Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

41 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Man you guys want to complain! Forget Sally for now! With little chances, she might come later unexpectedly, but until then, forget it and enjoy the new characters!

These sorts of posts are just antagonizing and petty toward people who did want those old characters back, telling them to quit complaining because YOU like it, and you've done this quite a bit already. This lack of empathy is also really starting to wear on my nerves. I'm responding to make it clear this is no longer acceptable in this thread and any posts like this from here on will be subject to mod action. Try to at least hold an actual conversation.

Actually to be even more clear, this goes for anyone posting anything antagonizing and not at all contributive, not only for the anti-Sally crowd.

Can we finally concern ourselves with the elephant in the room here?  Damn near all of the Archie art team are confirmed to contribute in some capacity, except for Spaz and Skelly.  I mean I know there's the old saying "Save the best till last", but IDW's starting to make me a little worried :wacko:

• Nice Smile 1

14 minutes ago, BlueSky said:

Well, I suppose we're mostly the same about this @NikoS.

And I suppose you're right about that one too, I might not be reasonable about this, but I wouldn't be so stern about this if we'd have a closure and a bit more dignified handling for the situation. I'm pretty sure I'd be okay with this if that'd been the case but well, whatever. Can't agree with all the stuff anyway.

By the way, your current avatar makes it seem like you're explaining same stuff for the 5th time least and starting to sigh in frustration. Kind of funny effect actually, was it intentional?

Well, agreeing 90% is good for me : ) And i don't think you are being unreasonable, i said the guy affirming that there's no reason for us to be here 'cause our fav characters are not confirmed for the comic was unreasonable, not one's decision to stay/go. (and about the avatar, i only noted this the moment you asked me, yeah it looks like he is tired of explaining something :lol:, but i can guarantee you it was not intentional)

• Promotion 1

1 minute ago, QuantumEdge said:

Can we finally concern ourselves with the elephant in the room here?  Damn near all of the Archie art team are confirmed to contribute in some capacity, except for Spaz and Skelly.  I mean I know there's the old saying "Save the best till last", but IDW's starting to make me a little worried :wacko:

There's not enough jobs to confirm literally everyone already. Four pencillers, one per issue, plus a colourist and a writer, and the guy who made the first teasers. That's what's been confirmed. Maybe issue five is Skelly, maybe not.

4 minutes ago, QuantumEdge said:

They’d be crazy not bring her back unless she’s somewhow enjoying work at Archie which is probably bs anyway lol.

Eh on Spaz but I’m sure he’ll come back too.

The majority may have already been confirmed but don’t lose hope, they probably haven’t been confirmed yet or called in to their new positions yet so give it some time.

I like Tangle. Her design is cute and her abilities will hopefully make for interesting action. I fully believe this will be a great comic.

I also believe that IDW and Flynn should have handled the reveal differently and been much more transparent. I don't blame anyone for being disappointed or even angry.

• Nice Smile 1

4 minutes ago, The KKM said:

There's not enough jobs to confirm literally everyone already. Four pencillers, one per issue, plus a colourist and a writer, and the guy who made the first teasers. That's what's been confirmed. Maybe issue five is Skelly, maybe not.

Didn't you see VEDJ-F's post about Gray and Peppers also returning for covers?  So far as I can tell, Patrick and Diana are the only big Archie artists that haven't been confirmed.  That said, I do understand IDW not wanting to overload of confirmed artists.

3 minutes ago, Dee Dude said:

They’d be crazy not bring her back unless she’s somewhow enjoying work at Archie which is probably bs anyway lol.

Eh on Spaz but I’m sure he’ll come back too.

The majority may have already been confirmed but don’t lose hope, they probably haven’t been confirmed yet or called in to their new positions yet so give it some time.

Is she still doing Archie work?  I feel like I'd have heard. 

• Nice Smile 1

34 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

These sorts of posts are just antagonizing and petty toward people who did want those old characters back, telling them to quit complaining because YOU like it, and you've done this quite a bit already. This lack of empathy is also really starting to wear on my nerves. I'm responding to make it clear this is no longer acceptable in this thread and any posts like this from here on will be subject to mod action. Try to at least hold an actual conversation.

