Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

1 hour ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

However something is bugging me... Didn't they say the new comic series would be more based on the game series... but also would still be it's own separate universe and not mere game adaptations/continuations? Because this looks very much like a continuation of Forces story-line... That idea doesn't appeal to me much. Yes I love the idea of the comics being far more like the games... but I really don't want the comics to use the actual story-lines/1 to 1 exact universe from the games... if you get what i mean? Err I just really don't like the execution of the stories from the games and would enjoy seeing the comics do their own thing and not carry the baggage of the game stories. And would just prefer them using a overall similar kind of spirit to the game universe... but with far better story telling. But meh, long as the stories are good i suppose it don't really matter much... I just would really like a true beginning for a Sonic story for once, instead of being tossed in the middle of nowhere ya know?

Anyways finally I think I am interested enough in trying to get back into Sonic comics... I haven't read official Sonic comics much since the 90s really.

I don't want any adaptations but I'm all for starting off with a continuation. There's hardly any Sonic content out there, even fan-made comics, that don't have a root in a narrative that already existed within the game series anyway. If you're making a comic and it's got Shadow in it, it stands to reason that the events of Sonic Adventure 2 probably happened unless explicitly stated it hasn't. If Blaze is in it, and she already knows Sonic and you're not planning on diving into another story centered around how they first met then it's also reasonable to assume Sonic Rush happened. That's usually the basis I tend to work off of and it's something that is understandably harder to ignore the longer a series exists. I didn't expect them to go back and write all new origin stories for the canon characters as well. There'd be no point in having it set in a world based off the games if everyone from the games was going to have their own stories reset as far as I'm concerned. 

I wanted them to use what the games created as it's initial first bullet point and then branch off into all the lovely universe building and story expansion I know they're going to do. Not only would it be made far easier on me as someone who can FINALLY stop being confused as to the origin of a lot of the concepts that exist within the comics, but I can finally see something make good use out of the cool concepts and ideas that get tossed into the SEGA Boneyard everytime they waste an opportunity handed to them on a silver platter with each new game that comes out. My preferred situation was something that started at a point in the games that was relatively close to wherever the recent outling last left off and then take it from there and go off to do it's own thing. 

Though, again, if I'm being honest... if it actually were a Forces adaptation I'd be all for that since Forces itself fucked me over. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Miragnarok said:

Of course, they could always have multiple  minor introductions in one issue. Tikal and Chaos (maybe Rouge) in Knuckles’s issue, Marine and Nega (maybe Whisker/Johnny unless they sank) in Blaze’s issue, Cream, Vanilla, Cheese, Sticks, and Big in Amy’s, (add Gemerl, Milk, Chocola, and Chaos Gamma when and if Cream gets an issue) and so on. Like Mighty and Ray alongside Classic Sonic, Chaotix vs. Babylon Rogues...

Eh, kinda hoping they don't do that exactly, at least in the Amy issue.

Johnny ran off after the tag team fight, while Whisker could potentially return if he either didn't rust or wasn't too heavy to walk up to some land.

Also, why would Chaos Gamma be associated with Cream?

39 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

She sounds more like Blaze's own version of Knuckles, considering she sounds like a brawler.

Ah shoot, she does seem a good fit for that, doesn't she? Blaze is already more or less a Mary Sue distaff of Knuckles, after all.

Dang, I was kinda hoping we'd get something like that in a Blaze centric game instead. 

The main reason they are not just saying No they will not be in it is to most likely in the biggest case to get people to buy the comic and experiance the book without going in with false hype like all those sally fans hyping up a fake thought. If you come out and say flat out no they will not be in it they will not buy the book. by staying mum on the subject they either will not buy it or buy it to see if they are in it. Thus gaining some more sales and hopefully keeping those fans though sad sally is not in it will become hooked on a whole new comic and eventually let go of the past glued on.

3 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Blaze is already more or less a Mary Sue distaff of Knuckles, after all.

