, it'll just get more rabble rabble "why are you saying you're not using Sally now if you say you can use her maybe in the future? Use her now!!!"

• Thumbs Up 5

21 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

... and that's good enough reason to be on this forum?

I would say yes. Sonic + Game Grumps makes me laugh. You can call me sadist, which I probably are, but yes, this is the reason I keep up with Sonic. Sonic is so bad, that he makes me laugh and gives me a good time. 

7 minutes ago, BlueSky said:

Anserrrrrrs

You're getting the answers indirectly (the amount of skirting around it they're doing is pretty standard PR for "no", c'mon), you just don't want to acknowledge them because they aren't what you wanted. 

Also what KKM said, cuz KKM's a good dude

28 minutes ago, orcaspla said:

banned- Once again this is why I bailed the first time. If you aren't falling in place with the anti-anything sonic cartoon-game related mods here then you get slammed. Apparently it is too much to ask that 5 cartoon characters get recurring screen timebut less than game originals.

bluesky, kellan, I don't know why you bother sticking around

FIrst things first, look at my profile pic, what do you think i wanted this comic to turn out to be?,  a direct continuation of post-SGW continuity is the answer btw,

Now, this is not what we are getting, and while i'm a bit disappointed, it's what i was expecting, until a shadowy figure appeared on a tease with Sally's head-shape-alike, i said "maybe" to myself, but did not hold my breath. While these characters (especially 'Twan) are some of my favorites they are not the only part of this franchise i like, and i'm sure they will live on via fan-art and fan-projects (like Sonic Origins for example), the only thing i want now from SEGA/IDW is a confirmation/deconfirmation on this subject to end it already. I will probably buy the first issues and give the new series a try, after all now it's way too early to say "I like it" or "I hate it" (i mean, we just got the solicits and a piece of concept art). To say there's no reason to be here if one's favorite character is not showing up anymore on the comics is not exactly what i'd call reasonable, of course this is a personal choice, but i wouldn't even started to post here in the first place if that was the case  , since i "reactivated" my account to discuss about Archie's delays (and eventual cancelation).

51 minutes ago, Jack of Tangles said:

Uhm... I'm more affected by the loss of Breezie and Von Schlemmer (the reboot versions) and obviously some of Ian's characters than I am with the Freedom Fighters or Scratch and Grounder, except for maybe Nicole.

Hey, what happened to the other covers? Especially issue 3 and some others, they are still missing....

IDW takes their sweet time getting covers out. Chances are we won't see them until around the time they release.

• Nice Smile 1

3 minutes ago, NikoS said:

FIrst things first, look at my profile pic, what do you think i wanted this comic to turn out to be?,  a direct continuation of post-SGW continuity is the answer btw,

Now, this is not what we are getting, and while i'm a bit disappointed, it's what i was expecting, 

Even though they said like, 5 times that it was a clean-slate!? 

2 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

Even though they said like, 5 times that it was a clean-slate!? 

I don't think you actually read his post.

• Thumbs Up 4

I would like to move on from the Freedom Fighters and discuss and speculate about Tangle's personality:

The IGN article has a description for her. She likes to "tangle" with enemies, so I guess get in conflict with them, to mess with their heads. She is also called a kindred spirit to Sonic (doesn't mean she will be a love interest), I read that somewhere, I think in the facebook group description. Definitely not another Sally. I also assume her name means more to it, like she will be intertwined with other people's stories. I'm looking forward to that!

• Thumbs Up 4