I apologize if I came off mean. I just wanted to shif the focus on the team's efforts to make new characters.

I will be more considerate next time.

I'm interested in New cast. I'm excited to see characters. Animals. Villians. Archie had it's day and I think them for being apart of my life for near 25 years but I'm excited for a new start and new adventures to come. I wonder does this mean ghost girl can pop up maybe. I miss her. Did she even have a name?

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Meta77 said:

I'm interested in New cast. I'm excited to see characters. Animals. Villians. Archie had it's day and I think them for being apart of my life for near 25 years but I'm excited for a new start and new adventures to come. I wonder does this mean ghost girl can pop up maybe. I miss her. Did she even have a name?

You mean the ghost from Sonic Unleashed short movie? If so, her name is Lah.

350?cb=20100204075441

25 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

You mean the ghost from Sonic Unleashed short movie? If so, her name is Lah.

350?cb=20100204075441

That's my girl!

Honestly it probably wouldn’t have mattered how they handled the marketing here. People would have found some way to get their hopes up for the FF and have gotten disappointed regardless 

• Thumbs Up 6

3 hours ago, A crocodile said:

A-fucking-men. 

Can't we finally just let go of this artifact of an obscure-ass corner of the IP that really only really 30+ year old nerds care anything about? 

I like thinking about alternate universes where instead of the SatAM/Archie stuff getting a show, it was one of the really weird ones like the Martin Adams books and a comic drug them along for the ride for 20 years and now people are desperately shouting "what would we all do without Arctur the Dragonkin?!" 

Imagine a comic that drug EVERY old alternative aspect of Sonic along like some sort of Rat King of adaptations. “So that means no more Perci, Whiffy, Digger, Alucion, Icheneumon, Ebony, and the other dozen-dozen great new characters they had?” 

• Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 1

23 minutes ago, Marcello said:

Lah had some cameos in the Archie comics, didn't she? I semi-remember seeing her. Or am I crazy?

We knew IGN would be revealing a new character on the day the countdown ended and people started saying, "Maybe it's a different character than the one teased!". In the hope for the FF, they became completely delusional and are now angry at IDW, despite them never even hinting at it being Sally or anyone we knew.

There's nothing wrong with being disappointed or even angry, but pushing the blame on IDW is wrong.

I'm not saying it was right to believe that it would be someone else after that announcement, I'm saying that people getting their hopes up isn't entirely their fault. It wasn't an unreasonable assumption that the characters they egregiously didn't give a proper answer to would be part of the reveal when the silhouette even resembled one of them. Hell, she still does to some extent, just with the colors switched around. I think they could have made it clearer that it wasn't Sally, and the resemblance would absolutely be apparent to the people who created the characters, but they didn't do anything about making either the character or the silhouette more distinct. I mean, what was stopping anyone involved from clarifying that it wasn't her as soon as possible instead of letting anyone get their hopes up?

I'm not saying they mislead anyone on purpose, but I think feeling mislead by the way things panned out isn't a product of wild false hope or only seeing what you want to. Again, I myself am not in desperate need for any of those characters (and the ones I was were already deconfirmed), but they still could relatively simply prevented the feeling of anyone getting jerked around by just explaining themselves, and they didn't.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 2

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

For a while TBH, you could legit not introduce shadow for like a hot minute. Its gonna be lit whenever he comes through so, folks can wait. And for characters like infinite, we can just if sega wants to use him anymore and wait to introduce him

Of course, they could always have multiple  minor introductions in one issue. Tikal and Chaos (maybe Rouge) in Knuckles’s issue, Marine and Nega (maybe Whisker/Johnny unless they sank) in Blaze’s issue, Cream, Vanilla, Cheese, Sticks, and Big in Amy’s, (add Gemerl, Milk, Chocola, and Chaos Gamma when and if Cream gets an issue) and so on. Like Mighty and Ray alongside Classic Sonic, Chaotix vs. Babylon Rogues...