No she's not. Blaze is the Nega Sonic. Sonic is wild, wandering, and worries about what interests or concerns him. Blaze dutiful, restrained, and does what she does from following a duty granted to her long ago. She is the Prince to Sonic's Michael Jackson.

• Thumbs Up 1

At the risk of re-kickstarting the arguments, I'd like to point out that in a previous post, I alluded to the idea of Tango being perceivable as not only an expy of Sally, but of Bunnie as well.

The reason I said that?: Has anyone else noticed how her hands appear to be artificial and/or similar to the robotic hands you can get in Sonic Forces?.

15 minutes ago, Almar said:

No she's not. Blaze is the Nega Sonic. 

AlsoI thought "Nega" was generally an evil or, well, negative suffix?

Sonic is wild, wandering, and worries about what interests or concerns him. Blaze dutiful, restrained, and does what she does from following a duty granted to her long ago.

Things that could be said about Knuckles' conceptualization.

She is the Prince to Sonic's Michael Jackson.

Wait, so, just about the same damn thing? :lol: 

11 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

The reason I said that?: Has anyone else noticed how her hands appear to be artificial and/or similar to the robotic hands you can get in Sonic Forces?.

They look like perfectly ordinary hands to me.

11 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

It can have that connotation, but it doesn't have to. Photo negatives aren't "evil", they're just inverted.

• Thumbs Up 3

Either way Eggman Nega isn't even from the Sol zone, according to Rivals he's Ivo's descendant from Silver's future, so in that context it would be wrong to call Blaze the Nega-Sonic even if she is his counterpart. Neither the Sol zone nor the future are even an inversion of the normal Sonic world anyway, just different.

Nega's still probably the most uninspired (and worst-named) villain in the series, so I guess I'm glad the Sol zone can hopefully have more interesting villains while we'll probably never see the future in the games again.

• Thumbs Up 3

46 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I didn't expect them to go back and write all new origin stories for the canon characters as well. There'd be no point in having it set in a world based off the games if everyone from the games was going to have their own stories reset as far as I'm concerned.

Err I would had been fine with that myself. Seeing all the characters meet for the first time in a new universe sounds not bad to me. But again I don't care to strongly either way if the stories are good in the end.

• Nice Smile 1

1 hour ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

Err I would had been fine with that myself. Seeing all the characters meet for the first time in a new universe sounds not bad to me. But again I don't care to strongly either way if the stories are good in the end.

Eh. That sounds like it'd be a bit of a waste of my time personally. Part of the reason I was so hungry for a comic series based on the games is because the character dynamics and connections they have from the games interest me the way they are. I just wanted to see it get utilized and developed more. The games have no interest in doing that though.

If it's too different a set up a large part of the appeal is dialed back for me. Not enough to get me to stop reading of course. I still read the Archie comics despite this being the case but it's a big part of why my anticipation for the books improved once the reboot happened. 

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

In this context it doesn't dastardly. It means "similar, yet different."

21 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Things that could be said about Knuckles' conceptualization.

Only in that both are written in contrast to Sonic and introduced as rivals to him. Knuckles isn't even reserved in the Genesis Era or like Sonic Heroes.

30 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Wait, so, just about the same damn thing? :lol: 

They're different musicians who produced different bodies of work, yet they were used as models for Sonic and Blaze. Hence, similar yet different.

3 hours ago, GentlemanX said:

I wonder how long we'll spend introducing the Sega cast. At the moment, that seems like the format they're going with. Like Countdown to Chaos but with characters we already know are like their game counterparts and like three times as long?

Well it wouldn't really be considerate of them to assume everyone knows about the characters.  It wouldn't make sense to rush through the classics that we already know. That's not how you draw in newcomers too the franchise. 

That was one of Archie Comic's major issues. 

• Thumbs Up 1

If anything, I'd want them to go into unexplored territory. Exposit stuff about characters or the setting that neither newcomers nor fans would know. The games' stories are incredibly vague on any actual background or details of characters or even most locations, and for the longest time a big part of the comics has been fleshing out things the games tossed away with nary a glance.

• Thumbs Up 7

21 minutes ago, Shaddy the Zaphod said:

Either way Eggman Nega isn't even from the Sol zone, according to Rivals he's Ivo's descendant from Silver's future, so in that context it would be wrong to call Blaze the Nega-Sonic even if she is his counterpart.

That's a (appreciated) retcon though. Eggman Nega himself calls Blaze Planet "Our World."

Neither the Sol zone nor the future are even an inversion of the normal Sonic world anyway, just different.

They're similar to a point, then they contrast. That's how it works. I already pointed out Blaze, so I can bring up Marine being her version of Tails (child prodigies who also happen to be skilled pilots with special strange abilities, Tails being Player Two and knowing it while Marine fancies herself Player One).

Nega's still probably the most uninspired (and worst-named) villain in the series, so I guess I'm glad the Sol zone can hopefully have more interesting villains while we'll probably never see the future in the games again.

I won't deny any of it. I back you here.

4 minutes ago, Shaddy the Zaphod said:

If anything, I'd want them to go into unexplored territory. Exposit stuff about characters or the setting that neither newcomers nor fans would know. The games' stories are incredibly vague on any actual background or details of characters, and for the longest time a big part of the comics has been fleshing out things the games tossed away with nary a glance.

Like maybe who Cream father is, some of the childhoods of characters like The Chaotix, Rouge, Blaze, etc.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't care about characters' families, per say, unless they really contribute to a major point in that character's arc or development. If something in Sonic's childhood was a major turning point, was responsible for the way he acts, why he's in the situation he is I'd be okay with it, but I don't think there's really that much to explain otherwise. If we had some sort of big archive of character bios like Star Wars or whatever, then I can see it going there, but there's not much incentive for me to learn anything about a character's backstory when it doesn't provide major revelations to who they are as a person.

Basically what I'm saying is we should only see what we need to. Personally I $100% do not care about learning more about Cream or the Chaotix on account of me not loving them as characters. Cream mostly because she's still a tiny fucking child, but the cast closer to Sonic, maybe. I'd love to see a bit of Knuckles' actual feelings about being the last echidna or questioning what the point of protecting a big rock on an empty island is, for example. 

Or hell, why he's the last one. It doesn't even really make sense since he doesn't seem to acknowledge having ever had parents, dead or alive.

• Thumbs Up 2

15 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Like maybe who Cream father is.

Pssst... I still say it's Eggman. ;P

On another note with Cream... I wonder of that one robot still lives with her?

1 minute ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

Gemerl probably has a decent chance of showing up to flesh out the resistance and give it more relevant characters. 

I only remember him from Worlds Unite but I liked his design and personality a lot.

27 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Like maybe who Cream father is, some of the childhoods of characters like The Chaotix, Rouge, Blaze, etc.

I dunno if sega wants that, but we will see. 

Honestly, I'd rather see a full rework of Battle's story in the comics, it never quite fit in with the other games when it came out anyway, since it was released alongside Heroes and had Shadow talking about all the shit he remembers despite Heroes saying he'd lost his memories.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't care enough about Cream to want to see who her father is, though I'll admit to having my own thoughts about it from time to time.

When it comes to the Chaotix, I've often thought about stuff that's happened in their pasts but as far as parents, the only one that I even considered thinking about were Charmy's just because of the situation he's in as a six-year-old stuck with two older guys of a completely different species that also happens to have a detective's license. I've pondered about it but if given the choice I'd choose to ignore the idea of parents being explored still.

Part of what's endearing about it, actually is the mystery behind it really. I'd opt for ignoring finding out a ton about their parents in general unless it were something truly unique and creative or something that was passive enough to be ignorable.

An example of the former would be if Sonic's dad was like the hedgehog version of Van Hohenheim or some shit. An example of the former would be if Tails just briefly mentioned being orphaned as a kid because of a mildly explained event that happened with his faceless parents and we leave it at that. 

Not to mention it also depends on which characters it is. Sonic and Tails I'd probably be okay with those scenarios I proposed but the rest of them I really don't care to see at all.