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

8 hours ago, Diogenes said:

Less pleased to see that issue #4 takes place in City, because fuck Forces.

I hope "City" gets an official name in the book. Maybe Battle City, Ruinpolis, or Crisis Capitol.

7 hours ago, Swing said:

Maybe Tangle is Blaze's own version of Tails. Both of them, Tails and Tangle, have an ability were they have to use their tails. 

She sounds more like Blaze's own version of Knuckles, considering she sounds like a brawler.

6 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Is there any real reason for Sonic to holding onto her tail when they're surrounded by robots?

"When we join forces, the sky's the limit. DOUBLE BOOST!"

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

38 minutes ago, Shaddy the Zaphod said:

I'm not saying it was right to believe that it would be someone else after that announcement, I'm saying that people getting their hopes up isn't entirely their fault. It wasn't an unreasonable assumption that the characters they egregiously didn't give a proper answer to would be part of the reveal when the silhouette even resembled one of them. Hell, she still does to some extent, just with the colors switched around. I think they could have made it clearer that it wasn't Sally, and the resemblance would absolutely be apparent to the people who created the characters, but they didn't do anything about making either the character or the silhouette more distinct. I mean, what was stopping anyone involved from clarifying that it wasn't her as soon as possible instead of letting anyone get their hopes up?

If they did that (placing a shape that is obviously nobody we ever knew), this thread would have like 10 less pages, and the facebook comments would be more slim. We wouldn't be talking about it nor speculating...

Let's face it, it was, once again, a very smart marketing move.

Except this isn't a bait-and-switch where people already bought the comic. People got hyped up and disappointed for nothing before the comic is even available to purchase, which is only going to hurt sales if people are still sour from this whole ordeal by April. What's smart marketing about pissing people off before they give you money instead of after? Revealing a new character is always going to bring discussion, and making it clear that it wasn't Sally would only shift things away from people screaming at each other and toward actually trying to predict what kind of character it was.

• Promotion 1

I was at work so I missed the reveal and the shit-storm that was going to rain down regardless of who it turned out to be. 

Immediately upon seeing the reveal, I love the design. For months I was also certain that they weren't going to tease any Freedom Fighter characters but I spoke as if it was up in the air since I don't ever like to act as though I know something is a sure thing unless it's exceedingly obvious to me. The only time that thought waned a bit was yesterday when Silhouette-Gate was going on, though it only lasted for about an hour or so before I went back to anticipating an entirely new character. I suppose it's like when Shadow was revealed for Forces and the marketing team was trying to make it look like he was a villain and I laughed at it because I knew they were lying. Though I may have been right to not buy into that, I was wrong to then think that they had something truly special planned for him due to the Episode Shadow reveal. It turned out to be an all around farce, the likes of which I didn't see coming because my hype for a narrative with layers, development, and meaningful character interaction superseded the part of my brain that knew it most likely was too good to be true considering which development team I was dealing with. 

So far, I'm getting everything I've wanted. A world off the heels of the games, new characters to inhabit it, and a chance for the elements in Forces to actually be put to some good use. 

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Fist Bump 1

Maaaaaaan, I haven't posted here in months. Well, rather than nonsense on statuses.

I got curious and happened to peak what the IDW comics were doing. Glad to see a lot of the old guys are back on. That's nice. Not sure what I think of this new character. Guess I won't until I actually read it when I can.

But it's apparently all taking place around Forces? I haven't even so much as kept up with the news after Infinite's reveal. I might consider picking it up during a Steam sale. I think I heard something about connections between it and Mania and I haven't bothered with that either. Actually, I bought Lost World 2 years ago (full two years Purchased: Jan 22, 2016 @ 10:34pm ) and haven't bothered to open it up more than once to see if it runs. Might as well get that too.

Probably just gonna wait until a few issues are out then consider going for it. I got a lot of other games to go through. By then, the games will probably be dirt cheap and I can get around to playing them and reading the new books. See if I like where this is heading, if it's heading anywhere.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1
  • Nice Smile 1

Been awhile, nice to see some news on this comic!