At the end of the day though, I'd mostly just stick with not bothering. 

1 hour ago, Diogenes said:

They look like perfectly ordinary hands to me.

It can have that connotation, but it doesn't have to. Photo negatives aren't "evil", they're just inverted.

sonic-the-hedgehog-4-debuting-tangle-1516755512839-675x1024.jpg&key=564907664c1de2722b5efa5c04f0b53a542632cf547464ad9850bc2784befb37

Oh, you know what, it's the flat yellow squares that threw me off..

40 minutes ago, Almar said:

They're different musicians who produced different bodies of work, yet they were used as models for Sonic and Blaze. Hence, similar yet different.

...Wait, what?! Blaze was inspired by Prince?

18 minutes ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

Ah yes, Gemerl. Yeah, perfect chance to see more of him.

He's another character I felt could've easily been included in Forces(and Generations, for that matter) alongside Cream.

13 minutes ago, Speedi said:

Gemerl probably has a decent chance of showing up to flesh out the resistance and give it more relevant characters. 

I only remember him from Worlds Unite but I liked his design and personality a lot.

Him debuting alone made me happy Archie didn't heed my request to postpone my subscription for the real continuity. 

2 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Maaaaaaan, I haven't posted here in months. Well, rather than nonsense on statuses.

I got curious and happened to peak what the IDW comics were doing. Glad to see a lot of the old guys are back on. That's nice. Not sure what I think of this new character. Guess I won't until I actually read it when I can.

But it's apparently all taking place around Forces? I haven't even so much as kept up with the news after Infinite's reveal. I might consider picking it up during a Steam sale. I think I heard something about connections between it and Mania and I haven't bothered with that either. Actually, I bought Lost World 2 years ago (full two years Purchased: Jan 22, 2016 @ 10:34pm ) and haven't bothered to open it up more than once to see if it runs. Might as well get that too.

Probably just gonna wait until a few issues are out then consider going for it. I got a lot of other games to go through. By then, the games will probably be dirt cheap and I can get around to playing them and reading the new books. See if I like where this is heading, if it's heading anywhere.

Oh, the old you has come back! So nice to see you return. I thought you left from even making parodies of the series. And in case you wanted to dig into Boom  a tad more, Stuff Dissected has you covered.

https://youtu.be/n8khGCn-e0c

17 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

An example of the former would be if Sonic's dad was like the hedgehog version of Van Hohenheim or some shit. An example of the former would be if Tails just briefly mentioned being orphaned as a kid because of a mildly explained event that happened with his faceless parents and we leave it at that. 

For some reason I always saw Sonic's family as snooty rich assholes only concerned with wealth and public image. The idea of them being redeemable seems cheap to me.

I've thought about the Chaotix's parents quite a lot to be honest.

They always end up dead for some reason. 

• Promotion 1
  • Fist Bump 1

1 hour ago, Shaddy the Zaphod said:

For some reason I always saw Sonic's family as snooty rich assholes only concerned with wealth and public image.

I never gave much thought to Sonic's family beyond the extremely weird example I just posted. The idea of Sonic's family being snooty rich assholes sounds... intriguing. Not necessarily something I'd want to see but if someone wants to tackle an Elseworlds story about it, I wouldn't mind reading it. 

Basically, I'm only interested if it's something far off from the wheelhouse of what I expect. That's why I wasn't impressed when I found out who the parents for the Chaotix were. It's like, "Oh... Charmy comes from a Colony of bees and was royalty. I get it... cause Queen Bee and ... yeah..." and then with Vector it was like "He's from Downunda. The unique Brooklyn thing he had going for him was fake and he actually says shit like 'Crikey' because he's a crocodile and... those are associated with Australia... kay..."

Then Espio's was like "Yeah he's a ninja... from a clan of ninjas... and his mom is head ninja... and it's all very... predictable and boring and lame and weak and exactly what you'd have expected when being told he was a ninja..."

Shit like that. I don't want shit like that.