Hmm new girl has a nice design! Feels fitting to the series. I like how her tail is clearly meant to grab stuff, easily could see her swinging from poles... she is a lemur afterall!  I like to move it, move it! ... Actually I think she could offer interesting gameplay if put into a game. About all i can say on her for now.

And more importantly to me personally... I am so hyped to see Blaze! and so early on to! I guess that is 1 nice thing about the Archie & Freedom Fighters characters not being here... Other characters like the amazing Blaze can finally get more screen time time! No more competition in the position as the Sonic universe furry princess character too.

It is sad to see the Freedom Fighters & other old comic characters probably getting the axe after all these years, especially sad for all the fans of the old comics. But still I think giving the new comic better focus, and giving more screen time to the game related cast will be nice and improve things overall.

However something is bugging me... Didn't they say the new comic series would be more based on the game series... but also would still be it's own separate universe and not mere game adaptations/continuations? Because this looks very much like a continuation of Forces story-line... That idea doesn't appeal to me much. Yes I love the idea of the comics being far more like the games... but I really don't want the comics to use the actual story-lines/1 to 1 exact universe from the games... if you get what i mean? Err I just really don't like the execution of the stories from the games and would enjoy seeing the comics do their own thing and not carry the baggage of the game stories. And would just prefer them using a overall similar kind of spirit to the game universe... but with far better story telling. But meh, long as the stories are good i suppose it don't really matter much... I just would really like a true beginning for a Sonic story for once, instead of being tossed in the middle of nowhere ya know?

Anyways finally I think I am interested enough in trying to get back into Sonic comics... I haven't read official Sonic comics much since the 90s really.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Shaddy the Zaphod said:

Except this isn't a bait-and-switch where people already bought the comic. People got hyped up and disappointed for nothing before the comic is even available to purchase, which is only going to hurt sales if people are still sour from this whole ordeal by April. What's smart marketing about pissing people off before they give you money instead of after? Revealing a new character is always going to bring discussion, and making it clear that it wasn't Sally would only shift things away from people screaming at each other and toward actually trying to predict what kind of character it was.

Exactly what I said a couple of pages ago;

I apologize for everything I have done. Enjoy a picture of Cy-Kill. The reason I did what I did was because IDW didn't think of, "Oh, alot of people are assuming our mystery character is Sally. I think we should just tell them it's not Sally and that should keep them quiet."

1 hour ago, SaberX said:

Hmm...is Sonic going to do things by his own without the resistance? Does that have anything to do with Tangle? Or hes gonna join and introduce her to everyone else.

It kinda seems like she has something to do with Blaze given the similar aesthetics and debut issue. Personally, I think she may also have something to do with Rough and Tumble.

1 hour ago, SaberX said:

Of course, theres aways people to be dissapointed. What would people think if this was really Sally with different design? Probably "we were expecting a new character, but got dissapointed", and so on.

Probably more like "Eh, I was never really a fan of Sally or many of the Freedom Fighters, personally. But who knows--maybe this new publisher can use them in a way that pleasing to both their fans while not going overboard. I'm not really gonna hold my breath though."

• Thumbs Up 1

I heard that commotion, whether positive or negative, can boost sales. Even if the ones angry won’t buy, the fuss could reach other people (unaware of the comic, those initially not interested, buying for the sake of trolling, etc.) and have a net increase. The opposite can happen too, of course.

Also there is a risk in giving answers, people can twist it and use it against them.

“If they can give us a straight answer that it’s (not) Sally, why bother teasing us? Bad Marketing!”
“They said the FF would be ‘back’, but it’s been 2 years! IDW lied to us!”
“They said they ‘probably’ won’t have the FF anymore, but (due to change of plans) they’re gonna have them. Untrustworthy.”
“They said they can’t bring the FF back. But they did [something similar but not unique/exclusive to FF]! That means the new characters are probably sneaky replacement/rip-off.”

I’m extremely exaggerating here, but basically if they are ambiguous people can’t quote them as evidence they are bad.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 1